• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

Hi everyone it’s that time of year again when the number goes up by one, it's 2014!

First off thank you very much to everyone who contributed to the 2013 thread with opinions, feedback, help and of course most importantly keeping the Point and Click adventure love alive on GAF.

2014 will again be a big especially with many of the legends from the early days of point and click returning. Games like Tex Murphy, Broken (Tim Schafer) Age, Gabriel Knight’s 20th Anniversary, Dreamfall Chapters, Spaceventure and more to come and of course to highlight.

This year I am going to try my very best to prioritise the thread and update it as much as I can. I know I keep saying these things and life gets in the way but I do enjoy a good PnC and played quite a few last year but wasn’t as active as I should have been in sharing the opinions.

Now lets get this thread started.

This year I have decided to start a GAF Community via Steam.

Point n Click Adventure GAF

This certainly won't mean the end of the thread AT ALL, it's just a place where people can add themselves to if they are on Steam.
Get all the PnC crowd in the one place basically.
So please feel free to join the group, it's an open group at the moment.

Handy GAF links and threads all worth a read through.

The Point n Click adventure thread of 2013
The Point n Click adventure thread of 2012.
The Point n Click adventure thread of 2011.
Is the graphical text-based adventure game genre completely stone dead?
Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles
Recommend me some point and click adventure games
thread of point-n-click adventure games getting some love (56K!)

This is a new section for the 2014 thread. I will keep a comprehensive list of the OT's that will be made for PnC games this year.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure!
The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

I'm going to separate the posts, so they will go in order.

Post #2 Upcoming Releases 2014
Post #3 Recently Released 2014
Post #4 Kickstarters 2014
Post #5 Sales, Special Offers and Bundles 2014

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 - Smoke and Mirrors

Bigby continues investigating for the 'now-serial killer' walking the streets of Fabletown. He also attempts to find answers from Faith's pimp: Georgie Porgie, and becomes more involved with Beauty and Beast's affairs.

WolfAmongUs_Jack_650.jpg

Broken Age

Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster--but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.

1954: Alcatraz

"1954: Alcatraz" takes place in San Francisco of the 50’s. Joe was sentenced to 40 years imprisonment due to an armed robbery and he is eager to break out of "The Rock". Therefore, he needs help from his wife Christine who is facing her own problems in San Francisco. Their gangster fellow Mickey threatens Christine to kill her if she refuses to hand over the swag. However, where is the prey? Joe only knows where the hideout is and, therefore, the entire North Beach is searching for the jackpot.

Silence: The Whispered World 2

With completely new 3D visuals, The Whispered World 2 will take players back to Silence, a world made of dreams. We accompany Noah, a teenager, who lost his little sister Renie in the hazardous real world and now hopes to find her again in Silence.

Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father 20th Anniversary

Sins of the Fathers is Gabriel Knight’s origin story. As the game opens, he’s a struggling novelist and bookstore owner in New Orleans, a sarcastic charmer who likes the ladies and hates commitment. As he soon learns, he’s also the unwitting descendent of a long line of Schattenjägers, or shadow hunters–his destiny is to be a modern day witch hunter. In Sins of the Fathers Gabriel investigates the Voodoo Murders, a series of ritual murders taking place in the swamps and back alleys of New Orleans, with help from his long-suffering assistant Grace Nakimura and his bumbling pal Detective Mosely.

Moebius

Malachi Rector has a photographic memory and a genius for history. He’s parlayed that skill into a lucrative career evaluating antiques for prestigious auction houses. But when a secret government agency called F.I.S.T. (Future Intelligence Science & Technology) hires him to look into the life of a dead woman, Malachi realizes that there may be a deeper level to history, and even to space and time, than he ever suspected.
Moebius is the first full adventure game Jane Jensen has designed since “Gray Matter”, and the first one she has designed/directed since “Gabriel Knight 3”

Tesla Effect - A Tex Murphy Adventure

Tesla Effect begins with Tex Murphy—the down-on-his-luck gumshoe in the post-apocalyptic future—regaining consciousness on the fire escape next to his office with a gaping head wound and an injection mark on his arm. With the last seven years of his life wiped from memory, the private eye has no choice but to figure who was behind the mysterious attack and why.

Prominence

After living for generations as persecuted refugees, the Letarri people set their sights on a far-off planet as a promising new home. But when the interstellar mission to colonize the new world goes terribly awry, the fate of their people falls into the hands of a lone adventurer. Now it's up to you to unravel the mystery of what happened. Can you save them and their mission, or is it already too late?

Lost Horizon 2

20 years later, but not tired! Fenton will plunge into a daring adventure again in Lost Horizon 2.

Heaven's Hope

Talorel, a student of the stunt flying academy in Heaven, is close to pass the crucial final exam that would turn him from a candidate into a real angel. Yet, after a collision with an unknown flying object he crashes – on planet earth in the 19th century, near the town of “Heaven’s Hope”. If the archangels should find out that he passed the Heavenly Barrier without allowance, Talorel would be cast out forever. No wonder he raises heaven and earth to be back as soon as possible and above all in time for the final exam. Myriel and Azael, Talorel’s friends, also try to help him with being able to fly again by giving more or less useful advice. If there not only were the problem that the town “Heaven’s Hope” is in the firm grip of the Inquisition and that other forces as well have a lively interest in hindering Talorel’s return to heaven…

Wretcher

Wretcher is a horror point-and-click adventure game that strives to follow the old ways. Its style is heavily influenced by Clock Tower, the first horror adventure game of its kind (and still one the best), but also by Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill.

Randal's Monday

Randal will live the worst day of his life over and over again. He'll have to do everything necessary to fix the situation he has caused. Even if it means going to jail or destroying humanity. He'll have to deal with angry cops, common delinquents, retired priests, incompetent box-office clerks and even some talking skeletons. Shots, kicks, blood, money, time looks and a lot of pissed off people. Randall will have to fight to get the ring and his life back, before the universe collapses. Nobody says it's going to be easy, but it's worth a shot.

Stasis

Disoriented, drowsy and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. There is nothing to greet him but the static of a nearby monitor and a cold steel floor. Thick, green liquid covers the floor and then his body, leading to trail to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on…?
Stasis is an adventure game that puts you in control of John Maracheck, a man searching for his family in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you are required to solve puzzles and use objects around you to progress and to find Maracheck’s family.

Fran Bow

Fran Bow is a Horror Point and click game that tells the story of Fran, a young girl struggling with a mental disorder and an unfair destiny. It is a trip to the deepest and darkest side of human psychology, delivered through blood and tears.

Blackwell Epiphany

A dead man's soul cries out against the force of a ferocious blizzard. He cries for help. He cries for answers. Then he screams as he is torn apart like damp tissue paper.
This wasn't the first time, and it won't be the last.
The police are powerless to stop it, so the duty falls to the only who can. What force could be so powerful - and so malevolent - that it would destroy the very core of a life in order to get what it wants?
Rosa Blackwell and Joey Mallone mean to find out, even if it means risking themselves in the process.

Sherlock Holmes - Crimes and Punishments

It is now your turn to truly become Sherlock Holmes and lead your own investigation - actually, your investigations, as 7 captivating cases await you in Crimes & Punishments! Murders, disappearances, spectacular thefts, and other investigations will bring you to the cutting edge of the detective written in the pure tradition of Conan Doyle’s novels. Each case offers real freedom to players, who will have to make important moral choices instead of simply enforcing justice by the book. All decisions have an influence in the game, so bear the weight of your choices!

Dreamfall Chapters

Dreamfall Chapters is a game made for both fans of the saga and new players who are looking for an adventure unlike any other: one that crosses the divide between two completely different and original worlds.
With this latest game in the saga, we will recapture the heart and soul of The Longest Journey and improve on the immersion and game mechanics of Dreamfall in order to bring you a fitting, satisfying and emotional conclusion to the Dreamer Cycle.

Gods Will Be Watching

Gods Will Be Watching is a game about hard decisions and moral dilemmas in order to survive. A series of dramatic puzzles where not only the mathematic outcome counts but also the ethical approach to the problem. There's also no good or evil, just decisions, with only you as the judge of your actions. Is eating your friends the best way to stay alive, or just the easier?

Asylum

Decay surrounds you, dread around every corner. You feel imprisoned while traversing the endless corridors… Asylum is a chilling journey through the intricate floors of the Hanwell Mental Institute, in which unimaginable atrocities have occurred in the past. Over four years in production, this horror adventure aims to marry cutting edge visuals with thrilling storytelling to give you the ultimate experience in fear. From the designer of the award-winning and cult sleeper hit Scratches.

Real Myst: Masterpiece Edition

For Myst’s 20th anniversary, we’d like to give you a glimpse of what we’ve done with realMyst. Here’s a list of a few features we think you’ll look forward to.
Deferred Dynamic Lighting with realtime shadowing.
Day/night cycles… including Channelwood.
Updated water effects with realtime reflections.
Classic Controls. Explore every inch using standard 3d controls, or choose to relive the experince using classic point and click controls.

Armikrog

Doug TenNapel, creator of Earthworm Jim™ (Interplay) and The Neverhood™ (Electronic Arts) has partnered with Pencil Test Studios, to create what some have called The Neverhood's "spiritual successor" -- a clay and puppet animated adventure game called ARMIKROG. Without giving too much away, Armikrog follows the adventures of a space explorer named Tommynaut and his blind alien, talking dog named Beak-Beak. They crash land on a weird planet and end up locked in a mysterious fortress called Armikrog. Then...the adventure begins!

Jack Houston and the Necronauts

In the year 1999, retired test pilot Jack Houston is recruited by the Venture Aeronautics and Space Transportation (VAST) corporation for one last mission: to man the first rocket to venus. His mission is clear: pilot the argon plasma rocket Bimini to venus, take readings and test her systems, then return with a full report for a second crew of explorers. However, something goes terribly wrong en route and Jack is forced to crash land in an alien ocean. When he awakens, the world he finds is one of ancient ruins, deadly flora, savage beasts and giant tripod robots wielding scorching death rays. He also uncovers a glint of hope deep in the jungle that could be his key to salvation, if only he can harness its power.

Spaceventure featuring Ace Hardway

SpaceVenture is a sci-fi comedy adventure game that combines interplanetary exploration, puzzle-solving, and space travel- not to mention “pant loads” of pop culture satire and some good, clean “potty” humor.

Quest for Infamy

Quest For Infamy is a classic point and click adventure game, in which you assume the identity of 'Mister Roehm' a man trying to start over after running away from a shady past. He’s come to the little town of Volksville only to discover there’s so much more going on in the valley than meets the eye! Come along and take a walk on the wild side with Roehm and discover just how infamous you might be.

Mage’s Initiation: Reign of the Elements

D'Arc is sixteen years old. He has trained extensively in the elemental arts for the past decade of his young life, under the discerning eyes of the Mage Masters of Iginor. Confined to an existence of academics and magical mastery in their towering hall, the inquisitive initiate often wonders what it would be like to set foot outside in the world he has been secluded from; a world that his Masters deeply shun.

Shadowgate

"The last thing that you remember is standing before the wizard Lakmir as he gestured wildly and chanted in an archaic tongue. Now you find yourself staring at an entryway which lies at the edge of a forest."
So begins the legend of Shadowgate - the granddaddy of all 'point and click' fantasy adventure games! This unique adventure paved the way for a host of adventure games to follow.

This one is reserved to support ALL kickstarters of the PnC Adventure kind.
Please share and I will link to the Kickstarter OR feel free to PM me if you want one highlighted.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This reminds me, I NEED to remember to get I have no mouth and I must scream on steam before the sale is over

Card Boy

Banned
Fenton looks like a badass in Lost Horizon 2 compared to the dweeb he was in the original. I can't believe its set 20 years after the first game.

My to get list.

Broken Age (Backed it)
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father 20th Anniversary
Tesla Effect - A Tex Murphy Adventure
Lost Horizon 2
Blackwell Epiphany
Sherlock Holmes - Crimes and Punishments
Dreamfall Chapters

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome thread! Looking forward to Broken Age, Moebius, Dreamfall Chapters, and Blackwell Epiphany (though it'll be sad to say goodbye to Rosa and Joey). Also a lot of games that I haven't been following but have piqued my interest in the OP... gonna be a crazy good year for PnC's.

I'm looking forward to Moebius, I backed Pinkerton Road/Moebius and had access to the full game in beta form but I never played it. Like to go in with everyone else when it's released.
Also since it was beta didn't want anything unpolished ruining the experience.
Did anyone have access to it and try it?

I am still updating the OP and will be doing some more tomorrow.

Haunted

There'll be shit games mired in traditions, missing what really made those games of our youth great and there will be the competently produced German games no one talks about a couple months after release again, but I honestly believe that this year looks to have some real special, standout games that will (hopefully) appeal to and reach beyond the usual pnc fanbase.

Let's go, Ragnar, Tim.

inm8num2

I shouldn't say this but I'm worried about Moebius, or rather about how it will be received. I've played through the entire beta and have enjoyed the game overall. The story is intriguing, the characters are strong, and there are some good puzzles. It's another quality Jane Jensen story and game. Yet, I have this feeling that people are going to judge the game solely on some technical/graphical limitations and not really give it a chance.

Gorger

This year looks very promising for the point and click genre so far. Can't wait for most of these games!

Tizoc

Lots of great looking PnCs releasing thsi year X3.

Oh and I just ordered my new laptop, so I can now FINALLY start playing all those PnCs I've collected over all those gog and Steam sales XP.

Mr_Zombie

I shouldn't say this but I'm worried about Moebius, or rather about how it will be received. I've played through the entire beta and have enjoyed the game overall. The story is intriguing, the characters are strong, and there are some good puzzles. It's another quality Jane Jensen story and game. Yet, I have this feeling that people are going to judge the game solely on some technical/graphical limitations and not really give it a chance.

I'm still excited about getting new Jane Jensen's game, but I would lie if I'd say that technically wise Moebius looks bad in trailers. Especially characters that are very weirdly build - have too long limbs and/or joints placed in places that simply look wrong. Add stiff animation. :/ Nothing that would deter me from playing the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game won't bring masses.

I see a new Blackwell game is planned to be released this year. Sweet. I finished the whole series this Christmas and had great fun playing it. Interesting stories and good (logical) puzzles; I had to use walkthrough once, though, because it didn't hit me that I have to re-enter Susan's room in hospital to activate certain dialog (I knew I had to do something with the dog, to take it out, but didn't know how to do that). It was also nice to see the game evolve both technically (although I still think that the third game was the best graphic-wise when it comes to backgrounds and sprites) and mechanically (Joey's was simply a helper in the first game, in the fourth one he had lengthy playable sections; also, Rosa getting a myPhone was a blessing, because you didn't have to return to home every time you wanted to check something on the Internet).

Man just a couple of years ago no one would have imagined that P&C games would have the renaissance we're seeing today. While there were still good games coming out of Germany and some others (e.g. Blackwell), thank god for Kickstarter which is mostly responsible for the explosion of hopefully great games we'll be getting soon.

Subscribed to the thread. Looking forward to another great year of P&Cs.

Less then two weeks until the backers get their hands on the Broken Age early access! :)

We get it a bit earlier than when it officially goes on sale on Steam right?

Either way, I still can't make up my mind about whether I want to play part 1 as soon as it comes or wait for the full game which can potentially take another 6 months or more.

We get it a bit earlier than when it officially goes on sale on Steam right?

Either way, I still can't make up my mind about whether I want to play part 1 as soon as it comes or wait for the full game which can potentially take another 6 months or more.

Yep. In the last episode they were saying that the backers will get the game a couple of weeks before it's available for the public, and that they hope to be able to fix stuff from the backer feedback before that release.

Sloane

Banned
Could actually be a pretty decent year with Broken Age, Moebius, Sherlock, Tex Murphy, and maybe Dreamfall Chapters. Gabriel Knight still looks pretty bad to me but I guess I'll play it nevertheless. Lost Horizon 2 will suck judging from first impressions which is too bad.

Card Boy

Banned
The steam sale is concluding, anyone got recommandations from Steam's offerings?

Because i'm passionate about PnC games

header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg

Blackwell Bundle 75% off @ $4.99.
Includes all 4 games

header_292x136.jpg

Gemini Rue 75% off @ $2.49

If you want something like Snatcher cross Blade Runner

header_292x136.jpg

Resonance 75% off @ 2.49

header_292x136.jpg

Puzzle Bots 75% off @ $1.24

header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg

Syberia Bundle 75% off @ $3.74

header_292x136.jpg

To the Moon 70% off @ $2.99

header_292x136.jpg

Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack 91% off @ $0.44

Other stuff worth noting is all the Sherlock Holmes games are 75% off @ 2.49 each except for Testament as are the Runaway games.

Tizoc

Well gang do I bite down on Space Quest Collection on Steam for $15?
It's been 1 and a half year since it was any less than that and it hasn't gone as flash or daily in any previous sale.
Do I get it now or hold til the next sale?

szaromir

Banned
Those Kickstarter-funded games are looking to be the same low-budget stuff we've been getting for the last decade, if someone expects massive improvement (s)he's in for a disappointment. A few of them will be good, but there's also been many good games all those years.

Titles I'm looking forward to the most are Backwell Epiphany, The Whispered World 2 and Asylum (it's not in the OP WTH?).

Those Kickstarter-funded games are looking to be the same low-budget stuff we've been getting for the last decade, if someone expects massive improvement (s)he's in for a disappointment. A few of them will be good, but there's also been many good games all those years.

Not Broken Age at least, it looks pretty fantastic in motion.

Titles I'm looking forward to the most are Backwell Epiphany, The Whispered World 2 and Asylum (it's not in the OP WTH?).

Nothing wrong with low budget. More variety is good regardless of how it looks or how much it cost to make.

szaromir

Banned
Not Broken Age at least, it looks pretty fantastic in motion.
It looks good, but then again so do all Daedalic games, but they vary in quality greatly.

Nothing wrong with low budget. More variety is good regardless of how it looks or how much it cost to make.
Nothing wrong indeed. WadjetEye games are true classics of the genre (except Resonance in any case). I'm just saying I don't expect much to change this year, contrary to the OP.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's been 1 and a half year since it was any less than that and it hasn't gone as flash or daily in any previous sale.

No matter if it'll be discounted in the future, the Space Quest Collection is worth the $15, so I'd say go for it. Is it really that expensive, though? It shows up for me as on sale for €7.49 and a normal price of €9.99.

There'll be shit games mired in traditions, missing what really made those games of our youth great and there will be the competently produced German games no one talks about a couple months after release again, but I honestly believe that this year looks to have some real special, standout games that will (hopefully) appeal to and reach beyond the usual pnc fanbase.

Let's go, Ragnar, Tim.

I wish The Inner World got some more love...
iTEjGcJ5riV1j.gif

Ragnar and Tim, sitting in a tree...

nny

Great job, Fry! Here's hoping to a very point-and-clicky 2014! May the genre continue with the strength it has shown in the last few years and may the KickStarters prove worthy of our pledges!

On the requirements it says Windows 2000/XP; I have no idea how well it runs on newer OS. gog would be a safer bet, but their sales are over. :/

jimi_dini

Yes get it (or get the awesome physical Space Quest Collection Series from ebay).

And then use ScummVM to play Space Quest 1-5. And enable undithering for Space Quest 3.

Space Quest 4 has quite a few nasty speed issues and all of them get patched/fixed by ScummVM. And it's now also possible to get speech + subtitles at the same time for SQ4 (you have to use a daily build for that feature though).

On the requirements it says Windows 2000/XP; I have no idea how well it runs on newer OS. gog would be a safer bet, but their sales are over. :/

The resource files should be there and in that case ScummVM will be able to play them. Which means playable on iPhone, PC, Mac, Wii, etc.

Don't worry Asylum has been in the OT for several years now, I am adding as I go and updating with new stuff.

About to sit down on the PC with cup of coffee and get updating.

I wouldn't miss it, have always liked those style of games. Also it's from the guy who gave us Scratches, so Asylum should be great.

Tizoc

No matter if it'll be discounted in the future, the Space Quest Collection is worth the $15, so I'd say go for it. Is it really that expensive, though? It shows up for me as on sale for €7.49 and a normal price of €9.99.

Hmm 7.50 Euro comes to around...$10 right? How about I trade you for it? I've got Contrast if you're interested in that game.
Here's my Steam ID, I'll be online for the next few hours if you're up for a trade ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/tizoc789/

EDIT: Oh and reason I want the Steam ver. is because it has the VGA ver./remake which gog.com doesn't have.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm 7.50 Euro comes to around...$10 right? How about I trade you for it? I've got Contrast if you're interested in that game.
Here's my Steam ID, I'll be online for the next few hours if you're up for a trade ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/tizoc789/

Sorry, I'm not at home until tomorrow evening (so I don't have access to my Steam password) and the deal is over in just under 2 hours.

Maybe someone else from Europe is willing to help you out here?

szaromir

Banned
Don't worry Asylum has been in the OT for several years now, I am adding as I go and updating with new stuff.

About to sit down on the PC with cup of coffee and get updating.

I wouldn't miss it, have always liked those style of games. Also it's from the guy who gave us Scratches, so Asylum should be great.
Ah, cool. Asylum uses all the overused horror tropes, but Scratches was just brilliant and the main developer is such a cool guy I'm very interested to play his next game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'll be buying & playing every pnc that comes to ps4 & vita this year... hopefully it's more than just dreamfall & broken sword!

inm8num2

Ah, cool. Asylum uses all the overused horror tropes, but Scratches was just brilliant and the main developer is such a cool guy I'm very interested to play his next game.

I met Agustin - very nice, charming guy. I think he's one of the true genuine people out there. He's supported a shit ton of adventure projects. Plus, he has a hilarious, wicked sense of humor.

I don't recall if a release date has been pinned down yet, but Asylum is as high on my radar as anything else. I'm hoping it comes by February or March, but it could be later.

The Agustín Cordes section on the Adventure Gamers seasons greetings video was the best.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/25825

I want a giant ESC button for my desk.
(as I typed this I decided to google it and it's a bloody desk lamp!)
Now want one even more.

Also none of this makes sense unless you have seen the video.
http://youtu.be/xF_INzomp5U?t=7m23s

Tizoc

Sorry, I'm not at home until tomorrow evening (so I don't have access to my Steam password) and the deal is over in just under 2 hours.

Maybe someone else from Europe is willing to help you out here?

Heh I'm leaving for work soon so guess there's no dice.
Ah well no biggy there'll be the Summer Sale in a couple of months and hopefully a daily deal XP

Top Bottom