• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

MRORANGE

i2sGQAueZolcK.gif

Use the spoiler tag button in this thread for story revelations please!

The Wolf Among Us is a five episode series from the creators of the 2012 Game of the Year: The Walking Dead. Based on Fables
(DC Comics/Vertigo), an award-winning comic book series, it is an often violent, mature and hard-boiled thriller where the characters and
creatures of myth, lore and legend are real and exist in our world.

igxb7pEtHxrBR.gif

Platforms: Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Price: $ 24.99 / £ 18.99 / € 22.99
What you get:

Episode 1: Faith (Early October - Should be out this week)
Episode 2: Smoke and Mirrors (TBA)
Episode 3: A Crooked Mile (TBA)
Episode 4: In Sheep's Clothing (TBA)
Episode 5: Cry Wolf (TBA)

Retail version after all episodes are released, you can get a special edition disc at Telltale's website.

System requirements (PC recommended):

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2GHz or equivalent
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 1024 MB RAM (Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c sound device

System requirements (MAC recommended):

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1024 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Additional Notes: Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics or Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

iQk16rWjzeAtA.gif

As Bigby Wolf - THE big bad wolf in human form - you will discover that the brutal, bloody murder of a Fable is just a taste of things to
come, in a game series where your every decision can have enormous consequences.

- Your choices matter: it’s not only WHAT you choose to do that will affect how your story plays out, but WHEN you choose to do it
- A mature and gritty take on characters from fairytales, legends and folklore who have escaped into our world.
- Play as Bigby Wolf: formerly the most feared monster among the Fables, now Sheriff of Fabletown and protector of those he used to hunt.
- Bigby must restrain the beast within if he is to earn the trust of those around him.
- Will you approach a situation calmly or unleash your inner rage? The way you act will determine how others respond to you.
- Set before the events seen in the first issue of the comics – you don’t have to know the characters or the world to play!

FAQ

Is this game like The Walking Dead?
If you’re a fan of The Walking Dead, we think you’ll like The Wolf Among Us. You’ll feel right at home with the controls and the way that the
game plays. Like The Walking Dead, it is an adventure game focused on story and characters. More importantly, unlike many other games,
The Wolf Among Us is driven by the choices that YOU make: we see you as the final collaborator in telling the story of the game.

What is ‘Fables’?
Fables is an Eisner Award-winning comic book series was first published in 2002 by Vertigo, an imprint of DC Comics. Written by Bill
Willingham, the series tells the tale of the characters and creatures of myth, lore and legend who have been driven from their homelands to
seek refuge in our ‘mundane’ world.

The Wolf Among Us is about fairytale characters and creatures? It’s for kids, right?
Absolutely not. The Wolf Among Us, like the Fables comic books it’s based on is a mature experience. It is violent and gritty and deals
with adult themes. These are not the characters and stories from sanitized animated movies; they’re bloody, sexy and have never been on
the side of a child’s lunchbox.

Does The Wolf Among Us play in a similar manner to The Walking Dead?
If you’ve played The Walking Dead, you’ll feel very comfortable with the game’s controls. There have been changes though, reflecting
feedback from you, our players, and the differences between the characters and world of Fables versus those of The Walking Dead. Lee
Everett and Bigby Wolf are very different people in very different situations.

Do I need to have read the Fables comic books in order to enjoy the game?
No. The game is set before the events seen in the first comic book, so you don’t need to know anything about the world or the characters,
but if you are a fan of Fables, we think you’ll enjoy seeing the characters and places you’re familiar with brought to life in a video game.

So who do I play as?
You are Bigby Wolf, THE Big Bad Wolf of story and legend. Bigby came to the mundane world several hundred years ago along with
many other Fables as they escaped from their homelands, fleeing from the tyranny of ‘The Adversary’. Bigby is Sheriff of Fabletown; an
incredible detective with preternaturally powerful senses and the ability to revert to his original form – that of a giant wolf. His dark past
means that even though there is a pact between all Fables, stating that the events of the homelands are in the past and are to be
forgiven, many do not trust him. He is feared, and although that’s often useful in his line of work, it can present him with problems.

What’s Fabletown?
Fabletown is an area of New York City where many of the Fables who escaped their homelands live in exile. They are hidden from the
mundane world through magic and subterfuge. Those that cannot pass as human must wear a magical ‘glamour’ to fool mundane eyes
if they are to remain in Fabletown. Fables that cannot hide their true nature must live in seclusion, in up-state New York, on ‘The Farm’.

Who can I expect to meet in this game?
You’ll meet characters that you know…or think you know. Beauty and the Beast are an interesting couple and Ichabod Crane is
Deputy Mayor. Colin the Pig - of three little pigs fame - is a regular (unwelcome) guest in Bigby’s apartment, and the Woodsman is
someone that Bigby has ‘history’ with. A flying, drunken money from the land of Oz is a librarian of sorts, and the assistant to the
Deputy Mayor is a certain Miss Snow White. These are just a few of the Fables you’ll meet in The Wolf Among Us.

How and why does choice matter?
Player choice is the key mechanic of a Telltale game and it’s what makes our games unlike just about every other game out there.
You are the final ‘author’ of the story that you’ll experience because the things that you do and say affect the world around you. Your
decision or action could cause an immediate effect, or it might not be felt until later in the episode or even later in the season. Because
the choices you make are yours, it means that your experience of The Wolf Among Us could be very different to that of a friend.
Furthermore, you’ll often come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around too long deciding which
option to choose during a conversation, reflecting the pressures or real-world decision-making.The Wolf Among Us adds a new
dimension to the way that choice matters. For the first time in a Telltale game, it not only matters WHAT you choose to do, but WHEN
you choose to do it. Time is always ticking and even the Big Bad Wolf can’t be in two places at once. You’ll have to deal with the
consequences choosing where to go and what to deal with at any given time.

How long is each episode?
It really depends on the player, but an episode can be completed in around 2 hours (that’s 10 hours for the whole season). Having
episodes of this length means that most people will be able to get through them, and we want that to happen. The game is not designed
to present super-hard barriers and will not force you to grind through it in any way. We want you to complete an episode so that you’ll
experience the story and be ready for the next episode.

Why does the game look the way it does?
We were inspired by the work of Mark Buckingham, artist for the comic books.

iezedthJwrmNs.gif

wSNnYVH.png

Replicant

Wait, this is coming out now? Nooo. I still have so much backlog.

How much is it anyway? If there is retail version I may wait until that then since I'd rather get it on disc.

I haven't read the comics (shame on me, I hear some of it is amazing) but I need to get this, looks like it is going to be great, love the art.

I've stopped reading the comics (too many sidestories. blah), but I'm still really looking forward to this. That art style is just.... hnnng. Hoping Telltale nails this like they did The Walking Dead.

Mafro

Had no idea this was out this week. I loved the Walking Dead so I'll definitely be getting this, I keep meaning to get started on the Fables comics as well.

Omikaru

This looks so good. I'm really, really excited for this.

I was thinking of holding off (aka hoping) for the possible Vita port of this, but seeing the screens and reading the OT, I know for a fact I won't last long after this is finally released. Thinking I may as well just bite the bullet on PC and at least get the 10% discount...

syko de4d

twd was a masterpiece for me. I hope the wolf among us will be as good as twd. Twd has opened my eyes and showed me how a good drama tv series story could be implemented into a game.

I had no idea this was out so soon. If I didn't have a ton of other shit to play through right now I'd be there day one.

Tucah

you speak so well
I had no idea it was going to be released this soon, great news.

Not the hugest fan of the Fables comic but if this is even half as good as Telltale's TWD game I'll be happy.

vocab

I preordered. I have no clue about the source material so hopefully it doesn't leave me in the dark.

morpix

Man, I can't wait. But I will. I want the bluray (or at least download) with the whole season on it. Can't stand waiting for the next episode.

The Wolf Among Us adds a new dimension to the way that choice matters. For the first time in a Telltale game, it not only matters WHAT you choose to do, but WHEN you choose to do it. Time is always ticking and even the Big Bad Wolf can’t be in two places at once. You’ll have to deal with the consequences choosing where to go and what to deal with at any given time.

Huh. Assuming this doesn't get annoying or obtuse like an old Sierra game, this could be interesting to see.

Do we know the writers yet? I know Famous and Video Games didn't work on this, of course, but there's other good writers at Telltale.

MRORANGE

I haven't read the comics (shame on me, I hear some of it is amazing) but I need to get this, looks like it is going to be great, love the art.

Very excited about this.

Never read the comics, but I love the concept.

Had no idea this was out this week. I loved the Walking Dead so I'll definitely be getting this, I keep meaning to get started on the Fables comics as well.

I preordered. I have no clue about the source material so hopefully it doesn't leave me in the dark.

Do I need to have read the Fables comic books in order to enjoy the game?
No. The game is set before the events seen in the first comic book, so you don’t need to know anything about the world or the characters,
but if you are a fan of Fables, we think you’ll enjoy seeing the characters and places you’re familiar with brought to life in a video game.

Sorian

Banned
Huh. Assuming this doesn't get annoying or obtuse like an old Sierra game, this could be interesting to see.

Do we know the writers yet? I know Famous and Video Games didn't work on this, of course, but there's other good writers at Telltale.

Whitta, did you get any writing in on this bad boy?

Squishy3

I bought it. So we'll see how well this goes. Really hope it doesn't have the wonky save transfer bug between episodes that TWD had on PC though. It was easily fixed on the user's end, but it was still really dumb that it happened.

x-Lundz-x

Really looking forward to this, but I thought for sure there would be iOS release. I really enjoyed walking dead on my iPad,

Zomba13

I think I'll wait till all episodes are out and play through them that way. Same way I did the Sam and Max games and The Walking Dead.

How and why does choice matter?
Player choice is the key mechanic of a Telltale game and it’s what makes our games unlike just about every other game out there.
You are the final ‘author’ of the story that you’ll experience because the things that you do and say affect the world around you. Your
decision or action could cause an immediate effect, or it might not be felt until later in the episode or even later in the season. Because
the choices you make are yours, it means that your experience of The Wolf Among Us could be very different to that of a friend.
Furthermore, you’ll often come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around too long deciding which
option to choose during a conversation, reflecting the pressures or real-world decision-making.The Wolf Among Us adds a new
dimension to the way that choice matters. For the first time in a Telltale game, it not only matters WHAT you choose to do, but WHEN
you choose to do it. Time is always ticking and even the Big Bad Wolf can’t be in two places at once. You’ll have to deal with the
consequences choosing where to go and what to deal with at any given time.

after playing walking dead...i call bullshit.

Tempted but will wait for confirmation that it's not a bugged mess like TWD was on PC. Because well, TT will never ever patch it anyhow (yeah, still bitter).

Ledsen

after playing walking dead...i call bullshit.

Technically it's quite correct. Every choice you make has a consequence and it affects the world and the characters around you. Two players aren't likely to have the exact same playthrough. Now whether you think those consequences are far-reaching enough or not is up to you.

Wazzy

Banned
Great OP.

I didn't realize an episode would be releasing this week. I'm super excited to play it with friends.

Top Bottom