• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Finished sprinting through the game as reserved/nice Bigby. I'm interested in what you guys think is better for replay, 'mean' or quiet.

I don't think I can recommend quiet when it leads to so many bizarre pauses while actors shuffle about for the next scene. It leads to a lot of close-ups of Bigby glancing around, staring into the abyss as others look at him worriedly.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just finished it. Loved it all.

Didn't think about the ending twist until I came in here and made sure that what I was thinking was true.

(Ending spoilers)
I chose to go after her in the end but that's only because I didn't fully realize what was being implied. Now that I know what actually happened I'm thinking I should have just let her go.

But man, I cannot wait for Season 2. Gonna have to start reading FABLES now that I'm done!

tsab

Just finnished the season in 2 sittings. All the time I was thinking that they need to nake a Sin City game in the style of this. I kept myaelf spoiler free from the game and story and went in fully surprised.

Cant wait for season 2 and I must order the graphic novels now!!!

Also I laughed at the "Gren will not remember this" at the bar

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished Season 1. Great game through and through, sure the later episodes are a bit short (but I guess its because of the alleged leaks that caused the re-writes), still, great writing. Great characterization and the little zinger at the end really nails the noir aspect of the entire thing.

Ending spoilers
I chose to follow her at the end, but Bigby just walks slowly, I'm guessing if they do a follow up, its gonna be like the ending to Usual Suspects where by the time Bigby reaches around the corner, she's long gone. Although, in my ideal ending there would have been a third option where bigby would say "Faith ?". You would see Nerissa stop walking and the camera would cut to black as soon as she's about to turn her head.

-Digits-

Just finished it up.

Now that it's all said and done, do we think that the story got a massive re-write after someone picking up all of the clues in episode one?

I do, the story still came out good but there were so many things along that way that just felt like they sprouted up without much foreshadowing and I think that was a result of the rewrite and not wanting people to blow the lid on all of the new stuff being added which in the end, made things suffer. I feel like we went from too much foreshadowing to not enough. Or maybe the boy who cried wolf theory was never accurate but that character showing up everywhere in episode 1 was just too much of a coincidence and being nowhere after that point is a clear enough sign to me

I'm pretty sure I spotted that guy a couple of times in later episodes. At least once in a car just randomly driving by. When he kept showing up in the first episode it seemed obvious he'd have some role to play and it does seem odd that this was never expanded upon. So either they deliberately deceived our expectations or the story got rewritten after episode one.

so, what's the reason that there's blood on the spikes of the fence to the right of the Woodland's apartment entrance? It looks like someone might have slipped while going over those bars but there's never any followup to that moment at all. There's nothing in the ending or in the leadup to it that really explains that one thing

that particular thing is the only item that i really feel stinks of being a causality of a rewrite. It thought the rest of the story was consistent otherwise.

so, what's the reason that there's blood on the spikes of the fence to the right of the Woodland's apartment entrance? It looks like someone might have slipped while going over those bars but there's never any followup to that moment at all. There's nothing in the ending or in the leadup to it that really explains that one thing

that particular thing is the only item that i really feel stinks of being a causality of a rewrite. It thought the rest of the story was consistent otherwise.

That is actually explained in the final scene if you pick the dialogue option mentioning it.

Just got done with Episodes 4 and 5 back to back after putting it off for quite a while.

I shouldn't have done that, it was amazing, Episode 5 in particular was sublime. Episode 4 felt rather barebones though after the climactic ending of Episode 3.

It figures though that the one adversary who could bring out the Final Form of Bigsby would be Bloody Mary.

Also, I was hoping for a Snow-Wolf scene at the end for some added closure (they never had the "talk" about how they meant to each other as I was hoping for) but the alternative we got with "Nerissa" was pretty damn good too.

kd-z

Finally had a chance to play through Episode 5.

Now, up to this point Wolf Among Us has pretty much been one of my favourite games ever and I was sure TellTale wouldn't screw up the ending.

They did not, though their tech/my PC almost did, as it crashed (I mean completely froze - the PC, not the game) five times over the course of this episode. It was insanely infuriating, I had to play through a couple sequences two times.

If there's something I didn't like about this it was how
the last bit, Bigby figuring it out went completely over my head. Apparently Nerissa = Faith? That's cool and all, but, honestly, the last time I saw Faith was in October of last year, and even then briefly. Making it a little bit clearer would be cool, to make the last choice more a case of ideals and not just being curious what the heck was going on.

That said, some things that were just perfect:
Vivian killing herself. Bloody Mary in her creepy as hell, savage final form. Bigby going all out, too. The solo conversation with the Crooked Man. The Crooked Man almost getting everyone on his side.

Also, TJ :<

What a game.

Salih

finished the whole season. something i didn't understand - maybe someone can help it:

The picture showing Crane and Snow: Did Lily use glamour on herself to look like Snow and seduce Crane so the three girls (Lily, Narissa and Faith) have a picture to blackmail their pimp Georgie so they can leave the pudding&pie for good?

Also Lily wasn't killed in the room 207? Why was there blood then?

JoeBoy101

It's Narissa, the little mermaid. She was glamoured as Faith in the beginning of Ep1.

That's one of the theories, but I disagree. Mainly because of two things:

1) Swineheart never confirming that it was Faith's head.
2) Faith's Fable: the donkey coat. Using a disguise so she could hide and escape. She did it again, manipulating the situation into where she could get away free and clear. First scene was the real Faith, after that I think it was glamours.

LordOfChaos

I always thought
that Faith still might be alive and the head was a glamored version of someone else, like Snows head was that troll lady. I never made the connection with Narissa though. So faith was also pretending to be Narissa for Frankie, and Frankie never knew?

Enjoyed E5 very much.

LordOfChaos

He wouldn't if there were two glamours at place: a person glamouring as another and vice versa.

When he was going to
kill her, wouldn't she be all, "I'm not Faith"? Wasn't he in love with Narissa, so he may have listened? Why would Narissa voluntarily die?

Mr_Zombie

Is it worth replaying the game with different choices? Overall I'm happy with how the story went in my game (I tried to play a neutral/chaotic good cop most of the time - sometimes it bit me in the ass, though), but wouldn't mind returning to the fantastic world of TWAU. However, I don't want to ruin the illusion of choice. So are the differences between various choices meaningful and really affect how the story goes, or are those only smoke and mirrors?

LordOfChaos

Is it worth replaying the game with different choices? Overall I'm happy with how the story went in my game (I tried to play a neutral/chaotic good cop most of the time - sometimes it bit me in the ass, though), but wouldn't mind returning to the fantastic world of TWAU. However, I don't want to ruin the illusion of choice. So are the differences between various choices meaningful and really affect how the story goes, or are those only smoke and mirrors?

Seems to end a similar way for anyone, for better or worse. Different "Choices" lead you down the same paths in the end.
I didn't really feel like any of the "___ will remember that" crap played a significant role. The only true choices were what to do with the Crooked man in the end, but apart from his fate not much change. Maybe I'll try being a complete dick next playthrough.

Drac84

Season one retail came out today (in America) on PS4 and Vita. I have both systems, but would prefer to play on Vita. Has anyone tried the Vita version yet? Is it a mess? Thanks in advance.

Kazaam

Played the first 4 episodes on PS3 quite some time ago, but finally got the time and managed to finish this game just now. While I really enjoyed the noir atmosphere and characters and even parts of the story (first episode was exciting and intriguing, but afterwards it all went downhill..), I knew this would be good only if the ending would pay off. Unfortunately for me it didn't and I found it actually incredibly disappointing.

For the last episode, The Crooked Man was so disappointing. The trial was incredibly lame. I chose that route just to see what the Crooked Man had up his sleeve (since he wanted so much to be judged in front of the Fables) and it turned out to be completely nothing. Why did he not shoot Bigby and chose the trial I won't be able to understand...

And then there's that ending. That pretentiously confusing mess of a rushed panicked ending. At least it wasn't something like "it was all a dream". And I'm a bit angry reading around that TT actually got away with such an ending and people actually found it interesting and intriguing... Why?! The theories make literally no sense! But then again most of the story makes no sense. Which reminds me again that this series was written along the way. I'm pretty sure there was a full story at first, but for some reason it got changed and dropped into a spiral of confusing mess. Too bad, as I find the world and characters really appealing.

Never forget:

ACrookedMile_zpse92fbffb.png~original

Kathian

Banned
Almost finished but fucking hell this ahs been out for how long? Third time I've had to restart the game because of bugs. I just had "Your choice is blank and some teeth walking about" there lol

Is it that complex a game? No.

shwimpy

Can anyone with the PS4 version confirm there is an inverted y camera option? Couldn't play Walking Dead because it include it.

Kathian

Banned
And then there's that ending. That pretentiously confusing mess of a rushed panicked ending. At least it wasn't something like "it was all a dream". And I'm a bit angry reading around that TT actually got away with such an ending and people actually found it interesting and intriguing... Why?! The theories make literally no sense! But then again most of the story makes no sense. Which reminds me again that this series was written along the way. I'm pretty sure there was a full story at first, but for some reason it got changed and dropped into a spiral of confusing mess. Too bad, as I find the world and characters really appealing.
4]

Entire items are dropped [was there a way to give Toad the money you find everywhere?] from episode to episode - after one is the first. Its clear they had a mystery but ditched it after they decided to go a more direct story-telling route.

Nothing really fits after the first episode; the end at least makes sense but the "THAT PIECE OF CLOTH" was fuck off ridiculous and lazy; have the guts to change things if you think you need to but don't pretend 'it was alll planned'.

Worst is the mirror; why isn't it working now and more importantly why couldn't they make a model that fitted the mirror? Ridiculous.

Entire items are dropped [was there a way to give Toad the money you find everywhere?] from episode to episode - after one is the first. Its clear they had a mystery but ditched it after they decided to go a more direct story-telling route.

Nothing really fits after the first episode; the end at least makes sense but the "THAT PIECE OF CLOTH" was fuck off ridiculous and lazy; have the guts to change things if you think you need to but don't pretend 'it was alll planned'.

Worst is the mirror; why isn't it working now and more importantly why couldn't they make a model that fitted the mirror? Ridiculous.

Yes you can give Toad the money. Snow still makes him go to the farm though since he doesn't have the glamour.

Not sure what you mean by the mirror at all.

Mr_Zombie

It didn't work because
Crane broke it and took one shard of it so Bigby and Snow wouldn't be able to find him
. Without the shard they couldn't fix the broken mirror (or they could, but it would take a lot of time IIRC).

And to be honest, I didn't notice any contradictions in the story, nothing that screamed "welp, we changed things around but didn't think everything through". I even replayed the first episode recently and a lot of things were foreshadowed.

For the last episode,
The Crooked Man was so disappointing. The trial was incredibly lame. I chose that route just to see what the Crooked Man had up his sleeve (since he wanted so much to be judged in front of the Fables) and it turned out to be completely nothing. Why did he not shoot Bigby and chose the trial I won't be able to understand...

When they were talking about a trial
I really thought it would be an official trial; you know, with judges, procurators, defenders and all that. Instead there were Bigby, Snow and a bunch of random characters you met in the game. That was a really anti-climating ending. However, I found the Crooked Man to be a really charismatic character; even though I tried to play a good/neutral cop, he managed to make me and Snow look even, or maybe even worse than him to the point that there were moments during the trial I really started to doubt myself and thought about letting him free.

I'm surprised there's a debate over whether
it was Nerissa or Faith
at the end.

In Chapter 1,
you can ask the magic mirror to show you Faith's father and Faith. If you ask to see Faith's father it shows you a skeleton, so it will show you dead people. If you ask to see Faith the mirror won't, saying "My lips are sealed." I think that's proof enough that Faith wasn't dead.

There is one pretty big plot hole I think I noticed though, maybe someone can point out something I missed. In Chapter 4
you find out that Vivienne and Georgie made the ribbons basically as some kind of marketing ploy for their club. But how does Georgie know how the ribbons work? If you read the Book of Fables entry on Vivienne it explains that she actually had to leave her ex-husband because he kept asking about the ribbon and at one point almost took it off and she had no way of telling him the consequence of that. So how does Georgie know?

That whole thing seemed really poorly written to me. Vivienne tries to make herself seem innocent, and I get the idea that you're supposed to sympathize with her. The ribbons were just supposed to make the club more welcoming, and no one was supposed to get hurt. But what if a ribbon accidentally came undone? What if a patron or john, none of which have any idea of what the ribbons do, undid one with no intention of hurting the girl?

I still really liked the game (got it a few days ago and blew through it), but that whole scene felt dumb compared to the rest of the story and dialogue.

I'm going to have to look into the leaks and rewrites, that's pretty crazy. I thought the plot was interesting though, I would have never guessed they were winging it as they went.

Fjordson

Picked this up over the weekend on PS4. Holy hell, this is good. I like it way more than The Walking Dead.

On Episode 5 at the moment so can't read any of this spoiler discussion, but I love the game. And the performance on PS4 isn't total shit. A nice change of pace from Telltale games on 360.

Seems like there isn't much chance for a second season, but I would absolutely play one if they ever got around to it.

Fjordson

Finished it. Incredible game overall, really loved it. Hope they do a season 2.

But I'll be honest, the very final scene and twist went completely over my head. Maybe I'm just dumb, I dunno, but I'm not quite sure what just happened :lol

Tizoc

Finished it. Incredible game overall, really loved it. Hope they do a season 2.

But I'll be honest, the very final scene and twist went completely over my head. Maybe I'm just dumb, I dunno, but I'm not quite sure what just happened :lol

Well either
Faith has been glamored as Nerissa all this time or
Nerissa wanted to get revenge for her friends and left Faith's head over at Bigby's building

Fjordson

Well either
Faith has been glamored as Nerissa all this time or
Nerissa wanted to get revenge for her friends and left Faith's head over at Bigby's building
I kinda wondered if that first one was true, but I don't know, without anything after that little exchange I didn't see the point in that twist. Can't figure out why she would do that or why that's interesting.

I'm probably missing something. Or maybe that explanation will be left for season 2.

Robso

No spoilers:

Hmm, recently been playing the Xbox One version. Hopefully it's not just me but, when the game transitions to action and also, at times when auto saving, the game will just freeze momentarily and then come back and you can carry on playing.

Does this happen for others with the One version? Also, out of interest, does the PS4 version suffer this also?

No spoilers:

Hmm, recently been playing the Xbox One version. Hopefully it's not just me but, when the game transitions to action and also, at times when auto saving, the game will just freeze momentarily and then come back and you can carry on playing.

Does this happen for others with the One version? Also, out of interest, does the PS4 version suffer this also?

Not Wolf, but Walking Dead season 2 did this constantly. It was rare, but sometimes it would freeze for at least 10-15 seconds. Real fucking annoying.

Robso

Not Wolf, but Walking Dead season 2 did this constantly. It was rare, but sometimes it would freeze for at least 10-15 seconds. Real fucking annoying.

Yeah, it's one of the few faults I've had with the Wolf Among Us. It can really take you out of the experience. What console did you have issues with TWD on?

RedAssedApe

Banned
bought this over the weekend for $5 on PS4. marathon-ed the thing because the plot and setting had me hooked. ps4 had a few hitches but generally ran ok. the most jarring was actually in the intro to each chapter. game and audio would stutter when transitioning between scenes

started off wanting to be nice bigby because of snow's look of disapprovals. by the end i just didnt care because hitting people or generally being mean was more fun (as is usual)

ugh...that cliffhanger though lol makes me want to read the comics. way more so than walking dead

bought this over the weekend for $5 on PS4. marathon-ed the thing because the plot and setting had me hooked. ps4 had a few hitches but generally ran ok. the most jarring was actually in the intro to each chapter. game and audio would stutter when transitioning between scenes

started off wanting to be nice bigby because of snow's look of disapprovals. by the end i just didnt care because hitting people or generally being mean was more fun (as is usual)

ugh...that cliffhanger though lol makes me want to read the comics. way more so than walking dead

The Wolf Among Us takes place about 20 or so years before the comics, so if you want the comics for an answer to that cliffhanger, you're not gonna get it.

Aside from that, the comics are amazing. You really should read them. The game barely scratches the surface of the Fables universe.

about to finish episode 2

it's really fucking obvious (I think?) that Ichabod is the killer now. He asked Snow to bring wine to his massage and there was the wine bottle there, he keeps her as his second in command, he was visibly upset when I told him he didn't care about her death etc.

edit: HAHA FUCKING CALLED IT

Top Bottom