• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

Haunted

Playing The Dream Machine, Victor mentioning that all of this is still happening on the very same day Chapter 1 started out really drives home how ridiculous it is that we've literally waited for such a long time to follow a story that takes place within the span of a couple hours.

What I'm saying is that the lazy mover in the lobby has been on his lunch break for over 2 years at this point. :p

Finished Black Mirror 1, steam play time 27 hours. The atmosphere in the game is awesome and some of the puzzles are really cool. I liked the riddle puzzles for the first key quite a bit. The game is really buggy on steam and I had to quickly button through dialogue multiple times to avoid having the game crash. The ending is also kinda bad, but since I can immediately jump into Black Mirror 2 its not that big of a deal. BTW All the Black Mirror games are currently 3.99 on Steam, just bought Black Mirror 2 and am going to jump into it tonight.

TripleSun

Man I played through the Black Mirror games all in like a week, they were sooo good. It makes me sad remembering there won't be anymore lol

Berto

What I mostly remember about Black Mirror was the great classic Gothic horror atmosphere and the atrocious voice acting.

What I mostly remember about Black Mirror was the great classic Gothic horror atmosphere and the atrocious voice acting.

Eh...it really didn't bother me that much. Samuel was annoying at first but then you got used to it. The worst voice actor in the game is definitely the gardener Henry. OMG is he terrible.

Card Boy

Banned
Castle game (Hidden Object style PnC), The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura (has decent reviews and is a tradional PnC) and House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster Collector's Edition which is another Hidden object PnC that has favourable reviews on Steam (89% possitive)

Q5BZhkU.png

Indieroyale 2 days left.

I just played Cognition: Erica Reed for an hour or so, just enough to complete the opening sequence. There's a lot to like about it, but on three occasions the interface disappeared and only showed up after a delay of several seconds, and clicking hotspots stopped working entirely. This caused me to fail the timed sequence when you're fighting the killer twice because the game literally wasn't responding to clicks. That left a pretty bad first impression: if you're going to put in timed sequences, you better make fucking sure your interface works all the time.

I'd heard the game had some polish and jank issues, but is that a widespread problem? Can I expect to see it more if I keep playing?

I'd heard the game had some polish and jank issues, but is that a widespread problem? Can I expect to see it more if I keep playing?
I quite enjoyed it on the whole, and I know its seen a crapload of patching since I finished my play through in summer of last year, but yeah, it was frequently buggy.

No crash bugs, stuff where characters would sit on nonexistent chairs, or Erica would have locomotion errors (my favorite being when she walked along the floor like Ocotodad for a short while). A bit janky, but nothing that killed my enjoyment of the game. There's some above average puzzling and good story pacing ahead of you, but the game lacks polish and not just in QA.

But I did dig it.

epmode

I'd heard the game had some polish and jank issues, but is that a widespread problem?

I've played three games from Phoenix Online. The developer either does not have enough money to successfully execute a high resolution adventure game or they don't want to spend what it'll take.

Whatever the case, all three games suffer from poor 3D models, animation to match, and an interface that's clearly unsuited for a mouse. I'd like to see them go more low-key. I mean, Wadjet Eye's games run circles around Phoenix's aesthetically, for a fraction of the cost.

epmode

The iOS port of The Longest Journey is kind of not good, BTW. The whole game's there and it looks about as nice as we can hope but they did a pretty bad job with the touch interface. It feels more like a hack than a real solution.

• It's hard to look for hotspots. In the PC version, you simply mouseover objects. Easy, always works. In the iOS port, dragging your finger around the screen accomplishes the same thing but it has this irritating side effect of automatically activating the hotspot if you leave your finger there for longer than a fraction of a second. Sometimes the character will start walking when you lift your finger.
  • There's an option in the PC version that allows you to skip the interminably long animations and and pathing by clicking the mouse or the ESC key, I forget which. It's useful! But if you enable the same option in the iOS version, you'll be activating that shit accidentally every three seconds. I have it turned off until I figure out the little interface quirks.
  • Dialogue options beyond the first three or four choices are basically hidden and the game doesn't make it clear how to display them. You have to swipe to the left or right and there's no corresponding animation for proper UI feedback. The dialogue options just change instantly.
It's functional and I'm enjoying myself but Wadjet Eye's iOS ports are handled much better than this one.

starsky

The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura (has decent reviews and is a tradional PnC)

Zerzura is made by the same developer of Black Mirror 2 & 3, so try it if you like Black Mirror. The setting is not gothic though, more like a fantastic adventure in the desert style.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Surprised nobody mentioned recently how broken Steam Black Mirror was considering people are talking about the series. Loud screeching sound issues that caused random crashes were everywhere. Nordic recently patched the steam version and fixed the issues after months of bitching. Good news i guess. Now the Black Mirror games are preserved on steam. Damn well better be after they removed the first game from GOG

Surprised nobody mentioned recently how broken Steam Black Mirror was considering people are talking about the series. Loud screeching sound issues that caused random crashes were everywhere. Nordic recently patched the steam version and fixed the issues after months of bitching. Good news i guess. Now the Black Mirror games are preserved on steam. Damn well better be after they removed the first game from GOG

Yeah the first game has some major issues. It almost became unplayable at some points because when you'd pick up a quest related item the game would crash after the first few lines of dialogue, if you let Samuel speak that is. My way around this was to click through the dialogue as fast as possible which for some reason would bypass the crash allowing me to continue. I thought the game was fantastic but it has a middling score on steam and it is most definitely deserved. I doubt they'll patch it though because I can't imagine it sells enough to justify it. As a contrast Black Mirror 2 has been running perfectly with no bugs or glitches...but I don't know if I like it as much as the first one.

starsky

I didn't know about that, I bought mine from GamersGate a long time ago.
Strange that some versions work better than others though, I guess they must have modified it to work on Steam. But at least they fixed it now so it's all good.

Gabriel_Logan> Too bad you have to skip the dialog. I find Samuel's voice to be hilarious.

TripleSun

I accidentally bought mine off Steam and just torrented the Gog version and switched out the voice files. Gotta do what you gotta do.

RAIDEN1

I brought Broken Sword 2 re-mastered edition few days ago from GOG! Quite good so far! Played it breifly before when it first came out, hopefully this time I'll complete it!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I didn't know about that, I bought mine from GamersGate a long time ago.
Strange that some versions work better than others though, I guess they must have modified it to work on Steam. But at least they fixed it now so it's all good.

Gabriel_Logan> Too bad you have to skip the dialog. I find Samuel's voice to be hilarious.

GOG was the only version that worked digitally. After a month the publisher removed it from GOG, leaving the broken steam one. Even the pubs said on the steam patch they fixed it to work like the GOG version now.

Yeah the first game has some major issues. It almost became unplayable at some points because when you'd pick up a quest related item the game would crash after the first few lines of dialogue, if you let Samuel speak that is. My way around this was to click through the dialogue as fast as possible which for some reason would bypass the crash allowing me to continue. I thought the game was fantastic but it has a middling score on steam and it is most definitely deserved. I doubt they'll patch it though because I can't imagine it sells enough to justify it. As a contrast Black Mirror 2 has been running perfectly with no bugs or glitches...but I don't know if I like it as much as the first one.

They did patch it though.

How recent did they patch it? I played in October and it was still there. Luckily I had purchased the version from GOG before they pulled it, so I managed to beat it with that version.

TripleSun

Really good list for only $6. If only I didn't have them already lol. Runaway is one of my most nostalgic series in PnC adventures.

Not that we should have expected a point&click adventure from it, but that they're actually showing of platforming/jumping sequences and scenes that look like QTE sequences is very worrying. If they're just a small part of the game, ok, but it does give the feeling that this will be a very linear and casual game, built more around cutscenes then gameplay/puzzle solving.

The last game odd gentleman worked on was pretty bad, so I'm not really hyped much for this.

Really hope they do pull out something worthy of kings quest of course, but...

epmode

I'm not sure that showing off a bunch of action sequences is the best way to promote a new King's Quest game.

Do I sound like I'm always down on modern adventure games? It's hard to be optimistic when I only see worthwhile games coming out of one or two studios.

Mr_Zombie

Based on the trailer I would say this is an action adventure game, not adventure game. There shown barely anything but platforming, something that looked like a QTE sequence and some cut-scenes. Graphics and art direction seems nice, but I'm still worried :/

daydream

Banned
Not that we should have expected a point&click adventure from it, but that they're actually showing of platforming/jumping sequences and scenes that look like QTE sequences is very worrying. If they're just a small part of the game, ok, but it does give the feeling that this will be a very linear and casual game, built more around cutscenes then gameplay/puzzle solving.

I have the same worries. They did find an interesting look, though, gotta give them props for that.

I was rather surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response on GAF, however.

Do I sound like I'm always down on modern adventure games? It's hard to be optimistic when I only see worthwhile games coming out of one or two studios.

I know where you're coming from. I think this year I've only truly enjoyed Blackwell 5 and Shadowgate(Although Quest for Infamy wasn't bad and I haven't had time to try Tesla yet).

Top Bottom