• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Card Boy

Banned
SptwBgH.png

Hi everyone i thought i might take the reins from Family Fry. I will keep this one fairly basic this time around.

6MrzwQH.png

Point n Click Adventure GAF

The Steam group is aimed at getting all the PnC crowd in the one place. So please feel free to join the group, it's an open group at the moment so anyone can join.

oBvjiQa.png

The Point n Click adventure thread of 2014
The Point n Click adventure thread of 2013
The Point n Click adventure thread of 2012.
The Point n Click adventure thread of 2011.
Is the graphical text-based adventure game genre completely stone dead?
Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles
Recommend me some point and click adventure games
thread of point-n-click adventure games getting some love (56K!)
Free Adventure Games - The Official Thread of Wonder and Amazement!!

Card Boy

Banned
3Lkg3P9.png

Anna’s Quest

Adventuring across a fantasy world, you are the titular character running away from a witch who’s imbued her with telekinetic powers. Naturally you have a teddy bear sidekick who was once a human boy and a quest to cure your grandfather.

Armikrog

Being an adventure game done in claymation, Armikrog may be 2015’s most 1900s game. It climbed an impressive $900,000 Kickstarter mountain back in mid-2013, but everything’s been quiet on the kilned front since the end of a secondary funding campaign except for some backers-only updates.

Broken Age Act II

A successful and well received opening chapter didn’t stop the communal raised eyebrow at Broken Age, the original Kickstarter success story, needing to be split into two parts.

Dead Synchronicity

Dark, dystopian point and clicking with a ludicrously beautiful art style, Dead Synchronicity is also about, seemingly, the end of time. It’s a mishmash of interesting ideas that will hopefully avoid the pitfalls common to time-manipulation storytelling.

Dreamfall Chapters

The continuation of the Longest Journey series – or specifically, a sequel to the sequel, Dreamfall. Dreamfall Chapters was crowdfunded and the first part came out near the end of 2014, and the rest should continue the story of Zoe and Arcadia.

else Heart.Break()

The wonderfully named story of a programmer moving to a new city, meeting people and falling in love. Plus their attempts to stop the evil of the ruling classes. There’s a lot of simulation going into building the city so it feels real, trying to emulate a fully connected network of computers than can be modified.

Telltale’s Game of Thrones

We’ve five more episodes of Telltale’s spinoff to the ridiculously popular series to come and our Alec thinks it will be something quite unlike their previous efforts if it continues as it started. Waiting for second episode reviews to confirm its “stayed good” is usually a sound tactic with Telltale, mind.

Kentucky Route Zero

Starting in 2013 and continuing on to 2015 the slow-burn release of episodes and intervals in our favourite on-going story of the secret subterranean highway will come to a close soon.

King’s Quest

Rebooting one of the most fondly remembered series of adventure games from the 90s with an all new dev team. An episodic series with the now-old hero of the original games telling new stories set around the same time.

Life Is Strange

An episodic tale about Max, a woman who realises she can rewind time. Always a shock. It’s downbeat, focused on the relationships between its characters. There’ll be five episodes in all.

Minecraft: Story Mode

Telltale’s latest project is even further out of left-field than the surprisingly good Tales From The Borderlands. So newly announced there’s not a lot of info beyond it being set in the Minecraft world and inspired by its community.

Murder

Details are very light about the retro point and click adventure set in cyberpunk Tokyo. You play as a police officer investigating a series of murders all in the same style, while suffering from nightmares about a murderous android with a god complex. The two are likely related.

Obduction

Suddenly whisked away from Earth by a mysterious object, Obduction quickly becomes about exploring the new reality you find yourself in. Made by the folks behind and deliberately evoking Myst.

Octopus City Blues

Live life as a lowly ‘tentacle-cutter’ in a city built around a giant octopus. Yep. OCB begins with the main character experiencing dreams of twisted creatures and setting off on an adventure to help the inhabitants of Octopus City, becoming embroiled in a conspiracy as he goes. Sounds bizarre, looks sorta lovely.

Paradigm

Feels like a classic LucasArts adventure in the modern era. Every element of the weird, mutated universe is designed for humour and the art is gorgeous. Successfully Kickstarted thanks to a demo that should still be available.

Silence: The Whispered World II

The original Whispered World starred a clown named Sadwick with an infuriatingly annoying voice. This sequel takes place in the same world but changes the protagonists. It looks beautiful but, sadly, Sadwick is due to return as a non-playable character.

Tales From The Borderlands

Telltale’s other midway project, this was supposed to be the dud. Witty, clever and managing to stand on its own for those unfamiliar with the series.

The Devil’s Men

From the writer of Memoria, this adventure game tells the story of two women attempting to solve a series of murders and find a lost father in a dark, steampunk world. It’s promised that solving puzzles in different ways will significantly alter the flow of the plot.

The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça and Pizzaboy

Warning: not an actual dog, do not be fooled. Based on an independent comic book of the same name, this point and click explores a supernatural underworld while cracking a few jokes. It’s very prettily drawn too.

Thimbleweed Park

A spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion, Kickstarted by Maniac and Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert. 2014 was the year of point-and-click revival, but Thimbleweed Park is aiming to steer much closer to the source material in both art style and interface.

Syberia III

Starring Kate Walker, a lawyer who managed to turn a simple toy factory acquisition into two adventure games worth of transdimensional, er, misadventure 10 years ago. The resurrected developer is now back, with the rights to continue her story.

The Book Of Unwritten Tales 2

Most of this comedy adventure game sequel is already available through Early Access, but the final chapter and full version are a 2015 release. The first was an amusing and well written fantasy take and this seems to be following in those footsteps.

Lost Horizon 2

20 years later, but not tired! Fenton will plunge into a daring adventure again in Lost Horizon 2.

Stasis

Disoriented, drowsy and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. There is nothing to greet him but the static of a nearby monitor and a cold steel floor. Thick, green liquid covers the floor and then his body, leading to trail to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on…?

Stasis is an adventure game that puts you in control of John Maracheck, a man searching for his family in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you are required to solve puzzles and use objects around you to progress and to find Maracheck’s family.

Fran Bow

Fran Bow is a Horror Point and click game that tells the story of Fran, a young girl struggling with a mental disorder and an unfair destiny. It is a trip to the deepest and darkest side of human psychology, delivered through blood and tears.

Jack Houston and the Necronauts

In the year 1999, retired test pilot Jack Houston is recruited by the Venture Aeronautics and Space Transportation (VAST) corporation for one last mission: to man the first rocket to venus. His mission is clear: pilot the argon plasma rocket Bimini to venus, take readings and test her systems, then return with a full report for a second crew of explorers. However, something goes terribly wrong en route and Jack is forced to crash land in an alien ocean. When he awakens, the world he finds is one of ancient ruins, deadly flora, savage beasts and giant tripod robots wielding scorching death rays. He also uncovers a glint of hope deep in the jungle that could be his key to salvation, if only he can harness its power.

Spaceventure

SpaceVenture is a sci-fi comedy adventure game that combines interplanetary exploration, puzzle-solving, and space travel- not to mention “pant loads” of pop culture satire and some good, clean “potty” humor.

Mage’s Initiation: Reign of the Elements

D'Arc is sixteen years old. He has trained extensively in the elemental arts for the past decade of his young life, under the discerning eyes of the Mage Masters of Iginor. Confined to an existence of academics and magical mastery in their towering hall, the inquisitive initiate often wonders what it would be like to set foot outside in the world he has been secluded from; a world that his Masters deeply shun.

Grim Fandango Remastered

A remastered version of Grim Fandango coming to PlayStation and PC platforms next year feels something like a video game miracle. Thanks to developer Double Fine's efforts and some smart people at Disney and LucasArts — people who can make things happen — players will get the opportunity to play Tim Schafer's classic noir adventure game, now lovingly overhauled.

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition

At the PlayStation Experience event in December 2014, Schafer announced that a special edition of Day of the Tentacle was being developed by his studio, Double Fine Productions. The special edition is expected to be released in 2015 simultaneously for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux platforms.

Technobabylon

A cyberpunk tale in a city where privacy is a distant memory, Technobabylon is a classically-styled point-and-click adventure, featuring an artstyle evocative of both the games of the nineties, and the technological dystopias of fiction spanning the past forty years.

The Detail

With episodes still being released The Detail is a adventure game from Rival Games that takes the player to the streets of a crime-ridden city and into the shoes of Reginald "Reggie" Moore, a veteran detective grown frustrated with the lack of justice, and Joseph "Joe" Miller, a former confidential informant now dragged back into the life of crime he barely escaped.

Samorost 3

Samorost 3 is the third title in the Samorost series of adventure games. One day, the little space gnome will find a strange flute (magical, of course) which fell down from the sky and with its help he'll be able to build a new spaceship, explore five different planets and four moons, solve many mysteries and also find out where the flute came from.

Tacoma

Tacoma takes place 200,000 miles from earth on the Lunar Transfer Station Tacoma. The trailer showed a gilded, glowing facility reminiscent of Bioshock's underwater city, Rapture. Fullbright is withholding the nature of the mystery to be found at Station Tacoma, as well as the identity and motives of the explorers slinking through it.

Shardlight

Wadjet Eye Games, the Studio behind the brilliant adventure games Golden Wake and The Blackwell Series are once again going to release what looks to be another fine point and click adventure game titled "Shardlight". This latest adventure release looks to be of very high quality as you play as Amy and with the help of a mysterious figure to work to unite the oppressed, bring down the Caligula and find a cure for the plague.

A Playwright’s Tale

A charismatic Viking named Daniel Trondhjemsfjord has a burning desire to return to his Viking heritage and join the ranks of this legendary yet clandestine group. Michael and Jack, two wanderers and freelancers, join him on his quest. But what begins as a simple job turns out to be much more than any of them has bargained for.

Troll Song

Troll Song is a retro point and click game series starring a race that is so often portrayed as simply the strong, dumb brute - Trolls. This game series will give them a new mythology and culture. You play as Clod, one of only a handful of trolls to survive an evil plot to wipe them out completely - the game starts with Clod simply trying to escape and free the other remaining trolls, but the plot will encompass much more.

Downfall (remake)

Quiet Haven Hotel was supposed to be just a one night shelter for Joe and Ivy Davis. But things soon start to go wrong. Ivy's panic attacks get worse and soon she disappears. Strange goings on begin around the hotel. Nothing is what it seems anymore. Joe is left alone, trying to understand what is happening, trapped between reality and the nightmare.

The remake is fully voiced, an all new original micAmic soundtrack and other artists, mechanics similar to The Cat Lady and updated dialogues, animations and overall excitement! It will also include text for multiple languages including EFIGS and Russian.

The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle

In a quirky take on a Victorian London inhabited by strange characters, with even stranger noses, self proclaimed leading explorator, Bertram Fiddle, finds himself in a bit of pickle.

The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle is a traditional 2D point and click adventure game that mixes the classic formula up with riveting action elements all weaved together lovingly by Rumpus Animation.

The Legend of Hand

You play as a martial artist who has won a regional tournament in a Far-East inspired land. Upon winning the tournament, you are summoned by the Grand Masters of the region and given a quest.

Exgenesis

The History will be rewritten and the Truth revealed, and only those considered eligible will be allowed to follow the path to the absolute Knowledge. Many will fall, many will not believe, only the best of us will be granted the privilege of knowledge. Someone is already looking at us, someone is already judging us, and choosing who’s worthy of watching the dawn of the new humankind, and those who will take part in it.

Nelly Cootalot – The Fowl Fleet

Join Nelly Cootalot in this indie adventure game, and rescue birds hypnotised by the villainous Baron Widebeard. Explore a charming, hand-drawn world created by award-winning comedian and filmmaker Alasdair Beckett-King.

The Slaughter

Blue Velvet meets Monkey Island in The Slaughter; a 2D point-and-click adventure from with gameplay in the vein of the classic LucasArts and Revolution games, but with dark adult themes and an emphasis on character development. It’s essentially a game about being human.

The Weavers

The Weavers is a Fantasy point & click adventure with several rpg elements within a dark and mature setting.

The Weavers's gameplay is broadly inspired by classic games of the past such as Monkey Island, The Dig, and Journey but adds to the typical point and click system a whole set of original features.

A Poison Green

Washington D.C., 2070. Environmental diseases are the norm due to an ever-decreasing air quality that forces people to wear a mask at all times. When all legitimate plans to make a difference have failed and with a passive government that dares not listen, eco-terrorism becomes the only way to make one’s voice heard.

Captain Disaster in Death Has a Million Stomping Boots

The galaxy needed a hero... what they got was a (generally) well-meaning nitwit and his occasionally helpful computer...

Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders

A new point-and-click adventure game set in ancient China where you play as the legendary detective Di Renjie.

Sources: Rock Paper Shotgun, Polygon, Adventure Gamers and the 2014 thread.

Let's do this for 2015 GAF. Going to be a great year with lots coming. I'm eager to hear more about Syberia 3, hope that's coming at some point.

Great job mister Gez. Not sure if it's set for 2015 but I would add Tacoma, from the makers of Gone Home.

tacoma_500.0.png

To be honest my most anticipated game is Grim Fandango Remastered.

And I was disappointed by the King's Quest reveal trailer but I'm still excited about the game somehow.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yet another year of anticipating Broken Age, LoL.

This will be one of the best years in a long time thanks to Grim Fandango's remaster, though. Oh, and the return of King's Quest!

starsky

Nice new thread!

And wow I didn't know most of these games are being made. I'm mostly excited for Syberia 3, I hope it will feature beautiful scenes and atmospheres like the first game.

TripleSun

Thanks for the thread, was beginning to worry no one wanted to do it haha

Another great year for PnCs, let's do it!

...so I've been living in Japan for 3 months now and I still haven't set up my desktop, well until today. Finally can get onto my backlog of PnCs. Starting with Dreamfall Chapters yeah hit me lol but maybe waiting for chapter 2 wouldn't be the worst idea, playing them both at once and all

Card Boy

Banned
On Steam.

The Cat Lady - 75% @ $2.49
Goodbye Deponia - 75% @ $4.99 (Cheapest it's being by itself)
Chaos on Deponia - 75% off @ $4.99
Black Mirror Bundle - 75% off @ $6.24 (or $2.49 for each game)

Greenman Gaming (Steam key)

Time Gentlemen Please! and Ben There Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack - 75% off @ $1.24

Amazon (Steam keys)

Hector: Badge of Courage - 75% off @ $4.99
Law & Order: Legacies - 75% off @ $4.99
Goodbye Deponia - 75% off @ $4.99
Puzzle Agent 2 - 75% off @ $2.49 (Steamplay look for Mac version as PC isn't discounted)
The Night of the Rabbit - 75% off @ $4.99 (Steamplay look for Mac version as PC isn't discounted)
Gomo - 90% off @ $0.79 (Steamplay look for Mac version as PC isn't discounted)

kpP9HGP.png

Indiegala Friday Special

sC8HIEk.png

DailyIndiegame.com (Reversion Ep 1 is free on Steam)

Mr_Zombie

Subscribed.

I had no idea there are so many (potentially) fantastic p&c adventure games coming this year.
This will be a busy year.

Remind me, where can I check if a game supports different languages in Steam?

I'm trying to find some P&C Adventure games for me Mum but she doesn't understand a single word in english.

Mr_Zombie

I'm trying to find some P&C Adventure games for me Mum but she doesn't understand a single word in english.

On the game's store page in the right column the should be a "Languages" section where you have listed supported languages and what kind of support it is (Interface, Full audio, Subtitles).

Morzak

Remind me, where can I check if a game supports different languages in Steam?

There is a a box on the right side on a games Storepage with the supported Languages, but I'm not so sure if it's completely correct, for some games there is no full audio support listed even if they are fully voice acted.

Apparently all the pendulo games aren't available with German dubs, time to make sure that my physical copies are still ok.

Terra_Ex

Looks like we're in for another strong year in PnC gaming, can't wait. I'm especially looking forward to Technobabylon.

There is a a box on the right side on a games Storepage with the supported Languages, but I'm not so sure if it's completely correct, for some games there is no full audio support listed even if they are fully voice acted.

Apparently all the pendulo games aren't available with German dubs, time to make sure that my physical copies are still ok.

Ugh, I remember playing the first Runaway (disc, don't have that anymore) ...unfortunate that it's not available in different languages.
I also just read about Broken Sword 3, but there is a Steam thread that explains how to add them manually with download links for the required files, nice.

Maybe that's a possibility for other games as well, have to do some detective work on that. Anyway, thanks (also at Mr_Zombie)

Haven't been so active in the pnc community lately. What is the best point and click from 2010 and until today? Is it the Blackwell series i've been hearing so much about?

Card Boy

Banned
Haven't been so active in the pnc community lately. What is the best point and click from 2010 and until today? Is it the Blackwell series i've been hearing so much about?

Too many to list! Anything punlished Wadjet Eye games really.

Gemini Rue
The Shivah: Kosher Edition
Blackwell series
Primordia
Resonance

Also other that are amazing

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Lost Horizon
Back to the Future: The Game
Sam and Max Season 3
Hector: Badge of Courage
Walking Dead
Wolf Among us
Jolly Rover
Tesla Effect
Testament of Sherlock Holmes

I can keep craping on but there are heaps of games from 2010 onwards worth checking out. Gemini Rue is my favorite if you are after a game that is a cross between Blade Runner and Snatcher.

I recently had a blast with Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon which was also made by a Gaffer.

Thanks for the OP, Gez!

What adventure games are coming out this month? Life Is Strange, and?

Grim Fandango Remasterd and some LucasArts games should be hitting GOG soon if the teases are to be believed.

ikkei

I haven't been very active either, but I loved Gemini Rue, Primordia, Machinarium and Botanicula.

epmode

I'd say so.

Please note that the Blackwell series doesn't have the most impressive start until you realize that it was Wadjet Eye/Dave Gilbert's first* commercial release. It's great to see how they improve from game to game.

*It's the second if you count The Shivah but that was originally developed as freeware.

TripleSun

So many new faces, pretty cool that more and more people are coming in to make this thread even better.

Technobabylon and Shardlight are easily among my most hype PnC games at the moment. So many cool games being developed from AGS crowd lately and I'm always on the in-development section of the forums awaiting more news from their projects.

Thanks for this list OP. I recently tried Telltales games for the first time last month and I love them. I will buy Grim Fandango remaster and Life is Strange this month for sure.

I've never actually played a point and click adventure but the list looks really good.

The art in most of these is fantastic from what I see.

Gonna have to try to pick up some TellTale games.

What happened to this genre? There isn't one game I'm interested in. Where are the horror games? I need more serious adventures. And no I don't think Telltale's games are P&C-Adventures and I hate episodic gaming.

TripleSun

I wouldn't say anything "happened" to this genre because there are a lot of people excited for loads of PnCs all the time, like me. There's a bunch of serious PnC games if you look around which aren't episodic or Telltale.

[edit] I could probably post a bunch of them tomorrow or something since it's 4am here at the moment and I gotta get to sleep.

TripleSun

I always love reading Ron Gilbert's funny tidbits, funny guy. Love that they're doing a blog for the development of the game :)

Zeknurn

Why are the post-TWD Telltale games listed in a thread about point-and-click adventure games when they're nothing more than visual novels with QTEs?

Solid list otherwise.

Silent D

Neo Member
I can keep craping on but there are heaps of games from 2010 onwards worth checking out. Gemini Rue is my favorite if you are after a game that is a cross between Blade Runner and Snatcher.
First of all, thanks for the OP. I thought 2014 was a good year with Blackwell Epiphany, Broken Age, Broken Sword 5 etc etc, but 2015 looks even more promising.

It's really hard to pick best "modern" P&C games, because there're so many and the variety is mind-boggling. On top of Wadjet Eye games, I've enjoyed e.g. The Book of Unwritten Tales and Cat Lady. Very different themes, but both are excellent games. And there are so many I haven't played like Kentucky Route Zero.

I really support the remakes/reboots as well. If only we'd have a Blade Runner remake. But I've understood the original assets were lost. I could of course live with the original if e.g. GOG would sell it, but atm that's not the case. Cyberpunk is a theme that gets my attention. Murder and Technobabylon are on my radar due to the magic word. Never heard of them before.

What happened to this genre? There isn't one game I'm interested in. Where are the horror games? I need more serious adventures. And no I don't think Telltale's games are P&C-Adventures and I hate episodic gaming.
I think the genre is booming and it's not purely a PC genre anymore. There are excellent titles even for iPad. OP has at least a couple of horror games; Fran Bow and Downfall.

imBask

Banned
i'd like to shoutout Day9 for his new monday weekly show Mostly Walking. They play old and new point and click games!

here's the youtube playlist

Really great show if you enjoy point and click adventures

Conezays

Excited for lots of those. Great OP!

Anyone else a bit put off by Broken Age's year in between acts? I was excited for the game before it came out, but that kind of rubbed me the wrong way a bit (as well as the game itself not living up to its accolades or pedigree IMO).

Mr_Zombie

Anyone else a bit put off by Broken Age's year in between acts? I was excited for the game before it came out, but that kind of rubbed me the wrong way a bit (as well as the game itself not living up to its accolades or pedigree IMO).

That's the reason I haven't even started the game yet. I'm waiting for the second episode. I want full experience at once, not with a few month length break between episodes. :/

inm8num2

What I'm looking forward to most:

Armikrog - never played The Neverhood, but Armikrog seems like it's going to be a real charmer and provide some original puzzles

Broken Age Act II - thought Act I was enjoyable if a little easy. With more difficulty in Act II the game could become something of a modern classic.

Dreamfall Chapters - haven't played the first episode yet as I'm waiting to see how the updates play out, as there seem to be some technical and performance issues.

Kentucky Route Zero - this is a pretty unique and surreal experience. I have no idea where it's going but Act III was pretty damn interesting.

Obduction - didn't back it but have followed with great interest since the campaign.

Silence: The Whispered World II - enjoyed TWW quite a bit. Not sure how the lack of inventory in this game will affect gameplay, but Daedalic are some of the best at visually telling stories.

The Devil’s Men - don't know much about this one, but same reasoning as above. Haven't disliked any Daedalic games I've played.

Syberia III - one of my favorite series. Hopefully the wait is worth it.

The Book Of Unwritten Tales 2 - the predecessor is one of the best adventure games in the past 5 years. If this has the same level of charm, humor, writing, and overall gameplay it should be a hit among adventure fans.

Lost Horizon 2 - the first game was pretty fun, albeit not very challenging, but I'm always in the mood for a good swashbuckling adventure.

Stasis - might be a surprise hit that appeals outside of core adventure markets (the isometric view reminds people of Fallout, although obviously Stasis isn't an RPG). The atmosphere and visual aesthetic are stunning. Mark Morgan is doing the music, too (again, Fallout! :p).

Spaceventure - I'd all but forgotten about this one and considered it my only real Kickstarter/crowdfunding disappointment. I still remain skeptical and will be surprised if it comes out (or isn't broken up into episodes with extremely long interludes), but if/when it comes out I'll be eager to see what Mark and Scott have done.

Mage's Initiation - there hasn't been much lately in terms of updates, but the game has looked like it's progressing nicely.

Grim Fandango / DoTT - no explanation necessary

Technobabylon / Shardlight - always in the mood for a dystopian or cyberpunk adventures, and the Wadjet seal of approval for publishing is all one needs to know.

Overall looks to be a great year. If 2013/2014 was a period of adventure games making a small resurgence, 2015 seems to be all about staying power. Big titles like GF and DoTT will attract wide audiences, and hopefully people will enjoy experiencing those games and take interest in other adventure titles.

Also, would I be crazy if I suggested that Daedalic and Wadjet Eye are the closest things to modern LucasArts and Sierra, respectively? I don't mean they're equivalent in overall quality necessarily, but they evoke similarities regarding visual style, gameplay, writing, and overall presentation. The Daedalic comparison stems from their roots in humorous or bizarre games (Edna & Harvey, Deponia), while Wadjet Eye (or just AGS) games remind me of the heyday of Sierra and the SCI games. Both companies seem to be on a roll the way LucasArts and Sierra once were. Let's hope it lasts.

Saty

Still waiting for the crowdfunded game that will prove the business model without a shadow of a doubt for the P&C genre, the way RPGs had in 2014. (Haven't played Dreamfall: Chapters).

epmode

Still waiting for the crowdfunded game that will prove the business model without a shadow of a doubt for the P&C genre, the way RPGs had in 2014. (Haven't played Dreamfall: Chapters).

Unless I'm forgetting something, Dreamfall Chapters is by far the best crowdfunded adventure game I've played. If they can keep the quality and actually finish it, it's going to be incredible.

I'll admit that I'm more interested in dialogue, art and music than traditional adventurin so you may not agree.

edit: I did forget something. Kentucky Route Zero is crowdfunded as well.

Also, would I be crazy if I suggested that Daedalic and Wadjet Eye are the closest things to modern LucasArts and Sierra, respectively? I don't mean they're equivalent in overall quality necessarily, but they evoke similarities regarding visual style, gameplay, writing, and overall presentation. The Daedalic comparison stems from their roots in humorous or bizarre games (Edna & Harvey, Deponia), while Wadjet Eye (or just AGS) games remind me of the heyday of Sierra and the SCI games. Both companies seem to be on a roll the way LucasArts and Sierra once were. Let's hope it lasts.

Daedalic has some great artists but I've been disappointed by the writing and acting in so many of their games that I don't even try them anymore. Wadjet Eye's pretty great though.

Top Bottom