• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

rusteepot

Get the original Sins of the Fathers on GOG.com, I played through it again recently and it definitely holds up. I find the art style that is introduced in the remake terrible, it removes all the charm of the original.

I have to agree with Nilansan even though I bought the remake. The art style just isn't my cuppa tea and I'm a huge fan of Sierra's pixel art. Decided to give it a try since it's now 75% off.

spinz

Get the original Sins of the Fathers on GOG.com, I played through it again recently and it definitely holds up. I find the art style that is introduced in the remake terrible, it removes all the charm of the original.

i will also agree with this. Theres no reason not to play the original. Its a classic. The remake takes one step forward and 5 steps back.

Silent D

Neo Member
Thanks guys, Gog.com it is, then. It's always a bit tricky with the remakes, isn't it. I think Monkey Islands do it rather well, since you can switch to the original on the fly. If the remake doesn't seem your cup of tea, it doesn't really matter. I guess Grim Fandango is similar. Graphics aside, then there's the question to extent should the plot/game play be changed. Of course this is nothing new. I think there even was some kind of 'uproar' when Sierra remade the first King's Quests with their (back then) new engine and changed the plots a bit.

spinz

Thanks guys, Gog.com it is, then. It's always a bit tricky with the remakes, isn't it. I think Monkey Islands do it rather well, since you can switch to the original on the fly. If the remake doesn't seem your cup of tea, it doesn't really matter. I guess Grim Fandango is similar. Graphics aside, then there's the question to extent should the plot/game play be changed. Of course this is nothing new. I think there even was some kind of 'uproar' when Sierra remade the first King's Quests with their (back then) new engine and changed the plots a bit.

yep its risky complicated stuff. My approach as a fan is: i just want any changes they make to fit.. to make sense and be believable with the original material. There are examples of this not working in the gk remake.. one in particular that drove me crazy, even though in the scheme of things its small... if it doesnt fit, it doesnt fit. Long rant description of the example:
Normally one of the locations accessible at the begining of the game is the pub. There is no express reason for gabriel to visit the pub.. you just can. Its a reasonable thing to do for a guy who might want a drink, and a safe bet for anyone looking to dig up info: try the local bar. The scene adds a nice dose of background info from talking to the barkeep and helps immerse the player in the setting as the game progresses. You also learn about the patrons in the bar, one being sam a retired jeweler, who now wastes his days playing chess trying to beat his rival. It isnt until much later in the game when you need a piece of jewelery, the player thinks back "didnt i hear about someone who could do this?" It works well and is a good example of why the design for this game is special.
So fastforward to the remake: they decided to remove the players access to the pub from the beginning. They didnt want the player to be confused about why they were visiting, and thought it was better to only visit exactly at the point where the puzzle comes up. But then it gets worse. They needed to manufacture a reason why gabriel would be going to a bar.. So they added an ad to a newspaper gabriel reads. Its an ad from sam the jeweler, advertising his work and listing his location..... in the bar. The dialogue has not changed he's still retired. But in pursuit of trying to make the game easier to digest, they had a retired jeweler (who specifically doesnt want to be bothered about making jewelery) take out an ad in a paper for people to come bother him at a bar where he hangs out. Its a perfect example of fixing something that wasnt broken, and breaking it.

Tizoc

More of a JRPG. Great game.

Heh I'm only like an hour into it but I'm playing it without doing battles RPG/jRPG style; pacifist run. Choosing not to fight turns the 'combat' into a form of puzzle I'd say and figuring out what to do kind of elevates it into an RPG+Puzzle hybrid I guess.

At any rate, tidying up my draft and then making my post in a few hours ^^;

Fuz

Banned
yep its risky complicated stuff. My approach as a fan is: i just want any changes they make to fit.. to make sense and be believable with the original material. There are examples of this not working in the gk remake.. one in particular that drove me crazy, even though in the scheme of things its small... if it doesnt fit, it doesnt fit. Long rant description of the example:
Normally one of the locations accessible at the begining of the game is the pub. There is no express reason for gabriel to visit the pub.. you just can. Its a reasonable thing to do for a guy who might want a drink, and a safe bet for anyone looking to dig up info: try the local bar. The scene adds a nice dose of background info from talking to the barkeep and helps immerse the player in the setting as the game progresses. You also learn about the patrons in the bar, one being sam a retired jeweler, who now wastes his days playing chess trying to beat his rival. It isnt until much later in the game when you need a piece of jewelery, the player thinks back "didnt i hear about someone who could do this?" It works well and is a good example of why the design for this game is special.
So fastforward to the remake: they decided to remove the players access to the pub from the beginning. They didnt want the player to be confused about why they were visiting, and thought it was better to only visit exactly at the point where the puzzle comes up. But then it gets worse. They needed to manufacture a reason why gabriel would be going to a bar.. So they added an ad to a newspaper gabriel reads. Its an ad from sam the jeweler, advertising his work and listing his location..... in the bar. The dialogue has not changed he's still retired. But in pursuit of trying to make the game easier to digest, they had a retired jeweler (who specifically doesnt want to be bothered about making jewelery) take out an ad in a paper for people to come bother him at a bar where he hangs out. Its a perfect example of fixing something that wasnt broken, and breaking it.

Holy shit, this is cringeworthy.
I detest when adventures present an unbeliavable game world and keep breaking the suspension of disbelief (one of the reasons I don't like the new KW, incidentally).

Card Boy

Banned
Want me to make a 2016 guys? It won't have the latest 2016 releases in the OP unless i get a mega article from RPS.

edit: actually i have a massive new 2016 thread lined up for tomorrow.

Fuz

Banned
Started to play Fran Bow after the disappointment of King's Quest.

And holy shit, it's really disturbing. I have quite a strong stomach and I'm not easily impressionable, but what you see and the subtle implications are extremely heavy. Was not expecting it.

Afro

Started to play Fran Bow after the disappointment of King's Quest.

And holy shit, it's really disturbing. I have quite a strong stomach and I'm not easily impressionable, but what you see and the subtle implications are extremely heavy. Was not expecting it.

Still really wanna play Fran Bow! Ashamed I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe after I finish Dropsy, which is excellent (will post impressions). The Oxenfree |OT| is up too, BTW! 2016 is gonna' be so great for games in general.

shaowebb

BOOK OF UNWRITTEN TALES TITLES are 80% off!

You need to own these. My god you can even get Unwritten Tales 2 Almanac Edition for under $9 and thats a $35 game!

BUY THEEEEEEEEEEEEESE.

Book of Unwritten Tales $3.99 (normally $19.99)
Book of Unwritten Tales :Critter Chronicles $3.99 (normally $19.99)
Book of Unwritten Tales 2 $7.49 (normally $29.99)
Book of Unwritten Tales 2:Almanac Edition $8.79 (normally $34.99)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tried the demo of The Book of Unwritten Tales 1.

Didn't get it Didn't like a single bit of it. Sorry. :
BoUT seems really divisive. For people who really enjoy them, would going straight to 2 be an okay idea?

epmode

BoUT seems really divisive. For people who really enjoy them, would going straight to 2 be an okay idea?

From what I've played, 2 is like 1 with much better production values. It also references plot and characters from the first one pretty often. It's not like blind buying Trails in the Sky SC but it's more than I expected to see.

I'm not a big fan of the first one and the similarities got me to stop playing the second early on. Maybe it gets better.

spinz

You'd live. But its very much a direct continuation of the first game. References are constant and doesnt spend a ton of time telling you about the first.

Top Bottom