• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
M3d10n said:
I still receive them every single day. How many do you have already? Did you ever do the clock cheat to get more than 3 a day?

I never fiddled with the clock and I have 135 Pokemon. The last batch I got was three days ago but I only got 2 Pokemon instead of 3. Maybe they have some way of rationing your SpotPass downloads if you fill it up too quickly. I have got a lot of creatures from friends.

Neiteio

Ushojax said:
I never fiddled with the clock and I have 135 Pokemon. The last batch I got was three days ago but I only got 2 Pokemon instead of 3. Maybe they have some way of rationing your SpotPass downloads if you fill it up too quickly. I have got a lot of creatures from friends.
I think I'm in the same situation. When my brother got his 3DS, I would download my three, transfer them over to him, and then download his three, which would be different from mine, and transfer them over to me. Doing such, I now have 140 Pokemon, all without ever cheating the clock. But neither him nor I have received new Pokemon, yesterday or today. I'm guessing from what Ushojax said that my additional updates will come in time, and may be fewer Pokemon each time, perhaps as a way of rationing out the last Pokemon?

Hey, add me into the list of people who haven't gotten pokemon in the last three days. I don't know what the deal is. I'm not running any apps while it's in sleep mode, and I've changed my wireless settings, turned it on and off etc. Still doesn't work.

Kerrby

Banned
Werid, I just got a Pokemon then.

I'm hoping the next Pokemon game is in 3D like the Pokemon Stadium games but also 3D without the glasses (unlike the Pokemon White games). 3D and 3D, damn you confusing 3D.

This Pokedex 3D thing has hyped me up for that style of game.

Javier

I'm loving this app, even if it's nothing but collecting Pokemon. I'm at 109 so far, and I'm amazed at how great the models look. I hope they update the app with the previous gens later on, I definitely want to see those with these updated models.

I also hope we get more stuff like this later on. I would love a Trophy Gallery like the one from Smash Bros. in its own app.

Exuro

Javier said:
I'm loving this app, even if it's nothing but collecting Pokemon. I'm at 109 so far, and I'm amazed at how great the models look.
I was messing with my little brother's 3DS and was surprised by the models also. It would be amazing if they made a real pokemon game with this graphical fidelity.

MooMoo

For the updates, something has to be wrong. Usually I can hit the app at midnight and I can grab my new 3 Pokemons but now I can't. Plus I'm pretty sure a few days ago I managed to nab 6 Pokemon in a single 24-hour period, which is definitely out of the norm.

BooJoh

Those of you not getting updates, do you turn off your 3DS much? I've only missed updates when I forget to check until after midnight, and my 3DS hasn't been powered off in over a month.

mr_chun

I've been getting 3 a day since launch, but got two a few days ago, then one the next day, and none the last two days.

Theory... most of the Pokemon I'm missing are rare/legendary Pokemon. Perhaps you can't get them without scanning AR Markers? Or maybe at least using the markers would help encourage receipt of them. I'm going to test it tomorrow- I'm gonna scan three of them tonight and wait for results tomorrow. Will report back.

Ok.........i have two questions about this app if anyone can help me out.

First, on the bottom screen to the left of the "movie" button that makes the pokemon do thier little action, there is another icon button thing that just pops up a random pixelated pattern.......is that for another 3ds to download your pokemon?

Also, I'd like to take some pictures with the pokemon but it's always searching for an AR code, is that something you have to download from the Internet or print out like the cards that came with the 3ds?

Thanks!

Luigiv

BowieZ said:
I've been getting about 1 every day for the past few days now. Used to be 3 a day.
How can you not get all three? I always get all three at the same time. As soon as the blue dot appears, I;

1. Open the app,
2. Receive the first,
3. Suspend and then Unsuspended,
4. Receive the next,
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 again.

You don't actually have to wait for the blue dot each time.

Mind you I only have 90 something, so maybe it dries up as you go along.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Incitemaybe said:
Ok.........i have two questions about this app if anyone can help me out.

First, on the bottom screen to the left of the "movie" button that makes the pokemon do thier little action, there is another icon button thing that just pops up a random pixelated pattern.......is that for another 3ds to download your pokemon?

Also, I'd like to take some pictures with the pokemon but it's always searching for an AR code, is that something you have to download from the Internet or print out like the cards that came with the 3ds?

Thanks!
The two bolded parts are the same thing.

Here's a really big pic of all the AR codes but you won't get the Pokemon until you get them from Nintendo or someone else.

http://i.imgur.com/VVLMh.jpg

mr_chun

Well, 48 hours later I haven't received any new Pokemon despite scanning a few AR Markers. I did scan three legendaries (Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus), however, so that might play a part. Today, I went ahead and scanned three of what I deem to be "common" Pokemon, ones whose evolutionary chains are already partially obtained in my Pokedex.

I discovered on Serebii that that you can only obtain one evolution chain for the elemental monkeys (I got Pansage/Simisage), one gender of the jellyfish and pheasants, and one season of the deer. The others have to be traded for locally and cannot be received via SpotPass.

That doesn't explain why I haven't gotten Carracosta, for example, especially after already having received Tirtouga, unless Serebii doesn't have a complete listing of exclusive Pokemon.

Busaiku

BooJoh said:
Those of you not getting updates, do you turn off your 3DS much? I've only missed updates when I forget to check until after midnight, and my 3DS hasn't been powered off in over a month.
In the last week it was usually on all the time, unless I was charging it.

mr_chun said:
I discovered on Serebii that that you can only obtain one evolution chain for the elemental monkeys (I got Pansage/Simisage), one gender of the jellyfish and pheasants, and one season of the deer. The others have to be traded for locally and cannot be received via SpotPass.
That would explain why I haven't gotten any new Pokemon lately. Damn it. Where am I gonna find someone to trade with...

Eteric Rice

I love the Pokedex, I use it every day to see what new stuff I get. :)

Hope Nintendo expands it to all Pokemon. That would be freakin' sweet.

Guy doing the models should get a raise, as well.

Poyunch

El Pescado said:
That would explain why I haven't gotten any new Pokemon lately. Damn it. Where am I gonna find someone to trade with...
Damn I got Pansage. I wanted the fire poop monkey. :/

Neiteio

mr_chun said:
Well, 48 hours later I haven't received any new Pokemon despite scanning a few AR Markers. I did scan three legendaries (Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus), however, so that might play a part. Today, I went ahead and scanned three of what I deem to be "common" Pokemon, ones whose evolutionary chains are already partially obtained in my Pokedex.

That doesn't explain why I haven't gotten Carracosta, for example, especially after already having received Tirtouga, unless Serebii doesn't have a complete listing of exclusive Pokemon.
I got all the fossil Pokemon on my own. They're not exclusives. The only exclusives are as follows:

- Everyone gets one of the monkey trio, so either the two Grass ones, the two Fire ones, or the two Water ones
- Everyone gets BOTH forms of Basculin
- Everyone gets Zen Mode Darmanitan
- You only get one season of Deerling/Sawsbuck (and the seasons match)
- You only get one gender of Unfezant
- You only get one gender of Frillish/Jellecent (and the genders match)

So it doesn't make sense that I've still been at 140 for like a week, and I've been doing what I've been doing all along. (My brother helped me reach that number this quickly, btw.) I still have common Pokemon left like Venipede.

Really, I wonder if someone at Nintendo threw the switch on SpotPass so people over a certain threshold stop receiving them. This might be Nintendo's way of forcing people to trade for what they don't have (beyond the ones they don't have due to exclusivity, I mean, which are listed above).

Chopper

Neiteio said:
That fucking sucks. This app should really make use of Streetpass. :(

For what it's worth, I have 118 pokemon, and have received three successfully every day...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the Pokedex. I really wish Nintendo would do the same kind of collection non-game for Smash Bros. trophies. I would love that.

I have both Basculin's, explain that. Who is spreading this misinformation?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll look at my dex later.

I wonder if when I have my Japanese 3DS I'll be able to trade? :D

Greymanic

Neo Member
As mentioned above:

Neiteio said:
The only exclusives are as follows:

- Everyone gets one of the monkey trio, so either the two Grass ones, the two Fire ones, or the two Water ones
- Everyone gets BOTH forms of Basculin
- Everyone gets Zen Mode Darmanitan

So getting both Basculin's is possible according to the above.

I guess they really want people to trade, as usual.

It's only a problem because you can't 'buy' 'both' versions. You'd have to buy two different 3DSs if you wanted to 'trade' with yourself. That's pretty nefarious, Nintendo/Game Freak.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Neiteio said:
Really, I wonder if someone at Nintendo threw the switch on SpotPass so people over a certain threshold stop receiving them.
If that's true then I wonder what that threshold is because I'm up to 124 and still getting 3 a day.

Neiteio

Fuzzy said:
If that's true then I wonder what that threshold is because I'm up to 124 and still getting 3 a day.
I've been at 140 for like a week, and no updates. I wonder if it's the rate at which I got them. When my brother got a 3DS, I started updating his dex to have my three updates, and then I did his three updates to get another three new Pokemon, so I was effectively getting six a day. Perhaps I got too many too quickly?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Neiteio said:
I've been at 140 for like a week, and no updates. I wonder if it's the rate at which I got them. When my brother got a 3DS, I started updating his dex to have my three updates, and then I did his three updates to get another three new Pokemon, so I was effectively getting six a day. Perhaps I got too many too quickly?

I did the same thing and I stopped getting new Pokemon at 135. It's pretty dumb that the title doesn't support StreetPass, the fact that you have to open up the game and actually initiate the trade makes it pretty awkward for such a trivial piece of software. Maybe they'll add something when they update the game.

mr_chun

Alright, I've got some results people. It's been around 72 hours since I scanned the AR Markers for Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus, 36ish since I scanned them again and not even 24 since I scanned a few "commoners". Finally got that little blue dot today, and I was actually surprised at the result- I got the Kami Trio.

So I can't say for sure whether it depends on the amount of time since you've scanned the markers, or how many times you've scanned them. But regardless, this works. Start scanning markers for Pokemon you don't have yet, and they should start popping up within a few days.

@Neiteio - Good to know. So that mean there are 13 that are unobtainable without trading locally. The rest should be obtainable by scanning markers and waiting for spot pass, then.

@ColtraineGF - Technically, you would need at minimum three 3DS systems to get them all... you only get one form of Deerling per system, and there are four forms. :p

They should have made the trading online for NA/EU. I suppose it's easier to bump into someone and trade Pokemon in Japan... not so much here. I've only StreetPassed half a dozen other 3DS owners, and I've only seen one person actually holding their system out in the open.

Ugh this app is bullshit!
I was so happy today to get my 153rd and 'final' Pokemon but that was until I started scanning the codes to fill up the sticker book and I realised I was still missing about 8. It was then that I read about the 'exclusive pokemon' that each individual user gets. Why do GameFreak keep doing this shit? On a somewhat meaningless and free piece of software like this why is it necessary? I've never been able to 'catch them all' even since the original Blue due to there always being some exclusive Pokemon that you had to get at a download event or something. So now I'm stuck with a complete/incomplete pokedex :(

Oh yeah, my 3 a day came each day like clockwork and I would trade with my brother each weekend so I would get whatever he'd had throughout the week. My 3 carried on coming until today where I got the 'last' ones but his just outright stopped about 2 weeks ago once he'd just passed over 100 and he never got another again. I gave him all his missing ones today. It's odd this happened to him yet mine carried on coming until the end.....

mr_chun

Another update: I got the 3 "common" Pokemon that I scanned AR markers for.

To the people still complaining about not receiving Pokemon-

1. Figure out which ones you still need that aren't alternate forms of Jellicent/Sawbuck/elemental monkeys.
2. Go to Serebii's list of AR markers.
3. Scan three Pokemon you don't have.
4. Wait a day or two, you'll get them eventually- it's worked twice for me.
5. Repeat.

sakipon

uchihasasuke said:
+1 to the list of people stuck (currently at 99 pokes and the last time i got a transfer it was just 1)

Me too, I got stuck after receiving the exact 99th pokémon. I haven't bothered to scan in any of those AR markers though... because come on, I'm just a lazy gamer trying this app for free. Pokeymen should continue jumping to my lap via Spotpass.

mr_chun

Oh come on, it takes like two seconds to scan the AR markers. :p

The whole process (getting the three new Pokemon and scanning three new AR markers, plus perusing the new entries) takes less than two minutes out of my day.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Ugh this app is bullshit!
I was so happy today to get my 153rd and 'final' Pokemon but that was until I started scanning the codes to fill up the sticker book and I realised I was still missing about 8. It was then that I read about the 'exclusive pokemon' that each individual user gets. Why do GameFreak keep doing this shit? On a somewhat meaningless and free piece of software like this why is it necessary? I've never been able to 'catch them all' even since the original Blue due to there always being some exclusive Pokemon that you had to get at a download event or something. So now I'm stuck with a complete/incomplete pokedex :(

Oh yeah, my 3 a day came each day like clockwork and I would trade with my brother each weekend so I would get whatever he'd had throughout the week. My 3 carried on coming until today where I got the 'last' ones but his just outright stopped about 2 weeks ago once he'd just passed over 100 and he never got another again. I gave him all his missing ones today. It's odd this happened to him yet mine carried on coming until the end.....
My theory is that they are trying to create some kind of real world social interaction among players. *shudder*

Chopper

Add me to the number of people who have stopped receiving Spotpass notifications. I have receieved three every single day since release until two days ago, and they've just stopped. I have 124. Awesome online service Nintendo. Oh, and I have plenty of AR markers scanned but empty. Laym.

Top Bottom