• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UVf40.png

Japan: September 18, 2010 · Europe: March 4, 2011 · North America: March 6, 2011 · Australia: March 10, 2011​

C74bY.png

Pokémon Black Version and White Version introduce the Unova region to the series, which is far removed from the likes of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. During your main trip through Unova, you will only encounter the 156 new Pokémon that Generation 5 introduces. Yes, 156 -- the most that have debuted in any Pokémon game, which brings the total amount of known Pokémon to 649. Unova is the only region yet to not be based on a section of Japan; instead, Unova is based on North America, and New York City in particular. Unova is a very diverse region unlike any before, with huge modern cities, a vast desert, tall mountains, and many bridges interconnecting various parts.​

DLUBV.png

gndEz.png

From left to right: Tepig is the Unova region's fire-type starter Pokémon. Starting out as a cute piglet, it eventually evolves into a strong boar. Its evolutions are both dual fire/fighting types. Snivy, the grass-type, is the definition of cool and the starter Pokémon of choice for trainers who like a challenge. Oshawott is the ugly duckling of the bunch, and is also a water-type. However, despite being derided early on, Oshawott has proved as solid a choice as any for budding new trainers.​

hXrfk.png

B5tHQ.png

The trainers you will be playing as in Black and White have grown by a few years compared to previous games. They also both look really cool!

ueq4U.png

yel4B.png

The rivals (yes, plural) that accompany you on your Unova journey are Cheren (left) and Bianca (right.) Cheren is completely consumed by his quest for strength and becoming the best, while Bianca is a bit of an airhead and isn't exactly sure what she wants to do yet. Throughout your quest, they will be constantly challenging and helping you, each in their own unique ways.

ueq4U.png

STaFG.png

The professor of the Unova region is Professor Juniper, the series' first female Pokémon Prof.! She is the first character you will see when you start the game, and besides asking you the requisite questions about your name and gender, she also gives you your first Pokémon and Pokédex.

ueq4U.png

GPEEO.png

The mysterious character N meets up and challenges you at several points through the game's story. Is he going to help save the world, or end it?​

yG8Iu.png

vi4U3.png
CeZas.png

The villainous team terrorizing Unova when you step on the scene is none other than the notorious Team Plasma. Sporting arguably worse costumes than even Team Galactic, Team Plasma's goals are the separation of church and state Pokémon and humans.​

98ljg.png

18nl4.png
mSyp6.png

Triple battles and rotation battles debut in Pokémon Black and White. Triple battles are exactly what they sound like: you and your opponent each send out three Pokémon and then the fight progresses normally; the speed stat of each Pokémon determines how the moves play out. Most moves can only hit the Pokémon directly in front of or adjacent to the Pokémon using it, in this way the center position is the most desirable, as whichever Pokémon occupies it can hit any of the opponent's Pokémon.

Rotation battles are a little more complex. Structurally they are similar to triple battles, with three-on-three, but only one Pokémon may attack per turn. For the rest of the turn, you're free to set up and swap positions of your Pokémon currently on the field.

ueq4U.png

kpKe9.png
KpYQz.png

5SWXj.png
QYO9A.png

Expanding on the day/night cycle of Generation 2 and the weekly cycle of Generation 3, Generation 5 introduces seasonal changes to the overworld. Mimicking real life, there are four seasons (spring, summer, autumn, winter), although instead of lasting for about three months each, seasons in Black and White only last one month, with spring kicking off the year in January. Some areas can only be accessed during a particular season, and some Pokémon may change their form depending on the season. Finally, the music changes slightly depending on the season.

ueq4U.png

suVtW.png

Technical Machines (TMs), used to instruct a Pokémon in a specific move, no longer break! This makes them exactly like Hidden Machines (HMs), except you don't have to go to a Move Deleter to make them forget the move that is taught.​

jlC5o.png

iKndZ.png

For an in-depth and up-to-date overview of all of Black and White's online capabilities, please visit the OT3.

ueq4U.png

8PLWw.png

The C-Gear lives on the bottom touch screen and is always present there by default.

Using the cartridge's built-in infrared capabilities, it allows for super-quick drop-in, drop-out battling, trading, and Friend Code exchange with local players. Using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, you can use the Game Sync option (see below), and by using local wireless, you can use the Entralink (see below) and Xtransceiver (see below) options. By leaving the C-Gear on and closing your DS, you can also passively gain survey responses from players you pass in real life who have done the same.

In order to get your C-Gear, you must obtain the Key Item Dream Mist from Munna for Professor Fennel in the Dream Yard east of Striaton City. She will then reward you with your own C-Gear when you meet back up with her in her lab at Striaton City.

ueq4U.png

r0brX.png

The Global Link feature is a website that you can link your game to, and encompasses trainer rankings for online battles (the Global Battle Union, see below) and an interactive set of mini-games for growing berries and capturing Pokémon with hidden abilities (the Dream World, see below.) The Global Link also allows you to send E-Z Mail to anyone you have exchanged Friend Codes with, although you are limited to the in-game phrases available. Daily stats on Pokémon Black and White players worldwide is also listed on the Global Link website, such as how many Pokémon were caught, how many players rode their bikes, etc. Finally, you can download special C-Gear backgrounds from the Global Link website as well.

The Global Link website can be found here.

ueq4U.png

tSW3o.png

The Dream World is an online website and feature of the Global Link that allows trainers to catch Pokémon with unique natures, decorate their own house, play minigames, interact with other trainers you've registered as friends, and grow berries. In order to access the Dream World, you will need to have the C-Gear .

In the Dream World, you can upload a Pokémon you have caught and have it cross a rainbow-colored bridge to the Island of Dreams. Once there, you can encounter Pokémon not from Unova, or with abilities not otherwise possible. You can then play minigames with these Pokémon, and if they like you enough, you can take them back to your game with you by visiting the Tree of Dreams. You can then catch these Pokémon in the Entree Forest using the special Dream Balls when your Pokémon returns to Unova from the Dream World.

ueq4U.png

nJ3xR.png

The Global Battle Union is an online website and feature of the Global Link that allows you to gain points by battling other trainers using the random online matches feature, and view your standing in comparison to other trainers worldwide. You can also apparently battle other trainers on the Global Battle Union website and participate in official Pokémon Battle Competitions that it hosts.

ueq4U.png

LfZ4a.png

The Entralink is a feature of the C-Gear that allows players to enter each other's games and complete missions throughout Unova using local wireless. Completing these missions will earn you Pass Powers, which range in features and usefulness. For instance, one Pass Power gives your Pokémon an experience-boost for a limited amount of time! This feature is similar to the Sinnoh Underground of Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum and is only playable on local wireless.

The Entralink is based in the Entree Forest at the center of Unova. This is also where you can catch the Pokemon you bring back from the Dream World, using a special Pokéball called the Dream Ball.

ueq4U.png

aL3oK.png

The Xtransceiver is a Key Item and feature of the C-Gear that allows you to easily video chat with four people locally using any Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, or Nintendo 3DS system.

It is also used in the single-player campaign when you are called by non-player characters such as Professor Juniper, which showcases Sugimori’s art for the character and brings Black and White closer to other Japanese RPGs in presentation.

ueq4U.png

FfT5F.png

Unlike past Pokémon games, in Black and White you can randomly battle online trainers. This has been a staple of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games ever since the service debuted, but all Generation 4 games ignored it for some reason.

In order to play a random match, or access any of the other Global Trade Station (GTS) features, you will need to speak to the right-most lady on the second floor of any Pokémon Center and select the Random Matchup option. Unfortunately until the Global Link website launches, you can only participate in unranked ("free") random matches.

ueq4U.png

wvI6t.png

Last but not least, WPA2 security for Wi-Fi is fully supported in Black and White when played on a Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, or Nintendo 3DS system. Yay!​

MUbDE.png

KlikA.png

Screenshots:

ueq4U.png

Videos:

ueq4U.png

Nintendo DSi Bundles:

ocCGT.png

GameRankings: 88% · Metacritic: 87%

ueq4U.png

1up: B+ · Cubed3: 9 / 10 · Eurogamer: 9 / 10 · Game Informer: 8.75 / 10 · GameSpot: 7.5 / 10 · IGN: 9.0 / 10

xQn6O.png

• Pokémon.com
    The official site for everything Pokémon, including the games, anime, and trading card game.

• Pokémon Black Version and White Version
    The official website for the games this thread is about, and the site which I shamelessly stole the requisite media from to make this thread so good looking.

• Iwata Asks: Pokémon Black and Pokémon White Versions
    Nintendo President Satoru Iwata digs in deep with the head honcho trio of the Pokémon franchise -- Junichi Masuda (director), Ken Sugimori (illustrator and character designer), and Tsunekazu Ishihara (president of The Pokémon Company.)

• Bulbapedia
    Why buy a guide when you can use this? Infinitely useful, imminently helpful, Bulbapedia has answers to almost everything you can ask about Pokémon, including the anime and trading card game.

• Smogon University
    The de-facto competitive Pokémon website, with tips, guides, and an active community all dedicated to being the very best.

• Serebii.net
    Despite its early-90's design, Serebii is still a useful resource, if you know where to look.

• Veekun
    Considered by some to be the best online Pokédex.

9dbZd.png

Tv4LA.png

Emitan

From right to left: Tepig is the Unova region's fire-type start Pokémon. Starting out as a cute piglet, it eventually evolves into a strong board. Its evolutions are both dual fire/fighting types. Snivy, the grass-type, is the definition of cool and the starter Pokémon of choice for trainers who like a challenge. Oshawott is the ugly duckling of the bunch, and is also a water-type. However, despite being derided early on, Oshawott has proved as solid a choice as any for budding new trainers.
Dammit, GameFreak! Can't you make normal Pokemon anymore? lol Great OT.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Billychu said:
Dammit, GameFreak! Can't you make normal Pokemon anymore? lol Great OT.

Rofl, I was sure there were no mistakes. Heh. Thanks for pointing it out!

Good job Andrex. And now I proceed to ignore this thread till I get my 3DS even though I'm getting the game on monday.

FML.

___

Neo Member
Amazing OP.

Turns out, some friends and I are going to the midnight release tomorrow night.
Huzzah.

Excellent job Andrex!

Less than 24 hours left! I am far more excited for these games than I was for Diamond/Pearl. And I'm on spring break this week so I'll have nothing but free time :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Veekun is where everybody who rips the info we all so desperately seeked in September congregate.

Ah OK, I always thought that was filbe.de.

Think I'm gonna start with Snivy this time. I usually go with the fire Pokemon (except I picked Treeco) so this'll be a nice change of pace I guess. Nice OP BTW!

Emitan

Evolving Wotter (shut up) to his first evo and keeping him there. We finally get an otter Pokemon and they make him a freak :/

Nice OP. I don't know shit about Pokemon and am picking Black up on Sunday. OP gave me a pretty good idea what I am getting into. I look forward to seeing what I have been missing all these years.

Emitan

GrumpyAlien said:
Nice OP. I don't know shit about Pokemon and am picking Black up on Sunday. OP gave me a pretty good idea what I am getting into. I look forward to seeing what I have been missing all these years.
If anyone starts talking about EVs and IVs ignore them because you don't need to know.

daffy

Banned
So how do you go about getting the other starter Pokemon? Is trading the only way?

Then you would have to trade your only Snivy just to have a Tepig?

Blizzard

Banned
Nice job, only thing I noticed was that the Liberty Pass link is broken. I could not find where it was supposed to go...

friendcodes.gif

In order to properly maintain this list, please send a private message to me. I will add it once I come on to GAF, so please be patient.

Form: Name(Region: NA, JP, EU, AU) - Friend Code

643anime.gif
Black Version

MidnightScott(NA):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

644anime.gif
White Version

MidnightScott(JP): 0947-7858-0705

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blizzard said:
Nice job, only thing I noticed was that the Liberty Pass link is broken. I could not find where it was supposed to go...

Right right yeah, I'll fix that in a sec, ran a find+replace at the last second for Poke to Poké, which broke the links. I fixed everything in the links section but obviously, I missed one.

vanty

I haven't really paid much attention to the game until now, but doesn't White Forest seem significantly better than Black City? If you can catch good stuff there, but in Black can only battle them? Or are all the Pokemon you can find there can be found elsewhere as well so Black is fine?

Billychu said:
If anyone starts talking about EVs and IVs ignore them because you don't need to know.

Thanks for the heads up. As my first Pokemon game the last thing I want to do is overly complicate things to the point of frustration. Heck, I am probably not going to look at any external info and tips on the game outside the instruction manual.

GrumpyAlien said:
Thanks for the heads up. As my first Pokemon game the last thing I want to do is overly complicate things to the point of frustration. Heck, I am probably not going to look at any external info and tips on the game outside the instruction manual.
They're pretty all-ages. So you could get away just fine by popping the cartridge in and just going with it. Getting familiar with the typing (fire, grass, rock, etc) is probably the single biggest thing you can do and they generally give you plenty of room to just trial and error it.

The rabbit hole goes pretty damned deep, though. There is metagame like woah if you really want to explore it. Hidden stat systems and breeding chains. And oh man, the jargon.

DarkWish

Wow, awesome job!

Definitely excited. Got Pokemon White pre-ordered and will be picking Snivy as my starter. Can't wait for Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom