• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Most 3DS developers worked on Wii U. Pokemon models have ben made HD ready.

So barely I guess.

It plays exactly one type of games only. Thats not really a hybrid.
In confused what you're saying. NX is a handheld and console combined together pretty much, which is a hybrid.

I had my doubts about NX but the way MS and Sony is headed I feel like Nintendo will have the space to do as they please with most console gamers going X1S/PS4P and NX.

They seem open to change and innovation so I support their efforts. Great time to be a gamer.

georly

Doesn't sound like he said shit - what am I missing?

If they're seeking to redefine what people think of as a 'console' it's certainly not going to be a traditional console or ps4 competitor as some are thinking. And it's not going to just be a 3DS follow up either.

The hybrid rumors currently line up with what he is saying, it's neither a traditional handheld nor a traditional console.

That said, I guess, in theory, it could be a hat, which is also neither a traditional console or handheld. But no nx rumors are claiming the nx is a hat.

Oersted

what if sony announced a vita replacement tomorrow with a tv out. nintendo couldn't compete with something like that.

Sony tried two times competing with a Pokemon device. It won't work.

If they're seeking to redefine what people think of as a 'console' it's certainly not going to be a traditional console or ps4 competitor as some are thinking. And it's not going to just be a 3DS follow up either.

The hybrid rumors currently line up with what he is saying, it's neither a traditional handheld nor a traditional console.

That said, I guess, in theory, it could be a hat, which is also neither a traditional console or handheld. But no nx rumors are claiming the nx is a hat.

A hybrid in the actual sense of the word would be a console that plays Wii U and 3DS games. This is, well, a new thing.

But I think we all agree what it is, despite using a different word for it.

Mario Galaxy 3 on the go oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Interesting you should say this, because this could be a weird flaw in the hybrid system. When Nintendo started developing 3D Land the first thing they did was put Galaxy on a tiny screen to show it felt/played. It didn't work, hence the chunkier, more zoomed in look of 3D Land.

I wonder if the games Nintendo are designing will be fundamentally changed by needing to be played on a tiny screen and how it would affect the ambition of their games.

Sami+

Fucking announce it already God damn. Never seen a company so nervous for SO LONG about selling me a thing.

Celine

"Pokémon Co.’s chief executive said Tuesday his company plans to create games for Nintendo Co.’s next-generation system"
Obvious is obvious.

Neoxon

If NX gets a mainline Pokemon game that pretty much guarantees it will be more successful than the Wii U. I'm hoping it will support Pokemon Go as well, don't see any reason why it wouldn't?

Question is - over its lifetime will NX sell more than 3DS + Wii U? (that it is replacing)
No constant internet connection & (possibly) no GPS for starters.

Kinda confirms NX will have GPS as well. or not?
The mainline Pokémon games don't really need a GPS (see every past Nintendo handheld).

Parshias7

Yeah right, expect sun and moon graphics upressed.

I know you're joking here, but the high quality 3D models for the Pokemon and Trainers (the in-battle stuff where the people have normal proportions) are actually pretty good in the 3DS titles. Its just the 3DS' resolution and power ends up giving us bad textures and jaggies.

Sun and Moon in 720p and with some more cel shading would look pretty damn good.

Ubernube

Interesting you should say this, because this could be a weird flaw in the hybrid system. When Nintendo started developing 3D Land the first thing they did was put Galaxy on a tiny screen to show it felt/played. It didn't work, hence the chunkier, more zoomed in look of 3D Land.

I wonder if the games Nintendo are designing will be fundamentally changed by needing to be played on a tiny screen and how it would affect the ambition of their games.

I suspect some games will be designed more in line with being played as a home console game (like Breath of the Wild), and others designed more as a on the go, handheld experience, but neither is restricted from being played as either.

Calm Mind

You mean like the PSP? No, Sony should wait until they can squeeze PS4 into a handheld and go the Sega route of putting their last console generation into a handheld form factor, sucks for all the disc owners out there, but I suspect discs are on the way out, especially with Sony not supporting the current bluray format for their Pro gaming box.

I'm still not too sure that gambit will pay off. At least not for another 10 years until the bandwidth increases in the West.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I dont care what it is. If they are making pokemon games for a nintendo "console" then I'm in. I remember being amazed I could play Pokemon R/B/Y on my TV through the N64. So i guess it'll be like that but way better.

I've been wanting a proper console pokemon game forever. Something on the level of Zelda would be amazing. Open world, visible wild pokemon, more "realistic" battles, proper pokemon league competitions. Cant wait to see what they do.

Malus

It's rumored to be about the same size as the gamepad screen and off-tv play didn't seem to change anything so I don't see much happening there.

Some Nobody

Who cares what it is.

Pokemon in HD is the news.

I think we wait quite a bit before that happens. Sun and Moon aren't it. Star won't be it. I think these are just uprezzed ports.

But the game after that? Well, hopefully. I've wanted an HD Pokémon for awhile now lol.

Malus

I've been wanting a proper console pokemon game forever. Something on the level of Zelda would be amazing. Open world, visible wild pokemon, more "realistic" battles, proper pokemon league competitions. Cant wait to see what they do.

Yeahhhhh we'll see about that..

oti

Banned
Pokémon is already moving towards a more realistic feel to some degree (no more chibi trash, more cinematic camera angles) and in those 3DS HD emulation videos the Pokémon games look pretty neat. This could be really cool.

I suspect some games will be designed more in line with being played as a home console game (like Breath of the Wild), and others designed more as a on the go, handheld experience, but neither is restricted from being played as either.

This would be ideal. It would be cool to play small experimental things like Rusty's Real Deal on the big screen and BotW on the go.

It's rumored to be about the same size as the gamepad screen and off-tv play didn't seem to change anything so I don't see much happening there.

True.

thefro

Also seems to point towards mainline Pokemon games coming to NX (as previously rumored).

better than 9 ps4pro threads

Haha, there were like 4-5 "Digital Foundry tries to sell you on PS4 Pro" threads all on the front page at one point after that reveal.

The NX screen is rumored to be 6.2 inches (at this point) which is a lot bigger than the 3DS screens, so I wouldn't worry about that type of thing.

KHlover

Banned

Well that was on the tiny 3DS screen. NX screen will undoubtly be bigger.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Wow.... so we are still believing NX to be hybrid? What has happened to Gaf!? ..... smh

You're right. Let's listen to delusional YouTubers instead. NX is a PS4 Pro killer, friends!

The meltdowns at the reveal will be amazing.

NX's rumored screen is much larger and will have over 9x as many pixels. It won't be an issue.

skypunch

Banned

I can already see this being the case. Expect more games to be broken up into bitesize stages or levels to facilitate a more pick up and play experience :(

Much preferred Nintendo games when they didn't do this!

We've been seeing home->portable ports of major Nintendo games for decades now without significant problem--this will mostly cut the wait time. Well, I suppose there's the occasional Skyward Sword that will be trouble, but not due to screen size.

Top Bottom