• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

alvmew

I hope you have every version of a form change (ex: Shaymin and Sky Forme Shaymin), every Unown letter, every Minior color, both colors of Basculin and Shellos, all Wormadam cloaks, male and female versions of Pokemon with gender differences (such as the tails for Pikachu), all Sawsbuck seasons, all Vivillion patterns, all Gourgeist sizes, plus many other differences. If not, you don't have a REAL living Pokedex.

Better get back to work.

One of my happiest gaming moments was finally doing this a few months back.

KingBroly

Banned
....Spinda.

Now you're just cheating

I've been playing Yellow of all things recently and...yeah, that game is OLD. So many little things I take for granted in new games that I now have to worry about.

- Remembering if I caught a Pokemon or not
- Switching Boxes so I can catch a Pokemon
- A major lack of items
- Everything feels so stiff

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've beaten all three Gen one games in the past week (and played Yellow a second time today) and it's less a case of too few items as it is a case of too many items for the item slots you have. It's annoying as hell juggling all these TMs.

Gen 1 also has really fast catching animations and you can pretty much tell when you've caught a high catch rate pokemon because most of the time it will just plain miss.

Crits being attached to speed is never not funny. 90% of the moves being normal and useless is also a fun change. Some of the type matchups being different is amusing.

Which is better for someone who hasn't played Gen 1 since yellow came out? I have red and yellow and forget which one will give me the basics without a ton of difficulty

Forkball

Which is better for someone who hasn't played Gen 1 since yellow came out? I have red and yellow and forget which one will give me the basics without a ton of difficulty

They are both nearly the same, but I would say Yellow is the definitive version of Gen I. You can get all three starters, the sprite work is nice, it has vibrant GBC color palettes, and the Pokemon distribution is more interesting. It is harder then Red and Blue, but not significantly so.

I played through Yellow last year and while it is dated is many respects (box management is a pain...), the design of the game is still stellar after all these years and Gen I does some things better than any Pokemon game that came after it. It really is a timeless classic.

Yellow has some changes I'm still not too fond of:
- The level nerf on Brock was completely unnecessary considering they give you every opportunity to get something with a fighting or psychic move.
- Surge only having Raichu was show-accurate but laughable.
- The removal of the three rockets in Pokemon Tower for a Jessie and James fight removed some XP for the upcoming gyms.
- Koga having 3 Venonat was just weird considering he had a Golbat in the show and also made him too easy.
- Losing the elemental punch trio therefore requiring both Red and Blue to complete the dex.

However, it did do some things well:
- Most trainer sets were edited to not just be what moves they would have at their current level like most of the teams in RGB (ie. Blue's Exeggutor in RGB having three moves).
- The massive level increases on some trainers improved the difficulty due to Gen 1 not exactly having the smartest AI, I loved seeing a 5th Gym with a level 50.
- I really liked the changes to Blue's team, a lot of those Pokemon have never really been used by anyone in the late stages of the game.
- The spritework is probably some of the best in the series, giving a lot of personality that was lacking in the previous two sets (and some in the next few).
yellow-gbc.png

I guess I'll go with yellow then. I just don't want to play anything overly difficult since it's my last game I need to finish my 7 generation play through

wmlk

Just playing Moon again, and man, Hau'oli City at nighttime is so beautiful even on the 3DS, and with the jazzy music it's even more relaxing.

Heahea City again is really pretty especially at night too. The skyboxes are really well done in Sun and Moon. I think the game in general doesn't really look as good during the day.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just playing Moon again, and man, Hau'oli City at nighttime is so beautiful even on the 3DS, and with the jazzy music it's even more relaxing.

Heahea City again is really pretty especially at night too. The skyboxes are really well done in Sun and Moon. I think the game in general doesn't really look as good during the day.

I was astonished going back to gen vi how much better gen vii looks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yellow has some changes I'm still not too fond of:
- The level nerf on Brock was completely unnecessary considering they give you every opportunity to get something with a fighting or psychic move.
- Surge only having Raichu was show-accurate but laughable.
- The removal of the three rockets in Pokemon Tower for a Jessie and James fight removed some XP for the upcoming gyms.
- Koga having 3 Venonat was just weird considering he had a Golbat in the show and also made him too easy.
- Losing the elemental punch trio therefore requiring both Red and Blue to complete the dex.

However, it did do some things well:
- Most trainer sets were edited to not just be what moves they would have at their current level like most of the teams in RGB (ie. Blue's Exeggutor in RGB having three moves).
- The massive level increases on some trainers improved the difficulty due to Gen 1 not exactly having the smartest AI, I loved seeing a 5th Gym with a level 50.
- I really liked the changes to Blue's team, a lot of those Pokemon have never really been used by anyone in the late stages of the game.
- The spritework is probably some of the best in the series, giving a lot of personality that was lacking in the previous two sets (and some in the next few).

Yeah, Pokémon Yellow was were the series started embracing the cartoonish design for the Pokémon than the realistic design that they had in Red/Blue/Green.

It was also weird how they took the effort to matching Lt. Surge team with the animé but didn't bother to do it with the others, I wanted my Charizard to fight Blane's Magmar

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yellow is more fun than RB for the most part. It's got a better list of exclusives, you pretty much get everything but team rocket pokemon and the beedrill line, including all three starters. It's a bit harder because your rivals team is better, trainer pokemon don't just have what the leveled up pokemon would have and instead some of them have actual movesets, some are higher level too. It looks a lot better, though some of the re-designs are bad here and there. You can't cheat with Missingno anymore but most of the other exploits exist. The Surfing minigame is actually kinda addictive. The anime nods are a neat touch, one adding a nice tougher fight to the end of Mt Moon, another getting rid of three pointless rocket fights in the Pokémon Tower.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like Seafolk Village at night and I wish it was bigger. It has the best song in the game too.

Yep, really cool place. Spent a long time there after I figured out that's where Delmise must be, as I was missing a single pokemon from the Poni dex.

It was also weird how they took the effort to matching Lt. Surge team with the animé but didn't bother to do it with the others, I wanted my Charizard to fight Blane's Magmar
IIRC, the problem was that the Blaine episodes hadn't been written yet when Yellow was in development. Giovanni had already been revealed to have a Persian, but there was nothing on Blaine yet and they didn't know that Jessie and James would step in for Giovanni in the fight against Ash. Both of them really just received slight changes, a level boost, and some moveset fixes.

I can also assume they kinda wanted to rush Yellow out of the door before waiting for the anime to wrap up. The game seemed like it was meant to cover financially for the delay of Gen 2, it even had some prototype Gen 2 stuff (early friendship system, Pikachu's catch rate was changed to match the Light Ball's index number).

Mr-Joker

Banned
IIRC, the problem was that the Blaine episodes hadn't been written yet when Yellow was in development. Giovanni had already been revealed to have a Persian, but there was nothing on Blaine yet and they didn't know that Jessie and James would step in for Giovanni in the fight against Ash. Both of them really just received slight changes, a level boost, and some moveset fixes.

I can also assume they kinda wanted to rush Yellow out of the door before waiting for the anime to wrap up. The game seemed like it was meant to cover financially for the delay of Gen 2, it even had some prototype Gen 2 stuff (early friendship system, Pikachu's catch rate was changed to match the Light Ball's index number).

Interesting, though I am glad that Pokémon Yellow exist as while it was similar to the original game it still felt different and having Pikachu follow you was a hoot.

So we're just a little more than two weeks away from G&S VC release, and I'm $1.20 short from the 9.99 price.

Can you add that small amount to the account, or there is a minimum limit? I haven't bought or add funds since... RBY release I think? so I don't have a clue.

I don't want to add more than what I need because I'm sadly low on money every month

Mr-Joker

Banned
So we're just a little more than two weeks away from G&S VC release, and I'm $1.20 short from the 9.99 price.

Can you add that small amount to the account, or there is a minimum limit? I haven't bought or add funds since... RBY release I think? so I don't have a clue.

I don't want to add more than what I need because I'm sadly low on money every month

Yeah you can pay the rest by debit/credit card.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I feel like, for better or worse, this month's gonna be the big "blow out" of Ultra news.

BW2 also started getting info reveals 2 months before release. This, along with GF/TPC's fondness of revealing lots of details pre-release, will probably give us a much better idea of how much "new" is in USUM within the next few weeks.

I am really hoping that my theory is correct that when Gold and Silver releases on the 3DS virtual console they will announce Ultra Sun and Moon will have Gen 2 Pokémon with Alola form.

That would be totally cool. I would like to see some of those "Delta" forms from TCG. An Electric Alolan-Feraligtr on its four legs being zap-fast or something like that

GoldStarz

That would be totally cool. I would like to see some of those "Delta" forms from TCG. An Electric Alolan-Feraligtr on its four legs being zap-fast or something like that

Alola Forms basically already are Delta Pokemon since most of them have at least some sort of type change.

Grexeno

I heard this wild rumor that Game Freak is actually releasing a pair of Sun/Moon updates called Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon this year.

lupinko

I really enjoyed this year's movie. It was a nice way to finally do Hooh in the anime canon.

There were some changes for movie purposes but overall it doesn't really change the overall anime canon I think.
Answers things like how Cross or whatever was Charmander's original neglectful trainer, and the end credits showed off all of Satoshi/Ash's friends from Takeshi/Brock to Serena.

I like Makoto and Soji, they're good friends
but they go their separate ways at the end. Also Soji's childhood memory of his Luxray saving his life by sacrificing itself was sad. What wasn't sad was the retread of Ash dying again only to be saved by Pikachu bringing him out of the shadow nether dimension or whatever. Speaking of that it was funny seeing Ash in the real world. The Entei, Suicune and Raikou stuff was done nice too. I liked how the two opening trainers were the same ones from Mewtwo Strikes Back, it was a nice callback. One of the trainers looked like a popular Japanese actress I don't know if that was intentional or crosspromotional. Marshadow is kind of a jerk but is really adorable. Ash and Pikachu fight Hooh to test themselves at the end, and of course lose. But they took it in stride. I had a lot of fun and will watch again later this month when my NA copies of SM arrive to get more Marshadow. For the four movies I've seen here in Japan, this is tied with the Hoopa movie as my fave, the magearna and volcanion movie afterward and down in the bottom the Diancie movie.

Forkball

Pokémon Gold and Silver download cards are on sale now in Japan, along with Pokken DX cards.

I bet we get new Alolan forms for Gen I and II. Gen II was the least represented in SM and the timing is perfect with the release of GS VC and the PokeBank functions.

They could really start pumping out those info trailers, the game comes out in two months and we don't know a whole lot.

KingBroly

Banned
Pokémon Gold and Silver download cards are on sale now in Japan, along with Pokken DX cards.

I bet we get new Alolan forms for Gen I and II. Gen II was the least represented in SM and the timing is perfect with the release of GS VC and the PokeBank functions.

They could really start pumping out those info trailers, the game comes out in two months and we don't know a whole lot.

Alolan Marrill. Alolan Tyranitar. Alolan Zubat.

Is there a specific machine in Yellow I should use in the Game Corner?

Decided to finally go for a living bank. I know I'll be missing stuff from events for awhile but I just completed sun/moon and I want to keep going. I have Yellow on VC, Black, Y and Omega Saphire as well. So when Silver comes out I will have most of what I need. Wish I had started sooner.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's weird even if we aren't getting Gen 2 Alola Forms, I can't believe we don't have any new Gen 1s coming up---I was expecting at least one!

I'd like to see them save Gen 2 Regional Variants for Gen 8, just so we have a different climate for them to adapt to. I've been working on a FakeDex for a year in a Texas-inspired Region, just started working on it again the other night and about halfway through my planned 100~ roster, and had some neat ideas about how some of Gen 2's critters would handle a more rough region compared to the relatively peaceful and tranquil Johto Region.

PM dropped SM?
Pocket Monsters hasn't officially dropped Sun and Moon, they're just very far behind---only episode 26, and that was released a month ago.

The new group released 40, the current episode, and are filling in the gap with 27 released right after---a good time to pick the series up with KANTONOSTALGIA FEST coming up. The sub seems alright, they use the Japanese Pokemon names which doesn't bother me, though unlike PM they go a bit further and use the Japanese names of the attacks (at least they did with the Z-Moves) and items which PM would use the dub terminology for but, hey, everything else seems good.

Sun and Moon's writing isn't necessarily amazing, but I honestly like how they build up Ash's friends---it's weird having an episode that begins with someone other than Ash and he barely plays a role in it, like was the case with the "Farewell Sophocles" episode. But they basically turned that pre-Kanto League Arc where Ash hung around Pallet Town into an entire season, which is cool for a change of pace.

Anyone in here with a copy of moon that can swap UB and their second legendary with me?

Just finished getting all the UB in sun and legendaries and now I only need like 10 zygarde cells. Otherwise, I'm 75% done with the Alola pokédex. Then I'm going back to Yellow and filling them out in chronological order.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-at-big-plans-for-games-on-smartphone-switch

I told Nintendo that Switch wouldn’t be a success before it went on sale, because I thought that in the age of the smartphone, no one would carry out a game console. It’s obvious I was wrong. I came to realize the key to a successful game is quite simple: software with absolute quality leads sales of hardware. Playing style can be flexible if the software is attractive enough. Currently, it’s popular among the early adopters, but there needs to be one more step to attract a wider audience. I see more potential in Switch, but one shouldn’t overestimate its potential.

Kind of makes me think that the Switch title didn't start development until very recently. It could have been just PR, but there's no real reason for Ishihara to have be initally negative and skeptical if he wasn't being truthful.

I wonder where the series would have even gone if Switch wasn't doing well. The 3DS won't be around forever. Mobile maybe? If so, good thing that wasn't the case.

spiritfox

There has been an increase in the number of Pokémon games on mobile recently. Maybe they were testing it out before the Switch got big.

Top Bottom