• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

It's weird how Bisharp was in the last two episode titles as if it was the MAIN fight, but it appeared for like a minute in each. :/

Apparently, Bisharp is very popular in Japan due to its Super Sentai-like appearance. The use of its name in the episode titles was probably just to increase viewership by exploiting this popularity.

MikeMyers

Why does SS/HG have such a gap in pokemon levels? I have 16 badges but my team in only in the 50s. Elite four is in 70s now and Red is in 80s. How the hell am I supposed to level up?

Well Red has been training for 3 years, so I guess him being over leveled makes sense.

J@hranimo

Banned
Why does SS/HG have such a gap in pokemon levels? I have 16 badges but my team in only in the 50s. Elite four is in 70s now and Red is in 80s. How the hell am I supposed to level up?

I leveled my pokes to the mid 60s by doing Gym leader rematches. They help a lot. Try those out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Black 2 and White 2 News!

April 8th episode of Pokemon Smash will apparently reveal more information on it, I'm guessing possibly the first screens...maybe even a video, like when they revealed HG/SS.

They're apparently announcing a new project this week on Pokemon Smash as well, but when they advertised it, they showed pictures of all the Legendary Pokemon (the stars of movies) in the background, so I'm guessing it might be related to Anime...it's the 15th anniversary of it, and they're apparently recording something for it.

EDIT: An products have confirmed Black and White Kyurem as Dragon/Ice still...at least in their default forms.

Watch Da Birdie

Most people are speculating though, since we have the "Overdrive Mode", that they'll change their type when a certain condition is reached...perhaps when their health falls, or by using the unreleased Ice Burn and Freeze Shock attacks, which no Pokemon learns yet.

Frost_Ace

Black 2 and White 2 News!

April 8th episode of Pokemon Smash will apparently reveal more information on it, I'm guessing possibly the first screens...maybe even a video, like when they revealed HG/SS.

They're apparently announcing a new project this week on Pokemon Smash as well, but when they advertised it, they showed pictures of all the Legendary Pokemon (the stars of movies) in the background, so I'm guessing it might be related to Anime...it's the 15th anniversary of it, and they're apparently recording something for it.

EDIT: An products have confirmed Black and White Kyurem as Dragon/Ice still...at least in their default forms.

Can't wait!

I kind of want to start over in Pokemon White but have a lot of solid guys in my current game. Is there a current way to dump them all somewhere else? I don't have a Wii either...

I kind of want to start over in Pokemon White but have a lot of solid guys in my current game. Is there a current way to dump them all somewhere else? I don't have a Wii either...

You could always ask a friend or relative to take care of them until you're far enough into the game to trade them back. If that won't work, then I'm sure you could find someone trustworthy on PokéGAF to hold onto them for a while.

Watch Da Birdie

There's apparently rumors that Famitsu will be revealing a new Pokemon next week or something...which could be the Pokemon Smash Announcement this week.

Since the Pokemon Smash Preview showed a bunch of movie Pokemon, is it possible that Movie 15 might feature a brand-new Pokemon from Gen VI? Even though Gen IV waited till Movie #4 (13) to show off the first Gen V Pokemon, Zorua and Zoroark, Gen II and Gen III featured new Pokemon (Kecleon, Azurill, and Wailmer in Celebi's Mini-Movie, although Kecleon debuted earlier in the show and Munchlax in Deoxys), so it's not too early.

EDIT: Although, I've seen people point out it might be Meloetta's yet-unrevealed Pirouette Form. :/

There's apparently rumors that Famitsu will be revealing a new Pokemon next week or something...which could be the Pokemon Smash Announcement this week.

You can't even fathom how happy that would make me.

Japan does refer to Formes as "new Pokémon," though (i.e. Shaymin's Sky Forme, Giratina's Origin Forme), so the liklihood that it will be Meloetta's Pirouette form is very high :<

Since the Pokemon Smash Preview showed a bunch of movie Pokemon, is it possible that Movie 15 might feature a brand-new Pokemon from Gen VI? Even though Gen IV waited till Movie #4 (13) to show off the first Gen V Pokemon, Zorua and Zoroark, Gen II and Gen III featured new Pokemon (Kecleon, Azurill, and Wailmer in Celebi's Mini-Movie, although Kecleon debuted earlier in the show and Munchlax in Deoxys), so it's not too early.

Well, if we bring out the Nerdy Fan Pattern Recognition, the first Gen III Pokémon were revealed for Gen II's second movie, the first Gen IV Pokémon was revealed for Gen III's third movie, and the first Gen V Pokémon was revealed for Gen IV's 4th movie.

Now, if we assume that Gen V was a blip, it would make a certain amount of sense for a Gen VI Pokémon to be revealed in the Keldeo movie, as it's the second movie of the generation. However, there is another pattern; Pokémon from the next generation tend only to be revealed when there are no more Pokémon from the current one left to go. Ignoring the reveals of Gen II Pokémon, as almightily screwed up as they were, and we're left with the last Gen II Pokémon being revealed at the same time as the first Gen III ones (Celebi and Azurill/Wynaut/Kecleon), and the last Gen III Pokémon being revealed at the same time as the first Gen IV one (Deoxys and Munchlax). Now, Gen V breaks the pattern a bit, only debuting a new Pokémon a year after the last Gen IV Pokémon was revealed (Arceus). However, the fourth gen movies had a bit of a different thing going on, with the conclusion of the arc plot running across the three movies, something there is no sign of with the Best Wishes movies. The Arceus movie was packed enough, without throwing extra Pokémon into places where, the logic of the series dictates, they should not be (Unova being a clean break from the other regions and all).

TLDR: I don't think we'll see a properly new Pokémon in the fifteenth movie, as Genesect is still yet to be revealed to fill up the Gen V roster. However, I will be very surprised indeed if we do not see a Gen VI Pokémon of some kind next year. In fact, I would not be surprised to see a Gen VI Pokémon headlining next summer, a la Lucario or Zoroark. Whereas the movies gave Arceus space on its own to highlight its importance as a Pokémon, Genesect really doesn't require that at all; in fact, I'd argue that its backstory would make a more suitable culmination for the plot that Team Rocket's been putting together in the anime; fossils, revival technology, massive amounts of electricity. I would be unsurprised if Genesect appeared with Plasma in the anime this winter, leaving space for a Gen VI blowout next year; the way they've hurriedly dealt with Keldeo, Kyurem's formes and Meloetta in one movie certainly suggests to me that they're hurrying things along.

In other news, HOLY SHIT MUNCHLAX WAS REVEALED NEARLY EIGHT YEARS AGO. 0_o

Younicorn

Neo Member
Quick question: I'm at the game corner in Heart Gold cashing in 2,100 coins for a Dratini.

I'm trying to soft reset to get a shiny one, as it's easier than trying to search for one.

My question is - when I cash in my coins and the Dratini automatically drops into my party, is there a chance it can be a shiny? I worry it may be different as its not an 'encounter' (no battle, etc.). Obviously I'll have to check the summary screen and hope it's purple, but I just am paranoid I'll invest hours and hours into SR's only to find out it's not technically categorized as an encounter so it may not drop in as a shiny?

Anyone have any experience with this specific example?

Quick question: I'm at the game corner in Heart Gold cashing in 2,100 coins for a Dratini.

I'm trying to soft reset to get a shiny one, as it's easier than trying to search for one.

My question is - when I cash in my coins and the Dratini automatically drops into my party, is there a chance it can be a shiny? I worry it may be different as its not an 'encounter' (no battle, etc.). Obviously I'll have to check the summary screen and hope it's purple, but I just am paranoid I'll invest hours and hours into SR's only to find out it's not technically categorized as an encounter so it may not drop in as a shiny?

I soft reset until I got a Porygon with the nature I wanted, so it should work.

OMG Aero

You can't even fathom how happy that would make me.

Japan does refer to Formes as "new Pokémon," though (i.e. Shaymin's Sky Forme, Giratina's Origin Forme), so the liklihood that it will be Meloetta's Pirouette form is very high :<
There is no way it is going to be an actual new Pokemon. It'd be crazy to announce brand new Pokemon before BW2 are out unless they do a weird thing like Bonsly in Pokemon XD in BW2.
Like you said it'll end up just being Meloetta's other form or another new form from BW2.

Side note, does anyone else think it's stupid that they use the word forme instead of just form? What's up with that?

Watch Da Birdie

It's to differentiate the Legendary-type "transformations" from the plain old alternate looking versions of common Pokemon, like the different Wormadam and Basculin, iirc.

Toppot

This Youtube video, and the comments show it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6aE2kFiIY

Wiz

Did anyone here enter that International Wi-Fi tournament that took place last weekend? How'd you guys do?

I was planning on entering but was so busy I never found time to battle. I did enter the first wi-fi tournament back in October though.

I remember buying Destiny Deoxys on VHS when I was 12. I think it's lying in a box somewhere in my parents' house...

Maybe I should pay them a visit.

We STILL haven't had this movie in the UK.

Finally comes out on Monday.

You were 10 in 2004?!

I think I'll go cry in a corner now...

You know it.

Ruby and Sapphire came out in Britain a few months after my ninth birthday.

So there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm glad I was old enough to get into the Poke-craze when it was first taking off. And also, going back to Red/Blue after the later games would have been hard. Glad to have played them first and then every game in sequence afterwards.

I'm glad I was old enough to get into the Poke-craze when it was first taking off. And also, going back to Red/Blue after the later games would have been hard. Glad to have played them first and then every game in sequence afterwards.

I remember replaying Emerald after playing the hell out of Pearl. Shit was a lot tougher thanks to the lack of Physical/Special properties.

Dishwalla

Banned
I've got a stupid question regarding Heartgold; how do I make it so the Team Rocket member who gives you the Team Rocket suit in the GoldenRod Tunnel appears? I've caught the Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage, I eradicated Team Rocket from the souvenir shop, and I've beaten the Mahogany Town gym, but when I go back to Goldenrod the member isn't standing next to the photo booth like he should be. Am I missing something?

Ultratech

Indeed. I remember being in about 5th/6th grade about the time it hit our school. Good times...
But yeah, I imagine it'd be hard going back to the older games if you hadn't played them beforehand. The games have really changed a lot since the original R/G/B/Y.

"Back in my day, we only had 151 pokes and no Wi-Fi! We had to use Link Cables to get missing pokes."
"What's a Link Cable?"
=_=

I didn't trade with other people myself until Sapphire (Gold half counts; it was a friend's copy, and both of us worked towards a 248/251 dex through careful trades). RBY were purely single player experiences for me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was 8 when Pokemon Red & Blue came out. It was nuts. I always remember kids saying they had a billion Pokemon and that they had a relative at Nintendo that knew all the secrets.

At one point I went through the "get off my lawn, 151 or nothing" phase but I realize that's just stupid and from a story-telling stand point makes sense. A vast world with hundreds of species.

MikeMyers

Indeed. I remember being in about 5th/6th grade about the time it hit our school. Good times...
But yeah, I imagine it'd be hard going back to the older games if you hadn't played them beforehand. The games have really changed a lot since the original R/G/B/Y.

"Back in my day, we only had 151 pokes and no Wi-Fi! We had to use Link Cables to get missing pokes."
"What's a Link Cable?"
=_=

My link cable is right next to me. :)

Boogiepop

I still remember doing the link cable cloning glitch. Passed around quite a few of our level 100s until it wiped my cousin's save file. Turns out intentionally screwing with the saving of a game with no backup save wasn't such a smart idea, heh.

I didn't really get into trading until the Ruby and Sapphire era on account of all of my friends being clumps, so my first Link Cable was one of those dual GBA/GBC dealies. I sometimes take it out so my roommate and I can play Blue Vs. Battles and Battle Frontier in Emerald.

PS_GUY

Apparently a new Pokemon will be revealed in the next issue of Famitsu.

Here's the text..

&#12499;&#12483;&#12464;&#12473;&#12463;&#12540;&#12503;!

&#35598;&#12398;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;&#12434;&#27425;&#21495;&#12391;&#32057;&#20171;

&#12452;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;&#22320;&#26041;&#12398;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;?

&#35443;&#32048;&#12399;&#24453;&#12385;&#36960;&#12375;&#12356;&#27425;&#21495;&#12391;!!

Big Scoop!

Mysterious Pokemon will be introduced in the next issue

Is it related to a Pokemon from Unova?

Only time will tell. Please read our next issue to find out!

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=8384

Everyone is speculating that it'll be Meloetta's other form. The issue comes out next week so hopefully it'll leak soon.

It should be a rule that they can't release new forms until they actually give us a means of obtaining the pokemon itself in the first place.

I just wish event items were easily accessible from the get go or at least in the games themselves and obtainable. I always wanted an Azure flute...

Top Bottom