• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

OMG Aero

Guys, is anyone available right now for a quick trade? I want to get a Zekrom from a Black version to my White one, but I'm in a dark room, with no extra DS and I'm supposed to not make any noise at this time of the day (it's past 1am here).

Anyone available? I'd really appreciate it!
If you are still around I can do it, my friend code is 0303-8952-5471.

Andrefpvs

I think I just saw you but then you flew away? :(

Evidently I can't Nintendo WFC properly. Wanna try again?

Edit: I don't think it's going to let us do it. In that case I shouldn't be wasting your time! Lemme know, okay?

EDIT 2: MAGIC!

OMG Aero

Hey you know what Game Freak should do with Black and White 2? Fix the broken online functionality.
Sometimes two people will just not be able to connect for no reason at all. This is by no means isolated because I've seen people post about it loads of times in this thread when trying to trade or battle and I have never seen this problem with any other Wi-Fi games.

Andrefpvs

Hey you know what Game Freak should do with Black and White 2? Fix the broken online functionality.
Sometimes two people will just not be able to connect for no reason at all. This is by no means isolated because I've seen people post about it loads of times in this thread when trying to trade or battle and I have never seen this problem with any other Wi-Fi games.

Word!

Thanks man, my main, second FC is 1291 7424 4768

There it is!

Well Game Freak this isn't frustrating at al... MAGIC!

Andrefpvs

Thanks so much for keeping up with me, OMG Aero. I really appreciate it.

By the way, I don't know if you're into that sort of thing but there's a high chance that Ferroseed has a bunch of perfect IV's, since it was from a batch I bred a while back.

Thanks once again!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
PokeGaf, how appropriate is it to cry if a family member overwrites a game you've logged 200+ hours on containing all your EV Pokemon and Shinies?

Because that might've just happened to me. :(

Watch Da Birdie

I don't know which game, but my brother texted me today saying he started a file on one of my games, but cruelly didn't tell me which. :(

It's okay if it's Heart Gold, Diamond, or Platinum, but if it's my White version...:0

Serious

I don't know which game, but my brother texted me today saying he started a file on one of my games, but cruelly didn't tell me which. :(

It's okay if it's Heart Gold, Diamond, or Platinum, but if it's my White version...:0

Don't you have to really go out of your way to start a new game, like enter some sequence of buttons before you actually start a new file? Man, if I lost my White save, I'd be so pissed. I've gone through that before in a way, only I just lost my Diamond cartridge altogether with a bunch of bred/trained dudes, but that was nothing compared to what I have currently.

Don't you have to really go out of your way to start a new game, like enter some sequence of buttons before you actually start a new file? Man, if I lost my White save, I'd be so pissed. I've gone through that before in a way, only I just lost my Diamond cartridge altogether with a bunch of bred/trained dudes, but that was nothing compared to what I have currently.
Oh wait, that's right!

(Note: On newer games, you can't save a new game over a prior one, since the game stops you from doing so. You have to specifically erase the old file before starting a new one. So as long as the combo wasn't known by said family member, you should be good.)

Watch Da Birdie

No, I think it simply makes it harder for the little cousin to accidentally overwrite it...if a 17 year old guy like my brother wanted to, he'd have no problem deleting the game and starting a new file. :/

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, he just texted me basically saying he borrowed one of my Pokemon games to play on his Spring Break, and he started a new game.

Monday I'm gonna run home and see which one suffered. :(

upandaway

Yeah, he just texted me basically saying he borrowed one of my Pokemon games to play on his Spring Break, and he started a new game.

Monday I'm gonna run home and see which one suffered. :(
Man, that's crazy. You gotta talk to the guy and explain that you don't do shit like that without saying anything.

No word given, but the general shape of the region, the castles, and the theme of the Pokemon hints towards being inspired by the U.K., but seems like an amalgam of Western Europe.

This will never be true. :(

People are crazy to expect a new region and Pokemon. It will be Unova again.

A new region makes a lot of sense, particularly if they're continuing the Plasma plot.

New Pokemon makes no damn sense of any kind.

The anime's getting to the seventh gym at the start of May. I'm betting the league'll basically be done by September. Then they either do Eastern Unova (doubtful they can stretch that for the year or two that we'll have to wait for a new Gen), Hoenn (very doubtful, as we have precisely no indication that they're doing remakes any time soon), or...

Happy Easter, PokéGAF! I trust the Easter Buneary treated you well and...

PokeGaf, how appropriate is it to cry if a family member overwrites a game you've logged 200+ hours on containing all your EV Pokemon and Shinies?

Because that might've just happened to me. :(

Oh. Oh my.

Yes, it is totally appropriate to cry. I cried when my Pokémon Silver cartridge containing my level 100 shiny Espeon became corrupted. I cried when my 4-year-old cousin released my Gardevoir without my knowing and I saved.

I totally feel for you bro, and although I've never experienced an event of quite that magnitude, I've been in those shoes before.

Godspeed, Birdie. Get thee to thy brother and if your beliefs are justified, rain Arceus' Judgement upon him.

Myyke

Neo Member
Sup guys,

This is my first post in the community thread, but I'm hoping to drop by here more often!

I'm just getting back into Pokemon (not played any main series games since Red/Blue/Yellow). I know I'd like to get back into things with the DS games, but I'm still undecided about whether to start off with Platinum and work my way through HG/SS then Black/White, or just start things fresh with Black/White straight away.

Any significant pros/cons of either route? I've been doing some research and the only thing really worrying me about not jumping in straight away with Black/White is missing out on some of the time-limited WiFi downloads if I take too long playing the previous games (like Arceus, etc).

Would appreciate any advice/opinions!

Welcome to the Community thread. Please leave your sanity at the door.

All jokes aside, you should play every Pokémon game eventually, but unless you start this second, you should probably play Black and White in preperation for BW2.

Plus, Black and White are the best games in the series (*flame shield up*)

Sup guys,

This is my first post in the community thread, but I'm hoping to drop by here more often!

I'm just getting back into Pokemon (not played any main series games since Red/Blue/Yellow). I know I'd like to get back into things with the DS games, but I'm still undecided about whether to start off with Platinum and work my way through HG/SS then Black/White, or just start things fresh with Black/White straight away.

Any significant pros/cons of either route? I've been doing some research and the only thing really worrying me about not jumping in straight away with Black/White is missing out on some of the time-limited WiFi downloads if I take too long playing the previous games (like Arceus, etc).

Would appreciate any advice/opinions!

Welcome!

I'd say you're probably better off starting with Platinum, and working your way through. The thing about Black and White is that it makes it quite difficult to go back and play the previous games; they were billed as a fresh start throughout development. Platinum and HG/SS are excellent games, and deserve to be played without prior preconceptions.

I wouldn't worry about missing BWs WiFi events too much; if there's a Pokemon from them that you desire, the Community thread has a long history of trading Pokemon to those who need it. I daresay that if some ultra desirable WiFi offer comes along, if you ask someone will download it and trade it to you when you play BW.

The only possible arguments I can see for playing BW first are that they are the best games, and that with Black and White 2 coming before the end of the year, it may be a good idea to get up to speed. Also, they're a natural jumping on point, with an entirely new set of Pokemon until the postgame.

If you're willing to start with Platinum, though, I'd say that's a great place to start.

Ultratech

Welcome!

I'd say you're probably better off starting with Platinum, and working your way through. The thing about Black and White is that it makes it quite difficult to go back and play the previous games; they were billed as a fresh start throughout development. Platinum and HG/SS are excellent games, and deserve to be played without prior preconceptions.

If you're willing to start with Platinum, though, I'd say that's a great place to start.

Yep. I agree with this. Best to experience the past games first.
Going from Platinum --> HG/SS --> B/W

Man, I'd go into an Unstoppable Rage if someone save over my Black cart. It's the culmination of 1000+ hours of playing. The idea of losing all that terrifies me.
Not quite as bad, but on my Leaf Green cart I had over 70 hours of game. My team as of the last save was:

Level 85 Charizard
Level 83 Raichu
Level 83 Vaporeon
Level 77 Kadabra
Level 75 Clefable
Level 66 Graveler (was always the straggler, though I'd intended to beef him up a bit)

I'd also caught everything in the game without trading. In LG this is 171, though in FR it's 169 because of different evolution methods and whatever.

WELL ANYWAY my brother's friend comes over and plays Leaf Green. He gets 14 minutes into the game and saves over my file.

WHAT THE FUCK MAN.

Okay here's what this presumes

1) I'm going to come over again and continue my save file
2) This isn't even my friend's game, it's my friend's brother's game
3) WHAT

rajlkawelkjrewjkfekgwelrkj

This is still what's preventing me from giving it another run. LG for a while was my main Pokemon game. Though I recently started another file, but with Bulbasaur. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

There's no stupidity quite like your own stupidity, though.

I am the man who unthinkingly deleted the White save file containing the good EVs, legitimate shiny Flygon that I put hours into. ;_;

Ragus

Banned
Hello, PokeGaf. I'm quite late to the party, as I've started playing Pokemon White 3 days ago, but I've got to tell you - the game is fantastic. I am especially entertained by Dream World - ability to catch older pokemons through your PC is great.

I have one question though: Does a kind of berry which we offer to the tree matter?

Hello, PokeGaf. I'm quite late to the party, as I've started playing Pokemon White 3 days ago, but I've got to tell you - the game is fantastic. I am especially entertained by Dream World - ability to catch older pokemons through your PC is great.

I have one question though: Does a kind of berry which we offer to the tree matter?

Hey, Ragus! I recognize you from IcarusGAF!

I'm glad you're enjoying White--as you can tell by my avatar it's my favourite game in the series.

As for the berry; no it doesn't matter. Just give whatever you have the most of.

Ragus

Banned
I recognize you from IcarusGAF!

Oh you know, jumping from one great game to another ;).

Ok, thanks for reply. One more more thing: Yesterday I got Reshiram through Mystery Gift and today I got Arceus from Dream World. I guess there is no way for me to take part in past events (like for example that Mewtwo one)? Also, are we going to see any more events before B/W 2 launches?

Oh you know, jumping from one great game to another ;).

Ok, thanks for reply. One more more thing: Yesterday I got Reshiram through Mystery Gift and today I got Arceus from Dream World. I guess there is no way for me to take part in past events (like for example that Mewtwo one)? Also, are we going to see any more events before B/W 2 launches?

Yeah, unfortunately there's no way to take part in past events, otherwise I'd have that Mew I missed in 2010 T_T

There's a good chance that we'll see the Keldeo and possibly Meloetta events before BW2, if not in December.

OMG Aero

Japan had an event last year that let you receive either a Tornadus (If you have White) or a Thundurus (If you have Black) to go with an episode of the anime and so you can catch Landorus without having to trade with someone.
That same episode airs in America in three weeks so hopefully we might get the same event, then I'd finally be able to complete my Unova dex.

Japan had an event last year that let you receive either a Tornadus (If you have White) or a Thundurus (If you have Black) to go with an episode of the anime and so you can catch Landorus without having to trade with someone.
That same episode airs in America in three weeks so hopefully we might get the same event, then I'd finally be able to complete my Unova dex.

I would gladly lend you either my Tornadus or Thundurus for the time it takes to catch Landorus, if you're interested.

OMG Aero

I would gladly lend you either my Tornadus or Thundurus for the time it takes to catch Landorus, if you're interested.
Well, I have this terrible OCD where I need to have one of every Pokemon in my PC at a time to consider the dex complete but I suppose just having one empty space at the end of the Unova dex is better than two so sure, I'm up for borrowing the one I need if you can trade now.
Tornadus is the one I need.

Well, I have this terrible OCD where I need to have one of every Pokemon in my PC at a time to consider the dex complete but I suppose just having one empty space at the end of the Unova dex is better than two so sure, I'm up for borrowing the one I need if you can trade now.
Tornadus is the one I need.

I can trade it to you when I'm back in my dorm tonight. Heck, you can keep it if you want; I really don't care.

Top Bottom