• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

1) I think the FR/LG soudtrack is generally better than the original, the are definitely some tracks that overshoot "rich" and land firmly in "busy" territory. Viridian Forest, however, isn't one3 of them. It's mostly the battle themes, especially the Champion battle theme that hafve too much going on. Which is desappointing since, battle themes are arguably the most important song in the game and definitely the ones you'll hear the most.

2) You say that as if there aren't EV/IV equivalent mechanics (which are much worse) in RBY. Regardless, lacking things like Natures and EVs is definitely a negative. Why would you want to lose the characteristics that make each Pokémon unique?

Actually, the whole IV did slip my mind, so I am going to give you that one. But I still prefer the music in the original games.

And it is just other things that bother me. For example, the fossil Pokemon are now at level 5 instead of Level 30, making them useless (Hitmonchan/lee comes at a lower level too, but Lapras comes at a decent level now which is pretty cool). Another example is Giovanni's Rhydon being replaced by Rhyhorn, and Sabrina going from being one of the harder fights to being the AI stupidly spamming Future Sight.

Plus, Lance's Hyper Beam strategy is no longer intimidating.

Aggrotek

So I managed to send Arceus to my friendboard? I think thats what it's called... But I can't connect to the Wireless because my router isn't compatible with Nintendo WFC. Will my Arceus stay there til I claim it or will it disappear on May 1? :(

For new page....

Firestorm

With people cracking the RNG, breeding isn't anywhere near as painful in the old days.
Is there anything positive about the IV system?
The only strategic use you get out of it is trying to figure out if you want your Pokemon to be as slow as possible for Trick Room or decent enough to outspeed others normally (So 0 or 31 for speed). Also to figure out what stats to use for Hidden Power I guess.

I guess I don't particularly care if flavor text says my Zubat is any different than another Zubat. It just kind of annoys me when I play the newer games and catch a -Attack nature Darumaka or that I have to catch 3 different Marill's just to get one with the good ability. I guess R/B's way of doing things isn't necessarily better but it's just more fun for me than having to spin a roulette wheel every time I catch a Pokemon and hope it ends up how I want it.
Pretty sure I went through Pearl with a Modest Staraptor!

Wiseblade

I guess I don't particularly care if flavor text says my Zubat is any different than another Zubat. It just kind of annoys me when I play the newer games and catch a -Attack nature Darumaka or that I have to catch 3 different Marill's just to get one with the good ability. I guess R/B's way of doing things isn't necessarily better but it's just more fun for me than having to spin a roulette wheel every time I catch a Pokemon and hope it ends up how I want it.

Except an attack reducing nature isn't going to stop Darmanitan from tearing through everything in-game. Not even a little bit. The only time you ever have to worry about min-maxing is if you in the battle Tower/Subway/Frontier or you're playing against another person.

So Arceus is on my friendboard, but I cannot use the game sync for 48 hours because lolnintendo. Will I still be able to get Arceus? I don't have a pokemon tucked in yet and cannot do so for 48 hours due to switching to a 3ds, but I'm hoping he'll still be there since I already signed up to PGL and entered the code.

Like I was going to pass up an opportunity to badmouth GSC. And with Andrex gone, there's no one to stop me!

Hey man, back off. I loved GSC's Safari Zone, and exploring the Power Plant, Lavender Tower, the Seafoam Islands, Cerulean Cave and Cinnebar Island again.

This is fun.

Like I was going to pass up an opportunity to badmouth GSC. And with Andrex gone, there's no one to stop me!

That's where you're wrong.

I am a servant of the Secret Power, wielder of the Flame of Ho-oh. The darkness will not avail you, Water of Sinnoh! Go back to the shadows, for YOU. SHALL NOT. PASS.

Hey man, back off. I loved GSC's Safari Zone, and exploring the Power Plant, Lavender Tower, the Seafoam Islands, Cerulean Cave and Cinnebar Island again.

This is fun.

Hey lets not leave Johto itself out of this little love in, I loved the new Dark types that I may occasionally see in trainer battles and nowhere else, the numerous caves that weren't actually necessary and of course the later Johto pokemon levels being consistent over multiple areas leading to glorious grinding afterwards the likes of which no Pokemon game has managed to replicate.

you swiped all the good points! granted not having to go in caves is a plus for me

Wiseblade

The Seafoam Islands sucked, why would I want to go back there?

iblmEf4pc7ODJn.gif

Of course I would've liked Kanto to be more fleshed out, but after finally getting that 16th badge you eventually make your way to Route 28 and then to Mt. Silver. And when you finally reach the summit, oh boy, you click A and are greeted with "..." and then begins the best battle in any pokemon game to date.

Aggrotek

So I made a dumb move... I found a place that my DS can connect [woo hoo] but... I put a pokemon in the DW and decided I wanted a different one in there... I didn't realize I'd have to wait another day to put a pokemon in there.... So now I am potentially screwed out of getting Arceus... :(

Also, does anyone hunt shinies here?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dex Progress: 218/646
Did a lot of PokeTransfer Fun. Now comes the part where I breed and evolve. Hehehe.

Sooo how's this for a team? I'm not interested multiplayer, just having a fairly strong team for the post game insanity.
Charizard
Swampert
Garchomp
Sceptile
Lucario
Vanilluxe

The last one I'm iffy on.

why would you want a shitty forest filled with level 3 bug pokemon when you're passing through with your level 50+ pokemon and you've already passed though other forests

The only thing from Kanto that I was bummed that wasn't in GSC was the Safari Zone. The other stuff I really couldn't care less about.

MikeMyers

I liked Seaform Islands because there just so many Pokemon there: Slowpoke, Seel, Staryu, etc.

Power Plant, on the otherhand, was annoying due to all the suicidal Electrodes.

why would you want a shitty forest filled with level 3 bug pokemon when you're passing through with your level 50+ pokemon and you've already passed though other forests

GSC should have had strong Kanto Pokemon just to keep the game interesting. Imagine finding a Level 40 Beedrill in the wild.

Wiseblade

Not sure what finding the Regis has anything to do with the other things...

It was my ranking of the best single player experiences in Pokémon games.

"I wonder What's in that underwater patch on route 132? I'd have to deal with those water currents though..."

"Dots? What the... Hang on, this is Braille! But I don't know Braille. how am I going to translate this?"

*cue epic flashback to reading the manual on the bus home after buying the game*

Me said:
"Why on earth is there a Braille guide in this thing?"

"THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER"

Top Bottom