• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Magnus

I'm really diggin checkin these games out again after a year-long hiatus.

As a younger kid (ok, a teen), I dug the animé quite a bit, but probably stopped following when I first took a hiatus from the games (Gen 3).

What's a decent way to check the animé out now? since I feel quite certain there's a lot of filler in there mixed in with the decent eps. Like, would just checking the movies out be totally disorienting?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm really diggin checkin these games out again after a year-long hiatus.

As a younger kid (ok, a teen), I dug the animé quite a bit, but probably stopped following when I first took a hiatus from the games (Gen 3).

What's a decent way to check the animé out now? since I feel quite certain there's a lot of filler in there mixed in with the decent eps. Like, would just checking the movies out be totally disorienting?

Look around, you can probably find a decent list of episodes worth watching.

And some fillers, I'd argue, are far better than the "plot" episodes. In the latest season, for instance, all the Gym Battles have been pretty horrible (and they were so good in the DP seasons), but then you have a fun episode like the one based on Litwick that blows them out of the water.

Look around, you can probably find a decent list of episodes worth watching.

And some fillers, I'd argue, are far better than the "plot" episodes. In the latest season, for instance, all the Gym Battles have been pretty horrible (and they were so good in the DP seasons), but then you have a fun episode like the one based on Litwick that blows them out of the water.

I think it's rather ironic that I look forward to the tournament arcs more than the gym battles in this season -_-;

The general quality has improved since DP, though. Fo every good DP episode there were 5 awful ones.

Watch Da Birdie

I think it's rather ironic that I look forward to the tournament arcs more than the gym battles in this season -_-;

The general quality has improved since DP, though. Fo every good DP episode there were 5 awful ones.

Perhaps, but I'd say overall Diamond and Pearl was a far superior saga, just with a lot of fat. It was leagues better than Black and White in terms of character development and continuity, with even little filler episodes containing a cute nod back to a previous episode. Plus the battles weren't photo albums of stock-footage like the new ones.

I still need to finish it, but the Japanese episodes are no longer online. :/ And I really don't care for the dub anymore.

But yeah, Magnus, I'd check out Best Wishes...it's shorter, and it "resets" everything basically, so you won't be lost...Pokemon is a pretty easy show to jump back into. On the other hand, if you watched Kanto, it's a bit too similar...oh and so far, outside of a Pokedex and photos, there's been no old Pokemon besides Pikachu and Meowth, although that will change.

Here's a list of episodes worth seeing from Best Wishes...

001 - In the Shadow of Zekrom (introduces new rival, first episode obviously)
002 - Enter Iris and Axew (introduces new female friend)
003 - A Sandile Gusher of Change (this episode sucks, but it's not filler technically due to capture and introducing a certain reoccurring character)
004 - The Battle Club and Tepig's Choice (capture)
005 - Triple Leaders, Team Threats! (Gym)
006 - Dreams By the Yard Full (new traveling partner...
007 - Snivy Plays Hard to Catch (capture, first episodes are pretty plot-eventful like in Kanto)
009 - The Bloom is on Axew (character development and a "capture", sort of...)
010 - A Rival Battle For Club Champ (decent rival battle)
011 - A Home for Dwebble
013 - Mincinno-Neat and Tidy (new rival and fun to boot)
015 - The Battle According to Lenora (gym battle)
016 - Rematch at the Nacrene Gym
017 - Scraggy Hatched to Be Wild (the Pokemon egg in this episode is from 12, but it's just inserted at the end of 12 and has nothing to do with the plot)
018 - Sewaddle and Burgh in Pinwheel Forest (capture, Gym Leader debut)
019 - A Connoisseur's Revenge (new rival)
020 - Dancing With the Ducklett Trio (fun episode, with an evolution at the end that is important later on)
[there are two skipped episodes airing here focusing on the evil Team from Black and White...it's a long story, but there's foreshadowing to it in earlier episodes, but it's pretty much been written out)
023 - Battling For the Love of Bug-Types (horrible Gym Battle, and a random capture)
024 - Emolga the Irresistible (capture)
026 - Scare at the Litwick Mansion (great filler, and it introduces a reoccuring, but minor, character)
027 - The Dragon Master's Path (a plot point involving a move is solved, but it isn't that great an episode)
028 - Oshawott's Lost Scallop (new rival, and plot point that is reintroduced later on)
031 - Ash and Trip's Third Battle (rival battle, also minor plot point that is getting focus in a new episode in Japan)
032 - Facing Fear With Eyes Wide Open (two captures)
033 - Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster (rival introduced, plot point resolved)
034 - Gotta Catch a Roggenrola (capture)
038 - Movie Time! Zorua in "The Legend of the Pokemon Knight" (leads into next arc)
039-042 - Tournament Arc. Brings back a lot of rivals, and pretty good depending on how you view a certain character...
043 - Meowth's Scrafty Tactics (well, something important happens that might blow your mind)
047-048 - Team Rocket Arc. Resolves a plot point from 43 (you might want to check out atleast on the fillers for the full effect, else this plot point might lose a bit of its luster. 44 and 45 are okay)
049 - Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader (rival returns, Gym Leader intro)
050 - Dazzling the Nimbassa Gym (gym battle)
052 - Ash Versus the Champion (champion introduced, backstory for rival)
057 - The Might Accelguard to the Rescue (great filler, fun and incorporates a game character)
059-060 - Another Team Rocket Arc. It...uh...kinda sucks.
Dub Ends here at the moment...
061 - Battling the King of Mines (best gym battle in the season, imo)
062 - Crisis at Chargestone Cave (evolution, rival appears)
064 - Explorers of the Hero's Ruin (63 leads into this, but nothing of note happens in it really...this is filler, too, but it's fun, imo, and uses a game character/references a Legendary)
065 - Battling the Bully (capture...but, uh, this episode SUCKS and the capture is thrown in basically. Ideally skip to the end!)
Dub titles not revealed for following episodes
067 - Misaltron Air Battle! Challenger Cilan!? (cool battle, Gym Leader intro)
068 - Misaltron Gym! Vs Skyla, A Decisive Aerial Battle (Gym Battle)
069 - Barrier Breakthrough! Climb the Tower of the Sky (fun, sets up next arc)
070-073 - New Tournament Arc. Better than the first, imo.
074 - Rescue Axew! Durant's Nest! (evolution)
075-076. Another Team Rocket Arc. Practically a filler, from what I've heard.

But, yeah, some of these "plot" episodes are pretty bad, and some of the filler I left out was pretty good, but this is the bare-bones layout of episodes that effect later episodes.

But, basically, Best Wishes can be summed up by this picture...

xnR1y.png

Pretty sure there's a CWC comic with him in the exact same awkward pose.

I leave for a day and Andrex gets banned? nooooo

how is that admitting piracy? he said he plans to sell them but for now they're still in his possession?
don't ban me! :p

Also I've been checking out video of Conquest lately, it actually looks pretty good, at least something that I'll have to try out.

Busaiku

I leave for a day and Andrex gets banned? nooooo

how is that admitting piracy? he said he plans to sell them but for now they're still in his possession?
don't ban me! :p

Also I've been checking out video of Conquest lately, it actually looks pretty good, at least something that I'll have to try out.

He said he ripped them.

Ripping your own games isn't a bannable offense.
If he was banned because of that post, the motive would be admitting his plan to sell the games and keep his HDD copies.
Yeah, the fact that he'd sell the discs but keep the copies he made is what got him banned, but it's not a perma ban so whatever. He'll be back.
The pic is freaking cool. I NEED IT IN HI-RES ASAP!

White Kyurem should be on top, though.

You could just flip it, it really doesn't matter which way is up.

CassSept

Hitokage confirmed that avatars have nothing to do with perma bans.

Lack of avatars is due to avatars being hosted internally since somewhere last year. If someone had been permabanned before that event their avatars are gone as they couldn't rehost it to gaf server. That's all.

*moonwalks out*

Watch Da Birdie

There's been a lot of rumbling about Black 2 and White 2 containing two regions, due to the map we've seen being referred to as "page one" in an official source (I think they said it on Smash?), and now Media Factory, the publishers of the official player's guides in Japan, are releasing two separate B2 and W2 guides, one in June and one in July, like how they did for HG/SS, with one for Johto and one for Kanto.

Hoenn. :)

upandaway

There's been a lot of rumbling about Black 2 and White 2 containing two regions, due to the map we've seen being referred to as "page one" in an official source (I think they said it on Smash?), and now Media Factory, the publishers of the official player's guides in Japan, are releasing two separate B2 and W2 guides, one in June and one in July, like how they did for HG/SS, with one for Johto and one for Kanto.

Mother of god.

Hoenn aside, a second region would be so awesome. It would also adopt a standard of 2 regions for sequels (if you count GSC as sequels)

Frost_Ace

HYPE.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE.

backlot

Sure would be cool. I guess a second region would give me a good reason to actually try to use those gen 5 Pokemon that don't evolve until level 60 or whatever.

survivor

Banned

Have they ever released two guides before?

Anyway, having two regions is pretty awesome.

Wouldn't it be like:

Vol 1: Pre-game + Expanded Unova Dex
Vol 2: Post-game + National Dex

? At least, that's one possibility. Not necessarily a guarantee that there are two regions to cover. So I'll cool my expectations for now.

Have they ever released two guides before?

Anyway, having two regions is pretty awesome.

Both HGSS and BW had two guides (Johto and Kanto for HGSS and main story and NationalDex/Postgame for BW).

My bet is that the second guide is just the PokéDex and postgame; as it was previously stated by a dev that BW2 have nothing to do with Hoenn.

And if GameFreak makes us return to Sinnoh before Hoenn, I'm going to torch their headquarters with the fires of my rage.

Kokonoe

Banned
I purchased that Kanto one because it's a bit better than the Pocket version containing all the Pokemon at that time, and I manage to snag it for cheap at a Blockbuster that was closing down.

Honestly, I don't really appreciate the fact they release multiple guides. I just wish they would release one superior version on release.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the Official Media Factory guide in Japan are what I'm referring to, not international ones by Prima and such.

Top Bottom