• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Taking the following factors out of play - aesthetic and delayed learned moves - is there any reason not to evolve Pokemon as soon as you're able? That is, are evolutions always more powerful? I know there's supposed to be a hilarious fuckup that causes Chansey to be > Blissey, but otherwise?

Like, this Kadabra. I should Alakazam this shizzle ASAP, si?

In the case of Alakazam, yes. Kadabra and Alakazam learn moves at the same levels, so there's no drawback to evolving him as soon as possible.

Magnus

In the case of Alakazam, yes. Kadabra and Alakazam learn moves at the same levels, so there's no drawback to evolving him as soon as possible.

And Alakazam is more powerful statwise, si?

Question 2, total first world problem: I own, like most of you, multiple games and am enjoying trekking through all of them gaining different Pokemon in the hopes of eventually getting them all together ultimately on one black or white DS cart (and eventually, obvz onto a B/W2 cart).

Is there a good utility out there to function as a super personal-dex? Like, obviously I know there's no way to automatically combine Dexes from multiple games into one, but something like an iOS app or good checklist for me to manually use to remember which Pokemon I have and which I don't?

Serious

Top ten, eh? Hard to really decide. Do you judge by aesthetics, by functionality, or by a mixture of both?

1 - Roserade. I just love, love her design, and I have no idea why. But she looks awesome, and can kick some serious ass.

2 - Azumarill. Such a cute pokemon, so unassuming...until he starts hitting you with STAB Aqua Jets with higher attack strength than most legendaries. Everyone underestimates him, but he has good defense and has roughly equivalent attack to Rayquaza when trained properly. Just an awesome little guy.

3 - Vaporeon. The best of the Eeveelutions, though Jolteon is damn close. I've always loved Vaporeon, but mine actually has his own story going on. I was breeding Timid Wish Eevees for the hell of it one day on my Diamond cartridge. I decided to make one of the better ones into a Vaporeon. I EV trained it, but never got the chance to really use it. After SS came out, I Master Balled a good Zapdos, ground out the points to teach it Heat Wave, then traded it over to my Diamond file with the rest of my bred and EV trained guys. Circe came over, since he wasn't seeing any action. The next day, my Diamond cartridge feel out of my hoodie pocket when I was running to catch a bus home for Spring Break. Circe ended up leading my team to victory as the sole survivor from my Diamond game against the rest of Kanto, and almost single handedly beat Red in his mid 50s.

4 - Toxicroak. Cool typing, flexible movepool, and is just such a badass overall.

5 - Mienshao. So many people just say to use your favorites, but sometimes it just works the other way around. I liked Mienshao well enough from the beginning, but for some reason, I decided that she would be the first gen V pokemon I would breed. And holy shit, did I make the right call. Fake Out and U-Turn are just hilarious with Life Orb and Regenerator...or I can just apply a STAB HJK directly to the face. She's become a permanent fixture of my team. So frail, yet so hard to catch.

6 - Blastoise. Still the coolest starter, even if he's not the strongest by any means.

7 - Slowbro. Another example of a pokemon I liked becoming a pokemon I love due to being awesome in battle. Regenerator is ridiculously awesome on this guy, and makes him so fun to use. Switch in, take a resisted hit. Take a super effective hit (but surviving), T-Wave. Switch out, and suddenly you've got the upperhand, and can just come in later to Slack Off back to full. She just works so well, and makes such an awesome Regenerator tag team with Mienshao. Plus her movepool is so varied. Heals, status, Calm Mind, a surprisingly varied attacking moveset...did you know that Slowbro can learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast? Such a fun tank to use, and has quickly become the other permanent fixture of my team. If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a suck for water types.

8 - Jumpluff. I love trickster pokemon. Possibly the cutest pokemon ever, but deceptively effective. Encore, status moves, Leech Seed, and does it all with style and speed. Not the greatest pokemon ever, but just so fun to use.

9 - Gengar. The original ghost. Stlll powerful, but has a trickster aspect about it at the same time. What is it going to do? Set up a sub? Just go right for the throat with its power and movepool? Disable the one move you have that can actually hit it? Put you to sleep? Then when all's said and done, and you think Gengar's just done for, time to finish it off...nope, Destiny Bond. Just so much it can do.

10 - Yanmega. Bug types are awesome, and Yanmega has two of the coolest abilities in the game, and the power to put them to use. Tinted Lens Bug Buzz just cuts through so much, and catches people by surprise. Love this guy.

Honorable mentions: Omastar, Mismagius, Jolteon, Venusaur, Hypno, Cinccino and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Why I guess you could argue that they shouldn't be on this list if I can't remember them immediately, there's 649 to remember.

And Alakazam is more powerful statwise, si?

Question 2, total first world problem: I own, like most of you, multiple games and am enjoying trekking through all of them gaining different Pokemon in the hopes of eventually getting them all together ultimately on one black or white DS cart (and eventually, obvz onto a B/W2 cart).

Is there a good utility out there to function as a super personal-dex? Like, obviously I know there's no way to automatically combine Dexes from multiple games into one, but something like an iOS app or good checklist for me to manually use to remember which Pokemon I have and which I don't?

Yes, Alakazam has MUCH better stats than Kadabra.

As for apps, Dex on the App Store is really good as it has all 649 Pokémon in it, and the PokéDex 3D on the 3DS eShop is also neat.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Kami Trio having new Bird Formes is literally the funniest thing Gamefreak has ever done.

10/10.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Actually, come to think of it, the more I look at it, only Tornadus looks like a bird...Thundurus looks more like a dinosaur or something.

They're probably modelled after the animals of the Chinese Zodiac (northern tortoise, southern bird, eastern dragon and western tiger), which would explain the "dinosaur" foot.

Frost_Ace

Can't get Darkrai on Nintendo Wifi Event.. they say no Mistery gift available .. :(

You gotta have an english language game to receive it.

I don't know why but it looks like it's wearing a bra in that form.

yep, reminds me of an harpy:

220px-Harpy.PNG

Masaru and his fists say "fuck you" to Season 3.

As awesome and manly as Masaru and all of Season 5 were, they lacked the substance and emotions (aside from hot-blooded rage; Savers had that down pat) that made me love Tamers so much. I still love Season 5, though. It's definitely my second-favourite season.

Oh, and, um, how about them Pokémon? What do you guys think tomorrow's leaks will bring?

MikeMyers

Anybody try Fire Blast on Gyarados? He may have low Special Attack (60), but I think it could throw Ferrothorn off guard. Or is it just best to try with Earthquake?

NEO0MJ

Anybody try Fire Blast on Gyarados? He may have low Special Attack (60), but I think it could throw Ferrothorn off guard. Or is it just best to try with Earthquake?

Would be a waste, considering you'll have to invest a lot of EV in spacial attack to even begin making a dent with that move, as well as giving up adamant/jolly nature. Besides, FB has terrible accuracy.

backlot

Would be a waste, considering you'll have to invest a lot of EV in spacial attack to even begin making a dent with that move, as well as giving up adamant/jolly nature. Besides, FB has terrible accuracy.

Fire Blast's accuracy isn't that bad. There are plenty of other common moves with worse accuracy like Stone Edge and Focus Blast.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Entirely terrible for reasons mentioned above. In game, it might be okay to toss a couple special moves on Pokemon like Gyarados, but not for most competitive purposes. Gyarados enjoys having more bulk EVs applied, or even Speed for a more offensive Dragon Dance set. And given that it's so situational in use, you'd be better off accounting for something like Ferrothorn with teammates. Gyarados' own best bet against it is probably Taunt, forcing Ferro to use Gyro Ball and the more rare Power Whip (although it will hurt), instead of stalling you with Leech Seed and Curse. This way, you can actually use it as setup bait a bit.

Top Bottom