• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

His ability wouldn't be so much of a problem if he had a reliable way of actually sticking around for 5 turns. His only ways of recovery are Drain Punch and Rest.

In a Rotation Battle, does it only count every turn he actually moves, or just every turn he's on the field? We could find a niche for him yet...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Actually, Regigigas is so lame that it's one of the few Pokemon that DOESN'T learn rest... lol

Or Protect / Detect.

Regigigas is so awesome. I don't care if he's one of the worst legendaries, he's one of the best in my book.

MOEaG.png

But I still love Articuno.

So when they do introduce a Poison Legendary, what could it look like? Maybe it could resemble Hexxus(Fern Gully)...though I guess Muk probably already does look like him.

So when they do introduce a Poison Legendary, what could it look like? Maybe it could resemble Hexxus(Fern Gully)...though I guess Muk probably already does look like him.

Personally, I hope they make a Poison/Flying Legendary and make it look like a large bird/dragon made of smog and smoke. They could give it a really high Attack and Speed along with Poison Jab and Brave Bird, allowing it to choke out the competition.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
a hydra pokemon would be a good poison legendary. though hydreigon already is one

OMG Aero

If they make a poison legendary they should make it a frog.
And I'm talking one of those crazy rainbow frogs, not like Croagunk or Toxicroak.

Maybe it could look like a giant bog monster. But I guess if it looked like that, it'd have to be part grass.

Don't think Arceus counts since he has to have something equipped to be Poison type.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd like to see something Medusa-esque possibly. I do know that if they made a Poison legendary, it should definitely have a "Super Toxic" of some sort. Or even it's Ability(I almost wrote PokePower when writing this) to automatically poison the opponent when it comes out.

GaimeGuy

So I became da champ in Diamond.

Just for the hell of it I decided to take a trip to the top of Mt Coronet.

At the top, Dialga was waiting.

Legendaries don't respawn in D/P IIRC. You can lose to Dialga and come back though.

YOU WERE WRONG! :D

Just to irk the people who can't stand object themed pokemon we'll get a poison legend that was man made in a lab of the new villain team, it's a giant test tube filled with toxic gunk, liquid arms and legs smashing out of the tube and a pair of googly eyes floating in the gunk

Just to irk the people who can't stand object themed pokemon we'll get a poison legend that was man made in a lab of the new villain team, it's a giant test tube filled with toxic gunk, liquid arms and legs smashing out of the tube and a pair of googly eyes floating in the gunk

Turn the legs and arms into a thick cloud of poisonous gas floating around the bottom and that could look interesting.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well judging how I am unable to decide my number one favorite Pokemon, and the two fighting for a spot are Legendaries, it's either Rayquaza or Mewtwo.

Boogiepop

Legendary-wise this guy takes it for me hands down:

jirachi.jpg

I just really love his design, even way back when I didn't know the reasoning behind it. Such a fun little pokemon.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the newer interpretations of Mewtwo. That original Sugimori art and that RB sprite scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Then I caught him.

Best feeling ever.

It was a surreal experience for me as well.

Mewtwo
I've always like Mewtwo's humanoid like design with the white/purple clashing. It's personality from the movies is great, especially from the second one. (Which is also my favorite Pokemon Movie) What I also like about this Pokemon is all the moves I could use with it, and there hasn't been a single Pokemon game where I haven't had it in my party.(Unless I have to swap out for non-ubers)

Surprisingly enough, I always use a "Elemental Mewtwo" which I don't think is popular, although I don't tend to see other players with Mewtwo often so I don't really know. What I do know is when I got to the end of Pokemon Stadium for the first time, seeing Mewtwo use all those elemental moves was quite shocking. It was as if they took my Mewtwo and put it in the game, although the difference is that Mewtwo uses moves like Blizzard and Thunder, while mine uses the more accurate ones.

I also thought it was kind of cool that Mewtwo does hadouken/kamehameha when using these moves in the Stadium games. I still remember my first encounter with this Pokemon, which happened before the movie came out. I was exploring the Unknown Dungeon and when I ran into, I think I heard slight rumors of the Pokemon before, but was still surprised by it. Needless to say, I caught it. It's been a favorite since.

You're just exploring this dungeon, and out of nowhere you see this Pokemon that is unlike all the others. You know it's special and have to get it. I was excited as well when I caught it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I also like how the movie, anime, and Special all made him into this extremely lonely Pokemon that's looking for a friend, as opposed to simply AWESOME MURDER ALIEN POKEMON. He's kind of...cute, in a weird way, because of that.

Legendary-wise this guy takes it for me hands down:
jirachi.jpg

I just really love his design, even way back when I didn't know the reasoning behind it. Such a fun little pokemon.

It's kind of sad about the real-life story behind the Pokemon...it's Japanese Voice Actor actually died during the week of the festival Jirachi is based on.

I have a feeling this may be why, apart from "canon reasons" (which never stopped other Legendary Pokemon), Jirachi has never made another appearance in the show outside of the OPs whereas Deoxys has already had two episodes dedicated to him since his movie premiere.

GaimeGuy

Dialga
Quiet Nature
IVs:
(24-25)/(18-19)/(24-25)/30/(22-23)/(23-26)

To keep, or not to keep...

Edit:
Oh shit.

31/29-30/26-28/28-29/28-29/18-19

That's 160/186 at worst. Excluding speed, 142/155 in all the other stats at worst.

GaimeGuy

If that's a good nature, easy keep. Unless you're an absolute perfectionist
like me

It's a quiet nature. + Special Attack, - Speed. It's pretty much Dialga's best nature. While he won't attack first very often, he wasn't going to do that anyways since his base speed is only 90.

It allows you to go with a bulky support/defensive role (base stats of 100 HP, 120 Def, 100 special defense, and steel/dragon typing allow that with any neutral defensive nature) while still having the power to take out offensive threats thanks to its insane special attack stat. Or to play the role of of a pure mixed attacker which, again, has bulk. (Base offense stats for dialga: 120 attack, 150 special attack.)

Again, the IVs, disregarding speed.
HP: 31
Attack: 29-30
Defense: 26-28
Special Attack: 28-29
Special Defense: 28-29

Base stats for Dialga are:
HP: 100
Attack: 120
Defense: 120
Special Attack: 150
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 90

Type: Steel/Dragon.
Nature is +Sp Att, - Spe

Theorymon

It's a quiet nature. + Special Attack, - Speed. It's pretty much Dialga's best nature. While he won't attack first very often, he wasn't going to do that anyways since his base speed is only 90.

It allows you to go with a bulky support/defensive role (base stats of 100 HP, 120 Def, 100 special defense, and steel/dragon typing allow that with any neutral defensive nature) while still having the power to take out offensive threats thanks to its insane special attack stat. Or to play the role of of a pure mixed attacker which, again, has bulk. (Base offense stats for dialga: 120 attack, 150 special attack.)

Again, the IVs, disregarding speed.
HP: 31
Attack: 29-30
Defense: 26-28
Special Attack: 28-29
Special Defense: 28-29

Base stats for Dialga are:
HP: 100
Attack: 120
Defense: 120
Special Attack: 150
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 90

Type: Steel/Dragon.
Nature is +Sp Att, - Spe

Those IVs are pretty decent for either a support set or a bulkier varient of the mixed attacker, but just a warning: the loss in Speed is going to HURT when it comes to speed ties vs stuff like Impish Groudon. As someone who plays a lot of Ubers, there is one CRAZY solution... using this Dialga on an Ubers Trick Room team. Dialga is pretty much the STAR of Ubers Trickroom. Dialga is reallly powerful, but it has a problem with getting revenge killed... which Trick Room solves pretty nicely! Now unfortunately, your Speed IV means that you won't under speed some stuff like Skarmory and Metagross... thankfully, Metagross is fairly uncommon in Ubers atm (despite it being pretty decent), and Skarmory is a poor answer to any Dialga that isn't setting up Bulk Up. The set is Trick Room / Draco Meteor / Outrage / Fire Blast with a Life Orb. The evs are trickier. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA is the best when it comes to sweeping power, because after you get rid of the Steels, Draco Meteor + Outrage is gonna hurt like HELL! However, if you are okay with sacraficing sweeping power, you can use 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA to ease the set up.

As for what to use with Trick Room Dialga, usually the other big Trick Roomer is Palkia. Base 100 Speed may seem way too fast for Trick Room, but when Palkia is Quiet and has a low Speed IV, it'll still underspeed most Uber threats, while giving you that all important switch into Kyogre's Choice Specs Water Spout. You also got a lot of slow base 90s that work well on Trick Room like Groudon, Kyogre, and Zekrom. Finally, theres some odder stuff that works well on Ubers Trick Room, like Solosis (the set being level 1 Focus Sash Endeavor / Trick Room / Toxic / Protect. It MAY seem like stupid gimmick, but this thing can save you from sweeps once the ghosts are dead, and Magic Guard means Stealth Rock and Sand wont get rid of your Focus Sash) and Choice Band Ferrothorn (base 94 Atk may not seem like much, but with Gyro Ball hitting a lot of Ubers at the full 150 base power and Power Whip, you can actually 2HKO a lot of Ubers!).

Of course, as much as I like Trick Room in Ubers, your Dialga is still fine for the usual support or bulky mixed sets AS LONG as you have something for scary base 90s like Groudon and Choice Specs Kyogre!

Wichu

Those IVs are pretty decent for either a support set or a bulkier varient of the mixed attacker, but just a warning: the loss in Speed is going to HURT when it comes to speed ties vs stuff like Impish Groudon.

It's not going to be speed tying Groudon any time soon with a Quiet nature. Trick Room is definitely the way to go here.

So, do you guys think we're going to get any new info in tomorrow's episode of Pokémon Smash, or will it just be a retread of what we learned from Coro Coro?

Personally, I'm quite eager to know more about the
World Tournament
and the fourth Pokémon that's supposed to be connected to the movie.

We are supposed to get M15 info this week, right?

Top Bottom