• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
After Jupiter wiped out my entire team in my Platinum Nuzlocke run, I've finally raised my left-over Pokemon to tip-top shape.

Time to fuck that Skuntank over with Torterra and Probopass. >:)

After Jupiter wiped out my entire team in my Platinum Nuzlocke run, I've finally raised my left-over Pokemon to tip-top shape.

Time to fuck that Skuntank over with Torterra and Probopass. >:)

Heck yeah, Probopass!

I used one on my Nuzlocke of Platinum, and it's actually a fantastic special wall. Just give it Toxic or something and watch as the AI's blows bounce off of it like so many rubber balls. Plus, if you can make it all the way to Aaron, Probs will smash his face in with Stealth Rock and Power Gem. Just be sure to avoid all Fighting- and Ground-types, or keep Magnet Rise handy!

Watch Da Birdie

Heh, didn't even need them.

Pachirisu took out Zubat, Charmed Skuntank to get rid of the obnoxious Shadow Claw threat (fuck that move), and Geodude finished it off with Magnitude 9.

I avenged all my dead Pokemon. :(

OMG Aero

Remember guys; this episode is horrible.

Don't watch under any circumstances.

B-but the episode picture on Serebii has Joltik in it, and they are the most adorable Pokemon.
hzcIi.png

How could I not watch it?

B-but the episode picture on Serebii has Joltik in it, and they are the most adorable Pokemon.
http://i.imgur.com/hzcIi.png[IMG]
How could I not watch it?[/QUOTE]

You know what other episode has Joltik in it? Oshawott's Lost Scalshop. Go watch that one instead to save yourself from the emotional heartbreak caused by this episode.

Delio

Is someone badmouthing Galvantula? The KING of furry bug cuteness?.

BTW I started a nuzlocke in Platinum then just stopped. It's sooooo slow omg.

Is someone badmouthing Galvantula? The KING of furry bug cuteness?.

BTW I started a nuzlocke in Platinum then just stopped. It's sooooo slow omg.

No; both Galvantula and Joltik are great. It's the third Bug-type Pokémon that appears in this episode that's emotionally distressing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the insect badge and am on my way through route 4! I'm absolutely adoring this game. It's the best Pokemon yet. It's a shame that the actual pokemon aren't as interesting as they used to be. I'd love to play a game that features a mix of the best of the best pokemon.

I'm really loving the story and characters. Burgh is soo cool. He's a big city artist that has a studio filled with literal clowns (such a statement!). AND he keeps a little pad in nacrene city for when the city life gets too hectic and he just needs a change of pace. I totally want to hang out with that dude!

Castelia city was amazing. The crowds and the fun camera angles. It added so much to the world. I can't wait to see what a true next Pokemon would look like. The game just brims with enthusiasm and optimism. It's weird there's no poverty anywhere. I don't know why that seems so weird to me, but it really leapt out at me. It's a true upper class wonderland.

As usual, we got old, stale news today.

I'm guessing that next week, they might mention the (TOTALLY AWESOME) trailer (since it came on the 15th, it may have been to late to say anything about it this time), but not much more new.

Man, that footage of Dream Radar from Smash looks like something out of Ghostbusters...

I like it.
Did someone say Ghostbusters?

---

Hmm, just a month away...I wonder if there are any surprises waiting for us around the release of the game? Like spinoff stuff.

Although, I guess Dex 3D Pro and Dream Radar would be counted as the spinoff stuff we'll be getting this time. I was hoping for maybe some Mystery Dungeon stuff, or some Ranger stuff. But alas, it's a long way to fall, a longer way to next year...and the longest way to mainline 3D.

Dariee

So, in Pokémon White, which starter to take if I don't want the Fire-type? Grass or Water?

Related question: will you come across a good Grass- or Water-type later on in the game? Cause if you do, I might depend my choice on that.

Aggrotek

So, in Pokémon White, which starter to take if I don't want the Fire-type? Grass or Water?

Related question: will you come across a good Grass- or Water-type later on in the game? Cause if you do, I might depend my choice on that.

A good water type is hard to come by early on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I do plan to get both versions, but my main game will be decided on the better exclusives.

Once all the info comes out next month (with the games) I shall begin the deciding process.

I'm getting Black 2, simply because it would feel weird to have Black version and then White 2 version.

Now the only choice is between Snivy and Tepig for my starter, since I picked Oshawott in Black (but ended up using all three anyway).

Serious

I'd go with Water, personally, mostly due to Snivy being pretty bad. There's usable water and grass types, either way. I've used Simipour in a runthrough (note that you get a free water monkey if you choose Snivy), and it was pretty decent, even if it did lose steam later on. Huge powerhouse early on though if you pick up the Water Stone in Castelia and evolve at 22. There's also the water fossil and the Tympole line, never used either. For Grass, there's Leavanny which I've used (pretty decent, Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Return isn't too shabby a movepool), Deerling which could probably be decent, and Lilligant which I've heard is surprisingly good despite the shallow movepool. Sleep Powder is always nice, and Quiver Dance is amazing. Evolve between 26 and 28 for Giga Drain + QD.

Of course, none of those can compare to the best Fire starter alternative, but there's usable pokemon for both types.

Watch Da Birdie

ScraftyDevil means Crustle.

I hate that guy because Cilan pretty much uses him 24/7 now. Stunfisk needs more love. :(

ScraftyDevil means Crustle.

I hate that guy because Cilan pretty much uses him 24/7 now. Stunfisk needs more love. :(

Good job for figuiring out the riddle. A cookie wand for you, sir.

I (and I assume Exterminieren) don't hate Crustle because he's overused, but simply because he's not Dwebble.

Not in cruelty
Not in wrath
The Crustle came today;
An evolution occured on
this gray path,
And took Dwebble away.

Delio

ugh im conflicted. I have Black as my main but I want ReshiKyurem. Choices!

Also im going for Tepig again. Hopefully going to switch up my team with old pokes as much as I can.

MikeMyers

So if Infernape Goku, then is Blaziken Ken from SF?

Blaziken has Ken in his name, Blaziken is mostly Red where as Ken wears Red, and their signature moves (Sky Uppercut / Shoryuken) are both uppercuts.

Sagitario

ugh im conflicted. I have Black as my main but I want ReshiKyurem. Choices!

Also im going for Tepig again. Hopefully going to switch up my team with old pokes as much as I can.

I am also choosing Tepig again. High-five!

And Kyureshiram sounds better ¬¬

Watch Da Birdie

Blaziken has Ken in his name, Blaziken is mostly Red where as Ken wears Red, and their signature moves (Sky Uppercut / Shoryuken) are both uppercuts.

Blaziken's Signature Move is Blaze Kick as well.

But yeah, Blaziken is probably inspired a bit by Street Fighter...if you notice the feathers on its chest form a gi of sorts.

Street Fighter team!

Blaziken: Ken
Lucario: Ryu (Aura Sphere is called "Hadoden" in Japanese. Coincidence? I think NOT!)
Hitmonchan: Balrog (boxer with red gloves and shorts/tunic combination)
Throh: Zangief (mostly throwing and grappling moves, also has crazy eyebrows and is associated with the colour red)
Alakazam: M. Bison (characters who use psychokinetic energy and were incredibly overpowered in the first game that they appeared in)
Ditto: Twelve (main form of attack is copying the moves of others)

Dariee

I'd go with Water, personally, mostly due to Snivy being pretty bad. There's usable water and grass types, either way. I've used Simipour in a runthrough (note that you get a free water monkey if you choose Snivy), and it was pretty decent, even if it did lose steam later on. Huge powerhouse early on though if you pick up the Water Stone in Castelia and evolve at 22. There's also the water fossil and the Tympole line, never used either. For Grass, there's Leavanny which I've used (pretty decent, Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Return isn't too shabby a movepool), Deerling which could probably be decent, and Lilligant which I've heard is surprisingly good despite the shallow movepool. Sleep Powder is always nice, and Quiver Dance is amazing. Evolve between 26 and 28 for Giga Drain + QD.

Of course, none of those can compare to the best Fire starter alternative, but there's usable pokemon for both types.
Cool, thanks for the extensive feedback! You as well, Aggrotek.

The Water-starter it will be then!

The main thing is to never pick Tepig. Darumaka and Darmanitan run rings round them, for in game use if nothing else.

I've always found the Tympole line reasonably handy, and, with a lack of Grass-focusing ingame Trainers, the Ground typing doesn't hurt as much as it might. I've always gone for Oshawott, though, because Tepig's quickly outclassed and the Snivy line's disappointingly mediocre.

Heropon

In my first White playthrough I chose Tepig and the time it was going to level up to 16 I fought an Audino and it went directly to 17 so it didn't learn Arm Thrust. Thanks to exchanging monkeys I got the other starters and I used them, Darumaka/Darmanitan and Scraggy/Scrafty instead.

No regrets.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The main thing is to never pick Tepig. Darumaka and Darmanitan run rings round them, for in game use if nothing else.

I've always found the Tympole line reasonably handy, and, with a lack of Grass-focusing ingame Trainers, the Ground typing doesn't hurt as much as it might. I've always gone for Oshawott, though, because Tepig's quickly outclassed and the Snivy line's disappointingly mediocre.

Really, all the starters are massively outclassed by common Pokemon you'll come across in-game. Especially Tepig and Snivy. But it's not like Emboar is a bad Pokemon, if you want to not be like 99% of people and pick up OP Darmanitan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Think I'm going to go with Oshawott again, served me well in White and I'm sure he'll do fine in White 2.

upandaway

I've already played once with all 3 starters the full single player, so I'm gonna go with 6 new Pokemon this time.

Everyone gonna get their fair share. I won't give special attention to starters just cause they're starters!

Thores

I was a Tepig user in White, I think I'm gonna use Oshawott this time. I kinda hated him initially but his line has really grown on me. I think my first playthrough of White 2 might be a Nuzlocke run as well, just for the hell of it. There's something intriguing about going into a mostly-new game blind with that ruleset.

Top Bottom