• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct announced for February 26th, is 5 minutes long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

ORAS was good in my book. No matter what gets revealed I'm expecting complaints, but that's obvious.

Also, I wasn't comparing the Delta Episode to Emerald, I was saying that the Delta Episode was something that would fit more into a Emerald remake. It had nothing to do with Ruby and Sapphire, and considering their comment on how it needed to be close to the original, that seemed just plain odd to me.

Which is why it was called Delta.

My theory - Z will be a brand new story and take place in a new part of the Kalos region. It will have Zygarde's new formes AND a handful of NEW POKEMON that didn't make the cut in X & Y.

#Believe

It probably makes more sense to hold onto any designs good enough to make it into a new generation.

3pE8ZJ6.png

Happy anniversary Pokemon!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I wonder if we'll get Unova and Kalos mega this time (besides Audino and Diancie).

Im guessing we'll see Kalos megas for the starters, Fossils, Florges, Goodra, some low key mons like Pyroar, Helioisk, and Pangoro and hopefully Noivern, and Xerneas and Yveltal to relate to Zygardes new forms.
I reckon Hydreigon and Haxorus are locks for Unova megas, maybe some popular mons like Darmanitan and Zoroark and Chandelure, and low key ones that need it such as Musharna, Zebstrika, Galvantula and Meinshao. I reckon they'll save the Gen v starter megas and legendaries for the Unvoa remakes in a fair few years.

Got all my fingers crossed for Mega Noivern.

The Giant

Banned
This is most likely gonna happen in the direct.

2 min intro talking about pokemon 20th anniversary.

1 min trailer of Pokemon Z

2 mins of talk with some info with more info at E3.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
We obviously need a Mega Mew.

The only bad thing is that I can't see Gamefreak topping these fan designed megas for the starters.
Every one looks awesome, but perhaps they'll go down the Ash-Greninja route anyway, and make the starters mega resemble your player character, which would be really cool and unique. Ive been thinking they may do something different altogether though and give the three a unique mega evolution trait. Greninja takes on the players appearance, Delphox has a different mega appearance based on its gender, as many seemed angry at its current look coming off of the obviously magic girl inspired Braixen, so something more along Braixens route for the female mega and the image above for the male mega. Not too sure on Chesnaught, but perhaps one based on Attack and one based on defense to covey it's knight inspired design.

Just thoughts, and I doubt it'll happen, but the Ash-Greninja thing really through me through a loop. Perhaps they'll all just have standard megas, but Greninja gets its little something extra due to being the second coming of Charizard.

Forkball

Ok, can you name standard features that were "removed"?

Don't list regional features.

Tons of stuff has been added, removed, readded, readjusted etc. over the years. Here are just a few things that were missing in some installment.

Day/Night cycle
Days of the week
Pokemon following you
Trainer customization
Battle Frontier
World Tournament
Pokeathalon
Underground
Contests
Secret bases
Gym leader/E4 rematches (as in the E4 has a new team)
Challenge Mode
Seasons
Diving
Safari Zone (Friend Safari is a revamped version and technically better... but I like the traditional style too)
Vs Seeker and a bunch of other Pokegear functions
Move tutors (random goobers teaching you Grass Pledge don't count)

There's no reason why these have to be "region specific." Obviously, as with every gaming franchise, features are added and removed all the time, but to say that their hands are tied because a certain feature is region specific is a bit silly.

Developer 1: Hey! Secret bases were cool! Let's add them in Kalos!
Developer 2: Can't, it can only be done in Hoenn.
Developer 1: Why?
Developer 2: I'm on lunch break, don't bother me.

They don't add it in because they don't have enough time or want to focus on other features first. Honestly I don't care about Pokemon following you or diving etc., but the omission of some very blatant desired features can only be met with bewilderment.

As for the direct, I do think we might get a longer Pokken Direct before its release.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
I'm not saying that there were no elements of merchandising for it, but I'm arguing that their existence isn't focused on it.

Don't you think it's a two way street? For instance, it was probably easier for creative directors or people in managerial roles to approve of Mega Evolutions for more popular Pokemon. That doesn't mean the artists didn't come up with the ideas or designs. I'm sure many more Mega Evolutions got cut in the creative process, or had multiple designs with people debating which one was better. How else can you explain Mewtwo and Charizard getting two Mega Evolutions each? It's not hard for me to imagine someone saying "Mewtwo is very popular, so why don't we use both the designs we like? One for each version." Then someone has an idea to make their stats different and it seems like an even better idea, but still very marketable.

Pokemon isn't like Smash Bros, as no one person has control over development to the degree that Sakurai does over his projects. In fact, the three companies that own Pokemon (Nintendo, GF, and Creatures Inc.) made a fourth company (TPC) just to ensure that none of them could make decisions without the others approving. I can only imagine the nightmare that is getting new ideas approved for a Pokemon game. It's no wonder that Game Freak is so eager to experiment with Harmoknight or Tembo the Badass Elephant (which came out on PS4, no less.)

Finally, it's not "cynical" and TPC isn't afraid of changing things, hence why Mega Evolution exists.

I have to disagree. TPC seems very afraid of changing anything. Otherwise Gen 6 wouldn't feel like 2D game stuck in a 3D game's body. If I told you 10 years ago (or any substantial amount of time before X/Y) that Ruby and Sapphire would be remade in a 3D world with cell-shaded visuals, are OR/AS the games you'd imagine? If so, that makes me sad. Not because I think they're bad games, but because there's so much potential for Pokemon to be better and a lot of it has to due with fear of change. It's a timeless concept that shouldn't be hamstrung by dated RPG conventions. In a time where games like Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles X are being released on Nintendo's own hardware, many aspects of Pokemon feel wildly outdated.

Mega Evolutions are a cool idea and I actually had a ton of fun using them in X/Y. But after the 200th time I had to sit through Mega Charizard's transformation, it reminded me of how much I used to wish Digimon didn't have to Digivolve every single battle when I was younger. I used to think, "Pokemon doesn't waste time like that." Now it does. In fact, Pokemon's stubborn attitude towards modernization in general ends up making me feel like I'm wasting a lot of time. If the game didn't make me feel like it was needlessly wasting my time so much, I probably wouldn't care about the 5 seconds I lose every time my Pokemon goes Super Saiyan.

The Eviolite item means that there would be horrific balance issues if many of the Pokémon that got Mega Evolutions were given new evolutions instead. You have to look at it from all angles. Contrary to belief, they care about balance.

I'm sure they care about balance, but maybe not as much as some people would like. While I do enjoy Mega Evolutions on a surface level, there are many frustrating consequences they had on the meta-game. Firstly, they severely lessened the variety of Pokemon I see when battling other players. When teams must be built around one or two of the Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, it doesn't matter if players have hundreds of monsters to choose from. Also, the whole "let's not compete with legendary Pokemon" concept (that Nintendo supports in tournaments and certain online battle rules) is undermined when you can essentially turn a few dozen regular Pokemon's stats into that of a legendary Pokemon.

Mega Evolutions are fun, but the way they're implemented could use some rethinking. For instance, maybe just consider a Mega Evolved Pokemon to be as OP as legendaries for the sake of competitive rules...

I was thinking about the future of Nintendo, and a crazy idea strikes me. The following is based on Trev's leaks.

Let's begin. From Trev's leaks, we can know two things. The first thing is 3DS is going to have a new Pokemon game at the end of this year. Second thing is NX is going to launch around the end of this year.

When I was thinking about these, an idea strikes me. What if the new Pokemon game will not only launch on 3DS, but rather it will also launch on NX? The time frame fits this theory and it is totally not impossible. Looking at Dragon Quest XI, we are going to have 3DS, PS4 and potentially NX version, while 3DS and PS4 version are different yet similar. What if this model can also be applied to 3DS/NX Pokemon? Or even, what if it actually launches with NX? Pokemon's 20th anniversary is special to both Nintendo and TPC, and I believe it is totally reasonable, and valuable, for Nintendo to grab this opportunity to help NX sell with a launch title as important as Pokemon.

What do you think?

Edit: BTW, I do recommend contain the hype. Although it is quite difficult to do so...

Mediking

How many times do I gotta say this? If the next Pokemon mainline game doesn't have Battle Frontier OR a true successor to Battle Frontier then we gotta riot and yell at Gamefreak.

wiibomb

How many times do I gotta say this? If the next Pokemon mainline game doesn't have Battle Frontier OR a true successor to Battle Frontier then we gotta riot and yell at Gamefreak.

yes... I'm in with this..

I was so furious when I realized ORAS not only didn't include anything about it, but also mocked us with that sign of "constructing here the battle frontier"

I'd say that I have faith that it will appear, but then again I was super certain that BF would appear in ORAS in the first place so I'll hold my tongue on that.

If it makes you feel better even the JP fanbase was really put off by that. There was a Nico stream where people kept asking what happened and GF had to ignore the question since the game just came out.

Mediking

yes... I'm in with this..

I was so furious when I realized ORAS not only didn't include anything about it, but also mocked us with that sign of "constructing here the battle frontier"

I'm a bazillion percent sure Gamefreak knows what the truly invested Pokemon fans want. Keeping Battle Frontier away and anything Pokemon Platinum did away is just insulting.

Mediking

I'd say that I have faith that it will appear, but then again I was super certain that BF would appear in ORAS in the first place so I'll hold my tongue on that.

If it makes you feel better even the JP fanbase was really put off by that. There was a Nico stream where people kept asking what happened and GF had to ignore the question since the game just came out.

WOW.. Even the Japanese fanbase was asking Gamefreak where the heck Battle Frontier was? Hahah wow. This is getting ridiculous. Instead, they rather go crazy with Megaevoultions! And Megaevoultions DO have alotta potential to be awesome but Gamefreak can't rely on them so heavily. I would love to see customization options in how your avatar activates their Megaevoultion animation.

If this actually is a new generation... Man, I wish they'd have waited. Unless they've done significant work on the engine, the 3DS simply can't handle what they're going for.

Still, a new generation out of nowhere would be quite the thing.

Mediking

If this actually is a new generation... Man, I wish they'd have waited. Unless they've done significant work on the engine, the 3DS simply can't handle what they're going for.

Still, a new generation out of nowhere would be quite the thing.

I'm actually pretty upset the OP for that thread probably just spoiled what's gonna be announced tomorrow. That's really not cool

And yeah... making new gen on 3DS is not a good idea.... should've just gave us the Kalos version of Pokemon Platinum.

Kyzer

Banned
I was thinking about the future of Nintendo, and a crazy idea strikes me. The following is based on Trev's leaks.

Let's begin. From Trev's leaks, we can know two things. The first thing is 3DS is going to have a new Pokemon game at the end of this year. Second thing is NX is going to launch around the end of this year.

When I was thinking about these, an idea strikes me. What if the new Pokemon game will not only launch on 3DS, but rather it will also launch on NX? The time frame fits this theory and it is totally not impossible. Looking at Dragon Quest XI, we are going to have 3DS, PS4 and potentially NX version, while 3DS and PS4 version are different yet similar. What if this model can also be applied to 3DS/NX Pokemon? Or even, what if it actually launches with NX? Pokemon's 20th anniversary is special to both Nintendo and TPC, and I believe it is totally reasonable, and valuable, for Nintendo to grab this opportunity to help NX sell with a launch title as important as Pokemon.

What do you think?

Edit: BTW, I do recommend contain the hype. Although it is quite difficult to do so...

Yep, some of us have been speculating the possibility as well. But if they do, they will probably announce it before the Pokemon game comes out.

And lol GF MUST be the #1 game developer in the world to be constantly being told by fans what they are doing wrong and what they should do instead.

We literally don't have anything but name and logo and some of you are already saying they made a mistake. lol

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
My issue with ORAS is that the game is sooooo freaking easy. I mean i know pokemon has always been an easy series but for the entire playthrough i never had a pokemon faint, thats never happened. I know XY were easy too but i had a few faint here and there and at least that has the luxary of being a brand new game with new pkmn and everything to keep me interested

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep, some of us have been speculating the possibility as well. But if they do, they will probably announce it before the Pokemon game comes out.

And lol GF MUST be the #1 game developer in the world to be constantly being told by fans what they are doing wrong and what they should do instead.

We literally don't have anything but name and logo and some of you are already saying they made a mistake. lol

That's one of the theories I've most sustained for a while. It's also true that Trev's leak did contain NX with a reference for Zelda Wii U on NX, but not for Pokemon Riji/Moon/Sun/whatever on NX. It's also true that Trev said that the marketing report the source saw shouldn't have had any NX info at all, and that, of course, it's incomplete, so maybe there's a chance anyway.

Still, I doubt they'll say anything about NX tomorrow at all, even if it exists.

EDIT: A possible explanation would be that one version is 3DS and one is NX. Like the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. That would explain how Pokemon could feature in the 3DS list without any mention of the NX version despite Zelda Wii U being specifically mentioned. But i'd say the chances of this happening are low, realistically speaking,

Kyzer

Banned
That's one of the theories I've most sustained for a while. It's also true that Trev's leak did contain NX with a reference for Zelda Wii U on NX, but not for Pokemon Riji/Moon/Sun/whatever on NX. It's also true that Trev said that the marketing report the source saw shouldn't have had any NX info at all, and that, of course, it's incomplete, so maybe there's a chance anyway.

Still, I doubt they'll say anything about NX tomorrow at all, even if it exists.

Yeah, although they could pull a DQ and just simply announce they will be on NX too without saying anything else about it.

In 24 hours our Lord and Saviour Arceus will bestow upon us the knowledge of our next destinies. We will embark on a new adventure and learn the secrets of the Sun and Moon.
Let us join hands and pray on the 17 plates of our God to bring in a new age!

I totally bet it's Gen 6.5.

Chorazin

I'm hoping a three minute trailer for Moon and Sun, and a two minute trailer for Detective Pikachu with a tag line saying "Available for download today."

Dreams!

Chorazin

Detective Pikachu is already out in Japan and the Direct is 5 minutes there.

Wouldn't be the first time directs had the same time but different content. Don't crush my dreams! Every time I go to the Japanese eShop it taunts me. I don't know enough Japanese to play it. 😥

Mael

I don't get why people are so down on Megavolution, they're one of the only way to introduce new pokemons midgen without it being a mythical only select people get in Japan.
Say what you want about Mega Oniglali or Mega starters at least I don't have to look at bulbapedia or get an Action Replay to even be aware of their existence.

I love the complaint that the game is too easy, like when was Pokemon ever supposed to be hard to begin with? Might as well ask for an easy mode in Dark Souls III.

If you have any reason to shit on X/Y proper, the lack of legendaries to catch is there.
There's something like 3 to get and that's it, even R/B/Y got more than that!

1. The problem isn't Mega evolutions, it's that we haven't seen a proper evolution to a past Pokemon since they were introduced.

2. As older players of the series grow, so too do their interests. Pokemon was neat back then, but now it's simply too easy. Having a hard mode would fix that (I rightly cannot believe that the only hard mode exists if you own Black 2 and White 2, BUT you can only play hard mode in White 2, and only after you've beaten the game!!).

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I think that if they want to keep it that easy, would be nice to have a hard mode as an option.

Another thing I'd like to see introduced is a non-random battle system, where you could always see where pokemons are and avoid them. In ORAS they did a good addition to it, but I'd like it a bit less random.

Mael

1. The problem isn't Mega evolutions, it's that we haven't seen a proper evolution to a past Pokemon since they were introduced.

I think that's probably due to how huge their work was between small spritework to surprisingly high poly pokemons.
I think this is the reason we have less pokemons this time around.
However they couldn't really add pokemons in ORAS that weren't in the dex of X/Y just like that. The megas allows them to without much trouble.

2. As older players of the series grow, so too do their interests. Pokemon was neat back then, but now it's simply too easy. Having a hard mode would fix that (I rightly cannot believe that the only hard mode exists if you own Black 2 and White 2, BUT you can only play hard mode in White 2, and only after you've beaten the game!!).

Meh, the game isn't targeting old players but an ever revolving demographic of primarily children, that's why the anime is still in syndication and pushed so hard.
The older demographic (that don't necessarily want hard mode btw) can still battle online if they really want that challenge (and they really didn't try to impede that in any way, seriously it even has voice chat).
That the games weren't any hard to begin with and didn't become hard and are still not hard while retaining its humongous popularity would point to that not being a major point of contention to them.

Kssio_Aug

I think that's probably due to how huge their work was between small spritework to surprisingly high poly pokemons.
I think this is the reason we have less pokemons this time around.
However they couldn't really add pokemons in ORAS that weren't in the dex of X/Y just like that. The megas allows them to without much trouble.

Meh, the game isn't targeting old players but an ever revolving demographic of primarily children, that's why the anime is still in syndication and pushed so hard.
The older demographic (that don't necessarily want hard mode btw) can still battle online if they really want that challenge (and they really didn't try to impede that in any way, seriously it even has voice chat).
That the games weren't any hard to begin with and didn't become hard and are still not hard while retaining its humongous popularity would point to that not being a major point of contention to them.

I don't know... I keep reading people saying the old Pokemon games were as easy as XY or ORAS, but I'm pretty sure the older games were quite more challenging.

Maybe that's because of Exp Share (which is indeed optional), but, since exp share was a great addition to avoid farming exp, maybe adding a bit more of a challenge or adding an optional hard mode could counter it without making you choose between "too easy" or "too much grinding". I particularly do not care to the multiplayer battles at all, but would happily welcome a harder difficult or something in that sense for the single player experience.

Sylveon says hi. And given gamefreak's obsession with continuity, I blame the eviolite more than megas for the lack

Yeah, then we'd have threads about how Game Freak are "incompetent" and unable to do "simple things"

i get where you're coming from, but no, we wouldn't. what i described is like, a perfectly reasonable middle ground.

Also the Pokémon are not to scale too, only the console version of them are like true to their "real"size. Don't think any one really mind a cibi pokemon walking behind you.
i hate chibi so i'd mind

Pachimari

I thought I had decided on getting ORAS but I think I'm gonna wait till tomorrow's announcement and see if Moon and Sun is a continuation of XY.

Gonna get one of the two tomorrow though.

Well it's obvious that whatever it is that is going to be shown off will be exciting. I am ready for something new again, ORAS is getting long in the tooth IMHO.

...so?

how is that a problem?

1. The problem isn't that Black and White is composed entirely of all new Pokemon, it's that we haven't seen a proper evolution to a past Pokemon since they were introduced.

^^^ easy way to make that line of thought look exactly as irrelevant as it is

Mael

I don't know... I keep reading people saying the old Pokemon games were as easy as XY or ORAS, but I'm pretty sure the older games were quite more challenging.

They weren't harder, they were more obtuse.
In R/B, there was nothing hard except maybe the Elite4 trek at the very end.
It's not anything that much harder I got in X/Y for the end part though.
the typing and raising of mons is easier and you have an exponentially higher choice of options in X/Y, that may render the game slightly easier to wrap your hear around.

Maybe that's because of Exp Share (which is indeed optional), but, since exp share was a great addition to avoid farming exp, maybe adding a bit more of a challenge or adding an optional hard mode could counter it without making you choose between "too easy" or "too much grinding". I particularly do not care to the multiplayer battles at all, but would happily welcome a harder difficult or something in that sense for the single player experience.

Without Xpshare, the game would have been even more tedious.
X/Y offers a wealth of options to go through that is certainly a sight to behold.
Seriously I had more than 100 viable pokemons to choose from in my boxes by the time I reached the 5th gym.
I could use the starting team but that makes the game boring considering the options.
The problem with X/Y is the postgame that is pretty much just the battle maison.
I'm not done with that yet so I can't say anything about it.
The battle chateau is a cool thing and what you can do in Illumis post game is really good.
But the legendaries were too few and too easy to catch.
I mean MewTwo was the only challenge, Zygarde50% was a pushover and I caught Artikodin by accident :/
And with that I'm done with Legendaries in X/Y!
Luckily ORAS (yes both, my SO have been struck by the pokeflu) are in the mail coming next week.
Thank god Amazon can import games!

I thought I had decided on getting ORAS but I think I'm gonna wait till tomorrow's announcement and see if Moon and Sun is a continuation of XY.

Gonna get one of the two tomorrow though.

If catching legendaries is your thing, you'll be better served with ORAS really. X/Y still has plenty to offer, just not legendaries :/

Kinsei

Banned
I don't get why people are so down on Megavolution, they're one of the only way to introduce new pokemons midgen without it being a mythical only select people get in Japan.
Say what you want about Mega Oniglali or Mega starters at least I don't have to look at bulbapedia or get an Action Replay to even be aware of their existence.!

I don't want new Pokemon midgen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom