• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct announced for February 26th, is 5 minutes long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon handles a nearly-steady 60fps with no problems I don't think it's an issue intrinsic to the hardware. The engine's just kinda shit.

There's really not any reason why battles should ever be dipping below 30fps except maybe 3v3. And even then...

Though there is a world of a difference between seeing how regular battles unfold and seeing the 3DS struggle to render and animate 5 models during horde battles. Which makes me think it's the hardware that's the problem (especially in conjunction with having extremely high quality models).

I understand. They wanted to go 3D and they didn't want the Pokemon to look like blocky deformations of their usual hand-drawn portable game sprites.
It's been a while since I played XY but I don't remember the framerate being a huge issue especially since Pokemon is by no means an action game.

It doesn't need to be blocky, but it doesn't HAVE to be so high quality either. If the hardware is stable enough, then by all means, go crazy. But when the 3DS isn't that powerful, it doesn't make sense to put in high quality polygon counts.

And the frame rate doesn't have to be correlated to the type of game it is. The problem is that it's an annoyance. Instead of stuff like horde battles going along smoothly, time is waste seeing slower animations (this is especially true if you try to EV train off hordes) because of the hardware struggling with 5 models at once.

-Horizon-

I feel like they went with such detailed models so that they wouldn't have to change it for the next couple of gens. Do the hard work now rather than later. And since they're already done, might as well use them. Its not like pokemon games depend on precise frame rates. It might be annoying to some players but its not an important bullet point people buy these games for that they would highlight '60fps!' in a future game.

I feel like they went with such detailed models so that they wouldn't have to change it for the next couple of gens. Do the hard work now rather than later. And since they're already done, might as well use them. Its not like pokemon games depend on precise frame rates. It might be annoying to some players but its not an important bullet point people buy these games for that they would highlight '60fps!' in a future game.

This was exactly what they said the 3D models being so high-quality was for. They have higher resolution versions of them on-hand too for future use.

Basically they let the 3DS games suffer worse framerate with the knowledge that they could make future Pokemon titles faster, later on, since they wouldn't need to redo those models for a long time.

ONLY 13 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES REMAINING!

UJJqmGzg0nBPa.gif

-Horizon-

This was exactly what they said the 3D models being so high-quality was for. They have higher resolution versions of them on-hand too for future use.

Basically they let the 3DS games suffer worse framerate with the knowledge that they could make future Pokemon titles faster, later on, since they wouldn't need to redo those models for a long time.
There we go then.
Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Game Freak doesn’t know what they're doing. They know exactly what they’re doing.

ramparter

Banned
I hope so but if X and Y are anything to go by we will be lucky if we get to 800 Pokemon.

At this point I wouldn't even care if they didnt put new Pokemons. Personally I would be all in for other radical changes, like get rid of the f...ng HMs, I'm tired of those slaves...

I too really want changes... But I know how I can be a fanboy for Pokemon and buy the game no matter what (I just hope for more new Pokemon than Kalos)

exfatal

And the frame rate doesn't have to be correlated to the type of game it is. The problem is that it's an annoyance. Instead of stuff like horde battles going along smoothly, time is waste seeing slower animations (this is especially true if you try to EV train off hordes) because of the hardware struggling with 5 models at once.

You Ev train with animations turned on?! God damn your patient

Is there any reason to assume that the broadcast couldn't possibly be different lengths in different regions? I don't think it has happened before, but I mean, theoretically it could be possible the non-Japanese Directs get a couple extra minutes tacked on for Detective Pikachu or something, right?

My hope for the high quality models is that in future gens they can spend more time on the animations. The taking damage and fainting animations are sort of there and lack memorable ones like Pokemon stadium had 16 years ago. Some of the attack animations are neat though.

Also if this next game is on 3DS on the same engine remember to flick the New 3DS switch this time. As homebrew proves to us just using the extra processing power on the New 3DS makes battles run a lot better.

I was actually kind of disheartened to see the leak. Like why even bother one day before the direct
Ask NOE the question of why they had to file the trademark a day early. If it is anything like patents filing it 20 seconds before the direct would offer the same protection them just the same. Not that I can see anyone but Nintendo or TPC getting a PoKéMoN Sun trademark.

Nightbird

Wait, does it really have to be 5 Minutes worldwide?
I mean, yeah it's 5 in Japan, but they also have less to cover. I could totally see an announcement of Detective Pikachu happening in the US/EU direct, thus making it 7 or 8 Minutes long.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Given we know about Sun/Moon (except platform), Detective Pikachu and Pokken I can see how it'll be quick/

I want a release date for that Pokemon ingress.

Sandfox

Given we know about Sun/Moon (except platform), Detective Pikachu and Pokken I can see how it'll be quick/

I want a release date for that Pokemon ingress.

Detective Pikachu has already released in Japan so I wouldn't expect it unless the western directs are a little longer.

Honestly if they do not show any trailers, 5 minutes makes sense. Release the trailers on YT.

The XY reveal trailer was less than two minutes long IIRC and the ORAS one was even shorter.

AlanOC91

5 minutes showcasing the new Pokémon Amiibo line-up followed by a new partnership with Konami for a Pokémon Pachinko machine.

The XY reveal trailer was less than two minutes long IIRC and the ORAS one was even shorter.
Yeah, Detective Pikachu and Sun/Moon will fit but probably Pokemon Go will be just info.
Every Direct they released videos that did not make the Direct so I bet it will happen.

JoeM86

It's a 5 minute Direct. If it was 20 minutes, I'd say "yeah it'll probably have other things in", but it won't. The focal point will be the next main game and that's all that'll be in it

NeonZ

Yeah, Detective Pikachu and Sun/Moon will fit but probably Pokemon Go will be just info.
Every Direct they released videos that did not make the Direct so I bet it will happen.

There'll be no detective Pikachu in those 5 minutes. It's a worldwide Direct and the game is already out in Japan.

Nightbird

It's a 5 minute Direct. If it was 20 minutes, I'd say "yeah it'll probably have other things in", but it won't. The focal point will be the next main game and that's all that'll be in it

Probably a response to my post.

I was just wondering. Detective Pikachu doesn't look like a big game, so I don't think they would spend much time on that, hence why I was speculating 2 or 3 additional minutes for US/EU.

It wouldn't surprise me or be unexpected if in the end it were just 5 Minutes fully focused on Sun/Moon, but I think it's fair to expect more, since we have more to cover than Japan.

L~A

Added link + AEDT time for Australia in OP, in case some of you need it. If there's link for other regions I didn't include (Russia?), please tell me and I'll update the OP asap.

Symphonia

Banned
That probably wouldn't make as much money as another 3DS entry.
What's to say they can't make both a Wii U version and a 3DS version, akin to Smash Bros? Hell, they could even add features to the game that require both versions to be owned, thus bring in more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom