• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

I've been playing since launch and only have 2 Dragonites over 3000 CP.

There's really no reason to go that high though, unless you are looking to get a top slot on really competitive, established towers. In my experience, you really just need your attackers around 2300-2500 CP, and your defenders at 2500-2750 CP. Type advantage is such a huge edge that CP isn't all that important, once you are in the endgame. A 3200 Tyranitar will get curb-stomped by a Vaporeon regardless of whether it is 2200 or 2800. My 2100 Jynx absolutely wrecks Dragonites that are above 3000.
The point of higher CP (besides getting higher placement in gyms) is getting off your special attack in time and make them waste potions and revives. Like, sure Tyranitar and Rhydon get drown by Vaporeon, but if they have enough bulk they can throw a Stone Edge before they faint. Not everyone lives in dense pokestop locations, so the less pokestops around the more effective high cp pokemon in high lvl gyms are. I'm pretty sure your Jynx would still have trouble fighting 3400+ cp dragonites with dragon claw, especially in multiples.

And yeah, type advantage isn't that huge. My 3000+ Vaporeon can't faint a 3000+ Rhydon before it stone edges and Rhydon has a double weakness.

The reason why I personally try to get some high CP mons is for placement in gyms for coin and stardust collection. around here your own team does "shaving" where they have alt accounts to take out the bottom pokemon to put theirs in. this continually makes the gyms have higher cp pokemon and knocking out those that unfortunately like variety. there are a lot of gyms where I live where the bottom pokemon is like a 3100 cp snorlax.

edit: the gym a few houses down

NZIxaEq.png

I have a few maxed out lower cp pokemon like my slow Bros just cause I like them :p

I only have two mons over 3000 CP :-(

It makes a big difference around here because of gym competitiveness.

I had my highest mon, a 3234 CP Dragonite, in the gym nearest to my house for weeks, but it just got knocked out and replaced yesterday. Now everything in that gym is above 3240 CP, so I'm desperately trying to walk more Dratini candies to boost my Dragonite and get back in that gym higher up.

Qwark

Shaving and dupe accounts suck so much. Duplicate accounts is going to wreck trading as soon as it's implemented.

Finally got my Tyranitar thanks to this event. It got Iron Tail and Fire Blast, so meh moves, but you can't really go wrong with Tyranitar regardless.

Now if only I could find/hatch a Mareep.

Growlie19

Went on another walk to replenish supplies, and got rewarded with a Snorlax! Abysmal IV's with Lick/Earthquake, but he was mine in a single Ultra/Pinap combo. Up to 31 Larvitar candies.

Oxx

I hatched 4x 10k eggs today.

Gligar/Miltank/Dratini/Larvitar.

I've now hatched as many Larvitar as I have seen in the wild during this event.

CassSept

I hatched 4x 10k eggs today.

Gligar/Miltank/Dratini/Larvitar.

I've now hatched as many Larvitar as I have seen in the wild during this event.

Man, I'd kill for a Miltank. One of the last few 'mons I still need and one ran away from me last week, it hurts.

At least with this event you could walk a ton of Larvitar candies, quadruple buddy candies are awesome.

border

The point of higher CP (besides getting higher placement in gyms) is getting off your special attack in time and make them waste potions and revives. Like, sure Tyranitar and Rhydon get drown by Vaporeon, but if they have enough bulk they can throw a Stone Edge before they faint. Not everyone lives in dense pokestop locations, so the less pokestops around the more effective high cp pokemon in high lvl gyms are. I'm pretty sure your Jynx would still have trouble fighting 3400+ cp dragonites with dragon claw, especially in multiples.

And yeah, type advantage isn't that huge. My 3000+ Vaporeon can't faint a 3000+ Rhydon before it stone edges and Rhydon has a double weakness.

If you're good about dodging that shouldn't really be an issue. Once you get into the rhythm, avoiding special attacks becomes second nature.

border

I still can't dodge. I just don't get it

The screen flashes yellow when there is an incoming attack about to occur. From the moment of that flash, you have about .5-1 second to dodge the attack. Shift your pokemon left or right. It is pretty easy to keep up with once you realize there is a rhythm to it and you start counting the number of attacks you are able to get in between dodges.

For example, a good Jolteon fighting a Gyrados can get in 3 attacks between dodges. So you just count the number of attacks you perform, then dodge, then do 3 more attacks and dodge again. What's helpful about getting in the rhythm is that your opponent's Super attacks are usually out of rhythm.....so if you attack 3 times, then dodge and all of a sudden there's no incoming attacks, you know that a Super is about to happen and you should probably just be spamming your dodge move. It really helps with defenders like Snorlax, who can just drop a Body Slam out of nowhere.

GulAtiCa

Miltank is still elusive to me. Still need like 2 or 3 more Mareeps to fully evolve one too.

Apparently I have a 97.8% Larvitar on me. Well, I know who I'm evolving next! Might be a little while though. All I have on me is 2k eggs

HiResDes

The screen flashes yellow when there is an incoming attack about to occur. From the moment of that flash, you have about .5-1 second to dodge the attack. Shift your pokemon left or right. It is pretty easy to keep up with once you realize there is a rhythm to it and you start counting the number of attacks you are able to get in between dodges.

For example, a good Jolteon fighting a Gyrados can get in 3 attacks between dodges. So you just count the number of attacks you perform, then dodge, then do 3 more attacks and dodge again. What's helpful about getting in the rhythm is that your opponent's Super attacks are usually out of rhythm.....so if you attack 3 times, then dodge and all of a sudden there's no incoming attacks, you know that a Super is about to happen and you should probably just be spamming your dodge move. It really helps with defenders like Snorlax, who can just drop a Body Slam out of nowhere.
You can just spam dodge on the big moves because if your connection is as bad and laggy as mine sometimes you'll still get it.

GulAtiCa

I actually ran out of Pinap candies! Used them on basically 95 Rhyhorns, 4 Larvitars & 6+ Dratinis. Started with 50 last week and got a bunch over course of event, now I have none. Just caught a Dratini without a Pinap, felt dirty. *shivers*

HiResDes

I actually ran out of Pinap candies! Used them on basically 95 Rhyhorns, 4 Larvitars & 6+ Dratinis. Started with 50 last week and got a bunch over course of event, now I have none. Just caught a Dratini without a Pinap, felt dirty. *shivers*

I don't understand why you go so ham on Rhyhorn candy lol, but I also wouldn't devote that much time to catching Magikarp after the first five Gyrados but that's just me.

Swamped

Banned
I managed to catch another Larvitar this event, as well as an Aerodactyl which was extremely unexpected. For me, the event was a success!

GulAtiCa

I don't understand why you go so ham on Rhyhorn candy lol, but I also wouldn't devote that much time to catching Magikarp after the first five Gyrados but that's just me.

I may have gone a bit overboard. Hoping to get to 100 held Rhyhorns before event ends (need 3 more).

I mainly went a bit Rhyhorn crazy due to how uncommon/rare they are here. This past week I likely caught about 95. My Pokedex says I caught/hatched 116 total. So before this event I've only seen/hatched 21 total since launch. Hell, and prob 10+ of those were from eggs.

Either way, I am def good for Gen 4. lol

gutshot

This event has been great for me. Added Golem, Kabutops and Steelix to the Dex; acquired a 93% Rhydon with Mud Slap/Stone Edge and maxed him out; got gold on my Rock and Fire badges; got about 15 more Larvitar candies via walking and catching my first wild Larvitar and I'm only a little over 1km away from getting my first Blissey.

CassSept

To be fair, Rhyperior should be beastly unless they nerf Ryhorn line by the time Gen IV is released.

Firemind

Because he has higher CP than Golem and isn't rare as fuck like Larvitar. Also gen 4 hype!*

*in two years maybe

Qwark

How long till the event is over? A bit less than 2 hours?

Yeah, I think that's right, assuming it ends on time.

I'm getting pretty fed up with the lack of 10k eggs. I get 1 a week if I'm lucky, hatch it in 2 days, and then I'm left with all 5's. Some of my friends have 3 or 4 10ks at one time. Is it because I'm hatching them faster that they seem rare or do I just have terrible RNG luck?

I just came back to this today after 10 or so months away.

I'm kicking myself because I ran into a wild Charizard and ran out of Pokeballs! It kept breaking out!

What's the current strongest Pokémon in Go? Last time I was playing it was Vaporeon or Flareon. Can't remember which.

What can't I use My Nintendo rewards coins for stuff in Pokémon Go? I have quite a but but nothing on that reward program looks enticing enough to spend my coins on. They also have their other smart phone games on there.

Are there future updates I should be looking foward to?

GulAtiCa

Welcome back!

The following are the best Pokemon in terms of top CP: Tyranitar, Dragonite, Snorlax, Gyarados, Rhydon, Blissey, Vaporeon.

Blissey & Snorlax are best for defender, esp as they are annoying to kill. Esp a 3k CP Blissey...

gutshot

I just came back to this today after 10 or so months away.

I'm kicking myself because I ran into a wild Charizard and ran out of Pokeballs! It kept breaking out!

What's the current strongest Pokémon in Go? Last time I was playing it was Vaporeon or Flareon. Can't remember which.

What can't I use My Nintendo rewards coins for stuff in Pokémon Go? I have quite a but but nothing on that reward program looks enticing enough to spend my coins on. They also have their other smart phone games on there.

Are there future updates I should be looking foward to?

Strongest Pokemon are Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Blissey. Vaporeon, Rhydon, Gyarados and Snorlax are in the tier below.

I'm guessing it is because it is a Niantic game, not a Nintendo game. Niantic just is licensing the Pokemon IP. It would be cool if they could work out a deal with Nintendo to be able to use rewards coins though. They have a promo code thing in the shop, maybe they could have it so you can buy a Pokemon Go promo code with your My Nintendo rewards?

Future updates are the gym battle rework (which should be coming any day now), legendary Pokemon (which will be coming this summer) and Gen III (which will likely release in the fall).

Strongest Pokemon are Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Blissey. Vaporeon, Rhydon, Gyarados and Snorlax are in the tier below.

I'm guessing it is because it is a Niantic game, not a Nintendo game. Niantic just is licensing the Pokemon IP. It would be cool if they could work out a deal with Nintendo to be able to use rewards coins though. They have a promo code thing in the shop, maybe they could have it so you can buy a Pokemon Go promo code with your My Nintendo rewards?

Future updates are the gym battle rework (which should be coming any day now), legendary Pokemon (which will be coming this summer) and Gen III (which will likely release in the fall).

Thanks. One more question

Anything on the catch rate? Like I said in my last post I missed out on a Charizard because I ran out of Pokeballs. I had 34 great balls and I was feeding it berries every turn. I'm still peeved about that. It happened early today.

GulAtiCa

2nd evolution pokemon are very hard to catch. Even more so for starters.

The badges for types in the game do actually help now. Like if you have the gold on water, you have a better chance of catching water pokemon then silver, bronze or none.

Firemind

Welcome back!

The following are the best Pokemon in terms of top CP: Tyranitar, Dragonite, Snorlax, Gyarados, Rhydon, Blissey, Vaporeon.

Blissey & Snorlax are best for defender, esp as they are annoying to kill. Esp a 3k CP Blissey...
Correction: Rhydon is higher than Gyarados.

Qwark

Looks like there's no more rock pokemon spawning, but my buddy counter is still reduced. Wonder how long till that ends.

GulAtiCa

Looks like there's no more rock pokemon spawning, but my buddy counter is still reduced. Wonder how long till that ends.

Already did. Even if you go over 1/4th rate, you'll notice you won't get more candy. It's back at it's normal rate again. Restart the game. (Not sure why it requires a restart for that)

gutshot

Aw man, was literally at 1.1 km/1.25 km walked and just waiting for the distance to update when they flipped the switch. It then updated to 1.4 km/5 km and no extra candy for me. This is the second time an untimely event end has screwed me over. :(

Qwark

Already did. Even if you go over 1/4th rate, you'll notice you won't get more candy. It's back at it's normal rate again. Restart the game. (Not sure why it requires a restart for that)

Ah crud, I didn't even notice that I wasn't getting my candy. Oh well, great event.

This event kinda sucked for me. Only found two Onix when I went to downtown riverside, and one ran way. Saw one Larvitar. Saw a bunch of Ryhorn I guess but sort of not noticeable from the amount of those that spawn in this area on a normal basis anyway, same goes to Geodude. I stopped catching Ryhorn and Geodude regularly so long ago.

I just wanted some Onix candies. Still don't have enough to max out my Steelix.

Buddy candies were cool though. Maxed out my Slowking and got enough for Porygon 2. Got a decent amount for Cyndaquil too.

GulAtiCa

Successful event for me. Got 94 Rhyhorns on me now (they are pretty rare around here) with over 400 Rhyhorn candies. And now half gone! I evolved a 97.8% Rhyhorn I had, got damn bug move again.... Oh well. Sits nicely near the top.

Also caught 4 Larvitars during the event. Saw several Onixs (like 15ish, only tried to catch few since I have enough candy). Saw couple Aerodactyl. Not to mention 5+ more Dratinis.

I must have walked my Chansey at least 30km. So gained at least 24 Chansey candies.

Welcome back!

2nd evolution pokemon are very hard to catch. Even more so for starters.

The badges for types in the game do actually help now. Like if you have the gold on water, you have a better chance of catching water pokemon then silver, bronze or none.

Thanks for the info. Wow.. 3,000 plus CP... jeez.. The last time I played 1,200 CP Pokémon were considered elite and strong. My highest rated Pokémon right now is at 1243 CP. Lol.. I have a long way to go.

Is it worth starting over fresh?

GulAtiCa

Nah. No benefit. Stay where you are.

There are daily & weekly bonuses for catching a Pokemon and spinning a pokestop. So be sure to do so every day. You'll gain more xp and items. You'll level up a good bit faster now then back then too.

Also, pick a buddy! You'll gain candy that way.

Top Bottom