• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Qwark

Two of my friends just got kicked out of the same gym after about 15 hours. One of them got 90 coins, and one got 89 (difference is because of the 10 minute glitch). I trust that they told me the truth, so either it glitched (probably pretty likely), or they're changing coin allotments.

Yep, got myself a raid pass. Unfortunately, all sponsored
spots in my area are Pokéstops AFAIK. So I might have to wait until they move on from sponsored gyms before participating. Oh well.

Walked back to my only gym to feed berries. My Vaporeon and three others barely lost any motivation while the Dragonite and Tyranitar were nearly depleted. They weren't kidding about stronger demotivation in stronger mons, yeesh!

Is it only at sponsored gyms right now? That would explain why I haven't seen one yet.

elguero

Well that's annoying. The tracker tab showed me that the raid was starting in around 13 minutes but when I got to the gym it wasn't going to kick off for another 38 minutes.

tmscTZq.png

Growlie19

Was wondering how I ended up with 7 coins from a Snorlax that returned only about an hour after I put him in.

Ooh! My Vaporeon is still defending, up to 18:26! That's 92 coins; much better than the paltry 18 I thought I was getting! Gyms are much improved now.

Got all excited about the gym update and thought it might make doing them fun again. Good start but then got a bit of teething problems.

Found a rival, spent 10 mins wearing it down, big glitch at the last match and it got sniped. By two people on the same team, so not that bad.

But then I couldn't add to it as someone else was challenging, managed to get one in eventually... Lasted 15 minutes. Ah well.

Oh and then this evening I'm in another city, almost all gyms are my team so nothing to do, and many of them have been in for 6+ hours. Bastards making me jealous.

Those teething problems aside it seems like an interesting new system, and the use of berries is too. Bring on the raids.

Did my first Raid, against a 19,000+ CP Gengar. Just me and a random OnTrac driver outside of the Sprint store, lol. Pretty neat.

Head's up y'all. For anyone not down with 1coin/hour.

https://twitter.com/TheSilphRoad/status/878314280411553792

"In a great boon to high-turnover areas, it appears that coins are possibly being accrued every 10 minutes, instead of every hour!"

wat? If so then hot damn, that's a massive improvement. Thank God.

elguero

Nice. It's a start...

Another thing I don't like about the gym battles is the mid screen in between battles. It would be nice to shave off as much time spending at gyms

That mid battle screen would be nice if you could apply a potion or something. I do enjoy seeing how many battles mine/opponents pokemon have won though.

Well I've had 3/9 defeated so far today for a total of 54 coins. They were far away gyms so I wasn't going to be able to support anyways. It does appear people are catching on now. I'm a little concerned I'll drop below 10 coins a day soon but we will see.

GulAtiCa

Well I've had 3/9 defeated so far today for a total of 54 coins. They were far away gyms so I wasn't going to be able to support anyways. It does appear people are catching on now. I'm a little concerned I'll drop below 10 coins a day soon but we will see.

Given the new 1 per 10 minutes. It's much easier to get coins now.

gutshot

Oh. Looks like the new limit is 50 per day.. That would explain why my Lapras gave me none.

Oh wow. Well I typically only collected 50 coins or less a day under the old system, so this won't be a huge hit to my average coin earnings. But it does feel pretty stingy by Niantic.

Everything in the shop is so expensive already, that I don't think letting dedicated players earn 100 coins a day is going to cost them much revenue. People who want to spend real money on coins so they can always have tons of incubators, lucky eggs and buy the cosmetic stuff will still do so. And F2P players will be able to more easily keep pace with the spoofers.

Glad they're listening to feedback, 1 coin every 10 mins is much more reasonable.

Boo on the 50 coin limit. I hope it goes back to 100. But this is a step in the right direction.

Berries need to give more stardust. We used to get 500 per gym, now it's nothing. It takes 25 berry feedings to acquire that now.

Qwark

Feck, Niantic updated their support page with 50 coins/day, looks legit.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/222049347-Battling-at-Gyms

You redeem your PokéCoins only after your Pokémon returns from the Gym. You can redeem a maximum bonus of 50 PokéCoins per day. If you have more than one Pokémon return from Gyms in a single day, the maximum bonus for the day is still limited to 50 PokéCoins.

I don't know how this move can be spun as not greedy.

Qwark

1 every 10 minutes is not greedy. In fact, it's generous after being 1 per hour previously.

50 per day max however I would argue is greedy :p

Just talking about the 50, 1 every 10 minutes (which is amazing) almost seems a waste with that limit in place.

While I greatly appreciate the increased coin rate and am glad they're listening, this still doesn't help with the fact that my Pokemon in my rural gyms are stuck there for weeks until someone knocks them out. I don't understand why they got rid of the system of just pressing a button to collect and then having a 21 hour cooldown. Or just have the Pokemon bail when it's achieved maximum coinage.

While I greatly appreciate the increased coin rate and am glad they're listening, this still doesn't help with the fact that my Pokemon in my rural gyms are stuck there for weeks until someone knocks them out. I don't understand why they got rid of the system of just pressing a button to collect and then having a 21 hour cooldown. Or just have the Pokemon bail when it's achieved maximum coinage.

I hope they patch to kick out Pokémon soon. If the 1% decay rule is true it could take 100 days to clear out (assuming no one berries). I also think there should still be some daily bonus for holding a gym 24 hours.

edit: Wow I just realized I probably will have serveral Pokémon stuck forever. So it may become very hard to get 50 a day because they are all stuck being berried up. How the hell did they not think of this?

GulAtiCa

Some of you really need to calm down. lol. If people talk about it enough, Niantic will hopefully make it back to the old system of 100 per day.

border

50 coins/day cap is garbage. Something tells me that Niantic didn't really bother to think through their new economy, if they are already hitting the panic button and making drastic alterations less than 24 hours after launch.

I'm not really enjoying the new gym system that much. Battling a gym used to be a significant challenge -- now I'm just beating up on a bunch of gimped pokemon six times in a row. I used to have to think about type matchups and keep up with dodging.....now I just spam endlessly because I'd rather get done faster and the stronger attackers can dispatch all the mediocre pokemon quite easily. Taking down a gym just feels like a grind now because of how obscenely easy it is. The pauses in between matches only add to the tedium. If they are going to bring the battle to a grinding halt like that, at least give me the opportunity to switch out my pokemon.

Is it me or is fighting glitchy as hell? Enemies lose energy.....then they get it back.....then they lose it again. Sometimes when I switch to a different mon, the game immediately switches me back to the previous one.....then back to the one I'd originally chosen. I don't even want to switch in battle at this point.

GulAtiCa

I'm not really enjoying the new gym system that much. Battling a gym used to be a significant challenge -- now I'm just beating up on a bunch of gimped pokemon six times in a row. I used to have to think about type matchups and keep up with dodging.....now I just spam endlessly because I'd rather get done faster and the stronger attackers can dispatch all the mediocre pokemon quite easily. Taking down a gym just feels like a grind now because of how obscenely easy it is.

It feels like a grind because of how easy it is? And the old system with 10 Dragonites / Blisseys / Snorlax gyms didn't? lol

I admit it's a bit repetitive. But I MUCH rather spend 10 minutes knocking down a 4+ people gym then spend an hour on the old system to try to knock down a lv 10 gym. Be even longer if it had a few blisseys in it.

For my particular area this would be way better for me. The 3 gyms here are soo spread out. The vast majority of days I would just settle with getting one and checking out 10. I imagine this would be overall better for me than any of the other systems.

They should bring the cap back up to 100 though for sure.

GulAtiCa

I don't care about cap so much as it's now possible we can get Pokémon perpetually stuck in gyms with no real bonus. That's a gap.

Well, it's only been a day. We don't know if gyms will become stagnant again. In the old system, I would barely touch a lv 10 gym and stays like that for months do to how hard and annoying and repetitive it was to knock it down. Now? It's very easy. And very fun. So much better.

Still needs lots of improvements of course (esp that lag..) But I have a feeling gyms will see better rollover attempt.

border

It feels like a grind because of how easy it is? And the old system with 10 Dragonites / Blisseys / Snorlax gyms didn't? lol

Gyms have always been something of a grind, but that's much more apparent now because there's no skill or mental effort involved. Trying to take down a lineup of 9-10 Pokemon with a team of 6 required you to really think about your team choices and be on your feet during a fight. Now you just pick Dragonite and have him kill half the team by himself by spamming without dodging......then designate 1-2 others for cleanup. Most of the time you don't even need to go more than 3 deep into your lineup.

Well, it's only been a day. We don't know if gyms will become stagnant again. In the old system, I would barely touch a lv 10 gym and stays like that for months do to how hard and annoying and repetitive it was to knock it down. Now? It's very easy. And very fun. So much better.

It's hard to say how stagnant things will become. I guess it depend on how much people actually enjoy taking down gyms.

JavyOO7

This game seems pretty generous in regards to giving stuff to the player... Pokeballs, berries and what have you not, etc... I'd feel bad not giving Niantic money since even though the game is lacking I still find it fun enough to upgrade my bag space to 1000 (soon 1500).

With the new gym system and the raids that are going to come soon, I'm sure Niantic will find a happy medium in regards to coins soon enough. (100 coins last night but now down to 50, but you can get coins now within 10 mins, etc...)

GulAtiCa

Gyms have always been something of a grind, but that's much more apparent now because there's no skill or mental effort involved. Trying to take down a lineup of 9-10 Pokemon with a team of 6 required you to really think about your team choices and be on your feet during a fight. Now you just pick Dragonite and have him kill half the team by himself......then designate 1-2 others for cleanup. Most of the time you don't even need to go more than 3 deep into your lineup.

Honestly, this seems like a silly thing to complain about. I honestly find the new way fun. Taking down 10 pokemon at once was usually non-existant I noticed. Most high lv gyms stayed the same. And I'm speaking of someone who once gained 80+ coins a day for months. Months! Hell, I did 100 coins for 2 weeks straight. So until this new system, I had pokemon stuck in gyms for nearly 3 or so months.

I really wonder how often people did solo battles to take down gyms. I know I maybe did it 5 times max on different gyms.

This game seems pretty generous in regards to giving stuff to the player... Pokeballs, berries and what have you not, etc... I'd feel bad not giving Niantic money since even though the game is lacking I still find it fun enough to upgrade my bag space to 1000 (soon 1500).

With the new gym system and the raids that are going to come soon, I'm sure Niantic will find a happy medium in regards to coins soon enough. (100 coins last night but now down to 50, but you can get coins now within 10 mins, etc...)
Honestly, I do think Niantic really was too easy on us. Esp compared to other F2P games like Fire Emblem Mobile. Now that is a game that really doesn't reward you that much (has better reward system though).

Hell, compare it's store to ours.
PoGO: $99.99 for 14,500 coins
FE: $74.99 for 140 orbs. Which is really not much at all. lol

Top Bottom