• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Luxorek

Man, what the fuck is this gym system.

I had four mons put in the gyms yesterday, today one comes back with measly 8 coins. It used to be 80-100 daily, not to mention stardust. It's like Niantic wants people to lose interest in such an unrewarding system.

Man, what the fuck is this gym system.

I had four mons put in the gyms yesterday, today one comes back with measly 8 coins. It used to be 80-100 daily, not to mention stardust. It's like Niantic wants people to lose interest in such an unrewarding system.
It's more like they want to force you to buy more coins and don't care about those who would sooner quit altogether.

But there's no limit to the coins you can get right? the daily 100 cap is gone i mean?
I believe I saw each Pokémon has a 100 coin cap now. So if your Pokémon is in a gym longer than 100 hours it becomes worthless until someone finally boots it.

That could be false though, obviously haven't seen proof of it since it hasn't been 100 hours yet.

Um, so, like, how do I put a pokemon in a gym?

Obviously they're all full atm. Do I have to sit next to the gym and wait until a pokemon drops out or something? Cus if so then I won't ever be getting a pokemon into a gym.

Or do I have to go and attack rival gyms, clear them out, and then I can throw one in?

T.O.P

Banned
Um, so, like, how do I put a pokemon in a gym?

Obviously they're all full atm. Do I have to sit next to the gym and wait until a pokemon drops out or something? Cus if so then I won't ever be getting a pokemon into a gym.

Or do I have to go and attack rival gyms, clear them out, and then I can throw one in?

If your team has all six spots you can't do much about it, go hunting for rival gyms

I just realized i left one of my bests (100% Machamp) in the middle of fuckin nowhere... t' was nice knowing ya :(

Inviusx

Talk about a hype killer. This update seemed so awesome in theory and yet Niantic have fumbled once again. I cannot rationalize these changes beyond them just wanting to gouge more money from their whales.

As a pretty dedicated player it hasn't been fun watching Niantic drop the ball over and over again when this game had so much potential a year ago.

Rafavert

Guys, I need some advice.

I have a wonder (no idea exact %. How do you check that?) Clefable with Zen Headbutt and Dazzling Gleam. I wanted to use it, but it's pretty low CPwise (measly 100ish). Would it be worth the investment?

Same thing for a Steelix with Iron Tail and Earthquake (though it's no wonder).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Got a bronze badge in a gym buy fighting the rival team but I didn't get shit for it. Wasn't there supposed to be an incentive for gym badges ?

T.O.P

Banned

I have a wonder (no idea exact %. How do you check that?) Clefable with Zen Headbutt and Dazzling Gleam. I wanted to use it, but it's pretty low CPwise (measly 100ish). Would it be worth the investment?

If you're on Android just dload IV Go from the store

But if you are still a low level (100ish?) don't waste stardust up until you get to 20+ imo

T.O.P

Banned
Thanks! Will give it a peek.

I'm lv25. The Clefable is just very low CP =p bar almost empty.

Don't bother imo

I feel like it's a waste to power up pokemon who are not above 70 ish % of the CP cap (with some rare exceptions, like a 100% Dratini for example)

Especially considering how stingy the game is with stardust :/

I really like the update so far. Some fixing is needed but I can see it improving the game a lot.
And I think I'll probably get lots of coins from the first day already.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

also i suggest not evolving or keeping anything unless it is amazing wow or what ever your teams version is you can hold onto it to walk it for candy if you have no other options but its a waste to evolve bad iv pokemon

I really like the update so far. Some fixing is needed but I can see it improving the game a lot.
And I think I'll probably get lots of coins from the first day already.

im with you love this update having more interaction with the gyms is great and you get candy and stardust from it
beats just taking a gym and filling it with blissey and forgetting about it

Rafavert

also i suggest not evolving or keeping anything unless it is amazing wow or what ever your teams version is you can hold onto it to walk it for candy if you have no other options but its a waste to evolve bad iv pokemon

im with you love this update having more interaction with the gyms is great and you get candy and stardust from it
beats just taking a gym and filling it with blissey and forgetting about it

I already do that =) I only evolve wonder Pokémon normally. Steelix was a bit of an exception, since Onix here are stupidly rare (only managed to evolve it because of the event). The exception are Pokémon I simply don't care about.

Dynasty

Had 4 gyms yesterday, woke uo today and all pokemon are still in the gyms. Guess I'm getting pretty lucky.

All on 13 hours and the badges have also turned bronze.

Firemind

Yeah seems like some gyms are regularly upkeep'd and some are neglected. Bad news for me since I live in a Valor and Mystic neighbourhood. On the one hand I like the teamwork aspect. On the other hand spoofers do have a distinct advantage.

Dynasty

I think to satisfy everyone, the best thing to do with earning gold coins with gyms is have both the old and new systems up.

So if use the old system you get the 10 coin per gym but then your pokemon stops earning any gold from gyms for the next 21 hours.
If your pokemon gets kicked out of a gym you get the gold and then the 21 hour cooldown automatically starts stopping you from claiming any coins.

Swamped

Banned
Aw what, raids are only for level 35+? I'm never going to get there...

But on the bright sight, my Eggsecutor has been in the gym since yesterday evening! I think it's a gym that's not frequented much.

But on the bright sight, my Eggsecutor has been in the gym since yesterday evening! I think it's a gym that's not frequented much.

As far as I know for now (as in Beta) I think they will move the level down soon

Got 60 coins in the last 14h. That's more than I ever got in a single day. I know it won't always be like that but I like that you're independant from that stupid ass timer. I hated the timer.

I hope not. Should be open to everyone IMO.

At least if they keep level caps, they ought to break it down so some raids have lv5 cap, 10, 15, 20 etc. more inclusive that way.

I think to satisfy everyone, the best thing to do with earning gold coins with gyms is have both the old and new systems up.

So if use the old system you get the 10 coin per gym but then your pokemon stops earning any gold from gyms for the next 21 hours.
If your pokemon gets kicked out of a gym you get the gold and then the 21 hour cooldown automatically starts stopping you from claiming any coins.

No, if they wanted to make everyone happy they would have kept the old gym system, then just added in the decaying CP where it scales over time, then toss in the feeding with diminishing returns for everyone. That way rural players that used to have gyms that never get taken can still be rewarded for being in the gyms, and the turnover rate in high player areas is increased due to CP decay. Everybody wins, TADA!

Firemind

No, if they wanted to make everyone happy they would have kept the old gym system, then just added in the decaying CP where it scales over time, then toss in the feeding with diminishing returns for everyone. That way rural players that used to have gyms that never get taken can still be rewarded for being in the gyms, and the turnover rate in high player areas is increased due to CP decay. Everybody wins, TADA!
No, because earning coins without having to do anything is dumb. Spoofers could target rural gyms with no turnover rate and get max rewards every day.

So one of my Pokemon just started losing 1cp a minute at one of the gyms I took. It only started happening after about half a day of holding that gym. I woke up and saw that I had taken some damage and pumped my mon back up with berries, however it got greyed out before I could fill the heart back to 100 percent. Does anybody know why it's doing that?

Edit: Figured it out. I was only allowed to give myself so many berries after being attacked, so that's why they got greyed out after a certain number. As for draining 1cp a minute, that seems to be happening to everyone in my gym, even when they still show full hearts. I just noticed it for the first time because my heart wasn't full and I was waiting until I could give berries again.

No, because earning coins without having to do anything is dumb. Spoofers could target rural gyms with no turnover rate and get max rewards every day.

So, same as before then? Compared to now where rural players get nothing and spoofers target city gyms instead ruining it for everyone? Yah, sounds like a great idea.

So just to summarize everyone's frustration (and vent my own as well as a rural player)

From the cityfolk perspective, you spend 20 minutes taking a gym with a 1 in 3 chance that you might hold that gym for an hour, thus netting you one coin, two if you're really lucky!

From the ruralfolk perspective, I put my Pokemon in the 5 gyms in town, watch them degrade but survive there next three months, until some out-of-town red dude visiting their grandma decides to knock down all the 10cp gyms in an hour, netting me a total of (the maximum allowed) 100 coins, or an average of 1.1 coins per day, just enough to buy 2/3rds of an incubator.

Someone designed this gym system and thought it was a good idea. I'd love to hear what the hell they were thinking. If it's about Ninantic earning more money, I would have preferred ad branding the Pokemon. Have Machamp holding some deodorant. Tattoo Geico on Blissey's otherwise empty pink body. Anything but this!

GulAtiCa

Now in about 7 gyms currently. I spent an hour this morning driving around taking down / placing in pokemon in some gyms along the way to my work. Also a pokemon got knocked out this morning after being in for 15 hours, gained another 15 coins.

Also, saw a Dragonair in the most random place today! It ran away sadly. Was too high level. But at least it gave me like 10 plus tries.

Firemind

So, same as before then? Compared to now where rural players get nothing and spoofers target city gyms instead ruining it for everyone? Yah, sounds like a great idea.
No, people have to actively participate now, even spoofers, and all those high cp 100% Pokemon the cheaters farmed are now deemed worthless. If it were like the old system, they could have sit on their asses and buy premium raid passes every day. Now they have to work for it.

GulAtiCa

Love the diversity in gyms now. Been seeing all sorts of new pokemon in gyms now. Still see occasional Gyarados & Dragonite, but those will likely become less seen over time as people realize that high CP Pokemon are now a bad idea. I try to stick around the 2000 - 2500 range now.

So, that means unlike the old system. All my top Pokemon are now always free to battle! That was always an issue for me, where if I had all my 2800+ Pokemon in gyms, I had more trouble battling, esp Blisseys. But, I look forward to how this progresses.

Growlie19

Looks like my Rhydon was kicked out at the 10 hour mark, giving me the Bronze Gym Leader medal and ten coins. Vaporeon is still kicking at almost 14 hours; kinda surprising, since that gym is typically Valor territory. I also got my Bronze Berry Picker medal.

Gonna wait to tackle enemy gyms until the battle-related bugs gets ironed out. It's a bit of a headache otherwise.

Rahvar

Love the diversity in gyms now. Been seeing all sorts of new pokemon in gyms now. Still see occasional Gyarados & Dragonite, but those will likely become less seen over time as people realize that high CP Pokemon are now a bad idea. I try to stick around the 2000 - 2500 range now.

So, that means unlike the old system. All my top Pokemon are now always free to battle! That was always an issue for me, where if I had all my 2800+ Pokemon in gyms, I had more trouble battling, esp Blisseys. But, I look forward to how this progresses.

Why are high CP pokemons a bad idea?

GulAtiCa

Why are high CP pokemons a bad idea?

From the sounds of it / from what I've seen. Their motivation / CP goes down much quicker over time/battles. So Pokemon who had cp > 3000 will go down VERY quick compared to lower CP Pokemon. As it honestly should.

Rahvar

From the sounds of it / from what I've seen. Their motivation / CP goes down much quicker over time/battles. So Pokemon who had cp > 3000 will go down VERY quick compared to lower CP Pokemon. As it honestly should.
Ah. Well I'm level and my highest mon is in the 2.5k range

No, people have to actively participate now, even spoofers, and all those high cp 100% Pokemon the cheaters farmed are now deemed worthless. If it were like the old system, they could have sit on their asses and buy premium raid passes every day. Now they have to work for it.

Except now it's a ton of work to take a gym while worrying about drive by boosting wasting 20 minutes of your time, just to toss in your pokemon and have them knocked out before you even get one coin. You seriously don't see the problem with this? Why put in all the work to take a gym if there is serious potential for no payoff? Why would rural players even bother when their gyms may stay for weeks for a measly 100 coins? Aside from your hard core players, this gym update is a serious downer.

Top Bottom