• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

JC Lately

Let me see if I understand this:

It now takes ten uninterrupted gym hours and who knows how many candies to obtain the same coin reward you used to get instantly.

AT THE SAME TIME: Niantic adds new items to the coin shop AND brags about you can now spend even more coins to hit their new item expansion limit.

And I’m supposed to applaud this blatant cash grab?

I feel for you :(

Theres no point in taking down a gym if you know its going to be taken down within an hour. Even then, wasting 20+ minutes to take a gym only to wait ATLEAST an hour to get one fucking coin is such a time sink. And that doesn't account for people taking their time to travel to these gyms.

They are putting player incentive in a shady cloud. Its 1 step forward and 2 steps back. If they are keeping this system, they need to give another way for people to earn coins.

There doesn't even necessarily need to be another way to earn coins. The system at its basic level can work. Just do away with the minimum time, up the coins per hour a bit, and then add a cool-down so people can't just keep swapping a gym over and over with a competing team to game the system.

So like, 2 coins per hour with the first "hour" being instantaneous, and then put a 6-12 hour freeze on collecting from that gym after being kicked out.

Unless of course this is all an intentional, anti-user cash-grab:

Let me see if I understand this:

It now takes ten uninterrupted gym hours and who knows how many candies to obtain the same coin reward you used to get instantly.

AT THE SAME TIME: Niantic adds new items to the coin shop AND brags about you can now spend even more coins to hit their new item expansion limit.

And I'm supposed to applaud this blatant cash grab?

Yeah, it looks pretty bad.

Coin payouts should be based on the Fibonacci sequence:
1 and 2 Hours - 1 coin
3 hours - 2 coins
4 hours - 3 coins
5 hours - 5 coins
6 hours - 8 coins
7 hours - 13 coins

Max coins per day should be 208 coins per day.

Boom, I just helped coin-hoarders and made the incentive to take down and defend gyms a bit more juicy.

Didn't they say it was going to start as a "beta" type thing? I saw a lot of speculation that it would start with higher levels and eventually roll out to lower levels.

There's no way in hell that's permanent. Any permanent floor higher than 30 would be bullshit and even that would *extremely* rough. I get that it's supposed to be a high-level end-game thing, but even 30+ would lock out far too much of the player base. If there is a permanent floor it'll probably be between 10-20, but the Raids will likely be weighted towards 30+ players.

So yeah, it'll definitely role out to lower players, this is just a beta for top-tier folks.

JC Lately

There's no way in hell that's permanent. Any permanent cap higher than 30 would be bullshit and even that would extremely rough. If there is a permanent floor it'll probably be between 10-20.

It'll definitely role out to lower players, it's just a beta for top-tier folks.

Yeah, but a couple of hours ago I would have said an earn rate of one coin per hour was bullshit too.

And yet here we are.

Growlie19

Arcanine came back home after nearly 5 hours. Nearly being the key word, so I got four coins from that. Rhydon is still holding strong, and I took down a Valor gym, placing a Vaporeon in. That makes three badges owned.

I'm slightly miffed about the level 35 minimum for raids, though. I've still got another 100K to 34, but who knows, they might lower the requirement before the worldwide rollout.

Ashodin

get fucked hackers

I'm going to test it out again and make sure. Then use the legit Pokémon on the account to see if they are affected.
Edit: Confirmed. Slashed Pokémon cannot hurt gym Pokémon. They also cannot be placed in gyms.

They also fixed the bugs where you evolve a Pokémon and the slash went away. Niantic on top of their shit.

Oh yeah and fuck my suburbs for not getting at least ONE new gym UGHJJNHJ.

I didn't get any new ones, but a small nearby neighborhood had a gym and a stop in fairly close proximity swap with each other. I have no idea why, lol. The gym placement is a little better for extended play though, so that's nice.

Ashodin

From the official update

Once the update has been rolled out to players around the world, Gyms will return. The Raid Battle feature will then be rolled out slowly over the next few weeks, starting as a beta, with raids visible only to a subset of players at certain Gym locations. Over a few days, we'll invite more players to participate and enable raids at more Gyms around the world. Keep an eye on our social media channels for updates on when you'll be able to start battling in raids. We can't wait to see you outside battling at your local Gyms!

So I'd assume they're going to slowly lower the level limit (as more and more people get included). Probably a level a day.

I mean an example player is Level 29 in their own screenshots lol.

The 1 coin per hour things seems like a good way to combat cheaters from simply hopping into gyms, taking their 100 coins and then leaving, however it doesn't really work in practice. Gyms aren't held long enough for anyone to really take advantage, especially casual players like myself. The longest I've ever held a Gym for is 5 hours~, and that is literally the current Pokemon I have in now and I'm fairly sure that's only due to the fact the update is new and was Gyms came back online at around 9pm here.

What the fuck? One of my Pokémon came back after 4 hours and I got ZERO coins?

Edit: Coins finally came. I'm also anticipating I'll be getting <10 coins a day now once the population knows.

Ashodin

we can breathe easy guys. the level 35+ dudes are fighting this as a raid

pf54oyxera5z.jpg

Qwark

I'm level 35 and found a raid pass, but I don't see any raids around me. I hope they're not just at sponsored stops right now.

gutshot

Well I made 5 coins so far and still have 4 Pokemon holding down gyms. The longest is at 6 hours and counting...

This system definitely encourages you to just put as many Mons in gyms as you can. 4 coins an hour is pretty lame but 20 coins an hour? Now we're talking.

I think what Niantic is encouraging here is being continually active in the gyms as opposed to just battling a couple times once per day and that's it. I like the idea but do think some tweaks should be made. One of which is you should get one coin for just putting a Pokemon into a gym. Getting kicked out at 50+ mins really sucks.

I also think the 100 coin a day limit is bad. But I'm less sure about what to do there because bots and spoofers will easily exploit the system to huge gains if you remove the cap altogether.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Hm. Park by my apartment that usually is buzzing with people playing Pokémon Go it fairly quiet. Maybe this wasn't update to draw in a lot more people.

I dont think many people have realized that gyms are back up yet (Niantic really sucks with push notifications) I still have control of a gym with only my Mon in it when it usually has more players in it

Found two mystics and we rolled through 3 gyms. I'm siting on 8 right now. Question:

How does the cap work? Is it per Pokémon or per day total. Either way what is the cap?

elguero

I'm already sick of spending tons of time and items to tear down six pokemon gyms and getting literally nothing in return. New coin payout system is going to kill the game if Niantic doesn't act soon.

Joni

It is the first day of the new gym system. It will settle down. But the system looks to be more fun and rewarding now even without coins, so I'll be spending a lot more time in gyms now.

After about 3 hours of gyming tonight, I have to say that this new system needs some work.

As I feared the other day, the coin payout structure is horrible. In 3 hours across 12 gyms, I collected 6 coins. 4 of those coins came from a single isolated gym that lasted 4 hours, the remaining 2 from separate 1 to 1.5 hour gyms. Everything else lasted 30 mins or less. People are going to figure out very quickly that getting coins this way is rough and not worth it at all. It's simply too much work for too little gain. If you're in a busy urban area, good fucking luck. Rural areas will work for now until the casuals get bored again and then you're screwed too.

Now for the matter of gym defense...there isn't any. Feed the first berry and get some decent CP back to your mon. Then half, then half again. And now you're adding almost nothing. And that's the extent of your "defense". At least before I could counter prestige and hold off an attacker or at least make it take longer for them. Now I'm just a minor nuisance, a small speed bump on an opponents guaranteed victory tour.

I also don't like the ever trickling down CP. Attacking did not need to be made even easier. You now only have 6 opponents max and they get weaker every round. I was able to smash through a Dragonite starting at 2600 5 times until he was off the gym with a single Lapras without having to heal. 5 battles and a gym turnover at the expense of 1 hyper potion.

The core of this update is good, Niantic just needs to balance it better. It's too in favor of attack, turnover is too high, and the coin payout structure doesn't reward enough upfront.

I think I'll sit the gym game out until the dust settles and the casuals get fed up and quit. I have 5000 coins socked away even after maxing my bag again. Never paid a dime for them either.

So just giving my two cents. Payout is horrible. Still in 6 of 9. Only my Lapras stayed ten hours - got ten coins and a medal for holding the gym 10 hours (counter is on 22 from 100, silver medal right now)

Edit: Other came back with no coins at all.

Oxx

My main problem is that I feel like an idiot stood outside of a building/landmark playing Pokemon.

Plus it's probably dangerous to stand on street corners around where I live.

Top Bottom