• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Kanto and RED done!

Final team:

Ampharos lvl 52
Lugia lvl 46
Alakazam lvl 46
Feraligatr lvl 49

Final time: 10:09

I had a good time with this. I'm in for another round if we get Crystal. There's a couple other Pokemon I would like to try to make a team around.

Dude what the hell? Are you a magician? 10 hours?! This is blowing my mind right now.

Velcro Fly

Politoed

- Surf
- Ice Punch
- Perish Song
- Waterfall/Whirlpool/something

Surf is nice. Ice Punch is nice. Perish Song to cheese Kingdra. More water HM support or another move. I have to trade but I have never used this line of pokemon before (not even Poliwrath).

Going to also have Typhlosion, Golem, and Ampharos. Not sure what else to use.

Maaaan I'm still bummed I can't get a Gengar or Alakazam. I always have at least one of the two on my team

EDIT: Lmao... Is Falkner the worst Gym trainer in the entire franchise?

CazTGG

My team as of the 3rd Gym:

Spr_2c_159.png
Spr_2c_156.png
Spr_2c_180.png
Spr_2c_147.png

I'm debating, as I get to Ecruteak, whether to breed a Charmander while I get myself a Chikorita with the egg moves I want or if I should give Xatu a try given how long it'll take to get a Dragonite. Maybe if Crystal comes out, i'll try out the ones I didn't during this run.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yo, so someone sum up the Johto Starter Glitch for me.

With that in mind, I think I'm gonna do an "Ash Run"...where you use his Pokemon from the show, though minus Pikachu and with the benefit of fully evolving them. So, for Johto, it'd be...

Chikorita
Totodile
Cyndaquil
Noctowl (won't fret about no shiny)
Heracross
Phanpy (guess I'm going Silver!)

That's a pretty nice team---pick up the Starters with the Starter Glitch, pick up Hoothoot and evolve it early on for my Fly Slave, grab Heracross a bit later on (when's the earliest you can Headbutt it?), and then I can get Phanpy by the time I get to Kanto.

Probably use my sixth slot as a rotation until then.

With that in mind, I think I'm gonna do an "Ash Run"...where you use his Pokemon from the show, though minus Pikachu and with the benefit of fully evolving them. So, for Johto, it'd be...

Chikorita
Totodile
Cyndaquil
Heracross

That's a pretty nice team---pick up the Starters with the Starter Glitch, pick up Hoothoot and evolve it early on for my Fly Slave, grab Heracross a bit later on (when's the earliest you can Headbutt it?), and then I can get Phanpy by the time I get to Kanto.

You get headbutt in the forest, you can get Heracross in most of the routes before then.

Bladenic

Why in the world did I fix they fixed the trading to be online? Like not only am I stupid but now I'm sad cuz I have Kadabra, Haunter, Onix, and Machoke lmao. :(

Luckily I have someone who has Silver and will be visiting in 2 weeks but still.

Kanto and RED done!

Final team:

Ampharos lvl 52
Lugia lvl 46
Alakazam lvl 46
Feraligatr lvl 49

Final time: 10:09

I had a good time with this. I'm in for another round if we get Crystal. There's a couple other Pokemon I would like to try to make a team around.

First of all that time! 10 hours is ridiculous

Second of all I could've sworn Red had a swole team and you marched in with 4 (my condolences if there were 6) pretty much all under 50 and bodied him?

Nuzlocke Update! 5th Gym has fallen but we lost a few...

Version: Silver
Badges: 5
Pokemon Dead: 5
Pokemon Owned: 38 (This includes evolutions)

Current Party:
Bayleef (Stassi) Level 25
Graveler (Dudebro) level 25
Ampharos (Tsuyana) level 30 *NEWLY EVOLVED!!*
Raticate (Triss) Level 27
Fearow (Luggins) Level 31
Corsola (Korin) Level 22

Pokemon in the bank:
Gastley (Wizwick)
Togepi (Eggberta)
Slowpoke (Estra)
Oddish (Zonni)
Paras (Vivina)
Eevee (Debbie)
Exeggcute (Jellina)
Machop (Chopper)
Koffing (Teddie)
Sudowoodo (Rocktree)
Shuckle (SHUCKIE the gift Pokemon, I'll rename it if I can) *NEW!*
Poliwag (Tassi) *NEW!*
Farfetch'd (Dumass) *NEW!*
Magnemite (Volt) *NEW!*
Krabby (Murky) *NEW!*
Tentacruel (Kist) *NEW!*

Pokemon at the Daycare:
Ditto (Copycat)

Fallen Pokemon:
Beedrill (Stabi) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Zubat (Sreek) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Pidgeotto (Coco) Died to Machoke (Rock Slide)
Furret *NEWLY EVOLVED* (Tren) Died to Poliwrath (Dynamic Punch)
Tentacool (Quotaro) *NEW!* Released due to catching its evolution

Current thoughts: Gym 5 was a lot more trouble then I expected. I leveled Pidgeotto and Fearow up to 25 but Coco got one shot by a Rockslide on one of the trainers before the leader so I decided to grind up Fearow up a bit more since I didn't know what to expect form the leader when one of its trainers took out my leading Flying pokemon. The leader himself wasn't to much trouble, Fearow wiped the floor with Primeape and while I wasn't sure what exactly the Poliwrath would do I brought in Furret (who I had just evolved just for this) and used him as a sacrifice to see what moves it had, it died but it served its purpose as a sacrifice to make sure it didn't have something crazy like Ice Punch or something that could have one shot my Fearow.

I caught a Corsola which I've never once used but seems pretty good right now, I taught it Rollout and Surf and it already knew Recover so its fairly powerful for now since its a tank with its own heal. I started to travel around to catch a few new Pokemon (which is why I have so many new ones) but stopped about halfway through when I thought it'd be better to just go ahead and get fly first so now that I've got the 5th Badge I'm going to go and do a bunch of side stuff and catch Pokemon in places I can before I continue on. Planning to go ahead and grab an Abra from Goldenrod as well since I think it'll make a great member with the elemental punches for at least the rest of this region... assuming I make it that far XD

I've got some decent options in the box now as well so I think my next update once I've beaten the 6th gym might take a bit but I'm hoping my team will be a lot more fleshed out by then... and hopefully no one will get destroyed before it happens XD

Chikorita
Totodile
Cyndaquil
Heracross

I did this for Yellow and actually kept everyone in their base forms (except for Pidgeotto and Butterfree). I could have evolved Charmander but I appreciated the extra challenge.

The fun thing is this isn't too far off from my Silver team right now, either. I have Quilava, Bayleef, Croconaw, Noctowl, Ampharos and Togepi with Togepi being a rotational Pokémon. Six badges in, just doing some side quest stuff before continuing.

Nice thing is I've already run into Raikou and Suicune just from messing around, so when it comes time to hunt for them it won't be too bad.

Macka

My Lv. 17 Onix absolutely wrecked Whitney. Didn't need to use anyone else. Screeched to lower defense and then cleaned up with Rock Throw.

Has anyone transferred Pokemon from G/S into Sun or Moon yet? I'm curious if they have the same icon as R/B/Y Pokemon, or if it's slightly different.

Spent about 40 minutes traipsing around Route 46 only to discover that there are no Jigglypuffs there in the Japanese versions of the game... Well dang, I had no idea the encounter locations differed!

Mr-Joker

Banned
grab Heracross a bit later on (when's the earliest you can Headbutt it?)

After the second gym badge but you need to headbutt a tree near a mountain area. I caught mine on Route 33.

Though be warned catching Heracross is not easy as they are super rare and when you do find one they can flee.

Mine gave so much trouble and to make it worse he was so strong that he beating up my Pokémon as I was trying to capture him...worth it though as Heracross is one strong Pokémon.

I did this for Yellow and actually kept everyone in their base forms (except for Pidgeotto and Butterfree). I could have evolved Charmander but I appreciated the extra challenge.

I did that when I first got Yellow though it was by accident as I caught Butterfree to defeat Brock and I just kept him on the team but over the course of time Butterfree was swapped out with multiple Pokémon till I finally settled on using Sandslash, Pidgey was replaced for Eevee.

Spent about 40 minutes traipsing around Route 46 only to discover that there are no Jigglypuffs there in the Japanese versions of the game... Well dang, I had no idea the encounter locations differed!

Yep in the Japanese version Teddiursa was exclusive to Silver and Phanpy was exclusive to Silver, they changed it for some reason in the western release.

Funny thing is in the remake they just kept it the same as the original Japanese version

dyreschlock

The starter glitch is basically just using the Pokemon Cloning Glitch to get all the starters at the beginning.

The cloning glitch is done by interrupting the saving process when switching boxes in the PC. The information for the PC boxes are saved before the information of the player. So, you store Pokemon (and/or put items on them) in the PC taking them off the player, switch boxes and reset them game at a specific point during the saving process, boot the game back up. The newly stored Pokemon are in the PC, and they are also still carried by the player.

To do this with starters, make a save right before choosing your initial starter Pokemon, choose one, then you need to get to the point where you can catch another Pokemon allowing you to store the starter in the PC. Reset during the switching boxes saving process. Then do it again for the next starter. Giving a Pokeball to that first Pokemon will expedite the process. Do the glitch, and then continue for real by choosing the last starter.

The first 2 starters won't show up in your Pokedex, but you can get 'em by breeding.

This video does a good job of explaining everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPH819OXSi4

Or this one, if you're playing the Japanese versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpoi-JXn-vc

The cloning glitch is very handy for cloning items, too, like TMs and Master Balls. :)

eefara

Update for the night: I (somehow) beat both Chuck and Jasmine, despite severe type disadvantages. I'm at the lake of rage now, trying to evolve Golbat and Togepi. I delayed Natu's evolution until level 30 so he could learn future sight, and he's now finally a Xatu.

Onix, Croconaw, and Magmar are temporarily getting the shaft until I get there two above evolved.

The lake of rage storyline is one of my favorites; I'm really going to enjoy going through it!

I thought it was kind of weird that they gave you the ability to use Strength outside of battle before you even get the TM. So everything after that I feel I'm doing in the wrong order. I made it to the lighthouse. Then I went to the Lake of Rage. HMs are just the worst.

MattyG

Banned
I think I saw this earlier but can't find the post now; saves won't transfer to a new 3DS? I was thinking of getting the Pokeball 2DS but maybe not if I'm going to lose my save.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thank God Rock Smash is only a TM in this Gen.

That's another mark against Gen III and IV for changing that.

Rock Smash is actually better as an HM as long as it appears early enough in the game. It's a great filler move for a ton of pokemon with its consistent defense drops and fighting typing.

Delio

Well then finished off Lance. My team is still the Feraligatr,Kadabra,Magmar and Stantler. Other than a scare on Karen's Houndoom i made it through perfectly fine.

Was zoning around in that little patch of green behind the building in the first route of the game looking for a Spearow at night (yeah I wasn't thinking haha!) when out of nowhere a Jigglypuff appeared! I don't know how rare they are but I immediately captured her. I'd use her but to evolve her I need a Moon Stone which won't be available until post game Kanto.

But she has sing though. Is there any other Pokémon in Johto that's obtainable early in-game that has a hypnosis or sing type move?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Was zoning around in that little patch of green behind the building in the first route of the game looking for a Spearow at night (yeah I wasn't thinking haha!) when out of nowhere a Jigglypuff appeared! I don't know how rare they are but I immediately captured her. I'd use her but to evolve her I need a Moon Stone which won't be available until post game Kanto.

But she has sing though. Is there any other Pokémon in Johto that's obtainable early in-game that has a hypnosis or sing type move?

If you have your mother save money for you she'll buy a Moon Stone at about 3k saved, which is nothing.

If you have your mother save money for you she'll buy a Moon Stone at about 3k saved, which is nothing.
Wait say what?! Do you just go to your house to pick it up once you reach 3000?

Also, is Wigglytuff a good Pokémon to have on your team? I already have the starters pm my team and I am planning to put Ho-Oh and Umbreon too so that would leave one slot.

dyreschlock

I've been going through online resources trying to design a team. It seems like several Gen I 'mon get screwed by the TM reshuffle. Thunderbolt is no longer a TM, so Jolteon can't learn it. Ice Beam isn't a TM either.

You could send a Gen II Jolteon back to Gen I, teach it Thunderbolt, and then send it back to Gen II, right?

Crayolan

I've been going through online resources trying to design a team. It seems like several Gen I 'mon get screwed by the TM reshuffle. Thunderbolt is no longer a TM, so Jolteon can't learn it. Ice Beam isn't a TM either.

You could send a Gen II Jolteon back to Gen I, teach it Thunderbolt, and then send it back to Gen II, right?

Pretty sure there's a move tutor which shows up in front of the game corner on certain days and teaches Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam in exchange for coins. Unless that's Crystal exclusive?

Pretty sure there's a move tutor which shows up in front of the game corner on certain days and teaches Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam in exchange for coins. Unless that's Crystal exclusive?

It looks like that is Crystal-only. That's quite a loss. Why are the movepools so bad? So if you have Jolteon, your only choice for an Electric attack is Tackle-level Thundershock, the horribly inaccurate Zap Cannon, or Thunder?

Ha ha, I see that you're reaching your breaking point.

Yes, yes I am. I don't know what I was thinking that I could resist the urge with Gen 2 games. Back when they were first released I put a unhealthy amount of time into Gold/Silver. I don't remember all the play throughs and all the countless teams I put together to use in Pokémon Stadium. I spent years playing Gold/Silver with Pokémon Stadium. I was so addicted that I didn't bother with gen 3 and eventually got burned out until I came back with gen 6.

Sadly I couldn't go use my GameStop credit to buy my copy of Silver today because being a dad is so awesome!!! But will be able to get it tomorrow along with the Pokémon Go Plus attachment.

Edit: damn... I don't know whether to go with the fire or water starter. They're both so good.

Edit 2: omg I can't fall asleep! It's 0140 in the morning and I'm sitting here thinking about how I can't fall asleep. I have to be up in about 3 hours. If this keeps up I'm going to have no energy to play this when I pick it up tomorrow.

It looks like that is Crystal-only. That's quite a loss. Why are the movepools so bad? So if you have Jolteon, your only choice for an Electric attack is Tackle-level Thundershock, the horribly inaccurate Zap Cannon, or Thunder?
To be fair in GS you're not getting Jolteon before Kanto.

Kirlia

Banned
Ack... I see. Thunderstones aren't available in Johto. Well, as long as we're sending something back to Gen I for Thunderbolt, we could send an Eevee back, and use a Thunderstone in Gen I, right?

As long as your Eevee does not know a Gen II move, it can be sent back to Gen I and be evolved/learn Thunderbolt.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far; got all three starters via the cloning glitch and have also cloned Pokemon for extra TMs. Putting Swift on Togepi makes it so much easier to raise. I'll also clone Pokemon for evolution stones (it's absurd how few of them there are in G/S) and Master Balls (for the legendary beasts and any possible wild shinies) later. I never did any glitches in G/S/C as a child, so it's pretty fun to try them out now.

I wonder if the whole "send red Gyarados back to Kanto, have a wild Ditto copy it, and send the Ditto to Gold/Silver and it'll be shiny" glitch still works. I haven't seen anything on that yet.

Also, does Heracross have the chance to run away in G/S too? Man, that's a downer if that's the case. I thought that rare Pokemon running away from you (except for the legendary beasts, who always run) was a Crystal-exclusive thing.

20 balls at an Aipom with 1hp and paralyzed. Still not caught. What the fuck

I fucking hate when this kind of shit happens in Pokemon games. God dammit. It's a wonder my Gameboys/DS's/3DS's have survived and not been broken from being thrown.

I remember that shit happened to me in HG/SS when they first came out. I was trying to catch Lugia. Had it down to a sliver of HP and kept putting it too sleep. Had 50 ultra balls. Went through them all and if my memory serves me right the damn thing struggled itself to death. Like what the hell, man? Just get in the damn ball! Don't kill yourself.

First of all that time! 10 hours is ridiculous

Second of all I could've sworn Red had a swole team and you marched in with 4 (my condolences if there were 6) pretty much all under 50 and bodied him?

X items are very, very OP.
To beat red underlevel you need something that can tank Pikachu, Ampharos in my case, and a buch of each relevant x item.
To be fair, Ampharos is one of the few Pokemon in the game that can be used for this strat and be fairly consistent about it. Raikou is another. Ground types should work too provided Red doesn't switch out Pikachu on them. I don't really know how his AI behaves. You also need to use Guard Spec. if you want to do this with a physical attacker as Pikachu spams Charm a lot.

My time was really helped by my team. I'm fairly certain that Feraligatr/Ampharos/Alazakam is one of the strongest teams you can have for a playthough, looking back on it.
The world record for the speed run for this game is 3:18 by the way. It also uses the above start to beat Red but with Feraligatr. Which is as risky as it sounds.

MicH

Man, the level curve in these games is completely broken. I admire them trying to make it up to you to choose whether you're going to Olivine or Mahogany first, but the game really suffers for it in the end :/

I don't like doubling up on typings for my in-game teams. It's quite difficult to do with GS because Waterfall has very stingy distribution and I feel like the game subconsciously pushes you towards using Red Gyarados because it learns Surf/Whirlpool/Waterfall.

Arcia

Banned

This is a little off topic from what you are talking about, but I just wanted to point out to everyone that Zap Cannon and Dynamicpunch don’t have to be innacurate if you don’t want them to be!

In Gen 1 and 2 the item X Accuracy doesn’t boost accuracy 1 level, it actually turns off accuracy checks for all moves used by that Pokemon for the whole battle. Using an X Accuracy effectively turns all of a Pokemon’s moves into Swift! So buy and use a bunch of X Accuracy and enjoy 100% accurate Dynamicpunch and Zap Cannon.

SaviourMK2

i've been a little slow because I had to take my father to the hospital. But So far, I just beat Falkner, I'm on my way to Azela and rocking:

Lv. 15 Totodile
Lv. 9 Zubat
Lv. 8 Mareep

I really want Porygon2 for my final team, so i figured if i want my R/B Pokemon in G/S I can trade Pokemon to my GF's Red version then transfer to my SIlver using Time Machine, the problem is, I can't evolve my Porygon into Porygon2....

Danielsan

Currently about 9 hours in. I have 6 badges and I'm now headed towards the Lake of Rage. My team feels (or rather, is) a bit shit though...

Quilava - lvl 28
Scyther - lvl 26
Jumpluff - lvl 29
Quagsire - lvl 28 (HM Strength / Surf)
Pidgeotto - lvl 20 (HM Fly)
Bellsprout - lvl 3 (HM Cut / Flash)

I hate that I can't evolve my Scyther, which make me consider dumping him, despite Scyther and Scizor always being my mains in OG Red/Silver. Quagsire is okay but he isn't great. I want to replace Pidgeotto because I'm bored of always having him on the team, but flying options are limited... Jumpluff was a pain in the ass to level up and still is horrible in the direct attack department, but leech seed + poison powder/sleep powder makes him fun to destroy trainers / gymleaders with. Bellsprout is just a random cut dude who happens to be able to flash as well.

Biggest issue so far has been that I've been trying to go with somewhat different pokémon than usual. Which has caused me to specifically not go for Feraligator, Ampharos, Umbreon, Gengar, Crobat and Scizor. Hasn't turned out that well so far... I'm considering restarting the game and trying to go through with a different team. On the other hand, I might as well just keep going and build a new team from where I am.

Top Bottom