• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

V-Faction

These two games turned a phenomenon into a legend. No games have captured me quite like G&S.

Goldenrod City for life. Silver ver. represent.

Stimpack

I have an unnatural hatred for all Pokémon that weren't the original Pokémon. I feel like the quality went real south real fast.

Chikorita? I don't think so.

Part of me wants to try playing Pokemon with custom rules like this, but I figure it mostly just gets frustrating with random critical hits taking out some of your best monsters. Also the Elite 4's gonna be hella impossible if you restrict yourself from reviving your underleveled replacement monsters :V

I won't deny it can get frustrating at times but its always been more fun then frustrating and I've lost my starter before the first gyms before. When I did a Nuzlocke on the R/S remakes I lost my starter and only super effective Pokemon I had was a freaking Wingull going into the fight which died fairly quickly and I literally clutched it out with a Silacoon and Cascoon one that only knew harden the other had Poison sting, I literally poisoned the Nosepass and almost died then threw the other one out and hardened up until the poison killed it. Easily the most impressive victory I've had and it was only at the first gym! XD

Both evolved from that fight and I made it all the way to the 8th gym before I eventually wiped.

Gold/Silver and the remakes are some of the hardest to Nuzlocke because of grinding but like I said in my original post I don't suspect that I'll actually be able to win but we'll see what happens if I can get the right Pokemon and moveset to sweep Lance I'll grind out levels for days if I have to XD

Seriously though, try a Nuzlocke. Don't let the fear of frustration make you avoid doing what I consider one of the most unique and interesting challenges you can really have in gaming.

I have an unnatural hatred for all Pokémon that weren't the original Pokémon. I feel like the quality went real south real fast.

Chikorita? I don't think so.
A lot of Gold and Silver designs were designed with the original 151 but were moved to Gold and Silver later.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Probably gonna buy a copies for my kids. They should have fun.

Still wish this was on Switch, but is what it is at this juncture.

rj118

A lot of Gold and Silver designs were designed with the original 151 but were moved to Gold and Silver later.

That's probably why I find the gen 1 & 2 designs so endearing. Every gen past 2 has had some definite winners, but those have been in the minority.

eefara

Seriously though, try a Nuzlocke. Don't let the fear of frustration make you avoid doing what I consider one of the most unique and interesting challenges you can really have in gaming.

I'm considering doing a Nuzlocke for gold after I finish silver. I've never done one before, but it's been on my wishlist for about forever.

Nuzlockes are the default way I play the games now lol. They're a lot of fun.

Agreed. I was pretty sick of Pokemon after B/W but Nuzlockes brought me back in and they keep the games interesting to this day. Even doing a Nuzlocke again when I just failed can be a lot of fun because you can end up with completely different teams making each run surprisingly different.

Ding ding. People keep forgetting this.

It was amazing, yeah. However Johto was small for it. Kanto was empty. The story was minimal. There was just little to do.

The story being minimal is a good thing in retrospect.

Johto never felt underdeveloped to me.

eefara

The story being minimal is a good thing in retrospect.

Johto never felt underdeveloped to me.

I gotta agree. Maybe it's just because I was a kid, but I've never thought that Johto suffered because of Kanto. These re-releases will be a good chance to look over everything with fresh eyes, though the nostalgia may be too strong.

Gold is my favorite Pokemon game by far, nothing has ever come close.

It's still soo good.

Sad to compare it to how much I detested Sun.

Agreed. I was pretty sick of Pokemon after B/W but Nuzlockes brought me back in and they keep the games interesting to this day. Even doing a Nuzlocke again when I just failed can be a lot of fun because you can end up with completely different teams making each run surprisingly different.

Yep. I can't play a Pokémon game any other way now. The stakes just aren't high enough so there is no pressure and it's just mash A + heal until you win. I have still yet to beat B/W or X/Y but it's the only way to enjoy the games.

I still remember beating the 8 gyms in Johto and being told "hey go east a bit see what's over thar"

WHAT THE FUCK I'M IN PALLET TOWN?! THE WHOLE FIRST GAME IS IN THIS ONE?!

My 11 year old brain basically exploded at that point. Every pokemon game since then has been a let down. Will be getting Silver down the road when I've got time. I beat the crap out of Yellow last year when it came out.

I gotta agree. Maybe it's just because I was a kid, but I've never thought that Johto suffered because of Kanto. These re-releases will be a good chance to look over everything with fresh eyes, though the nostalgia may be too strong.

I've played through them recently and I still enjoy them jankiness and all. Though I'm still mad there's no Crystal... Yet

entremet

I know people love this game but the Pokemon distribution is really bad. Even when I played it originally, I hated that about it.

dawgparty

Debating whether or not its worth it to do the starters glitch and get everyone. I was always really charmed by all 3 of the main ones.

Also this game just reopens the old wound of Ledian being complete dogshit. My favorite Pokemon design and using it even for the main game would probably be a very uphill battle.

They honestly didn't get good at that until maybe Emerald and even then you still had stuff like DP's Pokedex.
It's weird how they introduced Dark type in Gen II as a beefier counter to Psychic, but then you can't actually catch one until Ice Cavern (iirc? I think Sneasel is the first one you can get, not counting Umbreon). So, you know. Right before the eighth badge. Just in time!

Ruby/Sapphire gives you Poochyena right off the bat.

Even DP with it's crummy selection I almost had my endgame team before Badge 2 (Infernape, Luxray, Staraptor, Roserade, Gastrodon, filled out with Lucario when you get him). Of course, if you want a Fire-type it's either Chimchar or Ponyta and that really sucked. I was glad Platinum added Houndour as he's one of my favorites, but I almost never use him because he rarely shows up early enough to be useful.

Debating whether or not its worth it to do the starters glitch and get everyone. I was always really charmed by all 3 of the main ones.

Also this game just reopens the old wound of Ledian being complete dogshit. My favorite Pokemon design and using it even for the main game would probably be a very uphill battle.

Ledian still sucks though

It's weird how they introduced Dark type in Gen II as a beefier counter to Psychic, but then you can't actually catch one until Ice Cavern (iirc? I think Sneasel is the first one you can get, not counting Umbreon). So, you know. Right before the eighth badge. Just in time!

Ruby/Sapphire gives you Poochyena right off the bat.

Even DP with it's crummy selection I almost had my endgame team before Badge 2 (Infernape, Luxray, Staraptor, Roserade, Gastrodon, filled out with Lucario when you get him). Of course, if you want a Fire-type it's either Chimchar or Ponyta and that really sucked. I was glad Platinum added Houndour as he's one of my favorites, but I almost never use him because he rarely shows up early enough to be useful.

Yeah but when I talk distribution I'm talking about like the issue with Dark types in GSC or Fire in Mostly every Gen. They really didn't wise up until Gen 3 but the issue has come back more than once

Can't wait to own this game again. Fuck whoever stole my copy in the 4th (or was it 5th) grade.

Can't explain it, but despite all the QoL improvements, I like the originals more than the remakes. They just never FELT the same to me. So while I definitely enjoyed HeartGold when it came out, this is the shit I've been waiting for.

Planning out my team now.

Heracross
Lantern
Typhlosion
Kingdra (if I can find someone to trade with)
Crobat
Sneasel

Let's fucking go!

Ok, so Silver was my first ever Pokemon game. I think I'm going to start with Gold and use Totodile as my starter. I've always liked Cyndaquil the most, but I'm digging Totodile. I really hope it's true about Crystal, I've never played Crystal before.

Nuzlockes are the default way I play the games now lol. They're a lot of fun.

I do this too, but man...

The last time I played gold I made it to somewhere between Gym 7 and 8 and lost my whole fucking team to some bullshit.

It was super disheartening.

Any notable upgrades to the original, even subtle ones?

I don't want to be the guy who asks where this stands toe to toe with emulators, my main thing is the hardware it's on is not my favorite to use.

Junahu

Planning out my team now.

Heracross
I hope you enjoy using literally nothing other than Horn Attack. Heracross' learnpool is absolutely disgusting in generation 2. You're looking at
no fighting type STAB whatsoever, and no bug type moves until level 54

Edit: You could teach it
Rock Smash (20bp) and Fury Cutter (10bp). But they're objectively worse than just using Horn Attack

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I have a quick question I heard that if you do the glitch to get all starter Pokemon in the game the first two Pokemon you glitch won't be registered in your Pokedex unless you breed them or trade for a new one.

So the question is couldn't I circumvent this is issue by simply glitching an extra starter of the opposite gender and breed the Dex filler myself?

The last time I played gold I made it to somewhere between Gym 7 and 8 and lost my whole fucking team to some bullshit.

That's the one thing. I played X/Y recently and slowly watched as my team got picked off over the course of the 6th and 7th badge. I can live with that. But when your whole team or a majority of your team and when it's your bangers gets wiped due to 5% chance of missing, rogue crit or otherworldly shenanigans? That shit hurts

Stimpack

That's weird, because a lot of them just seem very different in style.

But, thanks! I had no idea. Is there a specific reason we to why they were left out?

Robin64

Planning on purchasing this. Have they fixed the cloning and Celebi glitch?

No, they still work.

They disabled the button combo to reset during saving, but seemed to forget that the Virtual Console emulator itself has a reset button which works just as well.

I did a blind Nuzlocke for Sun and Moon and got wiped at the Electric trial. I had no idea the trial would immediately start the way it did and I was completely unprepared. Still, I love Nuzlocke and it's the only way I can play Pokémon single player.

Richie

Can't wait to own this game again. Fuck whoever stole my copy in the 4th (or was it 5th) grade.

Can't explain it, but despite all the QoL improvements, I like the originals more than the remakes. They just never FELT the same to me. So while I definitely enjoyed HeartGold when it came out, this is the shit I've been waiting for.

Having beaten Soul Silver a week ago, I agree whole(gold)heartedly. The QOL changes were appreciated, and I dug the redesigns to the gyms, but I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought the remakes lost tons of atmosphere from the originals. Enough that I'll snatch one of the VC games down the road. That in doing so I'll have a much smoother, easier time transfering Pokémon than I will from Soul Silver only helps matters.

P.S. Sorry about the copy man, it was just too tempting a game, I have been a good boy since.

That's weird, because a lot of them just seem very different in style.

But, thanks! I had no idea. Is there a specific reason we to why they were left out?
One kind of cool part of the GS Pokémon that makes them unique, to me, is the colors they picked for them

Most Pokémon seem to be pastel colored, which is the color range the GBC seemed best suited to handle. It gives the gen a sort of rustic look to it.

So I bought Silver online instead of directly through the eshop after the announcement of the Celebi thing. In my error, I forgot to screencap or write down the code for the Celebi and home menu theme.

It doesn't look like the receipt is on the eshop though. Does it only appear when the game is available? Should I contact Nintendo about it?

Top Bottom