• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Salaadin

Whats the deal with this Extremspeed dratini? My sister answered the questions correctly and went back with 5 pokemon (after getting the badge and TM from claire) yet he isnt giving her anything.

Do you need to beat E4 first or something?

D-Pad

That has to be the longest VR ever. I'm actually exhausted. If it weren't for the mid-point heal house I would had to do a major trek back. I made it to IP finally.... With mid-30level Pokemon. Compared to Platinum this game has been really easy going on the levels. Then again, Pokemon Platinum was a bitch
for me

Question(s): I'm not going to be against a lot of ice moves am I? My team sucks again ice. Any moves I can teach them to take down ice? Where the heck is TM Brick Break in this game?

Feraligator, Crobat*, Gyarados, Marowak*, Dragonair*, and Electabuzz.

I have to berries to reduce damage from ice type moves but I don't think that's going to help much... And I used the last of the trainers on Dragonair so I'm not willing to train anything else. Oh well, we'll train some on VR and see how it goes.

Edit -

Salaadin said:
Whats the deal with this Extremspeed dratini? My sister answered the questions correctly and went back with 5 pokemon (after getting the badge and TM from claire) yet he isnt giving her anything.

You need to exit the cave completely first, and then walk back in.

Salaadin said:

You need to go back out of the Dragon's Den, then visit Clair in her Gym so she can give you a TM, then back into the Dragon's Den to get the Dratini. I couldn't work out why he wasn't coughing up the thing either :lol

D-Pad said:
Question(s): I'm not going to be against a lot of ice moves am I? My team sucks again ice. Any moves I can teach them to take down ice? Where the heck is TM Brick Break in this game?

As far as I remember the only Ice type is the first trainer's Jynx, and Jynx will go down to almost any Physical move. Maybe one of Lance's Dragonites might know Ice Beam, I'm not sure.

Just picked up Silver & a DSi XL
March29th2010-NintendoDSiXL008Large.jpg

I haven't owned a DS since they first came out... And it has been just as long if not longer since I last played a pokemon game.

I am about an hour into it and loving every minute, it is so so familiar with just enough 'new' to keep me interested and surprised.

Still trying to figure out how to use the Pokewalker that I got with it... Am I correct in understanding that my primary pokemon cannot be the one I have 'on' the walker?

cdyhybrid

Devin Olsen said:
Still trying to figure out how to use the Pokewalker that I got with it... Am I correct in understanding that my primary pokemon cannot be the one I have 'on' the walker?

Pokemon have to be in the storage PC to be put onto the Walker.

Harpuia

Wow,
Red
is impossible. What is the minimum level to be able to beat him? I'm guessing level 70? Jeez, his first pokemon obliterated half my team....

cabottemp

Banned
forgive me for asking this, but i'm a n00b.

It's my understanding that it's possible to obtain every pokemon ever by playing HG/SS with the exception of pikachu, squirtle, bulbasar, and charmander. is this true?

Harpuia

cabot said:
forgive me for asking this, but i'm a n00b.

It's my understanding that it's possible to obtain every pokemon ever by playing HG/SS with the exception of pikachu, squirtle, bulbasar, and charmander. is this true?

Nope, you can't catch a lot of the sinnoh pokemon, a couple of the legends from hoenn and sinnoh. But you can catch quite a lot of pokemon.

http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

Here's a full list. As you can see, it's pretty short.

MOTHERFUCK. I have been raising my pilowswine for the last 2 days only to finally learn i cant get ancient power until after i beat the elite four. NOOOOOO.

Harpuia

Gamer @ Heart said:
MOTHERFUCK. I have been raising my pilowswine for the last 2 days only to finally learn i cant get ancient power until after i beat the elite four. NOOOOOO.

You can evolve piloswine into mamoswine. You just need a heart scale and being able to access the move tutor in Blackthorn.

cabottemp

Banned
Harpuia said:
Nope, you can't catch a lot of the sinnoh pokemon, a couple of the legends from hoenn and sinnoh. But you can catch quite a lot of pokemon.

http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

Here's a full list. As you can see, it's pretty short.

Thanks for the reply, dude.

So my cousin has platinum and I know that monferno is in it. so i couldn't trade with him and bring his monferno into my soul silver?

again, my apologies; i'm sure this is a REALLY stupid question. SS is my first pokemon game.

Echoes

Time: 84h
Pokedex: 175

I'm chasing the roamers, then will go after
Articuno and Zapdos
. Caught
Groudon
yesterday.

I'm replaying the old games to stock up on items\TMs...etc; if anybody wants anything in specefic just PM me. Yes, I will give a Master Ball.

Poyunch

Gamer @ Heart said:
: 0

: (

I dont have a heart scale. Whats the best way to get it?
I've found a few through the Pokewalker and apparently you can get lucky with rock smash. Oh and on Saturdays you can buy them at the Pokeathlon dome.

Harpuia

Gamer @ Heart said:
: 0

: (

I dont have a heart scale. Whats the best way to get it?

If you've never gotten a heart scale, there's a freebie on route...32 I believe? The route right below Violet city. It's on a rock by the little river around where the pier is. You can't miss the rock, it's on a small rock right next to a bunch of bigger rocks. If you ever need more, you'll have to keep smashing rocks with rock smash.

Animatik

Neo Member
Just caught Lugia, took a nice hand full of pokeballs of all kinds but an ultraball eventually got the job done. I didnt like the theme for Lugia though. Is that the general theme for the legends in silver?

Gravijah

Animatik said:
Just caught Lugia, took a nice hand full of pokeballs of all kinds but an ultraball eventually got the job done. I didnt like the theme for Lugia though. Is that the general theme for the legends in silver?

Nah. Ho-Oh and Lugia each have their own, and the roaming dog/cat/beasts each have their own. Not sure on the others.

Harpuia said:
If you've never gotten a heart scale, there's a freebie on route...32 I believe? The route right below Violet city. It's on a rock by the little river around where the pier is. You can't miss the rock, it's on a small rock right next to a bunch of bigger rocks. If you ever need more, you'll have to keep smashing rocks with rock smash.

Cool. Ill get it asap.

Any tips on where to get a dragon scale easily too? I want my kingdra : )

Dogenzaka

Banned
Am I the only one who gets DEEPLY annoyed when a beautiful game box is damaged?
I put my SS box in my suitcase during my roadtrip. I had heavy books in there, but thought the box was sturdy enough to withstand it and didn't really think much about it when I threw it in there because we were late.

Well I got to my destination, opened the bag, and the bottom was pretty dented and the corner has the shiny wrapping ripped off to reveal a cardboard tip.

I was horrified.

I guess I'm just dramatic lol.

Teknoman

Whoo just caught a Magby on the Pokewalker :D All thanks to Eevee.

I'm a fan of battle animations...so I cant help but wonder how the game looks without them. Are there any effects at all?

Gravijah

Teknoman said:
Whoo just caught a Magby on the Pokewalker :D All thanks to Eevee.

I'm a fan of battle animations...so I cant help but wonder how the game looks without them. Are there any effects at all?

I miss them sometimes, but I much prefer the static pre-battle animation over the things in game. Just feels more Pokemony to me.

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
The Pokemon sort of fades in and out when hit but that's about it. Battles are a lot faster that way.

Made it to the last gym before the Elite 4, everything has been pretty easy so far since Whitney and her friggin' breast feeding Miltank. Got my Haunter evolved into a Gengar via the GTS trick where you offer your 'evolves-upon-trading' pokemon up for trade, complete a different trade, then take the original pokemon back. Awesome times.

I've got a Timid Ditto that I've pretty much bred out in terms of making my team. Would anyone with a Larvitar, Munchlax, Skarmory or Rotom be willing to trade? I know I'm going out on a limb here 'cus Timid Ditto ain't that rare, but I'm trying my best to avoid having to buy a copy of Platinum/Emerald to construct my dream team. I've got a few other things I could offer as well, (chikorita, piplup, naive chimchar & vulpix) just let me know via PM.

Unicorn

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally got the Soundtrack!
Includes a 3rd disc that contains all the original 8-bit music!:D

Also, I've added everyone that sent me a PM and for the rest of the night tonight i'll be on handing out male Growlithe that know Flare Blitz, Morning Sun, and Sunny Day!

Shoot me a PM if you haven't already and would like one!

1333-9906-6884
Unicorn

Axis

Blue_Gecko said:
Made it to the last gym before the Elite 4, everything has been pretty easy so far since Whitney and her friggin' breast feeding Miltank. Got my Haunter evolved into a Gengar via the GTS trick where you offer your 'evolves-upon-trading' pokemon up for trade, complete a different trade, then take the original pokemon back. Awesome times.

I've got a Timid Ditto that I've pretty much bred out in terms of making my team. Would anyone with a Larvitar, Munchlax, Skarmory or Rotom be willing to trade? I know I'm going out on a limb here 'cus Timid Ditto ain't that rare, but I'm trying my best to avoid having to buy a copy of Platinum/Emerald to construct my dream team. I've got a few other things I could offer as well, (chikorita, piplup, naive chimchar & vulpix) just let me know via PM.

i've got a larvitar you can have...adamant/jolly fine?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Firestorm said:
Amount of time I lasted before turning off battle animations: 3:40

Not bad.

I've been playing since Red, and this is my first Pokemon game where I realized I could turn off my battle animations.

My playtime has likely been cut in half thanks to it :D

I also didn't know running increases your encounter chances.

It's been frustrating the past decade or so to go in caves and grass and last more than 10 seconds per encounter for Pokemon, run, and then run into a new Pokemon 2 seconds later. XD

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:

Also, I've added everyone that sent me a PM and for the rest of the night tonight i'll be on handing out male Growlithe that know Flare Blitz, Morning Sun, and Sunny Day!

OMG

WHERE
MUSIC
*hyperventilates*

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
OMG

WHERE
MUSIC
*hyperventilates*
Google CD Japan and you'll find it pretty easily.

$40 bucks for me and it took a couple weeks to arrive. about to pop the soundtrack into my Stereo now!

Also, I have you added since you PMed me about a Growlithe. I'm online now and I'll be online all of tomorrow... so now's the time to grab it:lol

Echoes

When you hatch an egg it's Lv1 in HGSS. Has it always been like that? I don't know why I thought it was Lv5.

Edit: Unicorn, are you available after about 10 hours? That's when I'm home.

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:
I've been playing since Red, and this is my first Pokemon game where I realized I could turn off my battle animations.

My playtime has likely been cut in half thanks to it :D

I also didn't know running increases your encounter chances.

It's been frustrating the past decade or so to go in caves and grass and last more than 10 seconds per encounter for Pokemon, run, and then run into a new Pokemon 2 seconds later. XD
Oh wow. I've been turning them off since Red Version. I usually start out with animations on and then get annoyed with them (because let's face it, you use the same two or three attacks for most of the early hours) and then turn them off.

I think this is the first game that running shoes increase encounter rate? I'm not too sure as I think Pearl and Fire Red were the only other games I played with running shoes.

Unicorn

Echoes said:
When you hatch an egg it's Lv1 in HGSS. Has it always been like that? I don't know why I thought it was Lv5.

Edit: Unicorn, are you available after about 10 hours? That's when I'm home.
Ten hours from now would be about 9 A.M. my time. I'm sure I'll be up by then. I have a lot of writing I need to do for this contest I'm going to enter, So my DS will be lingering then. :lol

Unicorn said:

1333-9906-6884
Unicorn

Where did you buy it and how much? Play-Asia hasn't restocked it -_-

I've been terrified of using repel just in case I see a shiny. I hate the encounter rate, but I don't want to reduce it.

Argh!

Also, is Stantler any good? I caught one last night on my way to Ecruteak.

Finally, what's a good pokemon with Flame Body? I'm breeding some Totodiles and want to speed the process up a little.

Unicorn

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I've been terrified of using repel just in case I see a shiny. I hate the encounter rate, but I don't want to reduce it.

Argh!

Also, is Stantler any good? I caught one last night on my way to Ecruteak.

Finally, what's a good pokemon with Flame Body? I'm breeding some Totodiles and want to speed the process up a little.
I got some magby with the ability. Could perhaps grab one from Pearl to trade you.

PM me about it.

about to do some cleaning around my room... Still haven't seen anyone in the wifi room to grab a Growlithe from me.

These have Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, and Sunny Day!
All the ones up for trade are male so you can breed for your own natures and IVs

Unicorn said:
I got some magby with the ability. Could perhaps grab one from Pearl to trade you.

PM me about it.

about to do some cleaning around my room... Still haven't seen anyone in the wifi room to grab a Growlithe from me.

These have Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, and Sunny Day!
All the ones up for trade are male so you can breed for your own natures and IVs
I'd love to, but I'm not at home tonight and I'm not game to mess around with my girlfriend's Internet.

Friggin' WEP >:-(

Can I take a raincheck on that until later in the week? I'll trade you a Totodile.

Top Bottom