• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

*Splinter

Sophia claimed under pressure yet saying it was for no reason at all.
Only reveals more info after more pressure the next day.
Claims to be one-shot, thus is even more weakened than it would already be in town's hands.

You forgot about arguing that a double voter can't be scum? I don't believe you. You even responded to these accusations back then. In fact you are the one big advocate of letting Soph/Star live and responded to me whenever I tried to put pressure on her. I don't understand why you feel the need to defend one person in this game.

We clearly have opposing views on this case and I garantue you if Star flips scum I'll be hunting you down.
Ok I thought it would be more than that.

@ the bolded: I didn't say this. I said double vote is more likely town than scum. That's a huge difference to "double vote can't be scum", don't put words in my mouth.

I agree her initial reveal was scummy - I'm sure I even said as much before. I also agree that 1 shot suggests more scum than town, but I didn't say that because I wanted to see what Sophia would claim.

I think the "more info" you refer to is her being x shot? I don't see her reluctance there as scummy, totally reasonable for town to keep that hidden.

And that's it? That's essentially: "she has a double vote, which could be scum, so we should lynch her. The only scummy behaviour you can point to is her claim?

I disagree if you think this was a better lead then Flush, even moreso if you think it's better than TheG.

For the record, I don't town read Sophia. The only thing I give her credit for is giving up a shot of her PR. If she really was a scum 1 shot double then this brings lylo forward a day, I don't think she's give that up unless she felt she had no choice.

I don't town read Sketch either but for the situation she's been put in there was really only one way to play, so of course I can't town read it.

Overall? Still a scumread, but significantly weakened by her double vote usage, as I said.

Gorlak

Banned
If TheGoddamn is telling the truth, he lives, thus:
his Roleblocking of Pokemon captured would be confirmed with his survival
It's already been confirmed by El Topo.
he'll have neatly yet temporarily erased the danger of the 2nd killer without harming them, and provide an opportunity for any Investigator amongst us to find out the 2nd killer's alignment while we suss out TheGoddamnTrainer's alignment via this plan
2nd killer may only comply if he's town and in that case we would have neatly revealed him to scum.
we'd have a gauge of what his alignment is as a Trainer, if scum do not grab the opportunity to kill him Tonight while he is left exposed with this plan; meaning, if he survives, he's likely a scum-aligned Trainer, so then we lynch him ASAP Tomorrow so we can free the 2nd killer from TheGoddamn's nullification effect, and thereafter, the Doctor continues to protect the 2nd killer every Night or until the Investigator confirms whether or not the 2nd killer's a Neutral or a Vigilante
So we expose the Vig and kill TheG whatsoever. The plan won't work if you say "either scum will nk him or if not we will lynch him asap.
[*]we are free to lynch someone else Today, and let this situation sort itself out during the Night via the 2nd killer
Who do you want to lynch?
If TheGoddamn and his Pokemon are lying, he dies, thus:
  • we get rid of a potentially scum-aligned Mass Roleblocker via the 2nd killer

• We wouldn't get rid, he does roleblock pkmn, it's already confirmed.
    [*]we get a lead on SophStar, the last Pokemon in his team and a real point of contention the last few Days regarding her apparently 1-shot Doublevote (which might be x-shot due to a balance nerf because she's really scum-aligned)
    What lead?
    [*]the 2nd killer uses their ability for a good cause in the form of Investigation-by-fire, rather than a blind, uninformed shot based on the mere hope of getting lucky
    He wouldn't use it at all, because of the block.

It's Blarg, I always find it hard to distinguish between jokes and seriousness with Blarg, since his serious posts are often also written in a jokingly way. I found his Ynnek breadcrumb idea to be pretty farfetched for example, and that one was serious.But sure, even if I remove that point from his record, he is still very suspicious imo.

7lJfCyT.jpg

Gorlak

Banned
It's Blarg, I always find it hard to distinguish between jokes and seriousness with Blarg, since his serious posts are often also written in a jokingly way. I found his Ynnek breadcrumb idea to be pretty farfetched for example, and that one was serious.But sure, even if I remove that point from his record, he is still very suspicious imo.

I'm pretty sure ninetails was a joke as you can see by the discussion between them just now. The Ynnek breadcrumb didn't seem farfetched to me and I was leaning to believe the same, what is suspicious about that one is his ongoing desire to vote Ynnek without any further reason though.

Stanley: Why did you double vote? What were you trying to do?

i did it on the off chance that the Mod-message would be different than the one directed to sophia, maybe giving some clue as to if she had been roleblocked or and used up all shots or whatever the mystery was at the time.

very unlikely to work, but i figured it was worth the shot

Gorlak

Banned
I think the "more info" you refer to is her being x shot? I don't see her reluctance there as scummy, totally reasonable for town to keep that hidden.

Reluctance to reveal fluff and pkmn name. Somewhere someone argued being able to be caught by using a wrong name, maybe it was Sophia? Striked me as odd, usually scum has fake names, so why would she think otherwise? Does she know more?

Overall? Still a scumread, but significantly weakened by her double vote usage, as I said.

Well, at least we have that sorted for now.

---
Why do you assume we have three trainers in the game and nothing more? Sawneeks did this earlier as well and an answer from her would be appreciated. How does that make any sense? Have a bigger faction but only two competing town factions of which one trainer is already dead?
How would a sole scum trainer have the same super win condition when there are no competing factions anymore?

Gorlak

Banned
TheG is a roleblocking trainer who can chat with his pokemon. This differs from Ty who had no power and couldn't chat with them. Right now this difference is what people vote him for.

I need you to reveal your name TheG.

Gorlak

Banned
Why invigilate and not scum? El Topo came forward with new info on being captured, does that makes him suspicious enough for another townie to NK him?

I'm sorry but it's obviously a mafia PR.

Why are you fishing for the Vigilante?

Why is it obviously a mafia PR? Who killed Ty in that case? Or are you saying scum had two kills?

*Splinter

Reluctance to reveal fluff and pkmn name. Somewhere someone argued being able to be caught by using a wrong name, maybe it was Sophia? Striked me as odd, usually scum has fake names, so why would she think otherwise? Does she know more?

Well, at least we have that sorted for now.

---
Why do you assume we have three trainers in the game and nothing more? Sawneeks did this earlier as well and an answer from her would be appreciated. How does that make any sense? Have a bigger faction but only two competing town factions of which one trainer is already dead?
How would a sole scum trainer have the same super win condition when there are no competing factions anymore?
I don't assume that, although based on nothing I suspect it, there could always be more. We only have evidence of 3 though, technically when I say 3 I mean "at least 3", it's just awkward to talk around and doesn't seem a big deal.

I don't understand your question about a scum trainer. Presumably they would need a bigger team size than the other trainers, regardless of alignment?

Gorlak

Banned
I don't assume that, although based on nothing I suspect it, there could always be more. We only have evidence of 3 though, technically when I say 3 I mean "at least 3", it's just awkward to talk around and doesn't seem a big deal.

I don't understand your question about a scum trainer. Presumably they would need a bigger team size than the other trainers, regardless of alignment?

Town trainer can only achieve super win con if town wins, this means they are not able to compete against a scum trainer in case scum wins.

(I'll have to check your earlier post, but it looked like you were pretty confident about having only 3 trainers and this seems to be a way to rephrase a mistake)

*Splinter

Town trainer can only achieve super win con if town wins, this means they are not able to compete against a scum trainer in case scum wins.

(I'll have to check your earlier post, but it looked like you were pretty confident about having only 3 trainers and this seems to be a way to rephrase a mistake)
Yeah but the town trainer might still have the bigger team at the end, in which case scum win but noone gets the special win.

Gorlak

Banned
FTR: I still townread Dusk and lately melon crawls towards a townread.

Leaning scum on StarSketch. Feeling bad about CM. Roy is still a gut scum read.

Vote: Lone_prodigy
Because you know what, this guy is still in the game and pretty inactive!

Gorlak

Banned
Yeah but the town trainer might still have the bigger team at the end, in which case scum win but noone gets the special win.

Superior Win Condition: However, you will be granted a superior victory over all other groups, if during the end of the game, your Pokémon team is the bigger when compared to other town factions. You can try to reach this special Superior Win Condition only, if the normal win condition is also fulfilled.

So would a scum faction be compared to town? I don't think this would happen. Without any further flips it's really hard to make a call on TheG.

As I said, I need his name. The permanent roleblock seems anti-town, would the chat distinction be a scum addition?

My problem is it looks like we are about to lynch him solely on game mechanic assumptions rather than scummy behaviour. Tough decision, I'll be back later.

*Splinter

So would a scum faction be compared to town? I don't think this would happen. Without any further flips it's really hard to make a call on TheG.

As I said, I need his name. The permanent roleblock seems anti-town, would the chat distinction be a scum addition?

My problem is it looks like we are about to lynch him solely on game mechanic assumptions rather than scummy behaviour. Tough decision, I'll be back later.
Huh... That is weird...

That suggests that either all trainers are town or we have an absolute shit load of trainers (at least 4, anyway). I thought 3 sounded like a lot...

And you're right that the lynch isn't ideal. It's not giving us information, and I have no idea what TheG will flip (although he became more scummy today I think), but his role is so bad I wouldn't even mind so much if he flips town, I think we're better off without it. That's, ultimately, why I decided we should lynch him today rather than wait for more info.

uggghhhh, thesis defense

What happened to players just doing what I say because everyone knows it's for their own good?

I miss those Days

*sigh*

It's already been confirmed by El Topo.

Really? When?

2nd killer may only comply if he's town and in that case we would have neatly revealed him to scum.

Hence the Doctor bit, yeah

So we expose the Vig and kill TheG whatsoever. The plan won't work if you say "either scum will nk him or if not we will lynch him asap.

I'm not asking scum to kill TheGoddamn, I'm asking the Vig/SK to attempt to kill TheGoddamn whilst said Vig/SK is under hypothetical Doctor protection while TheGoddamn attempts to capture/Roleblock said Vig/SK

then let Burb sort it out

Who do you want to lynch?

like, for real?

SalvaPot, probably

We wouldn't get rid, he does roleblock pkmn, it's already confirmed.

Really? When?

What lead [on Soph/Star]?

TheGoddamn's flip -> comparison of its info to her claims

He wouldn't use it at all, because of the block.

but in the scenario of that line you quoted there, TheGoddamn was lying and thus would be dead because his Mass Roleblock wouldn't be real and therefore the Vig/SK kill would hit him unopposed

this has been my view/problem with this entire day phase.
its my opinions that the people in the game dont know shit about the games balance until it is explicitly told to them,
making calls on what we think we know is just asking for mistakes with nothing to show for them.

anyway.

THE WHEEL HAS SPOKEN

vote: Lone_Prodigy

(please note the the wheel only included players i am not against lynching)
(side effects may vary)

Verelios

Oh man, it's really late so I'm just going to jot down some pros/cons of lynching TheGoddamn or Star.

Pro for TGD:
-Find out if there's a scum alignment team or not(maybe different town team from Ty4on)
-PR's are protected
-Lynch Star if he flips scum
-Start the scum hunt

Cons:
-maybe lose information if he's town
-Hard to say if Star is scum or not from his flip
-Vig probably won't bother killing him either way so he's back for day 4 if he's scum

Pros for Star:
-Lynch Goddamn if star flips scum
-If flips scum, proves there are scum Pokemon
-Look back at who Sophia did/didn't interact with

Con:
-No way to really know if TGD is a scum trainer with her flip
-If flips town then that hurts

Burbeting

Banned
gorlak (0)
sawneeks 1621 (1651)

lone_prodigy (2)
sophia 1626 (1639)
gorlak 2017
stanleypalmtree 2028

thegoddamn (6)
sawneeks 1651
*splinter 1660 (1884)
sophia 1720 (1720)
sophia 1720 (1720)
salvapot 1880
starsketch 1882
*splinter 1884
dusk soldier 1898
ynnek7 1907

starsketch (0)
dusk soldier 1771 (1898)

stanleypalmtree (0)
stanleypalmtree 1773 (1782)
stanleypalmtree 1773 (1782)

roytheone (0)
gorlak 1793 (1801)

*splinter (0)
gorlak 1801 (2017)

ynnek7 (3)
nin1000 1822
thegoddamn 1915
blargonaut 1925

blargonaut (1)
roytheone 1957

*Splinter

For a more serious answer, here is your contribution to the last 24 hours:

suddenly nin is legit on fire. i like this.

well iv spent this day going around in goddamn circles after my every read has proven to be almost completely incorrect. and iv had a lot of trouble trying to start again since all anyone seems to be discussing today is game mechanic speculation. something that i really dont like putting my stock in.
right now im tempted to go along with the TheG lynch if only to help demystify this game and give myself and others a better idea only where to go from here.

oh goody, now im back to not wanting star or TheG to be lynched.

i did it on the off chance that the Mod-message would be different than the one directed to sophia, maybe giving some clue as to if she had been roleblocked or and used up all shots or whatever the mystery was at the time.

very unlikely to work, but i figured it was worth the shot

something something farfetched something

HA! try figuring out which one it is now scum!

clever-cat-guessing-shell-game-correctly.gif

oh hey, 7 hours till the day ends, and i need to sleep.

excuse me while i go spin the roulette wheel of slight alterations to fate.

this has been my view/problem with this entire day phase.
its my opinions that the people in the game dont know shit about the games balance until it is explicitly told to them,
making calls on what we think we know is just asking for mistakes with nothing to show for them.

anyway.

THE WHEEL HAS SPOKEN

vote: Lone_Prodigy

(please note the the wheel only included players i am not against lynching)
(side effects may vary)
"I might vote The G"
"Nah I won't vote The G"
"Here is why I did this strange thing"
"Here is a picture of a cat"
"I'm going to sleep"
"Definitely sleep. This vote has no weight behind it btw so don't sweat it"

*Splinter

Oh man, it's really late so I'm just going to jot down some pros/cons of lynching TheGoddamn or Star.

Pro for TGD:
-Find out if there's a scum alignment team or not(maybe different town team from Ty4on)
-PR's are protected
-Lynch Star if he flips scum
-Start the scum hunt

Cons:
-maybe lose information if he's town
-Hard to say if Star is scum or not from his flip
-Vig probably won't bother killing him either way so he's back for day 4 if he's scum

Pros for Star:
-Lynch Goddamn if star flips scum
-If flips scum, proves there are scum Pokemon
-Look back at who Sophia did/didn't interact with

Con:
-No way to really know if TGD is a scum trainer with her flip
-If flips town then that hurts
You seem to be suggestion that either flipping scum would imply the other is also scum. Can you explain why you think that?

Also some conclusion to this post would be nice. What do you think we should do?

Verelios

You seem to be suggestion that either flipping scum would imply the other is also scum. Can you explain why you think that?

Also some conclusion to this post would be nice. What do you think we should do?
I actually don't think one flipping scum is indicative of the other flipping, so I placed that in con, but based on the chances, our increasingly lowering town count and their(Darryl/TGD-Sophia) interactions, I'm willing to take a chance.

If general consensus is to let TGD live another day then fine, I'm okay with that. I'd rather get rid of a dangerous element, but I can understand getting more information out of him would be equally beneficial. If that's so then I'd like an alternative vote to cast on.

And regarding Salva, his recent (relatively) posts have struck me as weird. Not scummy, but really stand-offish, I wouldn't be surprised if he was neutral

nin1000

Banned
"I might vote The G"
"Nah I won't vote The G"
"Here is why I did this strange thing"
"Here is a picture of a cat"
"I'm going to sleep"
"Definitely sleep. This vote has no weight behind it btw so don't sweat it"

It hurts beacuse the truth always hurts.

Das Thing that We are drwgging this along.

The roleblock isn't permanent. It only has the potential to be anti-town, and when it is, then I can die and the roleblock is lifted.

None of Darryl's/my choices so far have been anti-town. Topo was vanilla, and Sophia/Star had a double. Been doing the best I can with a messy role.

My name is Donald Trump, and that is why I was hesitant to state it. In what world is Trump not scum? This one, apparently. Our chat is called Trump Tower.

Sophia's and my hostile interactions at the start of the day were strictly because of my mistake about whether my capture pushed through. Hopefully Star can corroborate.

To be perfectly clear, I'm fine with being lynched today; my flip will prove everything I've said so far, and town can see the effects of my claim. My main reason for staying alive is I want someone else with Star in the chat so it continues to have a use (I'm good with Blarg's plan, although depending on the alignment of the second killer, it can be as good for scum as it is for town).

roytheone

Need to go to work in roughly an hour, so my vote will be locked in soon. Thinking about Ferret's plan, I agree there is the risk that it could out PR to scum. To avoid this, they probably shouldn't reveal their power in the chat in case Goddamn/sophiasketch are scum and/or a scum gets added to the chat later. That will make it harder to decide when TGD has caught enough pokemon that the risk of him having blocked town PR outweighs the benefits of him being able to identify non-pokemon, and he should be lynched. That benefit is also hard to put a value on since we don't know if and how many non-pokemon roles are non-town. Add the fact that TGD could very well be scum, and there are a lot of risks and uncertainties with the plan. If someone has ideas to deal with those uncertainties and risks I would reconsider, but until then:

vote: TheGoddamn

BTW, Ferret, can you clarify something for me? In your plan you say TGD learns the role through capture, do you mean through a pm he gets when he successfully captures someone or through the chat after the capture? I don't remember TGD claiming he automatically learns the role/name of his captured Pokemons.

Why are you fishing for the Vigilante?

Why is it obviously a mafia PR? Who killed Ty in that case? Or are you saying scum had two kills?

Before game starts, everyone is informed that there are trainers out there who capture pokemon. El Topo comes forward claiming he was caught the previous night. Ends up dead the next day. How does that smell like a vig kill? What was scummy about El Topo coming forward and Ty4on that would make a town hit them? And on Night 2 will very little to go on? Mafia know something about the trainers that we don't.

1-shot kill PR + ordinary NK = 2 kills last night. Why isn't that plausible?

Goddamn, only way I'm lifting my vote on you is if you can demonstrate how your ability can help town win.

Based on Ty4on, and Barrylocke's flips we know that at least one of the trainers is not town.

Even if you are not scum, that doesn't mean that you are town or that leaving you in the game is beneficial in any way.

*Splinter

Goddamn, only way I'm lifting my vote on you is if you can demonstrate how your ability can help town win.

Based on Ty4on, and Barrylocke's flips we know that at least one of the trainers is not town.

Even if you are not scum, that doesn't mean that you are town or that leaving you in the game is beneficial in any way.
Wait, why?

Before game starts, everyone is informed that there are trainers out there who capture pokemon. El Topo comes forward claiming he was caught the previous night. Ends up dead the next day. How does that smell like a vig kill? What was scummy about El Topo coming forward and Ty4on that would make a town hit them? And on Night 2 will very little to go on? Mafia know something about the trainers that we don't.

1-shot kill PR + ordinary NK = 2 kills last night. Why isn't that plausible?

I do want to point out that Topo claimed that caught pokemon would have their abilities roleblocked.

Which anyone who was caught, but NOT by Goddamn would know is not true. They might have thought the lie was a scum gambit to draw a counter claim and went for Topo based on that.

Your scenario is plausible too, however.

Top Bottom