• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

You can improve the chance of them holding the item with compound items (though I don't think there's many Pokemon with Compound Eyes and Thief and the ability to one shot the -Os with it).

There's usually one or two items a gen that are unnecessarily stupid hard to get especially if you want multiples ( oval stone was a nightmare in Gen VI IIRC )

Galvantula is the king of item stealing. AFAIK the fastest in the game.

The one one can view on the Pokemon summary screen(without using Judge).
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but the judge definitely shows your accurate IVs so theres no need to look somewhere else

ivjudge2.jpg

Oh I'm referring to this screen:

bigger-numbers-are-better-of-course-1.png

My babys have all 6's. Does that not really matter?

You can't decipher IVs from the regular stat display alone. You need the stat judge unlocked.

EDIT: To clarify, the regular stat display shows your Pokemon's numerical stats as they appear outside the graph. Which means IVs, EVs, nature, Level and base stats are all factored in, making it nigh impossible to separate out the IVs.

You can't decipher IVs from the regular stat display alone. You need the stat judge unlocked.

EDIT: To clarify, the regular stat display shows your Pokemon's numerical stats as they appear outside the graph. Which means IVs, EVs, nature, Level and base stats are all factored in, making it nigh impossible to separate out the IVs.

Got it, thanks!

SlickVic

Wow, this is the first time in a very long while that I'm struggling with a battle in a Pokemon game with
Lusamine in the shadow realm area. "Super Effective" sludge bombs from my Salandit do peanuts in terms of damage on her Clefable and using Poisinium Z with it shaves off maybe 40% of its health tops. Of course it doesn't even matter since it starts spamming Moonbeams to get back all it's health. Then to top if off, the Metronome winds up picking a "super effective" move against me a good half of the time. Only way I can see getting through this is having a Pokemon that can get a OHK or close to it on the Clefable, but I don't have that on my team. I'm thinking I'm just going to take a Level 70 something Pokemon out of the bank and try to wreck it. Getting too annoying that everyime time I want to battle her I have to keeping pressing the B button to skip through the 5 minute conversation before the battle even starts.

Wow, this is the first time in a very long while that I'm struggling with a battle in a Pokemon game with
Lusamine in the shadow realm area. "Super Effective" sludge bombs from my Salandit do peanuts in terms of damage on her Clefable and using Poisinium Z with it shaves off maybe 40% of its health tops. Of course it doesn't even matter since it starts spamming Moonbeams to get back all it's health. Then to top if off, the Metronome winds up picking a "super effective" move against me a good half of the time. Only way I can see getting through this is having a Pokemon that can get a OHK or close to it on the Clefable, but I don't have that on my team. I'm thinking I'm just going to take a Level 70 something Pokemon out of the bank and try to wreck it. Getting too annoying that everyime time I want to battle her I have to keeping pressing the B button to skip through the 5 minute conversation before the battle even starts.

I remember this part being tough (and other battles), but still finished it the first try. Are you leveled appropriately? Don't underestimate berries. They can be useful in situations you know you'll be getting into.

SlickVic

I remember this part being tough (and other battles), but still finished it the first try. Are you leveled appropriately? Don't underestimate berries. They can be useful in situations you know you'll be getting into.

Well I tried it again and accidentally found out Leaf Blade from my Decidueye is much more powerful than any "super effective" sludge bombs from my Salandit on Clefable. Also got lucky that it didn't use any Moonlight that time and didn't have to deal with it regenerating health. Rest of her team went down relatively easily. Just had to get lucky I guess, and realize sometimes normal effective moves can be a lot more damaging than super effective moves depending on other factors.

Team is Level 48-55, which seems ok for this point of the game.

JoeM86

Oh crud. I'm going to have to redo my team I was sure this one was the first one with the restrictions lifted.

Na. We're into the times where Online Competition concepts are ruined by just being International Challenges for VGC. Season ends in July though so we'll get actually good online competitions then :p

There's really no point of these any more. VGC rules have their own ladder and the CP for ranking is ridiculously low. Nobody cares about it.

It's like in Gen VI with Special Battle. I loved all the Special Battle rulesets, but in 2016 and 2014 they just kept getting taken by VGC rulesets. VGC is great, but I love variety.

SlickVic

Wound up finishing the game today. Wasn't expecting to see the credits roll, but the game moves at a surprisingly brisk clip once you hit the fourth island (prior to that, story seemed to pick up quite a bit once I hit Po Town), and soon enough I was at the final challenge. Have to say I enjoyed the story quite a bit more than I have in past Pokemon games, and I definitely enjoyed Lillie's arc through the game. Probably will take a bit a break from the game now, but I look forward to dabbling in some of the post-game content at some point.

JoeM86

Seems like most of my teams are from the alola-dex anyways.
What are the VGC rules exactly. How do these tournaments work exactly, I've never done anything like this.

Battle Type: Double Battle
Pokémon Restrictions: Alola Pokédex only.
Banned Pokémon: Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, Pokémon not captured or hatched in Sun & Moon, Regional Variants of Pokémon other than Alola Forms.
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Clauses: No same Pokémon, No same item
Players may only use Pokémon with items or moves obtained in Pokémon Sun & Moon. All Pokémon require Black Clover Symbol

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Seems like most of my teams are from the alola-dex anyways.
What are the VGC rules exactly. How do these tournaments work exactly, I've never done anything like this.

The VGC rules this year are:

• Double Battle. Register between 4 and 6 Pokemon, and choose 4 to use every battle.
  • Only Pokemon in the Alola Pokedex may be used.
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna.
  • If a Pokemon has regional variants, only the Alola form may be used. In other words, you cannot use the non-Alola form of a Pokemon that has an Alola form.
  • Pokemon must have the clover on their status screen indicating they were originally caught, hatched, or received in Sun or Moon.
  • You cannot have two Pokemon with the same Pokedex number.
  • All Pokemon are set to level 50, regardless of their actual level.
  • You cannot have two Pokemon holding the same item.
  • All Mega Stones are banned.

For the competition, you will need to go to the Pokemon Global Link website to register beforehand. Registration opens one week before the tournament starts, and closes when the tournament starts. There is also a cap of 50,000 registrants--it usually doesn't fill up, but it might this time, since they're giving away unreleased Mega Stones. So you should probably register as early as possible, just to be safe.

Once the tournament starts, you lock in your team (you must use the same team throughout the tournament), and then begin the matches. You can play up to 15 matches per day. You receive a rating depending on how well you do, similar to how Rating Battles work. The overall rankings are posted sometime after the tournament ends.

Usually about a week or two after the tournament ends, you can receive the gift. In order to receive the Mega Stones, you must have participated in at least 3 battles. If you qualified, you can get the gift at the Global Link website once it's available.

WPS

How long do you need to go into Sun and Moon to access bank?

I'm planning on restarting the game twice, so I can withdraw a small army of hatching rejects from bank and effectively release them all in one fell swoop, but Sun's opening is so slow I'm not sure it will genuinely be faster.

How long do you need to go into Sun and Moon to access bank?
Until you can access a terminal in a pokecenter for the first time I guess. Shouldn't take too long

The VGC rules this year are:

• Double Battle. Register between 4 and 6 Pokemon, and choose 4 to use every battle.
  • Only Pokemon in the Alola Pokedex may be used.
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna.
  • If a Pokemon has regional variants, only the Alola form may be used. In other words, you cannot use the non-Alola form of a Pokemon that has an Alola form.
  • Pokemon must have the clover on their status screen indicating they were originally caught, hatched, or received in Sun or Moon.
  • You cannot have two Pokemon with the same Pokedex number.
  • All Pokemon are set to level 50, regardless of their actual level.
  • You cannot have two Pokemon holding the same item.
  • All Mega Stones are banned.

For the competition, you will need to go to the Pokemon Global Link website to register beforehand. Registration opens one week before the tournament starts, and closes when the tournament starts. There is also a cap of 50,000 registrants--it usually doesn't fill up, but it might this time, since they're giving away unreleased Mega Stones. So you should probably register as early as possible, just to be safe.

Once the tournament starts, you lock in your team (you must use the same team throughout the tournament), and then begin the matches. You can play up to 15 matches per day. You receive a rating depending on how well you do, similar to how Rating Battles work. The overall rankings are posted sometime after the tournament ends.

Usually about a week or two after the tournament ends, you can receive the gift. In order to receive the Mega Stones, you must have participated in at least 3 battles. If you qualified, you can get the gift at the Global Link website once it's available.

Cool thanks. Most of my Pokemon should be allowed so easy to get one team. Don't have much experience with double battles though.
When does the registration start?

If all you need to do is dump Pokemon from Bank into Box and then restart, you may be able to do it from first save. You didn't actually need to be able to access your boxes in game for them to exist in previous games, you just needed to have a save. I have no way of checking if Sun/Moon is more restrictive though.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Until you can access a terminal in a pokecenter for the first time I guess. Shouldn't take too long

Cool thanks. Most of my Pokemon should be allowed so easy to get one team. Don't have much experience with double battles though.
When does the registration start?

It begins February 16th at 0:00 UTC (February 15th at 7:00 PM EST).

Branson

I might have overleveled my self for the story. I'm level 43 on most of my creatures and just beat the first trial on the 3rd island with everything like level 28. Oops. I need to stop watching tv and just randomly grinding.

I might have overleveled my self for the story. I'm level 43 on most of my creatures and just beat the first trial on the 3rd island with everything like level 28. Oops. I need to stop watching tv and just randomly grinding.

Yeah, the XP scaling doesn't seem to help in keeping the story sane (I'm level 48 at Po Town) but does make the grind to 100 stupidly tedious.

I wasn't even grinding , just catching everything, when it was available (unless there's a better way soon after, eg I got Bagon from the 10% area not 1%).

So...I'm willing to bet it's already been talked about, but Jesus Christ, the frame rate, y'all! How is Nintendo getting away with this without backlash?

Crayolan

So...I'm willing to bet it's already been talked about, but Jesus Christ, the frame rate, y'all! How is Nintendo getting away with this without backlash?

There has been backlash. People have been railing on the framerate since XY, but after 3 games worth of shitty framerates people are tired of treading the the same ground and so the criticism isn't as vocal.

There has been backlash. People have been railing on the framerate since XY, but after 3 games worth of shitty framerates people are tired of treading the the same ground and so the criticism isn't as vocal.

it feels like the framerate is even worse this time around though? things like refresh lag like crazy when I was looking at solgaleo, totem pokemon were laggy, and 2v2 is almost unplayable.

it feels like the framerate is even worse this time around though? things like refresh lag like crazy when I was looking at solgaleo, totem pokemon were laggy, and 2v2 is almost unplayable.
2v2 is a desaster. I'm so glad when they finally switch to the Switch. Very curious on how games will look/run

Huh, I put up a Chlorophyll Bulbasaur asking for a Pheromosa on GTS, and got accepted. Wasn't expecting it to get accepted since theres no way to search for HAs and special balls.

OTOH it's Impish which must be one of the 6 worst nature for this thing.

Busaiku

So I'm gonna make a Nature Power Whimsicott team for VGC, but I can't really decide on the last Pokémon.

So far I'm thinking...

Whimsicott with Normalium Z
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk and not sure about the rest, thinking HP and 4 Def
Nature Power
Giga Drain
Tailwind
Taunt

Tapu Fini with Assault Vest
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk/HP, 4 Def
Moonblast
Nature's Madness
Muddy Water
Ice Beam

Tapu Koko with Life Orb
Timid with 252 Sp.Atk/Speed, 4 HP
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Protect
Grass Knot

Garchomp with Choice Scarf
Jolly with 252 Atk/Speed, 4 Sp.Def
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Fire Fang
Rock Slide/Iron Head

Primarina with Choice Specs
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk, 168 HP, 88 Speed
Sparkling Aria
Moonblast
Psychic
Ice Beam

And not really sure of what I should do on the last slot.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Primarina seems redundant, but Tapu Fini can't really put out as much damage, so it's a little different in that it does support a bit. But I only have the Modest one (Tapu Fini), so can't really do much else with it.

Demoli

So I'm gonna make a Nature Power Whimsicott team for VGC, but I can't really decide on the last Pokémon.

So far I'm thinking...

Whimsicott with Normalium Z
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk and not sure about the rest, thinking HP and 4 Def
Nature Power
Giga Drain
Tailwind
Taunt

Tapu Fini with Assault Vest
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk/HP, 4 Def
Moonblast
Nature's Madness
Muddy Water
Ice Beam

Tapu Koko with Life Orb
Timid with 252 Sp.Atk/Speed, 4 HP
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Protect
Grass Knot

Garchomp with Choice Scarf
Jolly with 252 Atk/Speed, 4 Sp.Def
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Fire Fang
Rock Slide/Iron Head

Primarina with Choice Specs
Modest with 252 Sp.Atk, 168 HP, 88 Speed
Sparkling Aria
Moonblast
Psychic
Ice Beam

And not really sure of what I should do on the last slot.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Primarina seems redundant, but Tapu Fini can't really put out as much damage, so it's a little different in that it does support a bit. But I only have the Modest one (Tapu Fini), so can't really do much else with it.

Z-Move Gyarados and Arcanine/Marowak seems like good choices since you lack a fairy resist. A-Muk is also a choice

Jeeves

Hey guys, I think the clock in my game is messed up. I have Moon and I'm aware that the game time is offset by 12 hours, which is why I
went through the portal at the altar yesterday
because I was tired of it being night time during IRL daytime. Cool. Now today I just loaded the game up, I've confirmed that I'm still
on the "sun" side of the portal
, and it's night time in my game. IRL it's almost noon for me right now, and my system clock is correct, and when I save my game the timestamp is correct....but when I go into a pokemon center and talk to the cafe guy, he seems to think it's about to be 4am. What gives? I haven't adjusted my system clock or anything like that.

Hey guys, I think the clock in my game is messed up. I have Moon and I'm aware that the game time is offset by 12 hours, which is why I
went through the portal at the altar yesterday
because I was tired of it being night time during IRL daytime. Cool. Now today I just loaded the game up, I've confirmed that I'm still
on the "sun" side of the portal
, and it's night time in my game. IRL it's almost noon for me right now, and my system clock is correct, and when I save my game the timestamp is correct....but when I go into a pokemon center and talk to the cafe guy, he seems to think it's about to be 4am. What gives? I haven't adjusted my system clock or anything like that.
I actually just found out about this.
It doesn't offset the time by 12 hours, it makes it 6 am and continues from there.

I still don't like it that the Tapus are allowed in online battles :/

I almost agree, it really makes them a requirement to offset your opponents terrain in the same way it benefits to have a weather user. But it also makes poison users more prominent.

I'm just tired of the same old Tapu and Garchomp lead in doubles.

On another note does anyone have a spare Xerneas/Thundurus/Landorus? After those three I think I'll finally have all the legendaries. I have tons of stuff I could breed and spares of a ton of other legends to offer if anyone can help.

Busaiku

I probably have a spare Rough Skin Gible somewhere if you're looking for a breeding starting point rather than immediate battle use.
Yeah, just that.

Anything you looking for?
Don't have too much, but I could help with Pokédex completion.

My FC is 5069-3918-6400.

Yeah, just that.

Anything you looking for?
Don't have too much, but I could help with Pokédex completion.

My FC is 5069-3918-6400.

I had one in my bank, so you're in luck.

FC: 4253-3526-7631

I've already added you, so just drop me a PM when you want to trade.

Not really looking for much that I expect to get: I'd love a proper competitive Imposter Ditto (but the chances of getting one are ... small)., or the HA Regi's with competitive Natures but the nature of that give away makes that unlikely too. So whatever you happen to have is cool.

I actually just got some random's breedject Gible on Wonder Trade that had that ability. I didn't know it was a Hidden Ability Gible at that.

I also have some Imposter Dittos, but what makes them competitively viable? They're probably not that...

And also, what's up with the nearly complete absense of Iron Tail in this game? I remember it being quite ubiquitous back in the day. It was a TM and everything. Now, basically nothing learns it and it seems the only way to get the move back is by breeding from Pokemon Bank trades?

WPS

I also have some Imposter Dittos, but what makes them competitively viable? They're probably not that...

A reasonably viable imposter Ditto has Max HP and that's it. Once it transforms, which is usually instantly, that's the only stat that remains.

A perfect ditto has a bunch of extra requirements for silly edge cases.
You want a good hidden power (which that is various wildly depending on what you're expecting to fight) for if you want to become pokémon with hidden power in their moveset.
You want maximum defense and minimum speed with a relaxed nature, for the event that two untransformed ditto must fight to the death. You probably also want max attack for this? (Note: You will never spend more time having untransformed ditto fight to the death than you will optimising for that scenario.)
You want maximum special defence for if you switch into a zoroark illusion and are forced to try and survive a round untransformed (spoilers, it won't help).
Your special attack and be whatever the hell it likes, hidden power not withstanding.

Top Bottom