• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

The only time I've seen Gravity work really well in doubles was in VGC16 when the format allowed Primal Groudon. Boosted accuracy Precipice Blades that could hit levitaters was really strong. People really liked Gravity/Hypnosis Bronzong. I know some Pokemon like Xurkitree and Exeggcutor get Hypnosis so that might be worth looking into.

Just looking at the list of Pokemon you've put together nothing really strikes me as strong enough to justify the set up time needed for Gravity. Thunder and Blizzard are great but weather is so much easier to set up. If you really want Gravity to pay off you might have to go for something really gimmicky like Sheer Cold Lapras or Fissure Gastrodon.

Is Fissure effected by Gravity ? (Other than being able to hit Flying / Levitate), it ignores most other accuracy/evasion modifiers other than the Guaranteed Hits.

How do these games compare to X&Y? Those are the last ones I played and I did enjoy them, but I know they've done quite a few changes with these.

Substituting Trials for Gyms it's pretty similar really (though the villain plot is more compressed). There's XP scaling from Gen V but it doesn't do much except make the post game incredibly tedious.

The Pokemon are largely slower but Bulkier / Hit Harder but since it applies to everything you don't really notice until you play competitively in an environment where Bank-mons are allowed.

Rafavert

The only time I've seen Gravity work really well in doubles was in VGC16 when the format allowed Primal Groudon. Boosted accuracy Precipice Blades that could hit levitaters was really strong. People really liked Gravity/Hypnosis Bronzong. I know some Pokemon like Xurkitree and Exeggcutor get Hypnosis so that might be worth looking into.

Just looking at the list of Pokemon you've put together nothing really strikes me as strong enough to justify the set up time needed for Gravity. Thunder and Blizzard are great but weather is so much easier to set up. If you really want Gravity to pay off you might have to go for something really gimmicky like Sheer Cold Lapras or Fissure Gastrodon.

Yeah, i really nothing in that list is amazing. Most of them have low damage output which would be compensated by the high base power, but other mons might get the job done without needing to set up gravity first.

Still, I wanna do it for fun =p

So I finally got gold crowns on all the Pokedexes... except the Melemele Pokedex. I didn't want to spoil it all for myself, but what is Pokemon 105 supposed to be? Must be a huge oversight on the game's part that they never showed it or suggest where to find it.

Silurus

So I finally got gold crowns on all the Pokedexes... except the Melemele Pokedex. I didn't want to spoil it all for myself, but what is Pokemon 105 supposed to be? Must be a huge oversight on the game's part that they never showed it or suggest where to find it.

Spinda, I was missing that also til recently.

Spinda, I was missing that also til recently.
Yeah, I figured. They are everywhere, and nowhere. I've been to all the islands several times. I've found 96 Zygarde cores without a guide, if that's any indicator. And I've never seen one.
Arguably not the worst thing the Pokedex requires though. But then there are weird omissions, like why are there no wild Snubull, or Vanillish, or Shellos, or Whiscash (excluding SOS)?

Clefargle

Bah gawd, the perfect Zygarde complete I've been using on battle spot singles (no restrictions) is really good in that format:

Zygarde (doge) @ Dragonium Z
Dragon dance
Thousand arrows
Outrage
Extreme speed

It works so well for multiple reasons. The format really makes outrage viable since there are only 3 Pokémon to sweep. It also lets you resort to Z-DD for removing debuffs if they use an intimidator or whatever. Z-outrage is a physical devastating drake and does a shitload of damage off of complete Zygarde. And you don't get the confusion afterwards. In the 3v3 format it works really well since outrage normally confuses after 2-3 turns. So after a Z-outrage, Zygarde can still hit with a boosted (assuming you got a DD) outrage after expending the z Crystal. The doge Zygarde isn't required but it works really well since it has slightly lower defensive stats than the snake form. You can throw it into normal damage or not very effective damage and trigger power construct easily. I'm working on other variants for this mon, all I know is that it is too much fun.

JoeM86

Bah gawd, the perfect Zygarde complete I've been using on battle spot singles (no restrictions) is really good in that format:

Zygarde (doge) @ Dragonium Z
Dragon dance
Thousand arrows
Outrage
Extreme speed

It works so well for multiple reasons. The format really makes outrage viable since there are only 3 Pokémon to sweep. It also lets you resort to Z-DD for removing debuffs if they use an intimidator or whatever. Z-outrage is a physical devastating drake and does a shitload of damage off of complete Zygarde. And you don't get the confusion afterwards. In the 3v3 format it works really well since outrage normally confuses after 2-3 turns. So after a Z-outrage, Zygarde can still hit with a boosted (assuming you got a DD) outrage after expending the z Crystal. The doge Zygarde isn't required but it works really well since it has slightly lower defensive stats than the snake form. You can throw it into normal damage or not very effective damage and trigger power construct easily. I'm working on other variants for this mon, all I know is that it is too much fun.

Oh that's an interesting choice. I've been using a Substitute Zygarde 10% Forme recently. Lets me get off some Dragon Dances before carnage and eventually takes me down to the requirement for Zygarde Complete...and you don't want to be against a Complete Zygarde behind a substitute

Clefargle

Oh that's an interesting choice. I've been using a Substitute Zygarde 10% Forme recently. Lets me get off some Dragon Dances before carnage and eventually takes me down to the requirement for Zygarde Complete...and you don't want to be against a Complete Zygarde behind a substitute

Yah I'm working on a couple more Zygarde versions. I need a couple more specific Zygarde sets. But hot damn it's a lot of fun to fuck around with it. Glad you're having fun too

JoeM86

Yah I'm working on a couple more Zygarde versions. I need a couple more specific Zygarde sets. But hot damn it's a lot of fun to fuck around with it. Glad you're having fun too

Only issue is keeping Zygarde 10% alive long enough. That's why I went Substitute

JohnCYQ

So uh, I just got the game today. I was able to download the demo still so I'm guessing that I can still get Ash-Greninja, which is pretty nice.

I'm guessing that munchlax + the z-stone is not available from mystery gift anymore, right?

Rafavert

So uh, I just got the game today. I was able to download the demo still so I'm guessing that I can still get Ash-Greninja, which is pretty nice.

I'm guessing that munchlax + the z-stone is not available from mystery gift anymore, right?

Nope. The Munchlax event has ended. It was only available for a couple months.
Ash-Greninja is still available, though. Should be as long as they don't remove the demo from the eShop.

I think the former was an oversight , they already have a mechanism for move relearner moves as well as on evolution moves and the move relearner can teach any moves in the level up move pool, so it doesn't make sense to have moves learnt at a level before level up (except to allow random encounters to have it).

not to mention, if memory serves, trainer Marowaks will still know it

must've been a good AI one then, because I distinctly remember a mid-game Marowak using Shadow Bone on me and got really annoyed

Oh, no, I was agreeing with you, because Trainer Marowak are the same as wild ones Trainer Marowak in the learn range for Shadow Bone (27-48) will have it.

Wild and normal Trainer Pokemon ignore things like Evolution and have the four latest moves for their current form as their moveset, so the move happening before evolution doesn't effect them.

Wichu

Finally redeemed my
Battle Points from Bank so I can get the Battle Royal/Battle Tree items. I hope they don't release a new game with BP move tutors soon.

Finally redeemed my
Battle Points from Bank so I can get the Battle Royal/Battle Tree items. I hope they don't release a new game with BP move tutors soon.

We'd normally be due for another game this year but won't know for sure until ~June (it wouldn't surprise me if there's a years push back for the Switch release, OTOH I could easily see a Sinnoh remake as a schedule filler).

dickroach

I've been slowly chipping away at Sun.just passed the Volcano trial. the little "tests" before the battles were so dumb; I loved em.

I got a party of Datrix, Torracat, Brionne, Pikachu, Slowpoke, and Hariyama. all around level 25-30.
I'll drop slowpoke whenever I can find something derpier. I haven't looked through the whole pokedex, but probably Nosepass.

Wichu

I just did a couple of online battles for the first time in Sun/Moon. Managed to beat some guy's Garchomp because his Stone Edge kept missing. I'm pretty sure Stone Edge's 80% accuracy is a lie.

I just did a couple of online battles for the first time in Sun/Moon. Managed to beat some guy's Garchomp because his Stone Edge kept missing. I'm pretty sure Stone Edge's 80% accuracy is a lie.

There's a reason that high power moves with low accuracy don't see much competitive use unless using something to increase their accuracy, you'll always remember the times they missed when you would have won if they'd hit but not the times where the increased power hitting won the match for you.

And honestly competitively that makes sense: relying on luck to win , will statistically get you knocked out in multi-round tournaments because they use eliminations rather than points.

You know what would be great? Being able to use the typing and stats etc of the evolved form but use the unevolved model, like a gear transmogrification.

I dont want a Primarina, a Nine Tails, or a Raichu, but im kind of forced to because vulpix is kind of useless if you dont. Eviolite is shit

JoeM86

We'd normally be due for another game this year but won't know for sure until ~June (it wouldn't surprise me if there's a years push back for the Switch release, OTOH I could easily see a Sinnoh remake as a schedule filler).

A Sinnoh Remake wouldn't be a schedule filler. It'd require more work than say Stars

spiritfox

You know what would be great? Being able to use the typing and stats etc of the evolved form but use the unevolved model, like a gear transmogrification.

I dont want a Primarina, a Nine Tails, or a Raichu, but im kind of forced to because vulpix is kind of useless if you dont. Eviolite is shit

Err no. With nicknames it'll be impossible to tell at first glance.

Wiseblade

How about NONE OF THIS. Pokémon aren't equipment.

From what ive heard, even the special hat event pikachu will have standard stats, and will thus just not be used at all as per the usual

How about NONE OF THIS. Pokémon aren't equipment.

Yes they are, especially when you're forced to use the best equipment to even be viable.

At least if you could somehow keep pokemon that you like more instead of touching them with a stone to change them completely, they would mean more than just stats.

What else do they even offer? refresh where you rub your screen to level up affection? yeah they dont make them seem like anything more than dumb animals that you throw against other teams of dumb animals, even their natural enemies, in sun/moon.

shit, you're even encouraged to breed them away and replace them with better IV pokemon, or trade them off. If thats not treating them as mere tools then you have the EV grind where you just beat up pokemon after pokemon until you're happy :|

Err no. With nicknames it'll be impossible to tell at first glance.

so add a glow or effect or an icon or something, i dont know. Being forced to evolve them, trade them and breed them makes the whole "pokemon are our friends!" angle a total joke. Shit even pokemon Yellow did a better job then s/m by at least having a pokemon with some personality following you around.

Training to overcome the odds was always a theme of pokemon, but thats also redundant when no matter how much you train, theyre going to be useless unless you make them metamorph or trade them etc

ramparter

Banned

Maybe all Pokemon should be about equal in power when they are on the same level and evolutions would only change them - different moveset, stats weight etc.

Maybe the switch version will have them seem more like companions than the handheld games since they had all those unused walking animations (hopefully). As of the latest games it felt like they cared more about telling you how pokemon kill each other in the wild than any kind of indication that they're your friends at all.

As of now people are listing the ball the pokemon comes with as part of the trade appeal which just lends even more toward them being nothing more than tradeable statistics

Maybe im alone in this, but as a kid I thought that the anime Pikachu was endearing because it went to surpass its limitations through training instead of evolving, and wasnt liked any less for it.

Wiseblade

From what ive heard, even the special hat event pikachu will have standard stats, and will thus just not be used at all as per the usual

Yes they are, especially when you're forced to use the best equipment to even be viable.

At least if you could somehow keep pokemon that you like more instead of touching them with a stone to change them completely, they would mean more than just stats.

What else do they even offer? refresh where you rub your screen to level up affection? yeah they dont make them seem like anything more than dumb animals that you throw against other teams of dumb animals, even their natural enemies, in sun/moon.

shit, you're even encouraged to breed them away and replace them with better IV pokemon, or trade them off. If thats not treating them as mere tools then you have the EV grind where you just beat up pokemon after pokemon until you're happy :|
You don't need to evolve a Pokémon. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to evolve your Vulpix into a Ninetales. The main game is easy enough that you cold get through the game without evolving a Pokémon if you don't want to. Even in this thread many people commented about playing through the game with an Eviolite Torracat. I'm sure given the chance, someone could fish up an example of a NFE Pokémon other than Porygon2 performing well in a VGC format.

Your equivalence to EV training rings hollow also. EV training doesn't undermine the physical consistency of a Pokémon and and fits within the internal logic of the game world. It's exercise: Super Training & Isle Evelup on the Poké Pelago make this explicitly clear.

Pokémon are definitely not equipment. They have personalities, memories, genes, affection and nicknames. They go spelunking, grow berries, exercise, compete in beauty pageants and star in movies. They even collect trinkets to track all of their accomplishments. There is no game that treats equipment the same way Pokémon are treated. Hell, there's no monster catching/raising with the same degree of individuality as Pokémon.

spiritfox

It's like wanting to skin your dog as a puppy because you like puppies better. You're totally missing the point of Pokemon. If you wanted stats skinned with fancy graphics you're playing the wrong game.

Tried my team I signed up for the tournament yesterday in the battle tree. Didn't even make it past the second fight.
I think I messed up bad. Let's see how the tournament will go haha.

You don't need to evolve a Pokémon. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to evolve your Vulpix into a Ninetales. The main game is easy enough that you cold get through the game without evolving a Pokémon if you don't want to. Even in this thread many people commented about playing through the game with an Eviolite Torracat. I'm sure given the chance, someone could fish up an example of a NFE Pokémon other than Porygon2 performing well in a VGC format.

Your equivalence to EV training rings hollow also. EV training doesn't undermine the physical consistency of a Pokémon and and fits within the internal logic of the game world. It's exercise: Super Training & Isle Evelup on the Poké Pelago make this explicitly clear.

Pokémon are definitely not equipment. They have personalities, memories, genes, affection and nicknames. They go spelunking, grow berries, exercise, compete in beauty pageants and star in movies. They even collect trinkets to track all of their accomplishments. There is no game that treats equipment the same way Pokémon are treated. Hell, there's no monster catching/raising with the same degree of individuality as Pokémon.

TIL the shitty minigames equate to individuality...
The only pokemon you could even customize was the ugly poodle in XY, and their "nature" equates to nothing more than statistics. Statistics that determine if people even keep using the pokemon at all.

What if you want to do more than just beat the single player and play online? (which i did, with vulpix which got KOd in one hit by basically everything). You are forced to do the things I mentioned.

Ive mentioned before that EV training is just you abusing adrenal glands of pokemon so they panic and call for help while you beat the crap out of everything that shows up. You can say that im taking it too seriously, but the game took itself super seriously to the point it became cringe. Lillies line about pokemon not being for collecting might be the single worst piece of dialogue in a videogame, considering that we have been doing nothing but collecting them for 20 years and theres even a subscription/bank service to store them now :)

But sure, becoming a tiny 2d sprite on the pelago that gives you berries like an automation is totally personable :/

Daemul

There's a reason that high power moves with low accuracy don't see much competitive use unless using something to increase their accuracy, you'll always remember the times they missed when you would have won if they'd hit but not the times where the increased power hitting won the match for you.

And honestly competitively that makes sense: relying on luck to win , will statistically get you knocked out in multi-round tournaments because they use eliminations rather than points.

Nah, it's actually the other way around. Competitively the higher power/lower accuracy moves are preferred due to the huge difference they make in getting kills. You end up on missing out on too many OHKO's/2HKO's if you use something like Flamethrower over Fire Blast (QD Volcarona is unable to OHKO threats like Landorus-T if he's running Flamethrower over Fire Blast for example), which is something that can easily change the tide of the match against you and lead to your defeat, so it's best just to gamble it all and take the risk to avoid that happening.

There are a handful of exceptions where using the lower power/higher accuracy move is usually preferred, such as Thunderbolt over Thunder and Ice Beam over Blizzard, though even then there are times when Blizzard and Thunder are better choices. Overall, moves like Megahorn, Stone Edge, Gunk Shot, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, High Jump Kick, Draco Meteor, Hurricane, Leaf Storm, Icicle Crash etc are constantly recommended over their weaker but more accurate counterparts.

Tried my team I signed up for the tournament yesterday in the battle tree. Didn't even make it past the second fight.
I think I messed up bad. Let's see how the tournament will go haha.
Single Battle in the Battle Tree is so much tougher than I thought it would be. I finished 20 in the first Double rank pretty much on my first try. But on Single, I can't get more than 8. It's really made me rethink my strategy.
But then I also didn't enter the tournament. I can't be out of the game for 13 years and be ready in 3 months. I haven't even eon any online match. Maybe I'll try next time.

Single Battle in the Battle Tree is so much tougher than I thought it would be. I finished 20 in the first Double rank pretty much on my first try. But on Single, I can't get more than 8. It's really made me rethink my strategy.
But then I also didn't enter the tournament. I can't be out of the game for 13 years and be ready in 3 months. I haven't even eon any online match. Maybe I'll try next time.

For me single is much easier. I didn't make it to 50 yet but I got to 43 on my first try and I won the last 4 online matches. For doubles I really have to rethink my strategie a lot.

Cool, I guess trading 5 Pokemon over the GTS didn't count to get my Rare Candies and Friend Ball. Code won't show up despite getting the 4000 FC.

I'd send a ticket or whatever in, but honestly? It's just items I don't need anymore. When it comes time to get the Mega Stones I'll be prepared for this and inject them on my other game and trade them over should I need to. I have no idea how the internet features got this bad this generation, but wow.

Nah, it's actually the other way around. Competitively the higher power/lower accuracy moves are preferred due to the huge difference they make in getting kills. You end up on missing out on too many OHKO's/2HKO's if you use something like Flamethrower over Fire Blast (QD Volcarona is unable to OHKO threats like Landorus-T if he's running Flamethrower over Fire Blast for example), which is something that can easily change the tide of the match against you and lead to your defeat, so it's best just to gamble it all and take the risk to avoid that happening.

There are a handful of exceptions where using the lower power/higher accuracy move is usually preferred, such as Thunderbolt over Thunder and Ice Beam over Blizzard, though even then there are times when Blizzard and Thunder are better choices. Overall, moves like Megahorn, Stone Edge, Gunk Shot, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, High Jump Kick, Draco Meteor, Hurricane, Leaf Storm, Icicle Crash etc are constantly recommended over their weaker but more accurate counterparts.

It depends on what the moves are Ice Beam/Thunderbolt are generally recommended over Blizzard/Thunderbolt unless you've got a way to patch things up.

Fire Blast is a bit weird since it's got higher base accuracy then its equivalents while Flamethrower is the same.

The other moves you list generally don't have a 90 / 100 relative (though running Surf over Hydro Pump is common or at least was, Alola might have changed things with its generally slower but bulkier / more offensive 'mon).

Though I admit until I read that list I didn't realise the extent those moves had proliferated too.
Cool, I guess trading 5 Pokemon over the GTS didn't count to get my Rare Candies and Friend Ball. Code won't show up despite getting the 4000 FC.

I'd send a ticket or whatever in, but honestly? It's just items I don't need anymore. When it comes time to get the Mega Stones I'll be prepared for this and inject them on my other game and trade them over should I need to. I have no idea how the internet features got this bad this generation, but wow.

Don't think the codes have gone out yet, there's usually a pretty significant lead time on code give aways from online stuff (eg Enter the Dragon Tournament was 20 Feb 2015, the HA Amaura wasn't available until March 31). I haven't got mine yet either but wasn't expecting too.

Say that to Porygon2 one of the most common pokemon in the meta due to that item!

Thats not really an argument about it being a bad idea as implemented, there's like 3 Pokemon it makes almost outright better than their evolved forms, a huge variety it doesn't help enough, and it utterly dominates in Little Cup formats. For the general goal of making NFE comparable to FEs it's not great.

Though I'm biased since an item that does that seems to be missing the point of evolution and how it can tell whether Pokemon have evolutions is fairly nonsensical in a world with the Upgrade and Dubious Disc which where invented after Porygon even by the lax standard of Pokemon logic.

Top Bottom