• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

So what's the ove/under on chances of Pokemon news in a few hours?
All I would expect is maybe a Pokemon spin off. I don't expect Bank or Stars info at all. Stars seems like E3 or later because they don't want it to hurt the sales of Sun and Moon, and Bank has no use on Switch yet.

All I would expect is maybe a Pokemon spin off. I don't expect Bank or Stars info at all. Stars seems like E3 or later because they don't want it to hurt the sales of Sun and Moon, and Bank has no use on Switch yet.
I'm pretty sure they'd rather have strong launch momentum with switch than more sun/moon sales. Showing pokemon could be a big deal. sun/moon have already done the bulk of their sales.

Man, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I'm kinda bummed out about the future of Pokemon after the Switch presentation. Pokemon games are probably going to be 60 bucks going forward and there's also the Switch's price point on top of that. I guess I really appreciated the affordability of the old handhelds and their games. Hell, with the way things are looking, you won't even be able to play Pokemon online anymore without paying up. I mean, yeah, Pokemon is going to look amazing on the Switch, but for me personally it's going to really hurt my wallet.

Man, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I'm kinda bummed out about the future of Pokemon after the Switch presentation. Pokemon games are probably going to be 60 bucks going forward and there's also the Switch's price point on top of that. I guess I really appreciated the affordability of the old handhelds and their games. Hell, with the way things are looking, you won't even be able to play Pokemon online anymore without paying up. I mean, yeah, Pokemon is going to look amazing on the Switch, but for me personally it's going to really hurt my wallet.

I can understand your situation. It does suck especially because the target audience isn't even people that buy their own consoles. Also the Switch is barely a handheld with that abysmal battery life.

For me, while I'd like to play Zelda. Im going to wait for the Pokémon announcement. That's my system seller.

Man, missing two Play Roughs in a row really sucks. =/

EDIT: I keep losing because Play Rough keeps missing. I thought this move was supposed to be good?

Man, missing two Play Roughs in a row really sucks. =/

EDIT: I keep losing because Play Rough keeps missing. I thought this move was supposed to be good?

I had a battle a while ago where I missed 4/6 Fleur Cannons.

Two more shinies today... Starmie and Togedemaru. They really happen a lot when chaining.

Do you still have the link for the code? I'm REALLY interested in this (if you don't, I'll google it, don't bother looking for it)

Well, they could do one less roll...

Yes, thinking about it, you're probably right...

I still don't understand why the function require a different number of random values for the same situation, though (except when you roll a shiny, obviously). I really need to look into assembly.

I you have trouble finding it I'll send you the copy I saved after I get off work this evening, drop me a PM if you still need it.

They could just do one less roll, I guess it was up to the discretion of the programmer. I would say that the current approach is cleaner tbh.

Greddleok

I think I'm done with the game. Over 100 hours, and a great time, but finishing the pokédex just feels like a chore.

Tempted to restart and play through it again, but damn, I spent so many hours breeding perfect IV pokémon...

Easily one of the best pokémon games I've played.

Juicy Bob

I just hatched 30 Magikarp eggs trying to see if I could breed my first ever shiny through the Masuda Method.

I then questioned what the hell I was doing with my life.

Wichu

I still don't understand why the function require a different number of random values for the same situation, though (except when you roll a shiny, obviously). I really need to look into assembly.

It's because of the IV inheritance. For each inherited IV (either 3 or 5), it rolls a random stat to inherit. If that stat has already been picked, it rolls again until it gets a stat that hasn't been picked yet. I think you can see why this can cause different numbers of rolls.

NSESN

Today I changed my Battle tree team to Koko, Lele and Buzzwole. I got me 43 straight wins but then a salac berry Venusaur destroyed me.

spiritfox

OMG YES SHINY CUTIEFLY

t1hWr6R.jpg

Wait, I thought the won who initiates Perish Song is the one who loses in case of a tie? =/

Nope. They changed it (not sure when). It's now a legit win condition that some people use. Wolfe Glick has a politoed team that runs Perish Song. His aim is to win the numbers game and bring in Politoed to pretty much guarantee the win.

It's also why we see Perish trappers like mega gengar and stuff now.

Edit: I was wrong. Kinda. It's speed based. So if your opponent uses Perish Song and you both die, the faster Pokémon will faint first.

I tried to look it up lol. I'm not seeing a direct answer however.

Koren

It's because of the IV inheritance. For each inherited IV (either 3 or 5), it rolls a random stat to inherit. If that stat has already been picked, it rolls again until it gets a stat that hasn't been picked yet. I think you can see why this can cause different numbers of rolls.
Yes, it nearly make sense. Nearly because I see at least two deterministic methods that won't need such a solution, which I find crude.

I you have trouble finding it I'll send you the copy I saved after I get off work this evening, drop me a PM if you still need it.
Thanks for the help. Took me some time, but I think I found most of the details. I'll try to write my own code, I'll see if it's working.

The only think missing now is some data on how to get the Mersenne twister seed from the eggs (Should I be able to reduce the number of eggs you need to hatch and the soft resets, I'd feel better...)

They could just do one less roll, I guess it was up to the discretion of the programmer. I would say that the current approach is cleaner tbh.
They could also do the roll in each case with the egg RNG...

OMG YES SHINY CUTIEFLY
Congratulations... With perfect IVs to book (well, near perfect if you're one of those that strictly want 0 in Atk for special attackers...)

Welcome. At the end of this road lies only despair and suffering.
Well, it's a good way to keep your hand occupied when you're listening to a radio or TV show ;)

Koren

When determining shinyness for an egg the game will look at additional PIDs when you are using the Masuda Method(5 more) and shiny charm(3 more) and take the first shiny PID it finds.

Fun trivia: The reason that you need to use either Shiny Charm or Masuda Method is because if you don't the PIDs of your eggs are determined by an entirely different RNG which has no connection to the egg RNG. The game will always discard this PID when using either Shiny Charm or Masuda Method(yes even if it's shiny!) and replace it with one that comes from the main egg RNG.
I'm currently working on possibly wrong software but...

1) it says 2 rolls for charm, 6 rolls for Masuda, 8 for both. Are you sure of your 3/5?

2) there's a roll before MM/SC PID rolls, which is labeled as PID... I wonder
- whether PID when not using SC/MM is really from a different RNG (which I would find strange, especially if there's an unused roll at this exact step in the egg generation),
- whether they use a different function to compute the egg shininess value from PID when you use SC/MM tan when you don't
- whether the original roll is indeed for the PID, the PID>ESV function is the same, but the roll result>PID is not the same for non-SC/MM roll and for SC/MM rolls.

I really need to look more into the assembly.

(I have to much work to go on farther, but I have a rough software that explore the egg tree to find the shortest path to a target, I hope I'll be able to make it work... I just dread the part where I'll have to do the 127 magikarp thing to get my seed to do real tests :/ )

I'm currently working on possibly wrong software but...

1) it says 2 rolls for charm, 6 rolls for Masuda, 8 for both. Are you sure of your 3/5?

2) there's a roll before MM/SC PID rolls, which is labeled as PID... I wonder
- whether PID when not using SC/MM is really from a different RNG (which I would find strange, especially if there's an unused roll at this exact step in the egg generation),
- whether they use a different function to compute the egg shininess value from PID when you use SC/MM tan when you don't
- whether the original roll is indeed for the PID, the PID>ESV function is the same, but the roll result>PID is not the same for non-SC/MM roll and for SC/MM rolls.

I really need to look more into the assembly.

(I have to much work to go on farther, but I have a rough software that explore the egg tree to find the shortest path to a target, I hope I'll be able to make it work... I just dread the part where I'll have to do the 127 magikarp thing to get my seed to do real tests :/ )

Oh you're right, I must have misremembered.

Initial testing by Omega Donut over at smogon found that this method was unsuited for shinyness manipulation because he kept getting unpredictable PIDs for the same eggs. Other users in the thread were getting static PIDs and the difference was found to be because of SC and MM.

Do you have save game access? PkHex can show you your seed.

Koren

Initial testing found that this method was unsuited for shinyness manipulation because the tester, who was not using either SC or MM, kept getting unpredictable PIDs for the same eggs.
I wish I could test this...

Or even what "unpredictable PID" means exactly.

What would the RNG roll between the innate IV ones and the SC/MM method ones if not the one that set the PID? Could it be one of the last two rolls, unaccounted for?

Do you have save game access? PkHex can show you your seed.
No. It would definitively makes things easier, but I'm reluctant to do anything hack-related on my hardware. I'll probably do it once, though, to be able to transfer my AC save on a cart and do a backup, but beside this...

GeekyDad

Falling so much in love with this game (Moon). I really do miss the little chibi sprites, but I love what they've done here. X & Y couldn't really hold my attention, but the vibe, design, artwork, just everything about this one is such a nice sweet spot for me in terms of what I want from a Pokemon RPG. And honestly, I never "catch them all" or do shit all for stat building my Pokemon. I just love the journey, and this one is the breath of fresh air I think I've been waiting for. Nothing feels forced (except for sitting through Z-animations :D ). Fucking fun!

I wish I could test this...

Or even what "unpredictable PID" means exactly.

What would the RNG roll between the innate IV ones and the SC/MM method ones if not the one that set the PID? Could it be one of the last two rolls, unaccounted for?

No. It would definitively makes things easier, but I'm reluctant to do anything hack-related on my hardware. I'll probably do it once, though, to be able to transfer my AC save on a cart and do a backup, but beside this...

I've been rereading the smogon thread about this and apparently the value you are referring to is the encryption constant for the pokemon.

Speaking of boxes, how did I suddenly get 16 boxes? I was starting to get concerned I would be running out of room soon

Once you have a pokemon in each of your initial 8 boxes, you get 8 more. Happens again with 16. If you want them immediately, put one pokemon in each box, leave the pc and reopen it, and voila.

Yo I got a question for Sun owners, in order to finish filling out my pokedex, I need to get Solgaleo, Buzzwole, Kartana. Can anyone trade me these pokemon and I can trade them back?

I will be around all weekend. Just PM me if someone can help me out quickly :3

FC is 5258-0911-0880 IGN is Rin.

Demoli

After 21 boxes i finally got my Shiny Porygon

aaand it has 31 Spe IVs

in fact, 31s in everything but attack

Honestly, whatever man i'm using it even if it'll lose speed ties in vgc

Karu

Finally beat the game. Had Exp Share off 90% of the time and on "Set", but had to reverse those at the end, would have taken another ten hours otherwise. :D

At the end I clocked in at ~40 hours.
Pokedex - 117
Final Team:

Decidueye Lv 57 aka Sylvester
Granbull Lv 57
Metagross Lv 49
Ninetales Lv 50
Marowak Lv 57 aka Ghone
Lycanroc (Sun) Lv 59 aka Roko

Had to also make heavy use of a type chart. Having internalized the Red/Blue chart plus the added difficulty really made me put in some kind of effort. It made the whole game better for it, no question. Pokemon Sun will land on spot 2 on my GotY 2016 list.

alvmew

I have a few new things bred for anyone interested in 4/5 IV (as well as the stuff from my old lists - see here and here).

• Moon Ball Oranguru (Sassy), Telepathy & Inner Focus w/ Egg Moves:
- Extrasensory
- Psychic Terrain
- Wonder Room

• Level Ball Torkoal (Quiet), Drought & White Smoke w/ Egg Moves:
- Eruption
- Yawn
- Superpower
- Fissure

• Pokeball Litten (Adamant), Blaze w/ Egg Moves:
- Revenge
- Crunch
- Fake Out

• Timer Ball Pikipek (Adamant), all abilities including HA w/ Egg Moves:
- Brave Bird

IGN: Luis
FC: 1547-6519-8426

ReiGun

IGN: Luis
FC: 1547-6519-8426

• Beast Ball Dratini (Jolly) - all abilities including HA w/ Egg Moves:
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Aqua Jet
- Dragon Rush

• Love Ball Vulpix (Timid) - all with HA w/ Egg Moves:
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore
- Moonblast

• Fast Ball Pichu (Modest) - I only have them with the normal ability since Alolan Raichu doesn't have a HA w/ Egg Moves:
- Electric Terrain
- Wish
- Encore
- Fake Out

• Lure Ball Bagon (Jolly), Rock Head w/ Egg Moves:
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Thrash
- Hydro Pump

• Beast Ball Cubone (Adamant) - all abilities including HA w/ Egg Moves:
- Belly Drum
- Chip Away
- Ancient Power
- Iron Head
Can I have these? Here is what I can offer (everything with at least 3/4 IVs, some have 5):

Dusk Ball Mimikyu (Jolly and Bold)
-Curse
-Nightmare
-Destiny Bond
-Grudge

Ultra Ball Cutiefly (Timid) - Shield Dust and Honey Gather
-Absorb
-Baton Pass
-Moonblast

Quick Ball Grimer (Adamant) - Gluttony and Poison Touch
-Poison Gas
-Shadow Sneak