• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Nepenthe

Finally got the Shiny Charm after acquiring a Celesteela (seriously, WTF is up with Celesteela trading?), and wanted to put it to work. Was going to start from Pikipek and work my way up the Dex, but found a Bonsly instead. Decided "why not?" since I like its colors and chained it.

Got a four-IV Shiny Bonsly with Sturdy after only 75 SOS calls, three of which were Happiny and two of which were Sudowoodo! Has a Calm Nature which is not optimal at all, but all in all couldn't be more satisfied. Now for an actual Pikipek!

I really like the whole situation of sun and moon being isolated from the old games in terms of no pokebank. Really wish they waited longer to add it

I really like the whole situation of sun and moon being isolated from the old games in terms of no pokebank. Really wish they waited longer to add it
Yeah, I am going to miss this meta. Hopefully a few new things keep their current status, but the return of the genies and... Grassium-Z Heatran ...are going to give a lot of them a run for their money.

It was even better in X/Y. Things got really fun when Bank was up for one day and got pulled so for the next month there was an insane economy around previous gen legendaries and Unown. At least the breedable stuff wasn't too hard to come by, friend of mine got a Mudkip over Wonder Trade and we both used that to get the rest of them.

Crayolan

Hilariously enough, the NPCs in Battle Royal don't have this restriction. I saw a Mega Lopunny, for instance.
Hell you can get a partner with Houndoomite for multi battles. Hoping the weirdness with the mega stones is resolved along with the update. I don't like megas, but they can't just put the data in there then not let you use it the whole gen.

Whenever Stars/the next game releases, it'll probably have the remaining mega stones and you'll be able to trade them into SM.

Diablos54

Haven't played a Pokemon game since Soul Silver so i'm excited to see how much has changed once it and my N3DSXL arrive! Anything i really need to know?

Red

For real. There needs to be a toggle for this. By far the worst part about breeding. I loathe the riding music...
Tell me about it. I've played a huge amount of this game with the sound turned off because of how repetitive the ride theme makes the soundtrack feel. There are some great tracks and I wish they didn't get bumped aside by the game's worst song every time you need to bypass an obstacle or move a little faster.

StoneFox

Haven't played a Pokemon game since Soul Silver so i'm excited to see how much has changed once it and my N3DSXL arrive! Anything i really need to know?
Mostly that the Fairy type exists. Anything else is nothing that you can't get used to right away as someone who has played a game from the series before.

Certain abilities like Sturdy have been changed since Gen 4, with of course some new ones. Status move have been nerfed such as paralyzing only reduces speed by half and burn does not reduce HP as much. Some pokemon like Pelipper and Raichu got stat boosts and Flygon has Dragon Dance now.

Just catch whatever looks cool to use :)

Tell me about it. I've played a huge amount of this game with the sound turned off because of how repetitive the ride theme makes the soundtrack feel. There are some great tracks and I wish they didn't get bumped aside by the game's worst song every time you need to bypass an obstacle or move a little faster.
Yup. The very second I'm about to start breeding, I turn the volume off and listen to something else entirely. The ride theme gets old FAST

Crayolan

Ride music sucks and GF knows it, that's why in the 2 places with the best music in the game ride music doesn't override the regular music.

AzureFlame

Am i the only one who thinks the OST is not good and forgettable? the only game in the main series that i didn't like almost all of it's soundtracks.

SuperOrez

Some dude was trying to charge $20 bucks for a tourney in my hometown this weekend. Said he had ten confirmed entrants. That seems pretty excessive yeah? I guess I'm just used to $7 smash tourneys.

Wiseblade

Some dude was trying to charge $20 bucks for a tourney in my hometown this weekend. Said he had ten confirmed entrants. That seems pretty excessive yeah? I guess I'm just used to $7 smash tourneys.
What are you paying for? Running a Smash tournament has equipment requirements that simply don't exist for Pokémon. The only expense on the TO side is the venue fee.

Man Pokémon Threads on GAF are so confusing for me. I've always played Pokémon games in the German versions. Most Pokémon, Cities, Attacks, Items have different names in the German version.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about -_-

It took me a while to get all the English names of Gen1 for PokémonGO but no way I will learn all other gens. I hardly know most of the German names.

Red

Am i the only one who thinks the OST is not good and forgettable? the only game in the main series that i didn't like almost all of it's soundtracks.
There are plenty of good tracks. I really like the Malie city night track. Probably my favorite so far.

Shengar

For real. There needs to be a toggle for this. By far the worst part about breeding. I loathe the riding music...
Just exit the area and the music will be changed.
If it were not for the unnecessarily lengthily fly animation, I would've fly to foot of Mount Lanakila for egg hatching.

Not really. SM Trainer and Wild Pokemon theme are decent at the very least. Then we have one of the best Legendary Pokemon theme (The Tapus) and definitely the greatest Victory Road theme (too bad it's the Victory Road is too short).

I probably biased with the latter considering how eerily similar it is with a certain MH Generation theme

RockmanBN

I really didn't like the champion theme or the remix of Lances/Red's theme. The only memorable themes to me are the Kahuna Battle theme, Gladion's battle theme, and Lusamine's battle theme.

Also I finally got my shiny type Null after soft resetting for over 30 hours with 2 3DSs. I screwed up twice resetting it without noticing.

Koren

Congratulations... That's some dedication!

Man Pokémon Threads on GAF are so confusing for me. I've always played Pokémon games in the German versions. Most Pokémon, Cities, Attacks, Items have different names in the German version.
It's so annoying that I stopped playing those games in my own language...

Well, strictly speaking, I still do a run in my language only to hunt "foreign" dittos ;)

Red

I really didn't like the champion theme or the remix of Lances/Red's theme. The only memorable themes to me are the Kahuna Battle theme, Gladion's battle theme, and Lusamine's battle theme.

Also I finally got my shiny type Null after soft resetting for over 30 hours with 2 3DSs. I screwed uo twice resetting it without noticing.
I got a shiny Silvally over GTS, can't imagine doing 30hrs of resets.

It took me a while to get all the English names of Gen1 for PokémonGO but no way I will learn all other gens. I hardly know most of the German names.
I used to play in English and Japanese (to get a 6 month head-start) and sometimes I don't even know which name is English anymore when it comes to Gen 5. Still have to look up what they changed the level 54 birds to constantly... mostly because of Mandibuzz's Japanese name being hilarious.

I can definitely sympathize with not knowing what people are talking about with different names. Drives me insane when people just start typing in English and use not only the Japanese name but their own interpretations of it. "Zorro'ark" is the moment when I stop taking people seriously.

I used to play in English and Japanese (to get a 6 month head-start) and sometimes I don't even know which name is English anymore when it comes to Gen 5. Still have to look up what they changed the level 54 birds to constantly... mostly because of Mandibuzz's Japanese name being hilarious.

I can definitely sympathize with not knowing what people are talking about with different names. Drives me insane when people just start typing in English and use not only the Japanese name but their own interpretations of it. "Zorro'ark" is the moment when I stop taking people seriously.

I still have that issue specifically with Gen 5. An ex girlfriend got me Black version early. When the game came out in English later I sped through the game only to never learn any of the English names. It still kinda messes me up. I still call Audino-Tabunne.

Demoli

I kinda do this with some gen 5 mons cause i played Smogon OU before the games came out. I still reference Excadrill as doryuuzu sometimes.

On another topic, anyone from Moon got a cloud nine drampa i could have? I have a few things for trade if you need something.

Izayoi

Banned
But guys, you just have to change rooms and the ride music is gone. So it's at least somewhat avoidable.
When you've been breeding for over 100 hours the nearby route and ranch music also starts to drag, but yes, at least they are less terrible than the ride music itself.

Okay the ride theme is great y'all very confused
No way. I much prefer the area music in literally every single case.

Ride music sucks and GF knows it, that's why in the 2 places with the best music in the game ride music doesn't override the regular music.
Yupppp

You're definitely in the minority here. It's the best OST since BW, if not ever.

Just exit the area and the music will be changed.
If it were not for the unnecessarily lengthily fly animation, I would've fly to foot of Mount Lanakila for egg hatching.
I know, but it's an annoyance. (And after thousands of eggs, the time wasted really adds up.)

Demoli

Quick question, can you do Mega Evolution and a Z-move in the same battle, or is it gonna be one or the other? Thanks!

They both require a item, so no you can't.

Even rayquaza, the only one that can mega evolve without using an item, can't use a Z-move after mega evolving.

So in one battle, my Tsareena missed a Play Rough and a High Jump Kick which cost me a match on battle 1. No big deal, right? Get this.

Went back in and on the first battle vs. an Incineroar, Tsareena missed another High Jump Kick immediately and got KO'd. Then I sent out my Lycanroc who missed a Rock Slide then got KO'd. Sent out my Pyukumuku...who missed TWO Toxics in a row! There's just no way. This thing HAD to have a Lax Incense or Bright Powder. Nope, it had Leftovers. un-fucking-believable. I think I'm done with this game for the day lol.

Demoli

So in one battle, my Tsareena missed a Play Rough and a High Jump Kick which cost me a match on battle 1. No big deal, right? Get this.

Went back in and on the first battle vs. an Incineroar, Tsareena missed another High Jump Kick immediately and got KO'd. Then I sent out my Lycanroc who missed a Rock Slide then got KO'd. Sent out my Pyukumuku...who missed TWO Toxics in a row! There's just no way. This thing HAD to have a Lax Incense or Bright Powder. Nope, it had Leftovers. un-fucking-believable. I think I'm done with this game for the day lol.

Thats why I'm so scared of using gunk shot muk tbh.

Gunk shot is an okay trade off of low accuracy and high power. Although it's sad that 80% is low accuracy.

Anything below 100% (heck, sometimes even moves at 100%) is too low. I basically do a mini-prayer every time I have my Mimikyu use Play Rough. It's the primary reason I replaced Stone Edge with Earthquake on my Lucario.

I'm actually considering switching my Jolly Lucario for a Timid one just so I can use Aura Sphere.

Demoli

Anything below 100% (heck, sometimes even moves at 100%) is too low. I basically do a mini-prayer every time I have my Mimikyu use Play Rough. It's the primary reason I replaced Stone Edge with Earthquake on my Lucario.

I'm actually considering switching my Jolly Lucario for a Timid one just so I can use Aura Sphere.

Thats not true, low accuraxcy moves, even 80% ones, are still very much worth using cause they provide neede power boost, and in cases like stone edge, coverage.

Fighting+Rock is a fantastic attacking duo that covers common resistences from both sides. In the Meanwhile, Ground doesn't cover any of fighting's weaknesses and shares quite a few super effective typings, namely rock and Steel, hitting Poison, Fire and electric extra.

Meanwhile, Rock hits flying, bug, fire and ice, with only ive being a shared advantage and flying a resistence. Also, Close Combat is 100% accuracy iirc.

Speaking of move coverages, Marshadow is gonna be great, his dual stabs are, at least as of gen 5 but i think eeven now, perfect neutral coverage.

Thats not true, low accuraxcy moves, even 80% ones, are still very much worth using cause they provide neede power boost, and in cases like stone edge, coverage.

Fighting+Rock is a fantastic attacking duo that covers common resistences from both sides. In the Meanwhile, Ground doesn't cover any of fighting's weaknesses and shares quite a few super effective typings, namely rock and Steel, hitting Poison, Fire and electric extra.

Meanwhile, Rock hits flying, bug, fire and ice, with only ive being a shared advantage and flying a resistence. Also, Close Combat is 100% accuracy iirc.

Speaking of move coverages, Marshadow is gonna be great, his dual stabs are, at least as of gen 5 but i think eeven now, perfect neutral coverage.

Well, if I were going to use a Timid Lucario, I would have these four moves:

- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- HP Rock

Missing is just too costly for me.

Jay RaR

Doesn't cover flying and in Gen 7 fairy, but yeah good coverage. I don't know its stats and movepool though.

Demoli

Well, if I were going to use a Jolly Lucario, I would have these four moves:

- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- HP Rock

Missing is just too costly for me.

Just a quick aside if you are gonna start breeding for it: You want timid not jolly for special attackers.

But honestly, Special lucario is rough man. Limited movepool where the only good moves are aura sphere/focus blast, flash cannon, and then a few coverage moves in Psychic, Shadow Ball and a Hidden Power of your choice. Access to nasty Plot is nice, but that base 90 speed isn't taking you nowhere.

Like, i get missing sucks, we all had our stone and focus misses, but that extra power counts for a lot and for a pokemon where his highest attacking stat is 115 attack it's even more important tograb certain KO's.

Doesn't cover flying and in Gen 7 fairy, but yeah good coverage. I don't know its stats and movepool though.

Shadow Ball hits flying and fairy neutral and i don't think there a fairy-type combination that resists both of the stabs.

Just a quick aside if you are gonna start breeding for it: You want timid not jolly for special attackers.

But honestly, Special lucario is rough man. Limited movepool where the only good moves are aura sphere/focus blast, flash cannon, and then a few coverage moves in Psychic, Shadow Ball and a Hidden Power of your choice. Access to nasty Plot is nice, but that base 90 speed isn't taking you nowhere.

Like, i get missing sucks, we all had our stone and focus misses, but that extra power counts for a lot and for a pokemon where his highest attacking stat is 115 attack it's even more important tograb certain KO's.

That was a typo. I already have a perfect Jolly Lucario lol.

Also, I want a Timid Lucario for the Battle Tree. After losing far too many matches to Bright Power/Lax Incense/Double Team/Minimize, I've come to realize that the most important factor for doing well in the Battle Tree is consistency.

You can have all your defenses up, have good set-ups, etc., but then your opponent gets a lucky critical hit (sometimes twice/thrice in a row), a one-hit KO, or you keep missing and everything falls apart. I'm so tired of it.

EDIT: Oh, and I use Mega Lucario.

Demoli

I mean, battle tree eventually becomes a toss up, because at a certain point, quick claws, brightpowders, evasion moves, focus sashes on your pokemon's counters and worst of all one hit KOs(FUCK that gen 3 walrein), you're gonna lose, 100% accuracy or not.

Like, at one point, this guy is gonna walk in, slap your pokemon with a fissure, and ruin your streak.

Walrein
Attacks:
Sheer Cold
Fissure
Rest
Sleep Talk
Hold Item:

Lax Incense

Edit: Mega Lucario should be even better physical, Adaptability Close Combat should OHKO 70% of the tree.

Top Bottom