• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

There's no "technical impossibility" here though.
Literally the same page as my post
Game data on cart is a read only chip, you can't flash it.

Save can be written, but you can't add things to the save that the game does not recognize, or it says save is corrupted.

Example:
Let's say items go from 000 to 100. If I edit the save adding an item with code 101, the game will give a glitch and say that the save is corrupted.

So even if they add the patch with new items you can't save on the cart, because the cart has to be played on any 3ds, even if they don't have a patch or internet connection.

We all knew that a patch to add new megas to XY was impossible. Well, at least those with some brain.

X and Y weren't set up for new Megas. Adding them causes the game to think the cartridge is corrupt.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh. Well. It sucks for people who play online, I guess. Not that it makes any difference to me, though. I can't personally feel outraged at something that has absolutely no impact on the way I'll play the game.

There's no "technical impossibility" here though. Patches are a thing, and X/Y itself has been patched once.

Twice, actually.

upandaway

Literally the same page as my post

X and Y weren't set up for new Megas. Adding them causes the game to think the cartridge is corrupt.
Geez, people said this before, but this quoted explanation doesn't explain why it's impossible to battle with ORAS Megas. No item or whatever is on the save file, it's just a battle happening wirelessly. A patch is definitely possible.

Ignoring the inherent question whether it's okay for GF to have not considered making XY scalable forward, considering how consistent the Pokemon release schedule is. Don't forget that they were smart enough to make PokeBank to help make XY, and all future Pokemon games, transfer-proof.

i think we can forgive them for the ORAS/ XY incompatibility, because generations are now over, if you are competitive you will have to buy a game a year, and use pokemon bank

i think they will keep the customization for kalos 2 with new clothes, better engine (optimized for n3ds), amiibo, and more new megas

i think we can forgive them for the ORAS/ XY incompatibility, because generations are now over, if you are competitive you will have to buy a game a year, and use pokemon bank
No. Bollocks to forgiving them just because they've decided to go down a less consumer-friendly route.

We've gone from games being obsolete after 4 years to after 1 year at a stroke. That deserves more than a shrug.

udivision

No. Bollocks to forgiving them just because they've decided to go down a less consumer-friendly route.

We've gone from games being obsolete after 4 years to after 1 year at a stroke. That deserves more than a shrug.

What can people actually do? This is Game Freak and Nintendo. I don't think they're bad at responding to the competitive scene's interest, but they're certainly at the very bottom of the list.

Besides, since money is involved (more revenue from more frequent releases) I don't think it's even in their best interest to change how intra-gen compatibility will work down the line.

JoeM86

I can imagine that they're taking note of the issues here and will plan accordingly with the next gen so that it can be patched in such a manner.

I refuse to believe that a developer who've worked on a series that has made such a thing about extending the life of their games through hidden downloadables is ignorant of the potentials of patching.

This won't change for the next gen, nor for the one after. This is the new money-grubbing normal.

JoeM86

I refuse to believe that a developer who've worked on a series that has made such a thing about extending the life of their games through hidden downloadables is ignorant of the potentials of patching.

This won't change for the next gen, nor for the one after. This is the new money-grubbing normal.

I dunno. For me, it seems like the plan initially wasn't to include more Megas in future game and as such, the games weren't coded with something to allow for blocking it from loading the save if it has content that needs a patch.

I do agree that they should at least do a patch to go online and be able to battle the Megas, even if it's not possible to have it in the game.

Galang

Banned
I'm only still interested because R/S is my personal favorite generation. The lack of trainer customization bothers me more than anything else. I was hoping they'd improve it and include more variation for skin tones, but I guess not. Disappointing

Zubz

Banned
Doesn't matter to me, once I have ORAS, I won't even think about going back to X and Y.

Although that may be true, I still hate the fact they're doing nothing about this, unlike in previous gens. It just irks me, and I'm really disappointed in GameFreak over this for caving into the "Yearly Installment" mentality here.

Top Bottom