• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black/White Launches on March 6th

Lkr

Littleberu said:
Any deals on Platinum or Silver/Gold going on right now?
heart gold is $20 at best buy. HURRY!!!!!

I am nervous about the design changes, but I will have to buy it anyway.

DMG-01

I think double dipping on Pokemon games is becoming a tradition for me. I can wait for sure, but will probably get day 1 anyway. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Emonga said:
What does Munna mean?

I suppose its evo will stay Musharna as well.

No idea, Bulbapedia doesn't say :lol. Still sounds cool.

To recap:

Tsutarja = Snivy
Pokabu = Tepig
Mijumaru = Oshawott
Yanappu = Pansage
Baoppu = Pansear
Hiyappu = Panpour
Munna = Munna
Mamepato = Pidove
Shimama = Blitzle
Meguroko = Sandile
Hihidaruma = Darmanitan
Gigaiasu = Gigalith
Zorua = Zorua
Zoroark = Zoroark
Chillarmy = Minccino
Giaru = Klink
Reshiram = Reshiram
Zekrom = Zekrom

N = N
Tean Plasma = Team Plasma
Professor Araragi = Professor Juniper
Hiun City = Castelia City

DMG-01

ColtraineGF said:
Hmm, another thread, eh?

New names:

Mamepato = Pidove
Hihidaruma = Darmanitan
Meguroko = Sandile
Giaru = Klink
Gigaiasu = Gigalith
Chillarmy = Mincchino
Shimama = Blitzle
Munna keeps it's name.

src: http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/
I actually like all of those names except for Klink, but that's only because Gear was such a fitting name in the way Seel is. Also, could someone explain the etymology behind Mincchino?

Emonga said:
What does Munna mean?

I suppose its evo will stay Musharna as well.
If you mean in the context of English, the same thing that Pikachu, Pachirisu, etc. means. :p
No idea what it means in Japanese though. Probably something about dreams.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sweet! I'm gonna go into this one as blind as possible. I don't know much about any of the pokemon or the locales. :D

beje

Banned
Vanille said:
what the fuck

Indeed :\

Well, I still have to see the spanish-transalated locations (we get the same english Pokémon name over here). They're usually hit and miss since they're not based on plants/colours/spices since Gen III, but I usually like the english version more.

I never even noticed Pidove's ability:

Pigeon Heart = "Big Pecks"

:lol

Other abilities:

Overconfidence = Moxie
Encourage = Sheer Force

Also, I spent the last hour or so shoveling snow, so sorry for those who thought it was spelled with an 'H' (Minaccino)

DMG-01 said:
If you mean in the context of English, the same thing that Pikachu, Pachirisu, etc. means. :p
No idea what it means in Japanese though. Probably something about dreams.
Obviously I meant what it means in Japanese.

I would answer that, if I knew...

In any case,to summarize for other languages:

Japanese/English/Spanish/German/French/Italian
Isshu/Unova/Teselia/Einall/Unys/Unima
Araragi/Juniper/Encina/Esche/Keteleeria/Aralia
Hiun/Castelia/Porcelana/Austropoli/Volucité/Austropoli

Mamepato/Pidove/---/Dusselgurr/Poichigeon/---
Hihidaruma/Darmanitan/---/Flampivian/Darumacho/---
Meguroko/Sandile/---/Ganovil/Mascaïman/---
Giaru/Klink/---/Klikk/Tic/---
Gigaiasu/Gigalith/---/Brockoloss/Gigalithe/---
Chillarmy/Mincchino/---/Picochilla/Chinchidou/---
Shimama/Blitzle/---/Elezeba/Zébibron/---
Munna/---/---/Somniam/---/---

swerve

Dreamwriter said:
I'm betting that Nintendo is going to surprise everyone with 3DS versions of the games

No, that's sort of throwing money away when they have no reason to do so.

But you know back when all the original leaks about the 'new DS' were around, the first one said that the PokeMon company were already having fun with it. Then they changed the art style to 3D.

Plug the standard DS Pkmn B/W into a 3DS and boom, 3D. BELIEVE :/

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ah, so Nintendo is finally announcing there March releases, eh? The 3DS is obviously going to be late(r) March, but I wonder what Nintendo plans on releasing for the Wii in March (assuming they plan to at all). They don't have too many choices if they want to avoid making any of their fanbases happy!

EDIT: Actually chances are they won't release anything else but Mario Sports Mix since they seem to hate releasing Q1 Wii games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I figured they'd launch 'em alongside the 3DS as Crystal did with the GBA (well kinda, GBA actually came out a month before it), R/S with the GBASP and HG/SS with the DSiXL. That and most main PKMN games getting released in the middle to end of March instead of the beginning. NOA sure can be screwy at times.

Salsa

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I got excited for a minute and realised that as TWL games, I won't be able to import because my DSi is PAL region locked.

>:-(

Isnt there a way to get around that with a flashcart ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I got excited for a minute and realised that as TWL games, I won't be able to import because my DSi is PAL region locked.

>:-(
Why import something that will come to Europe the same week.

Chris1964 said:
Why import something that will come to Europe the same week.
Link?

Also, Salsashark, the DSi OS is licked down tight, so certain flashcarts no longer work, especially for TWL games. Also, I would rather have my saves on the legit card, if you don't mind.

Chris1964 said:
There isn't an announcement. HG/SS made it, B/W will make it too.
Region locking makes that scenario much less of a certainty in my eyes.

Also, if I import, I pay just over half the price at launch. DS games cost ~$70 USD here brand new.

Salsa

Link?

Also, Salsashark, the DSi OS is licked down tight, so certain flashcarts no longer work, especially for TWL games. Also, I would rather have my saves on the legit card, if you don't mind.

But the flashcarts run them in their DS (not DSi enhaced) versions right ? wouldnt this mean it would make it region free ?

SlickVic

Still debating on whether to preorder. Amazon and Walmart had a price war for HG/SS a couple weeks after that came out dropping the prices down quite a bit, so wonder if I should wait it out a bit to see if it happens again. But who am I kidding, probably gonna get this Day 1. Besides, Amazon is showing $34.99 right now, which doesn't piss me off nearly as much as when they try to sell DS games for $40.

Styles

Marked as the 10th on my calendar, cause the game usually releases on a Thursday here. I'm so excited.

Edit: I take that back, will just wait for the announcement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ColtraineGF said:
I never even noticed Pidove's ability:

Pigeon Heart = "Big Pecks"

:lol

Other abilities:

Overconfidence = Moxie
Encourage = Sheer Force

Also, I spent the last hour or so shoveling snow, so sorry for those who thought it was spelled with an 'H' (Minaccino)

Do you mean "hatomune" (はとむね)? If so, you'd have to know very little Japanese to translate that was "pigeon heart". It means someone whose chest sticks out (like a pigeon).

Poyunch

And "Big Pecks" is somewhat clever since peck has a double meaning for the action of a beak poking at something or the shortened word for the pectoral muscle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. It's definitely a clever translation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So does black and white work with pokewalker?

Oh and Mijumaru forever!

295a005.png

cvxfreak

I'll grab the North American version of White. Already beat both Black and White in Japanese, but I'm getting the NA Black for migration purposes.

Stage On

No preorder bonus? I was hoping for more figures to put on my shelf.

On the plus side when I went to try and look up the Canadian price at gamestop.ca they actually have the upcoming event pokemon advertised which is a pleasant surprise since usually they ignore us

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
oblo said:
So I'm guessing somewhere mid-March for Europe... White, I'm so there.

You may be pleasantly surprised. Don't get so pessimistic yet!

Teknoman

White version, Oshawott for me. Havent had a water starter since... Totodile with original silver.

Now the question is...do I want to send over all the Pokemon i've trainer from Diamond -> Platinum -> Soul Silver to White :lol

biocat

Keyouta said:
On my birthday, huh? Seems like a good present...
Get out! That's MY birthday.

Seriously, it is. I already have the JP version, though, so you can claim this one my fellow Pisces.:D

Zefah said:
Do you mean "hatomune" (はとむね)? If so, you'd have to know very little Japanese to translate that was "pigeon heart". It means someone whose chest sticks out (like a pigeon).
It seems that this is the second time today. Strike one for winter blues :/

Nah, I didn't translate it, I'm aware of Pigeon Breast.

...Anyway, I find most of the newer names fairly OK. And 'Big Pecks' is just great. Never seen them do puns yet.

Keyouta

biocat said:
Get out! That's MY birthday.

Seriously, it is. I already have the JP version, though, so you can claim this one my fellow Pisces.:D

Well, actually, I have the Japanese version too. I'm staying in Japan until June. I was just saying that the English version would make a good bday present, haha.

AniHawk

Getting Pokemon Black.

Not... particularly looking forward to it, but Pokemon games have been like that for me since Ruby. I don't look forward to them, and even try to ignore their existence, but then they come out and consume my life for a few weeks and then it's back to not caring. I guess not doing the remakes or the many many spinoffs helps when it comes to the enjoyment factor.

biocat

Keyouta said:
Well, actually, I have the Japanese version too. I'm staying in Japan until June. I was just saying that the English version would make a good bday present, haha.
Well! I too live in Japan. This is quite the coincidence.
You aren't from California as well, are you?

Top Bottom