• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Fest's livestream is absolutely must-see

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Despite an influx of more money than god, it is no surprise to me that Niantic continue to fail at spectacular levels. They could have hired and replaced their core team with competent developers by now, but nope.

Maybe this global humiliation will start to turn the gears.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
2YGDugL.jpg

LOL

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
How does one (even if it's a small company) plan for such a BIG one-day event, just to not figure out server issues? You can say last year when the game started that no one saw it going to be as massive as it did, but now? C'mon...

Yeah, I'm having a hard time enjoying this from a trainwreck perspective. I like the concept of PokeMon GO, and it's shtity that the tech has never been able to fufill the game's potiental. But I appreciate Niantic making the effort, and trying to keep fans engaged over the past year. This just seems like a disaster of the worst type - where people involved tried their best, got in over their heads, and a lot of fans are going to have a bad experience as a result. It's frustrating that Niantic hasn't gotten their shit together, but they aren't even the real victims here.

The Sonic stream last year was a pleasurable disaster, because the Sonic brand has leaned into that madness. Plus, everyone attending was there for Comic-Con anyways. One shitty event doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

But this? I can imagine being a kid, and talking my parents into driving a bit too far out of the way to be a part of this. For it all to blow up in such a big way, that's just sad.

I completely agree... I'm also really into Pokemon Go still so I just feel really bad about this whole thing. I hope they pull tings together soon...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't tried taking this over sometimes. The gap between what the game is and what the game could be is immense, and leaves staggering amounts of money on the table.

evanmisha

Did they say a provider is actually throttling their traffic? Call them out, like... This is hurting your business, name them

evanmisha

If you're not watching this, set a damn alarm for the time the legendary battle is supposed to start and tune in. Because if it's anything like what's happening now, people are going to ballistic. It's the whole reason people even came down. If it fucks up?

evanmisha

Wow all those "manchild" booing and screaming. Learn some decency ffs

In all fairness, people paid money to get in and traveled from across the country. The game makes a shitload of cash and Niantic has had a long time to prepare for this event. On top of that, these people are the ones still playing after everyone else got turned off by Niantic's glacier pace implementing fixes and updates.

A boo isn't a fist. They can boo.

Alienous

If you're not watching this, set a damn alarm for the time the legendary battle is supposed to start and tune in. Because if it's anything like what's happening now, people are going to ballistic. It's the whole reason people even came down. If it fucks up?

It'll be less Ho-Oh and more Uh-oh.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Some people drove hours to go to the event... They paid money to be there... Nothing is working. The anger is completely justified. The game has been out for over a year now and the event doesn't have the severs to hold the people.

Wait a minute. I saw a notification to catch as many Pokémon as I can so I did for like a hour and going. You telling me that I've been wasting my time?

evanmisha

Wait a minute. I saw a notification to catch as many Pokémon as I can so I did for like a hour and going. You telling me that I've been wasting my time?

At this rate, I doubt any of the pre-determined goals matter. This is a dumpster fire for their reputation so I imagine they'll just unlock the highest reward tier and pretend it all went smoothly.

dark_chris

Gold Member

Dude, wtf is wrong with you?
People drove out of state or out of the country for this event and its not working as intended?
No, their anger is justified. Your words are wrong here.

At this rate, I doubt any of the pre-determined goals matter. This is a dumpster fire for their reputation so I imagine they'll just unlock the highest reward tier and pretend it all went smoothly.

I hope so. The chances of me and my kid getting a legendary is slim to none because of where we live so I atleast want something to trickle down so me and my daughter can do and take part of.

evanmisha

I hope so. The chances of me and my kid getting a legendary is slim to none because of where we live so I atleast want something to trickle down so me and my daughter can do and take part of.

When legendaries are implemented, the raid countdown timer will apparently be 48 hours so you will luckily have plenty of time to prepare a trip into the city to catch something cool.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

This I totally see. "Ok Mewtwo unlocked!!" "NO IT DIDN'T WE STILL CAN'T GET ON!!!" "Thanks for everyone coming out the unlock legendaries!!" "REFUND!!!"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Imagine you paid money for the entrance ticket and flew their from another country...and now NOTHING is working.

You would not be angry lol?
The second part in your reply is where things went wrong

Top Bottom