• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Fest's livestream is absolutely must-see

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Watching this splash page is kind of nostalgic.. Remember the first week when the game started, and that was all we got to see? Fun memories!!!

Acerac

Banned
Oh god the schadenfreude is delicious.

Feels bad that even a year later with prior knowledge of how many people would show up they still can't get their servers working properly.

takoyaki

OMG, someone please gif the part of the lady tapping the screen for a good 30 seconds with nothing happening

giphy.gif

Looks like she's playing Tap Tap Revolution :p

Galava

Honestly i understand them they travelled to this event and it is not going as intended and goes all kinds of wrong.

Yeah I understand that too, but I'm 120% sure that Niantic is doing all they can in that situation. Having thousands of people in a "small" space connecting to the same servers, the mobile network just can't handle it, there are only so many antennas. Sucks, a lot, but was expected.

But yeah, they can boo all they want, just, don't expect for it to go smoothly or that booing is going to fix anything.

Also didn't know you had to pay for the event, thought it was a more "open" thing.

evanmisha

Challenge window 2 has started without any fanfare on the stream and it looks like the progress has all been reset. All the individual bars are almost if not completely empty.

At least the fake the numbers, I mean, god damn. Like... you have to know that's gonna piss people off.

EDIT: Fire bar magically shoots up to where it was. Bronze ticks up a bit.

Yeah I understand that too, but I'm 120% sure that Niantic is doing all they can in that situation. Having thousands of people in a "small" space connecting to the same servers, the mobile network just can't handle it, there are only so many antennas. Sucks, a lot, but was expected.

But yeah, they can boo all they want, just, don't expect for it to go smoothly or that booing is going to fix anything.

Also didn't know you had to pay for the event, thought it was a more "open" thing.

The problem isn't so much that they're trying really hard to fix it now, but more so that they never should have had these issues to begin with. Sounds like the majority of the problems are on their side for some reason. This was a really big event and they just kind of blew it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

It was expected that it wouldn't work? Nah, you plan and expect for these things. With how much the game STILL grosses, they should have a bit of money to make these experiences go fairly smoothly...

Challenge window 2 has started without any fanfare on the stream and it looks like the progress has all been reset. All the individual bars are almost if not completely empty.

At least the fake the numbers, I mean, god damn. Like... you have to know that's gonna piss people off.

EDIT: Fire bar magically shoots up to where it was. Bronze ticks up a bit.

i was out for the first window but now i just dont care. I dontt think it matters what we do atm.

evanmisha

i was out for the first window but now i just dont care. I dontt think it matters what we do atm.

If it does matter and has mattered, it hasn't made any damn difference, so you might as well give up, really.

Progress bars pulled and we're back to splash screen.

ViciousDS

Banned
my buddy keeps texting me so I think hes just waiting for them to automatically throw the legendary up at this point.....because he sure isn't playing in grant park lol. He's there atm and he says its not very fun

Galava

The event should've been smaller ones through the country and make it global. Put those "Fest PokéStops" everywhere and have everyone partipate and make their own meetups.

dark_chris

Gold Member

They actually had plenty of time to fix all these issues but didn't. They should have anticipated everything that was gonna happen

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The event should've been smaller ones through the country and make it global. Put those "Fest PokéStops" everywhere and have everyone partipate and make their own meetups.

I really wish they would've done this. Having ONE event in all of North America is crazy. Europe gets 7 cities for their safari event...

thedan001

I wouldnt bother with the progress bars and the challenges, Niantic likely will give it all away tomorrow as an apology for network errors.

I'm more curious about what will happen to the legendary lol.

Daedardus

A few weeks ago I went to a festival with 80,000 people contained on a rather compact space. They worked together with telco's and increased network capacity by a lot and the connection was spotless. If you expect to have a great number of people trying to play an online game on their smartphones, you could have foreseen this stuff.

Galava

I wouldnt bother with the progress bars and the challenges, Niantic likely will give it all away tomorrow as an apology for network errors.

I'm more curious about what will happen to the legendary lol.

Of course. You don't release a "legendary" trailer on YT and an event to unlock legendaries to then not release them. (But well, it's Niantic, can happen)

Wow all those "manchild" booing and screaming. Learn some decency ffs

Wow. I know it's pokemon go and the game festival is a train wreck but come on.

The next time something you're interested in messes up for reasons out of your control I hope someone is close by to mock you and say you're a man-child, lol fuck off

vid

This will probably happen in the future.

When world events happen in Ingress, there are usually four events happening simultaneously in different locations throughout the country and world, with their scores all being shared to determine the outcome of the storyline. I imagine that'll be Niantic's goal once PoGo starts having events on a regular basis.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
This I totally see. "Ok Mewtwo unlocked!!" "NO IT DIDN'T WE STILL CAN'T GET ON!!!" "Thanks for everyone coming out the unlock legendaries!!" "REFUND!!!"

The catch rate for legendaries is apparently 2% so yeah... tune in later today because a lot of unhappy people will not catch it

cyba89

Oh god the schadenfreude is delicious.

Feels bad that even a year later with prior knowledge of how many people would show up they still can't get their servers working properly.

Tbf GAF doesn't get tired of saying nobody plays this game anymore in every Pokemon GO thread.
So maybe they took advice from GAF and didn't expect so many people. ;)

JoeM86

This is an absolute travesty.

Niantic are even damaging the Pokémon brand with this.

People in lines for hours, even still now, 3 hours after opening. People being unable to connect to the game.

I very nearly went. It would have cost me over £1000. I am so glad I didn't

I'm also not buying the server excuse. The servers are fine for me and most people away from the event itself. This is them not planning to get enough mobile signal boosters and alternative Wi-Fi methods and they're passing the buck

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Tbf GAF doesn't get tired of saying nobody plays this game anymore in every Pokemon GO thread.
So maybe they took advice from GAF and didn't expect so many people. ;)

(In another thread I got dog-piled when I said that I believe that more people just play at home and spoof than actually go outside to do it, but that also translated to "no one plays". Not that I doubt that people still go out, but more a rarity in comparison...)

JoeM86

This is so uncomfortable to watch. Kinda feel bad for everybody there.
But it should expected when lots of people use cell phones at one small place. Don't really think those are server issues.

They're not. They're just using that as a catchment saying so people "understand". Servers are 100% fine

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Apparently there are huge lines to even escape the event. Which means their emergency planning was null too.

gossi

YouTubers with over 100K views were paid to go to the event by the way - the contract says they're not allowed to talk bad about it. That's per somebody who declined the offer.

Top Bottom