• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

Brinbe

Yep, that's not surprising. Too much of a grind after a while. Not worth it. I got my fill out of it, but there's no point in continuing on right now.

Fj0823

You mean Mobile Games are fads!? And Mobile Gamers aren't loyal!? Shocked

Sure Hope Nintendo isn't trying to aggressively target them with the NX

A lot of terribly bad armchair analysts in this thread tripping all over each other to prove how right they were. It's hilarious.

"Well of course, I could have told you it would die like this, in fact here's the exact reason why"

While ya know, there's still 30 million daily players, above average retention, and it's still the number 1 free app (or at least free game) in marketplaces worldwide. Nothing about this data means "the fad is dead" at this time. It just means it has passed its absolute peak. We need much more data to determine if this is going to continue as a trend, or if we're just seeing the game level out to a more reasonable and sustainable level of activity.

Well the gameplay has no depth at all. There is nothing that would keep me playing. The Pokegym fights suck. Pokemon catching dosnt involve fights... So... Whats the point in playing this?

gottacatch.gif

Mr E.

I drive a road sweeper and driving round hatching eggs and such is what keeps me from going insane.
Level 22 and the streets have never been so clean.

danm999

Got to about 120 caught, now have no reliable way to track anything I might need, bags are all full with Ultra balls, stuck at level 23 with no Lucky Eggs.

Yeah there's really nothing left for me to do. I guess I could fight at gyms but there's really no incentive for me to do so.

Maybe I'll come back to it one day but I'm done for now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If having a third of your peak userbase stop playing after a month classifies you as a fad, then I guess almost every single game ever made could be called a fad.

At least main Pokemon games are getting more attention, thats all I care about. Sun and Moon are going to sell like mad. Also isn't this like every other app?

The title makes it sound a lot worse than it is. Look at the graph.
No one cares. They just want to drive by with how they called it months ago and Niantic's terrible/Nintendo is doomed/mobile gamers have no attention span/the game was a bad fad/etc..

Edit: lol, phone autocorrected fad to GAF.

Papacheeks

Banned
When the remaining 30 million users drop off in 2 months, he will be right.

That's not what he said, he said there would be significant drop off, and it's been just over a month. He also said wait around 4 months, so lets see how much more it drops.

But I knew it content wise wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

Usobuko

Banned
Quite a few people I know ( in my country ) are past the Pokemon Hype and it has only been launched for less 3 weeks here.

It's funny, I wrote a blog post posing the question "Is it a fad?" and came into a lot of flack from friends and work mates IRL for having the audacity of even asking! It was bizarre because I don't ever say "its a fad" in my post - I was merely posing the question to inspire some dialogue about the game's strengths and weaknesses. The post is here if you'd like to read it .

It's far from over for Pokemon GO of course, there are plenty of ways it can be reinvigorated (if a game with 30 million players really needs it) and turned into a lasting experience!

FyreWulff

This is literally the graph for every game ever.

Summer break ended and most of the players went back to school as well. fully expect this to be a game that does the most traffic during summer.

Shiggy

This is literally the graph for every game ever.

Summer break ended and most of the players went back to school as well. fully expect this to be a game that does the most traffic during summer.

Wouldn't they play even more considering they can hang out with their friends at school during breaks as well as after school? That's what happens here at least.

Wouldn't they play even more considering they can hang out with their friends at school during breaks as well as after school? That's what happens here at least.

It would really depend on if the schools have Pokestops. The primary schools and highschools near me only have one each, and they're usually far from the areas kids would spend break time.

That said, more updates need to add that other 90% of content they want if they want to plateau their user base above 30 million.

If 30 million active users is dead. Then 99% of all mobile games are dead.

Not just mobile games, but 99% of console, PC, TV shows, movies, books, basically every piece of medium ever released is a dead fad now. Glad Gaf figured it out!

I thought Nianitc was making an effort to remove stops from all schools barring universities to avoid distracting kids (have no problem with this)

I still play but it has stagnated, there's only so much you can do in the current game, especially when the last couple dozen Pokemon I need are also the more rare ones. The features that are already supposed to be in the game need fixing, and people are waiting for new features to be added. Also it would be great if after a certain level Rattata and Pidgey didn't show up as much, it gets old when a majority of the time that's all that's on screen.

Niantic is really bungling the post launch support. Even disregarding the huge success, they still should have had some kind of content pipeline in place to keep people going because as it is all the casual stuff is dried up as the hardcore 24/7 players have taken the gyms and you have to be seriously lucky or in just the right spot to get some of the rarer Pokémon. It's frustrating because it doesn't take a genius to see that this game could easily be something more.

Fox Mulder

Itll be real fun when they dump in gen 2 and dilute the spawn pool. The entire game is built on harvesting repeat pokemon for candy to power up and evolve.

jnWake

I'll never understand the hatred in GAF for this game. It always amuses me when people celebrate the "lack of success" (if we can call 30 million users that) of a game.

They still haven't fixed the convenient "glitch" which has made Ratatas and Pidgeys hard to catch, that alone has caused me to stop playing regularly, a friend of mine who is at least level 23 has stopped completely. I'm sure there still would have been a drop but you'd think they could have stemmed it at least a bit with more updates, better communication and not coming down so hard on locator programs.

It would really depend on if the schools have Pokestops. The primary schools and highschools near me only have one each, and they're usually far from the areas kids would spend break time.

That said, more updates need to add that other 90% of content they want if they want to plateau their user base above 30 million.
1. You would still go on to see if there were any good Pokemon spawned around during your breaks.
2. You would still play it after or before school, as you walk home, drive home however you get there.
3. As I posted above school is out for a fair few weeks yet in Europe. They break for summer mid-late July until September in most parts, the USA isn't the world.

Since everyone is anecdoting the shit out of the thread:

Literally every acquaintance I meet from the moment I wake up to the moment I sit down to work is playing Pokemon Go. Family, friends, coworkers.

Shiggy

This is also interesting (and more accurate than the thread title here. They lost much more than 15 mio users)

Since its launch in early July, Pokemon Go has been downloaded an astounding 134 million times across the world. The augmented reality phenomenon hit No. 1 in app stores across the world as soon as it was released and has caused all kinds of chaos in the physical, digital and financial spheres.

According to Eliran Sapir, CEO of Boston-based market intelligence firm Apptopia, Pokemon Go now has 28 million daily active users, a 20.8% overall retention rate for its entire user base. And that number is tracking down. Pokemon Go’s retention base for 30-day users is about 15%. “That scale will top very soon,” Sapir said in a chat conversation with ARC.

For context, a retention rate of 20% is considered excellent in the apps economy. Pokemon Go may actually be underperforming industry averages in app retention. According to data from Boston-based firm Localytics, high performing games (which have the lowest retention rates in the apps economy) retain 31% of users in the first month, 18% after two months and 11% after three months.

Pokemon Go’s retention rates right now are buoyed by users from counties where it has landed more recently. “For Pokemon Go it will probably never actually maintain that [rate of engagement] as its downloads are starting to drop and [the international users are] the only thing been keeping it up,” Sapir said.

https://arc.applause.com/2016/08/23/pokemon-go-retention-rates-monetization/

I'm sorry, this couldn't be further from th truth. The main games are packed with content and the battle system has loads of depth.

I think if you look at how many hours the average player puts into these games, if even a fraction actually finish it, you'll see a similar drop off with the same retention with the same smaller hardcore group.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Never understood the hype for Pokemon Go. Seems pretty lame compared to what the actual Pokemon games offer.

But removing tracking isn't a big deal according to those NeoGAF posters.

At this point, it really isn't. There's no hard, direct correlation between the drop of daily users and the removal of the old tracking feature, only heresy (and the deletion of a whole lot of bots).

Davey Cakes

It wasn't really fun past the first few weeks for me.

They need to add more features and Gen 2 ASAP. People won't continue to be engaged otherwise.

I still won't stick around. Got other games to play that are more worth my while. It was a fun experiment but not something that could go long term for me.

Mostly I wanted to fill the dex and move on, but searching for Pokemon stopped being fun. Why continue playing? The whole gym dynamic sucked.

jax

Banned
At this point, it really isn't. There's no hard, direct correlation between the drop of daily users and the removal of the old tracking feature, only heresy (and the deletion of a whole lot of bots).
Lol okay. They took out the only thing that made the game fun and people stopped playing because ?????

Top Bottom