• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

Vipu

Banned
The game isn't finite, there's plenty of things to do (all of which require the tracking to actually work) Theres only a handful of people who have even caught all of the available Pokémon, most people haven't even seen all three fully evolved starters, all because it's fuckin impossible to track down certain Pokémon without the use of some dumb website.

Niantic killed their app and they should be held accountable for it.

It is possible to track, most people just... welp... needs handholding, console, dumbed down, kids, non pcmasterrace etc, you get it.

hqr6TG2.jpg

Torokil

It's not really surprising. I live in a rural area and the only things I got were route 1 trash like Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie and the occasional Eevee. There's really no hope for me to get my favorite gen 1 mons like Alakazam and Gengar - I only caught one Abra and could never find a Gastly.

The gyms here were just who had the best Eevee evolution competition. Pokestops too few and far between and in odd places (one of them in my town is next to a dumpster behind a Target).

The gym battles also fucking sucked, it was just a competition of who could mash their phone the fastest.

After that, there isn't much else to do! No trading, no direct battling, no point.

Someone done fucked up. Either Pokemon Company for not wanting actual features in fear of a creep on mainline titles sales or Niantic for just being in over their heads.

Maybe Nintendo will get their shit together, tell Niantic to fuck off, and release Pokemon Go 2 in Summer 2018 with more gens and more features.

The game appeal wore out fast and their lack of features like trading and battling between friends outside a gym were the killer retention functions needed asap.

What was once a let's walk around and play I'd just.... Eh might as well turn it on while walking down the strret. Lower the encounters of freaking pidgey and rattata and make it more interesting with other pokemon. Last exciting thing that happened for me and !y friends was hunting down a venasaur in our street.

Have a feeling g it will spike when they add gens or features til then it will be a glorified pedometer.

Gemeanie

Here in Singapore the fad died down way faster than time spent to wait for the local launch (1 month). Everyone is still holding the phone but it's now back to Facebook or Whatsapp.

As for me I had unlimited supply of pokeballs since I live near 2 pokestops but grew sick of endless Rattata and Pidgey at lv18 lol

The barrier to entry is too high now. They fucked it up.

That first week, you had the footprint system and rustling leaves to indicate where to find Pokemon. My friends who jumped in on the fad and have since dropped couldn't really articulate why they lost interest. I'm willing to bet its because it's that much harder to find pokemon. Nowadays, you fire it up and hope that something is near you because tracking pokemon any other way is just frustrating.

Syntsui

It is possible to track, most people just... welp... needs handholding, console, dumbed down, kids, non pcmasterrace etc, you get it.
It's possible to go after what appeared in your sightings. It's impossible to track a specific Pokémon you need or want.

Well deserved drop. Pretty much mirrors what happened with TwitchPlaysPokemon - no idea how to deal with the popularity, and more so how to retain it, and dooooown it goes.

Plus, any person in the world would tire of finding pidgies, and only more devoted ppl would chase after the perfect pidgey via IV's or use a pidgey calc or even just try to take over a gym. That isn't something a casual player would do.... they want something simple and some semblance of variety and challenge which is kinda provided in other super casual games like Temple Run.

Not

Banned
Wow so many butthurt people in this thread

I don't think this game did any less than it was supposed to lol

Shaanyboi

Banned
Have they bothered adding anything of note? Mobile games like this need constant updates to keep people involved, especially when the actual gameplay is so fucking shallow and uninteresting.

Monocle

WTF do they expect when they release a barebones game and then screw with its already barely functional tracking system?

I enjoy Go well enough but it obviously needs:

- deeper mechanics (PvP and trading, for a start)
- a reliable and accessible tracking system
- a much more diverse distribution of Pokemon (making the same five or so types show up constantly was a huge mistake)
- actual reasons to play in rural areas
- ways for lower level players to interact with gyms (right now they're dominated by high level players who must spend a lot of their time downtown)
- more ways to earn Pokecoins and obtain special items, because no, I'm not going to shell out real money to enhance the super shallow gameplay

Syntsui

And? Thats how it should work?
And it frustrates whoever wants to have a competitive team for gyms and the casuals that want a Pikachu/Charizard or whatever. They damage all their audiences at the same time.

You probably are ignorant to the fact that millions of people used Poke Vision. People want to know where their Pokémons are.

udivision

This game should have been the end-all be-all of Gachas.

You go outside and explore to catch Pokemon.

You battle through Missions using those Pokemon, anytime and anywhere you want.

It's so sad to see the potential of this game being wasted.

So to summarize:
  • typical mobile game usage dropoff over time
  • updates that broke functionality in the game drove some away
  • rural and some suburban players not seeing incentive to play because of lack of monster variety
  • developer banned a significant number of bot accounts
  • many children are back or are going back to school and have less time to play

did I miss anything?

Vipu

Banned
And it frustrates whoever wants to have a competitive team for gyms and the casuals that want a Pikachu/Charizard or whatever. They damage all their audiences at the same time.

You probably are ignorant to the fact that millions of people used Poke Vision. People want to know where their Pokémons are.

And millions of people want to use wallhack to know where their enemies are if they knew they had really small chance to get banned.
Of course some people want everything to be as easy as possible.

jax

Banned
The problem is, the game isn't fun enough to put that much effort into it. It had a perfectly good tracking ability built in and they removed it due to "reasons", now the game is dead.

pringles

I believe there was another article about this that mentioned how the game is retaining users over time at a much higher degree than other huge mobile games like Candy Crush did.
Still seems to be huge. They really do need to hit us with some decent updates soon enough though. Get the legendary birds into the game.

They thought people would stick around long after being mistreated? Nothing new in weeks. I can't even catch Pokemon in my area. I wish them luck going forward.

Drac84

Pokevision is what made the game fun. Within a week of that being shut down literally everyone I know that been playing had stopped.

Illucio

Banned
That number is going to plummet come Fall.

If you push the date on your phone to February 27th you get a egg that hatches, but because it's not that date it won't hatch. I take it Niantic will probably give everyone Togepi in that egg hinting at Gen 2.

Atomski

They really need to get more stops up.. I have tons of stuff in my area that could be stops and gyms but no way to add them. I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a populated area..

udivision

If you push the date on your phone to February 27th you get a egg that hatches, but because it's not that date it won't hatch. I take it Niantic will probably give everyone Togepi in that egg hinting at Gen 2.

Interesting...

SalvaPot

Pfft, that is still a shitload of users. And its mediocre-ness just had people go out and buy a 3DS with Pokémon, all according to plan.

Also everyone is going to be back once you get Legendaries.

ZOMG YOU CAN CATCH ZAPDOS NOW.

SERVER DOWN.

The novelty wears off INCREDIBLY quickly.

I deleted it off my phone yesterday, having not even opened it for weeks.

There's nothing to really do in the game and that's where it's biggest downfall lies. It had a good month, but it doesn't have staying power.

jnWake

I wonder when they'll start adding new generations. Many of my favourites are from later gens.

Also, has there ever been word on legendaries? That could drive interest.

Dishwalla

Banned

If I do this it won't let me log in. If I log into the game with the correct date then go back into the settings and change the date it logs me out and won't me log back in.

KHlover

Banned
Most steam games I see lose half their audience within DAYS of launch, so 15 million out of...100 million or so (?) seems pretty good actually.

cakely

Pokemon Go is down to thirty million daily users.

Ya'll should just let that number sink in a little bit before having the funeral.

LordofPwn

I've been super busy at work and there's no stops near my work or my home...

*looks at calendar*

Yo but like school has started up. So that's like the easy answer.

Top Bottom