• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

Gxgear

I've only just started playing it occasionally on my lunch runs, but the decision to make it work only in the foreground (and happily chugging on your battery power) on a platform that is all about convenience is just beyond comprehension. While my workplace's got plenty of action, the suburb where I reside is just devoid of everything.

Today I went to what was a very popular park to go to when the game was still fresh, and didn't see anything worth a damn like I used to. It's things like that that make the game less and less fun. I don't live in the biggest city, so of course what I see is crap compared to large cities. If Niantic can just think about the users in less populated areas, I'm sure that would spark a bit more interest again.

give us Gen2!

that graph shows less of a dent then I expected
the game has 100 million downloads on the Play Store alone 15M does not look so bad

There's really not much to do in the game after you've caught a lot of different monsters. You just see the same Pokemon over and over again.

It they could just make a normal Pokemon game with the AR mechanics it would rock. Instead of mindlessly throwing balls you would battle wild Pokemon, train them, breed them, battle other players. The mechanics of the original games are really simple so without any plot I think the game would still work for a mass audience.

Yeah, this is the dream. The issue is that that it can only really work on a mobile at the moment. For it to work on a handheld, they would need a permanent internet connection which just isn't on the cards. It's totally obvious the lasting future of handheld games is primarily mobile based.

The real appeal here for me is using location data to create the game map. They could really go places with this. As it stands, this really does feel like a proof of concept more than a true game and I can't wait to see what comes in the next few years.

baphomet

And this where Nintendo realizes that's how mobile games work, and start worrying about their new system they've based around it.

Coldsun

Banned
And this where Nintendo realizes that's how mobile games work, and start worrying about their new system they've based around it.

Considering the game was generating over a million a day, they arn't going to worry, nor is anyone else who is affiliated with it.

Poyunch

Got bored of the gameplay loop. The social part sort of lost its luster and going to the "big" hotspots ends up just being people standing around the pokestops.

The hype when a rare Pokemon pops up is still pretty great though.

Maximus.

The game just didn't have it. Levelling Pokemon was just pure randomness, no battling or trading other trainers (the gym stuff was very basic). Wasn't a real Pokemon game, just had the characters. Expected the game would die down once the hype died down too though.

ReaperXL7

and it will still make more money than Pokémon Sun and Moon. I haven't bothered with it for awhile because I did not like the direction Niantic was taking it with their "Updates"but I'd return to it if they start fixing the issues I had. Most devs would kill to have a 30 million+ active player base though.

TriAceJP

Cool. Maybe now my Facebook feed won't be people posting either A) Screen caps or memes of Pokemon Go or B) Bitching about people who bitch about Pokemon Go.

Dreavus

It just needs more features, particularly a revamped battle system if they can swing it. For now, collecting pokes is still pretty fun for me but the current "battling" is completely worthless. If they were going to lift (most) stats from the original games anyways, I'm not sure why they couldn't go all the way and just use the move sets and have proper battles. Set learned moves at either CP thresholds or after a certain amount of battles. Hell, throw a heart scale in the cash shop if you must. Just hash out a rudimentary AI to control the gym pokes and suddenly the game is a lot more interesting.

I don't think the original games were particularly complicated and people can just do 4-attack-slotted pokemon and still have fun without getting too complex. The "tap to attack" nonsense just sucks so much.

gypsygib

Isn't this typical with a lot of Pop products.

A song may be huge for a couple of months and then no one wants to listen to it again.

I stopped playing when my brothers account got reset. We tried everything and Niantic wasnt any help. Lost motivation to continue.

AdanVC

And it seems they lost another here since they killed third party radar websites again and no way I'm gonna rely on the in-game "tracking" to find new Pokes. It's a waste of time to walk back and forth aimessly until the damn pokemon appears.

Stopped playing regularly because there's nothing to fucking do in the game. Whatever gameplay there is to be had is in gyms, which, even when you disregard how tedious it is to get to them, have a skill cap so high that it's hard to have fun. It would be great to see them mix up the pokemon variety every now and then, so that I wouldn't feel like I wasted my time when I'm trying to kill time :/

AdanVC

Got bored of the gameplay loop. The social part sort of lost its luster and going to the "big" hotspots ends up just being people standing around the pokestops.

The hype when a rare Pokemon pops up is still pretty great though.

I totally agree but the thing is, that rarely ever happens. At least where I live. I think this would be a perfect moment to release the legendary pokemon, plus Ditto. To get some people back into the game for a few days while trying to catch them.

Jagsrock

Banned
Lmao so 15mil drop and that leaves over 30mil still playing it. The gsme continues to get better with new updates and features still being added every couple weeks, and legendary events still haven't happened yet. Sure some people might have gotten tired of it but pls look at how many people including myself are still playing. A drop in numbers doesn't mean it's gonna continue to drop forever same way a sharp rise doesn't mean its never gonna come down. The games a clear success quit trying to downplay it.

HMD

Constantly running out of Pokeballs is incredibly discouraging. I stopped playing the game like 3 weeks into the game.

I'd play if it didn't look like this where I live.

Screenshot_2016-08-24-13-34-29.png

cyborg009

Banned
Constantly running out of Pokeballs is incredibly discouraging. I stopped playing the game like 3 weeks into the game.

my campus has like 50 pokestops (and 4 right next to each other) but after a few weeks being away I ran out of pokeballs so quickly.

If you live in a suburb area like me, there's almost no incentive to play because of trash Pokes. Add in the difficulty of getting balls compared to someone in a city, surrounded by PokeStops, and it's basically worthless.

border

Funny to see people tripping over themselves to proclaim that "the fad is over".

Pokemon Go had an insane lightning-in-a-bottle sensation of a launch, and as such they could never hope to retain all of their users. People who don't even play many mobile games were downloading it and trying it out just because it was the talk of the town. All those soccer moms and baseball dads were never going to be daily users. At best they were hoping to have a fun family activity for a day out at the park, or understand the phenomenon that was consuming their children.

Think of it like this -- CBS is airing the Superbowl. CBS decides that they are going to premiere a brand new TV show after the game is over. So now this completely new show that nobody has ever heard of suddenly scores 50 million viewers for the premiere. Awesome, great. But those numbers will never hold.....when episode 2 airs and ratings go back to exceptional-but-lower numbers (say, 15-20 million viewers), that doesn't mean the show is suddenly flopping or that the fad is over. It just means that going forward they won't have some unprecedented momentous event building hype and generating more customers than would be possible under normal circumstances.

Niantic has a lot to do if they want to retain the tens of millions of users that are still engaged, but expecting them not to lose a lot of users that were only there for the hype is unrealistic.

I think first and foremost they have to find a way to make the game fun and engaging for people that aren't in densely populated urban areas. People claim that nerfing the radar killed their prospects, but as far as I can tell most people aren't even playing the game like that. Most players just find an area with a concentration of Pokestops, throw down lures on all of them, and walk around until interesting stuff turns up. Yeah, maybe they'll go a little off the beaten path if a Snorlax turns up on the radar, but by and large nobody goes out with the intent to track down Pokemon using radar.

Cuburt

Clickbait title?

Loses more than 15 M users daily, still at 30 M users daily.

I stopped playing but I still talk to people all the time that play it or see others that play it. It's still a hit with kids and families. These aren't even people that would otherwise be huge into gaming or Pokemon.

Cynar

The updates made the game worse to the point I don't play anymore rip
Yup. Sucks because I enjoyed it a lot but those updates to the tracking system killed it. Plus the annoyances about driving constantly even when I'm not.

Clickbait title?

Loses more than 15 M users daily, still at 30 M users daily.

I stopped playing but I still talk to people all the time that play it or see others that play it. It's still a hit with kids and families. These aren't even people that would otherwise be huge into gaming or Pokemon.

It's not a click bait title, it is a factual title. Just because it still has a lot of users doesn't mean the decline isn't impactul. When you lose a third of your install base in a month it generally isn't a positive.

border

AGITΩ;214787787 said:
I stopped playing until Go Plus gets released, so i dont constantly have to look at my phone.

Isn't the Go Plus only going to make the game more tedious?

Walk around with a phone in your pocket......suddenly the Go Plus vibrates and chimes.....a Pokemon is in your vicinity! You pull out your phone and eagerly unlock it only to discover that there's a CP 200 Pidgey standing next to you.

I'd rather have my phone out so I can just ignore a garbage Pokemon as soon as it spawns.

Daouzin

I know a lot of people like me would be playing it more if it worked, but I'm still having issues whenever I load it up.

Once they fix Pokemon tracking and those weird glitches and random crashes , I'll be back on board.

It's not a click bait title, it is a factual title. Just because it still has a lot of users doesn't mean the decline isn't impactul. When you lose a third of your install base in a month it generally isn't a positive.

That's actually the average second month drop-off for most highly marketed titles. It's not until the third or fourth month when MAU stabilizes. Most popular games today launched with major numbers, dropped off a cliff in month 2-3, stabilized and then steadily grew or shrunk (depending on their success) to where they are now.

If this retention rate continues into October though...

And this could definitely be considered clickbait since it's stating a fact completely out of context. It's preying on the fact that most people don't know typical mobile or online game retention curves to make a factual statement seem significantly more impactful and important than it really is.

Got boring quick.

Who cares if it has 30million users if they're losing a lot. Percentages matter.

How often do you find yourself still actively playing the same game several weeks after you bought it? Because I don't think it's too common.

dity

30 million players is still a fuckload of players. That's more people than my entire country. Heck, I still see people out playing the game.

Isn't the Go Plus only going to make the game more tedious?

Walk around with a phone in your pocket......suddenly the Go Plus vibrates and chimes.....a Pokemon is in your vicinity! You pull out your phone and eagerly unlock it only to discover that there's a CP 200 Pidgey standing next to you.

I'd rather have my phone out so I can just ignore a garbage Pokemon as soon as it spawns.

You can get Pokestops and catch Pokemon without taking out your phone with the Go Plus.

Have people figured out what each of the statements by the trainer mean? Like what are the best statements that one could get?

Edit: He says "their stats are the best I've ever seen!" For like every Pokemon I've appraised. There's no negative results unless it's about their size.

border

You can get Pokestops and catch Pokemon without taking out your phone with the Go Plus.

Are you guaranteed to catch all the Pokemon you come across? Or is there still a chance they might run on you?

If your bag is full, do you still get items from the Pokestops you walk past? Or do you have to check in and do inventory management a bit?

dity

Are you guaranteed to catch all the Pokemon you come across? Or is there still a chance they might run on you?

If your bag is full, do you still get items from the Pokestops you walk past? Or do you have to check in and do inventory management a bit?
I don't know, I'm not the company making it.

Tygamr

I haven't really played much since the last few updates. Mostly because it seems like they significantly decreased the spawn rate. I can walk for a half hour, and find nothing. Or I only find Pidgeys.... Plus, gyms aren't fun at all—the tap and swipe battles are pretty horrible. I'd much rather have turn based battles against other players—Asynchronous of course.

The game just seems like it needs a lot of work. I'll probably play it more once they improve it.

Majukun

yeah..stopped playing since people around me are already way over my level so gym taking is not a thing for me anymore...and cayching pokmon is boring since all i get is always the same kind of pokèmon,no viarety in my town

also,stardust has been incredibly difficult to get for me..so i can't even train my pokèmon

so i just dropped it

Top Bottom