• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

Kasumin

JttjpdX.png

How is this not a dragon.

I'm still salty about Gyarados getting shafted with the typing of its mega. Either make it Water/Dragon (and balance it out by giving it fewer stat gains or something) or make it pure Water. Dark type isn't even that great in gen 6 with Fairy types running around everywhere.

Why do you have to troll Gyarados fans like this, Game Freak :(

TomShoe

Banned
This is probably the one line where they really should have broken the "fossil Pokemon = rock type lol" trend. Aside from Rock/Ice being a horrific combination that kills its competitive potential most of the time, it doesn't even make sense. They really should be Ice/Steel instead.

Poor things. Anything/Ice is already pretty poor defensively. I think it could have been decent even with a bad combination like that, but it's main weakness is that it's just so slooooooooooooooow. The fact that it can't get a hit off first and attempt to OHKO really magnifies its piss-poor defenses. It's offense isn't even that good either :/ Weavile has all the defense of a paper bag, yet it's in OU because it's a speedster with STAB that can OHKO.

To be honest, I'm surprised Game Freak missed so many Pokemon they could have made Fairy type when they announced it as a new type. It's like they rushed X & Y to get it out the door and didn't even bother adding the type to new ones in ORAS.

We have too many fairies in ORAS already, and they're already overly powerful. The fairy type was just one big 'F-You' to dragons, really. The complete immunity was overkill and very unnecessary.

250px-113Chansey.png

How is Chansey not a Fairy type?

To be honest, I'm surprised Game Freak missed so many Pokemon they could have made Fairy type when they announced it as a new type. It's like they rushed X & Y to get it out the door and didn't even bother adding the type to new ones in ORAS.

Devil

I think Charizard just can't be a dragon because that would completely fuck up the critical type dynamic between the three starters. Megas are something else.

There need to be more electric types with a second typing in general. Specifically, Luxray should be dark/electric type, Beheeyem
606Beheeyem.png

should be psychic/electric type, and despite it being a radical idea, pikachu should have become electric/fairy type.

Rafavert

We have too many fairies in ORAS already, and they're already overly powerful. The fairy type was just one big 'F-You' to dragons, really. The complete immunity was overkill and very unnecessary.

Why was that overkill? Dragons were only resisted by steel and hit everything else neutrally.

Redd

One that's always baffled me is Psyduck and Golduck. Why are they both pure Water-type? They should be Water/Psychic. Psyduck's whole thing is the interaction of its headaches and Psychic-powers, but nothing. I don't get it.
This has irked me since RBGY. It really should have been psychic/water. Also Gyarados needs to learn a legit flying attack besides bounce. Why not aerial ace or something similar. Freaking Scyther who is part flying can learn aerial ace.

Isnt Chansey a great defensive Pokemon already? So giving it a really good typing could potentially be damaging. Its honestly the reason why Steel was nerfed, to make Aegislash less over powered. :p

Now here is interesting thought, some Pokemon should remove dual typings. Although primarily this bothers me with bulbasaur and geodude. Bulbasaur is only dual type starter which is weird. Making only its evolutions have secondary typing would make evolutions bit more different, since bulbasaurs evolutions already seem bit too similiar. And why is flying/levitating rock piece part ground?

As for Charizard/Gyarados not being dragons, I remember something but need more info on this. I remember some source mentioning that dragon-type was the last type programmed into Red and Blue games. This could explain why they didnt change those into dragons and why dragon type seems Limited in Red and Blue. But I cant seem to find source for this info... But it would make somewhat more sense.

ffdgh

Same way fairies are only weak to Steel & Poison. I can understand having 1/2 effectiveness, but complete immunity? Overdone.

Eh dragons are usually very versatile as is even with the immunity. Probably because how common Outrage and Draco meteor was in gen 5 lol.

Same way fairies are only weak to Steel & Poison. I can understand having 1/2 effectiveness, but complete immunity? Overdone.
Look at the tier lists. Fairies are just about evenly distributed, and dragons are still constantly on top. Dragon type was OP before, and it's still better than most of the other types. Dragon types pretty consistently have wildly varied movelists and high stats. Most dragon types can still put up a good fight against most fairy types. It's not as simple as just weaknesses and resistances.

I think many of these issues could be fixed by adding a third type to Pokémons. Charizard could be Flying/Fire/Dragon, for example.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Remember folks you also need to take into account of what the Pokémon is based on as that plays a part in their typing.

Take Jirachi for example, it's based on a shooting star which is a meteor and meteor have been found to have traces of iron hence why it's part steel.

Dragonite can't talk since its' 4x weak to ice. Heck its weak to rock and yet makes fun of Charizard being weak to rock.

JazzmanZ

cofagrigus.jpg

Cofagrigus is a Ghost type, really it should be a Ghost/GROUND type Pokemon since the coffins tend to buried in the ground!

kirby_fox

Banned
Most of these are due to balance I'm sure. You add dragon to a bunch of Pokemon without balancing out the typing and you have too many that can walk through the game like it's nothing.

Azurill NOT being a water type though makes no sense. It evolves into a water type, so making it normal never made any sense to me.

Nightbird

Look at the tier lists. Fairies are just about evenly distributed, and dragons are still constantly on top. Dragon type was OP before, and it's still better than most of the other types. Dragon types pretty consistently have wildly varied movelists and high stats. Most dragon types can still put up a good fight against most fairy types. It's not as simple as just weaknesses and resistances.

Yep.
Immunity was the right decision. Even against Steel-Types with their resistance and overall defensive Nature did only okay against Dragon-Types with high Attack Stats. A Type that puts a massive Roadblock to dominating Dragon Type was what was needed.

They would have balanced out freaking kadabra/Alakazham being a pure psychic whose only weakness was frikken Butterfree and Beedrill of all Pokemon.

Jolteon's Pin Missile. Butterfree couldn't learn any offensive bug-moves in Gen 1. Nothing resists Psychic in Gen 1, is the problem. If Gengar line was pure Ghost, they would still take neutral damage, so shit would still be broken just not as bad. The best offensive Ghost move that wasn't set-damage was Lick, with a whopping base 20. 35 with stab. Gengar isn't known for physical attack, which is what Ghost-Type relied on in Gens 1-3. Stupid, I know.

Instead of Ghost/Ground (especially since it was int he same generation Golett and Golurk were introduced in), Cofagricus should have been a Ghost/Rock. (EDIT: Ninja'd)

It always bothered me that Suicune was water type.

Raikou symbolizes the lightning bolt that set fire to the Tin Tower.

Entei symbolizes the fire that consumed the Tin Tower.

Suicune symbolizes the rain that extinguished the fire.

Raikou symbolizes the lightning bolt that set fire to the Tin Tower.

Entei symbolizes the fire that consumed the Tin Tower.

Suicune symbolizes the rain that extinguished the fire.

This is beautiful and poetic. Does their order in the pokedex also confirm this?

Also GG dude, I said Ghost/Rock right above you :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Flygon is Gorund/Dragon because of its origins and references to the antlion.

It's not even supposed to be a dragonfly, and the dragon pun in dragonfly (just in case people would suggest it for Yanmega) exists only in English name lol

Then again regional references on typing has a tendency not to be followed. I mean, the reason Swirlix is a Fairy type is because of the Fairy Floss pun.

Real missed opportunity with Fairy types. Spread the love a little. Though making things like Blissey resist Fighting, Bug, Dark, and Dragon might be a bit much.

CAR105 3

Gyarados:
Why is it not a Water/Dragon with Levitate?

Charizard:
Flying/Fire->Dragon/Fire

Yanmega:
Flying Bug->Dragon/Bug

Milotic:
Water->Water/Fairy

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Altaria requires extensive pun knowledge and something of a Japanese reference.

Altaria's Japanese name is Tyltalis. Tyltalis is one of the stars from the Draco constellation. Altaria's whole theme and look is based on the Blue Bird of Happiness who has characters named Tyll.

MicH

240px-698Amaura.png
240px-699Aurorus.png

This is probably the one line where they really should have broken the "fossil Pokemon = rock type lol" trend. Aside from Rock/Ice being a horrific combination that kills its competitive potential most of the time, it doesn't even make sense. They really should be Ice/Steel instead.
Ice/Steel makes no sense. Should be Ice/Dragon

PBalfredo

POP QUIZ!

What type is this pokemon?

1dhieMQ.png

Is it:
A) Bug
B) Poison
C) Dark
D) Fuck you, none of the above

The correct answer is
D. This pokemon with a scorpion tail and poison attacks that only evolves at night is neither Bug, Poison or Dark. Gliscor is in fact, Flying and Ground.

...what the hell?

It always bothered me that Suicune was water type.

Same here. Everything about its design, from its color palette to the crystal motif on its head and spots just screams "Ice type" to me

8WlKbgS.png

Azuran

Banned
I'm still salty about Gyarados getting shafted with the typing of its mega. Either make it Water/Dragon (and balance it out by giving it fewer stat gains or something) or make it pure Water. Dark type isn't even that great in gen 6 with Fairy types running around everywhere.

Why do you have to troll Gyarados fans like this, Game Freak :(

But Mega Gyarados is one of the current world champions. I'll say he's fine.

ChrisD

You had it right with Lugia and then fell with Flygon.
Flygon is perfect and I wouldn't change him in any way.

But... Yeah, I was going to bring up Lugia.

POP QUIZ!

1dhieMQ.png

Is it:
A) Bug
B) Poison
C) Dark

The correct answer is
D. This pokemon with a scorpion tail and poison attacks that only evolves at night is neither Bug, Poison or Dark. Gliscor is in fact, Flying and Ground.

...what the hell?

Same here. Everything about its design, from its color palette to the crystal motif on its head and spots just screams "Ice type" to me

8WlKbgS.png
I would assume it's ground because it lives on cliff sides, and flying because it can't walk according to the pokedex.

Shibalan

POP QUIZ!

1dhieMQ.png

Is it:
A) Bug
B) Poison
C) Dark

The correct answer is

...what the hell?
The perfect troll pokemon to send against a beginner. They never guess his type. I really love him.

Toxi

Banned
Golurk is Ground type because it's based on a clay golem.

Elektross is not Water because it's designed to have no weakness, and also because it's a flying lamprey whose pre-evolution is not found in Water.

Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar are Poison type because they're based on smog.

All fossil Pokemon are Rock type, no exceptions.
Ice / everything is a nightmare.
Ice is seriously the worst type in the game's history. It's amazing how adding Ice to any Pokemon type will make that Pokemon worse.

Hell, Gamefreak even has the Ice gym leader in X and Y talk about how much Ice type Pokemon suck.

Boogiepop

Drapion always throws me off and I end up forgetting it's not a bug type. Not that we need more Bug/Poison types, but it's still definitely the one Pokemon I always end up mistyping in my head.

Rafavert

Ice is seriously the worst type in the game's history. It's amazing how adding Ice to any Pokemon type will make that Pokemon worse.

Hell, Gamefreak even has the Ice gym leader in X and Y talk about how much Ice type Pokemon suck.

Give Ice resistance to water and flying, remove it's fightning weakness and we're gold! maybe not even remove it's weakness =p

What ice types are currently viable in OU? Mamoswine?

POP QUIZ!

1dhieMQ.png

Is it:
A) Bug
B) Poison
C) Dark

The correct answer is

...what the hell?

I was very confused the first time I fought it.

Top Bottom