• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y "Mega Evolutions" revealed (trailer) + new art and details

Dr. Buni

I need Mega Empoleon and Mega Feraligatr ASAP D:

I think only the starters and a few Pokémon should get mega evolutions, not... all of them.

1376022183519yqlzr.png
lol /life

The digimon joke is old as fuck, people get over it.

I love the designs and i can't wait for my
MegaTogekiss

Also, if this happens when certain conditions are met in battle then it'd probably add a lot more flavor to the combat system...

No, I'm not worried about it being to hard to understand. I'm worried that it's not gonna be player friendly.

Just because kids can understand something doesn't make it a fun thing for the player. If I don't have solid control over how to mege-digivolve my Pokemon and it's some random transformation resulting from holding a item and having a certain amount of health/ knowing some move and crossing your fingers then that would just be awful and I don't see myself going with it.

Having more to it than "send Pokemon into battle with item for instant evol" worries me as a player.
I still don't get why you're picking on it so much, or assuming that it's player unfriendly just because they don't want to reveal every itty bitty little detail about x feature before the release of the games, based on the wording of what is essentially a press release for kids.

I mean, at least wait until you have some amount of proof beyond "none" before dismissing everything entirely.

(sorry for being snippy)

entremet

People are still with the Digimon comparisons? Pokemon is at least still relevant. Digimon has been dead and buried ages ago. Let go it.

Druddigon is where I put on my giant Digimon pointing finger, dear lord it's ripped right out of Digimon, Groudon's got NOTHING on Druddigon in that regard.

The digimon joke is old as fuck, people get over it.

I love the designs and i can't wait for my
MegaTogekiss

Also, if this happens when certain conditions are met in battle then it'd probably add a lot more flavor to the combat system...

Yeah the flavor of suck. I hope I don't have to jump through hoops in order to use them, unless of course they are crazy powerful. (like Arceus stats)

ReiGun

I think Durddigon is the only poke in the series where I find the Digimon comparisons kind of on the nose. He really does look like a Digimon to me. lol

Everyone else though? Eh. Mostly, people just seem to be using "looks like a Digimon" as shorthand for "I don't like this design" which is dumb. Just say you don't like the design.

Plus, a lot of Digimon designs are great.

The only Digimon looking pokes I can think of are the White/Black versions of Kyrem. And that's insulting to Digimon because Digimon is awesome and those designs are ass.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the hidden requirement for Mega Evolutions is something new to X and Y.

Pokemon Amie bonding or Super Training seems reasonable.

People are still with the Digimon comparisons? Pokemon is at least still relevant. Digimon has been dead and buried ages ago. Let go it.
A new game came out this year, the show is rerunning on Nicktoons and the latest season is being brought over to the west. Not dead yet.

Maybe there wouldn't be comparisons if game freak didn't use mechanics from the series, lol

Nilaul

Pokemon on steroids... the megastones inject an overload of male chromosome into their the pokemon's DNA, and turns them into beast mode. Their body however rejects the new chromosome after awhile and reverts the body back to their original state.

I still don't get why you're picking on it so much, or assuming that it's player unfriendly just because they don't want to reveal every itty bitty little detail about x feature before the release of the games, based on the wording of what is essentially a press release for kids.

I mean, at least wait until you have some amount of proof beyond "none" before dismissing everything entirely.

(sorry for being snippy)

I'm "picking on it" because it's supposed to be a big, new feature that may very well lessen the chances of tons of Pokemon I know and love getting actual proper evols (Like Mawile and Absol. SURE, GF can still give them proper evols ... but how likely is that now?).

If that's the case then I'm simply gonna want to have full control over this if I am to enjoy it ... and if I have to jump through these hoops AND cross my fingers because of the way it's triggered then cool, I'm just gonna have to disregard it and move on to other things in the game. It was their choice to leave it open ended because they want this mysterious buzz around it to last ... part of that is gonna be met with skepticism.

As of right now the only "proof" we have is that sending them into battle with the item in hand is not enough to trigger the mega-digi evolution ... and until we get it cleared up I'm gonna stay on the side of scepticism as to how player friendly it's gonna be. Who knows, if it's something along the lines of "having evs in speed to get Mewtwo to megamorph! The more evs in speed M2 has the more likely it is to do it ... until it's at max and just does it when entering battle! " then ok ... but until then I don't see myself caring about it.

Drago

Side note, but I wonder why Mega Ampharos, Absol, and Mawile weren't given official western reveals today. Do we have hi res art of them from Japan (if they had official reveals there)?

PK Gaming

It'd be cool if they release a mega evolution for most (if not all) of the fully evolved Pokemon via (free) DLC. That way they could focus on giving us more "new" Pokemon in X&Y.

Derwind

I really hope this whole "Mega Evolution" is more like a form change than your traditional evolution. I'm willing to give this a try.

I also like the whole new look at training your pokemon, its getting closer and closer to the feel of the original show now. I like it a lot.

Symphonic

I don't get why people love Kyogre. Looks like a fucking electric shaver, one of the most idiotically designed Pokemon IMO. How would he function with those flat giant arms? The legs don't make any sense, they're just tacked on. His tail would outbalance him. No neck. Dumb designs on him.

Also on the Digimon issue, are we going to start blaming Tamagatchi for inspiring both series'?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't get why people love Kyogre. Looks like a fucking electric shaver, one of the most idiotically designed Pokemon IMO. How would he function with those flat giant arms? The legs don't make any sense, they're just tacked on. His tail would outbalance him. No neck. Dumb designs on him.

Uh...well, he's a whale. He swims. Those aren't legs.

Pokemon on steroids... the megastones inject an overload of male chromosome into their the pokemon's DNA, and turns them into beast mode. Their body however rejects the new chromosome after awhile and reverts the body back to their original state.

Sounds like the third game will involve cleaning up the sport and serving out some BANS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People insisting on Digimon need to watch more animus

Mega Ampharos looks like he just joined the PC master race.
1376022183519yqlzr.png

1376022232033ubyci.png

That thing is such a horrible design, it looks like something designed by a young kid and only slightly cleaned up by a professional artist.

I think that's the point - it's supposed to look craggy and pointy.

Also the dopey face makes me like it even more.

Also on the Digimon issue, are we going to start blaming Tamagatchi for inspiring both series'?

Since you corrected it Groudon... I think it's to do with resembling Godzilla!

I personally think that all of the Megalutions look really cool, and my friend who's a huge Mawile fan is absolutely ecstatic. Goddang, these games look better and better every time I look away.

MegaScrafty had better be revealed though.

ffdgh

I personally think that all of the Megalutions look really cool, and my friend who's a huge Mawile fan is absolutely ecstatic. Goddang, these games look better and better every time I look away.

MegaScrafty had better be revealed though.

So...Dark dragon or Fighting dragon? :p

This also opens the possibility of megaslaking :D

DaBoss

So...Dark dragon or Fighting dragon? :p

This also opens the possibility of megaslaking :D

The latter would be an interesting typing.

Because it would make Mega Scrafty part of the death list at the hands of the Dragon-Slayer, Sylveon. But Scrafty was already dead against Sylveon, so nothing changes lol

You might want to look up who owns tamagatchi

How the hell does kyogre look like a shaver? Wtf

Top Bottom