• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y "Mega Evolutions" revealed (trailer) + new art and details

JoeM86

Again, I agree.

But I have always been ok with forms for legendary Pokemon or the odd ball pokemon here or there. They seemed "different" to normal Pokemon, more in-tune with w/e source all Pokemon draw from with more flexible make up on the genetic level.

I completely FLIPPED OUT when they revealed Pokemon amie. That idea of actually having a Nintendog-ish feature that allows people who don't see Pokemon as just "images with stats" to interact with them in some way other then battling? That got all my want! Hell, I have been posting that for YEARS as my dream feature for the game. A step in the direction for making this game feel more alive imo.

When I first saw these mega scans I also flipped out ... because I thought they were perma. Mind kept running, thinking about what they could be. "A 3rd evolution? A side-ways/ half step evolve that kinda just does a miner power bump but would allow a Pokemon to be the "leader" in their herd/ group? A alternate form that's only "stronger" for Pokemon like Mawile and Absol who can't evolve but for Pokemon like Lucario and Blaze it would just be a remixing of the stats they have?".

All seemed more interesting to me than what we know so far from a lore/ immersion PoV imo ... but w/e, we gotta wait until we get more info i guess. But it just doesn't really feel Pokemonish ... it feels like that line between Pokemon and Digimon is getting so blurred now that the one thing I CAN point to as a difference is "Digimon shows off tits were as Pokemon likes the absolute zone ...". There's many more differences but now that Pokemon has it's own digivolution thing that's one of the first things that come to mind :/

Na, this isn't Digimonish. In concept, it's no different to switching forms within the Pokémon world. So, it's nothing like Digimon

So what are the benefits of having a Pokemon mega evolve? They look awesome btw

Stat boost (not sure if it's a over all boost or just a boost to certain stats ... or both)
Some will gain a new type
Some will change their ability

Draw backs?

They can't use a hold item because they have to hold the stone to do it in the first place.
And we don't know how it's triggered yet so that could be a nightmare or a no biggy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Na, this isn't Digimonish. In concept, it's no different to switching forms within the Pokémon world. So, it's nothing like Digimon

For me, the dividing line between Pokemon and Digimon was that Pokemon were natural creatures, which could be used and trained by humans but were fundamentally independent of them and the majority of which were simply wild animals with no "purpose". Digimon were synthetic creatures, many of which were specifically designed by and for humans and at the very least the indirect product of human actions, often in order to achieve a specific goal. In that sense, MegaLutions have breached the Pokemon/Digimon barrier in that MegaLutions are something that only make sense in the context of fighting.

Qurupeke

They can't use a hold item because they have to hold the stone to do it in the first place.

This seems to be the case, but nothing rejected as far as I know the possibility of 2 held items for these. Let's wait a bit, until we have a clearer image of this mega concept.

Qurupeke

For me, the dividing line between Pokemon and Digimon was that Pokemon were natural creatures, which could be used and trained by humans but were fundamentally independent of them and the majority of which were simply wild animals with no "purpose". Digimon were synthetic creatures, many of which were specifically designed by and for humans and at the very least the indirect product of human actions, often in order to achieve a specific goal. In that sense, MegaLutions have breached the Pokemon/Digimon barrier in that MegaLutions are something that only make sense in the context of fighting.

I said it before, my theory is that mega evolutions are the eugenics of Pokemon. People need more power and 4th stage evolution is impossible, so using the stones an instant mutation is triggered, just to optimise the Pokemon for the battle. A logical next step if you ask me.

Forms have mostly been restricted to Legendary (godly powerful Pokemon) and odd ball Pokemon.

Temp transformations that change a Pokemon's power, abilities and appearance well in battle purely for that fight? Sure seems digimonish to me.
81ctibk6.gif

Heck, even the web-site points out how a "Mega-digi evol can turn a battle around". Nothing on the site gave me the feeling that this wont feel like digimon/ SSJ/ Naruto like DEM temp transformations.
Like I said, if we find out that you can atleast make them START the battle as their mega form by having them instant digi-change then sure, I can work with it I guess.

I said it before, my theory is that mega evolutions are the eugenics of Pokemon. People need more power and 4th stage evolution is impossible, so using the stones an instant mutation is triggered, just to optimise the Pokemon for the battle. A logical next step if you ask me.

Sounds more like a practice that should be looked upon with shame than something gym-leaders and protags would use.

JoeM86

Look at it this way. Mega Stones manipulate the DNA of the Pokémon to bring out their hidden strengths. It's still natural

Where was this confirmed? I thought there was a poster released stating that MegaAmphoros was still pure electric?

CoroCoro clearly states Mega Ampharos is Electric/Dragon. Got confirmation of this on my site. We'll have official releases on Monday

Where was this confirmed? I thought there was a poster released stating that MegaAmphoros was still pure electric?

The coro coro mag states that it's mega form is electric and dragon.

Some times it will change a Pokemon's typing, different Pokemon seem to get different boost from it (Like how Lucario's main thing is getting a attack stat boost where as Absol get's an attack AND speed boost. And Mewtwo mainly gets a speed boost).

Akihidas

CoroCoro clearly states Mega Ampharos is Electric/Dragon. Got confirmation of this on my site. We'll have official releases on Monday
Thanks for the reply, okay well this is genuinely interesting. Now I am definitely curious for future MegaPokemon reveals

JoeM86

Permanent Mega Evolutions would have been even more awesome.

And even more broken.

Look at it this way.

Here, we have new powerhouses, more powerful than the Pokémon. Probably BSTs starting to push up Legend levels. However, in order to achieve this, you sacrifice your item slot.

If they were permanent, we'd then have things like Choice Scarf Mega Lucario which would sweep.

And even more broken.

Look at it this way.

Here, we have new powerhouses, more powerful than the Pokémon. Probably BSTs starting to push up Legend levels. However, in order to achieve this, you sacrifice your item slot.

If they were permanent, we'd then have things like Choice Scarf Mega Lucario which would sweep.

Gamefreak can fuck everything so easy, Hopefully they though about it throughly. Also for the love of God fix Regigigas.

Village

And even more broken.

Look at it this way.

As long as they transform from the get go, Totally ok with this.

upandaway

Gamefreak can fuck everything so easy, Hopefully they though about it throughly. Also for the love of God fix Regigigas.
Man I remember how, dunno where it was or what (I think it was about BW2's release), where Masuda said he had a huge hundreds of pages file with all the fixes and things he was presenting inside the company. Am I making this up? Does anyone remember this?

Not really related but your post shook it up, yet I couldn't google anything

And even more broken.

Look at it this way.

It all has to do with how it's implemented.
They clearly went into this with w/e mind set that every mega would be varying degrees more powerful than it's reg form but with lack of a held item to "help balance things" (and we still don't fully know how to trigger it ... so that could also be a drawback if there's no way to guarantee a out-the-ball evol". )

They coulda did something like my list of thoughts when I first saw this. They could have made it so that strong Pokemon that get mega-modes don't get "stronger" but more-so just a remix of their stats so that their strength and weaknesses stat wise are different. And on the other hand, Pokemon that actually need evols could get either get reg evols or get a mega that acts like one by increasing their stats and such.

That would work for perma-mega-evols ... but that's not how they're going about it so it needs to have w/e drawbacks.

upandaway

As long as they transform from the get go, Totally ok with this.
I really, really hope for the opposite. If the conditions to activate Mega forms are in-battle, that's perfect, but if they're dependent on other things, that misses the whole point.

I kind of.. sorry if I sound rude, but I don't really get the hate for the mechanic yet (I do get the "it doesn't fit with the universe", I'm talking about the battle system). You sacrifice your held item for an objectively better Pokemon - with the risk that, because it requires conditions to activate, you may not be able to satisfy those conditions and the item slot is wasted. Satisfying them comes down to skill in battle.

To me, in logic that's a perfectly tuned battle mechanic... as long as the conditions are in-battle (or at least some of them have to be). The only thing that could go wrong is if the conditions aren't balanced correctly (and they have to be different for every Pokemon), but we don't know anything about them yet.
If the conditions are preparation variables and not skill variables, the whole thing falls flat. People would use the mega item like they would use every other Pokemon. What's the point of this being a new mechanic then, and not just a new Pokemon?

edit, for the record I mean these two scenarios
1. Condition is "have HP, defense and special defense EVs of 0" -> mega form is a boost to attack
At this point, the Mega form is simply a new Pokemon, different from the normal form. People would choose either depending on their preferences for the Pokemon they need.
2. Condition is "have HP at less than half"
The decision to use the item is basic risk-reward (and the player needs to be able to activate it optimally). It's also way harder to balance and pull off from GF's side, but again, we know nothing yet.

Village

I really, really hope for the opposite. If the conditions to activate Mega forms are in-battle, that's perfect, but if they're dependent on other things, that misses the whole point.

I kind of.. sorry if I sound rude, but I don't really get the hate for the mechanic yet (I do get the "it doesn't fit with the universe", I'm talking about the battle system). You sacrifice your held item for an objectively better Pokemon - with the risk that, because it requires conditions to activate, you may not be able to satisfy those conditions and the item slot is wasted. Satisfying them comes down to skill in battle.

To me, in logic that's a perfectly tuned battle mechanic... as long as the conditions are in-battle (or at least some of them have to be). The only thing that could go wrong is if the conditions aren't balanced correctly (and they have to be different for every Pokemon), but we don't know anything about them yet.
If the conditions are preparation variables and not skill variables, the whole thing falls flat. People would use the mega item like they would use every other Pokemon. What's the point of this being a new mechanic then, and not just a new Pokemon?

Not to be rude, sounds kind of dumb. And misses the point entirely, you get new form, you cant use hold items. They go Mega at the begging there is nothing wrong with that set up. Nothing. The pokemon still have weaknesses and still can be beaten, just like other pokemon.
To do it in battle would be too much of a pain, why have battle conditions, that is too much work for just an extra evolution. To just boost stats, they already have a trade off, why create extra obstacles, that sounds like over balancing. Dont SFXT this.

And from a non battle thought out, mechanical sort of view, your option kind of sounds lame.

Why make a cool mechanic, that makes cool new pokemon that complicated. Just give them item and they turn into it at the get go.

JoeM86

Was just informed of a part of the official Japanese site

メガシンカは、通常の進化と異なり、バトルの間にのみ発生する。メガシンカをしたポケモンは、バトルが終了すると元に戻るが、バトル中に元に戻ることはない。また、一度のバトルでメガシンカできるポケモンは、1匹のみ。

It states that you can only have 1 Mega Evolution in a battle

Wichu

メガシンカは、通常の進化と異なり、バトルの間にのみ発生する。メガシンカをしたポケモンは、バトルが終了すると元に戻るが、バトル中に元に戻ることはない。また、一度のバトルでメガシンカできるポケモンは、1匹のみ。

I was expecting something like that. There's your other balancer, folks.

upandaway

To do it in battle would be too much of a pain, why have battle conditions, that is too much work for just an extra evolution. To just boost stats, they already have a trade off, why create extra obstacles, that sounds like over balancing. Dont SFXT this.
Dunno, I don't think you can say that yet. To say it's too much of a pain for just an evolution, is for you to decide when we know the conditions and the Mega form's differences.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Look at it this way. Mega Stones manipulate the DNA of the Pokémon to bring out their hidden strengths. It's still natura

Joe, I respect the effort you've put in for the community, but this seems a little like defending for the sake of it. These "hidden strengths" are solely useful for fighting. Pokemon are not by nature combative, and are put to that purpose by humans. Given that, why would they have "hidden strengths" related solely to fighting as a result of natural processes? It doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, I agree with upandaway here. Ignoring the narrative aspect of MegaLutions and focusing purely on the mechanical aspects, I'd much rather that mechanic were a new one than an old one. Increasing the range of options a player can make within a match rather than before the match should help take the meta game back to the GSC/ADV era of battles being much more dependant on tactical decisions rather than the level of preparation.

Village

Dunno, I don't think you can say that yet. To say it's too much of a pain for just an evolution is for you to decide when we know the conditions and the Mega form's differences.

We will see.

Also a while back in one of the threads, someone mentioned about it working like how New mew worked in the movies. When in the hell as the anime ever worked like the video games?

On the other hand, I agree with upandaway here. Ignoring the narrative aspect of MegaLutions and focusing purely on the mechanical aspects, I'd much rather that mechanic were a new one than an old one. Increasing the range of options a player can make within a match rather than before the match should help take the meta game back to the GSC/ADV era of battles being much more dependant on tactical decisions rather than the level of preparation.

donotwant-togepi_thumb.jpg

Being prepared for a battle does not eliminate having to be good at what you do.

And even more broken.

Look at it this way.

Well, I'm a casual Pokémon player, so a lot of what you said doesn't make any sense to me. I just thought mega evolutions were a new way to evolve Pokémon, similar to the anime, wherein Pokémon often evolve right in the thick of things. That sounds really cool.

When I realized that these were just boosts, it became much less interesting. I thought the Pokédex was going to expand in a radical new way. I guess it kinda is, but really it's kinda not.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To an extent that's exactly what it has been doing in recent meta games. I don't think it's unfair at all to say that match up problems rendering matches un-winnable or near un-winnable have become much more prevalent since DPPt, with BW2 being particularly affected.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not a fan of these mega evolutions at all.

I don't play multiplayer.

I am only into pokemon when it is basically an animal (real or mythical)+ something weird, like Arcanine and pokemon of that ilk.

I would be much more excited if they were showing off some new singleplayer ideas outside of the new look.

Maybe I'll just skip it like B/W2. :/

upandaway

I am only into pokemon when it is basically an animal (real or mythical)+ something weird, like Arcanine and pokemon of that ilk.

I would be much more excited if they were showing off some new singleplayer ideas outside of the new look.

Then aren't the 3 new Pokemon right up your alley?

I don't really play multiplayer too, all that means is that the Mega stuff aren't relevant. It's not a big deal.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Have you been basically ignoring every reveal except for this one?

TomJas

Banned

I like mega pokemon but everything im hearing about im disliking more and more

mega pokemon evolution changes back after battle

only have 1 Mega Evolution in a battle

theres me hoping for a all round type champion that only used mega pokemon

So, do we think mega evolutions will be the end of past Gen Pokemon getting legitimate evolutions?

I really HOPE not.

I really do hope that they shock us and reveal Mawile and Absol and other Pokemon like them have brand new proper evols (Absol with a Dark/ Fairy type evol!)... that aren't as strong as the megas stat wise but make up for it by having the ability to learn new moves that the base form can't and hold items (like a normal evol)

But ... I just don't see it happening :[

GF is too good at fucking up my dreams for this to happen.

Well, this just keeps sounding more and more fun ... totally not convoluted and gimmicky :/

Macka

Every new piece of info about these megalutions makes me hate the idea more and more.

Since Mawile and Absol have these shitty powerups as opposed to regular evolutions, it means it's not likely someone could use both on the same team.

I just...I hate it.

Piers

God damn, LOL!
I was going to post a gif of that warp digivolve scene thing as well.

It does feel a step too close to Digimon, but at least from a gameplay perspective it's a neat way of shaking up a battle - especially if it's one wherein a team is getting steamrolled.

It's a bummer this doesn't involve merging which would of been a nice way of adding more consideration to a team's composition - and given speculation to the X/Y title.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mega Evolutions look pretty cool, the new Pokemon are just plain awful. What the fuck is going on with the rabbit's eyes?

It's the generic Normal mon.

But how could say that to Skiddo and Dedenne? Those two are fucking adorable!

Every new piece of info about these megalutions makes me hate the idea more and more.

Since Mawile and Absol have these shitty powerups as opposed to regular evolutions, it means it's not likely someone could use both on the same team.

I just...I hate it.

Using both in the same team is kinda iffy to begin with.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised so many people are in favour of merging/fusions. The point that becomes a serious mechanic is the point I bail out of the series forever. Kyurem was bad enough.

Boss Doggie

UK Commercial

Surprised so many people are in favour of merging/fusions. The point that becomes a serious mechanic is the point I bail out of the series forever. Kyurem was bad enough.

And yet Kyurem needed that fusion to be usable.

And it's as "serious" as it gets because it's official, and no one's stopping you from not using it.

Macka

Using both in the same team is kinda iffy to begin with.
What do you mean by iffy? I only mentioned Absol and Mawile because they are the ones we know about at the moment. Any other Pokemon that are 'improved' by giving them a megalution (like Sabeleye, Pinsir, etc.) would also have this limitation. If these Pokemon were just given normal evolutions, this wouldn't be an issue.

Boss Doggie

What do you mean by iffy? I only mentioned Absol and Mawile because they are the ones we know about at the moment. Any other Pokemon that are 'improved' by giving them a megalution (like Sabeleye, Pinsir, etc.) would also have this limitation. If these Pokemon were just given normal evolutions, this wouldn't be an issue.

I reckon the strength of this mons would be stronger than their "what if" normal evolutions.

And yeah, there's already Sylveon among other things.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bit of a false dichotomy there. There would have many ways to make Kyurem relevant without bastardising some of the ethos of the series. Just off the top of my head, a Soul Dew-esque item would have done the job.

Zento_

Neo Member
I think Mega Evolutions will make more varied movesets more viable for competitive battling, especially when you don't have to worry about sticking to only physical attacks if you have a Mega Evolution that flips those base stats around. We'll just have to see but Smogon is going to bust a nut.

Top Bottom