• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y "Mega Evolutions" revealed (trailer) + new art and details

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bit of a false dichotomy there. There would have many ways to make Kyurem relevant without bastardising some of the ethos of the series. Just off the top of my head, a Soul Dew-esque item would have done the job.

Considering how the Tao trio pretty much involves becoming whole/one, it's not "bastardizing some of the ethos". Personally the sentiment reeks like that "what makes a true pokemon" crap I keep hearing about.

upandaway

Bit of a false dichotomy there. There would have many ways to make Kyurem relevant without bastardising some of the ethos of the series. Just off the top of my head, a Soul Dew-esque item would have done the job.
Oh man, you must have went crazy when you saw Deoxys.

Really they've been doing these things since gen 3 (I don't really like it either, but it's no biggie), so I doubt they'll stop now. Some people just take it to the ethos of the series being.. expanded, I guess.

Ultima_5

This games starting to remind me of megaman battle network something. Whenever they started adding in all the enemy copying stuffs

Santiako

I find hilarious that they found a way to make one of the dumbest looking Pokemon (Blaziken) even dumber looking. Hahaha

If having only one Mega in battle the requirements they mentioned? Or is there something else missing? I'm seriously anxious because I don't want the weak pokes like Absol and Mawile to suffer from convoluted and gimmicky transformation.

1 Mega per Battle, Lack of Hold item is already a decent enough trade off.

It's kind of turn mega evolutions into the star of your team. (Every team has one to be honest).

Anything more and is going to be asking too much. Unless of course Mega evolution double your stats or something crazy.

upandaway

In the team, we believe, but it's not concise
It's probably just that the first Mega form to activate in the battle is the one that stays, and the rest in the team simply don't happen (then comes the question, what happens if that Mega Pokemon dies..)

edit. if you will, one of the conditions for a mega evolution could be "no other mega evolution is active". there!

I think some people are reading far too much into the qualifications for these Mega Evolutions.

We know there's a Gym Leader who "holds the key to Mega Evolutions". We know there's a Tower of Mastery in game. We know that the player characters wear bracelets with the Mega Evolution helix on them. Does it not seem likely that this secret qualification is simply finishing a sidequest in this Tower and activating the bracelet? All this talk of Pokemon having to survive for 5 turns or drop half their health or whatever seems to be completely pulled out of nowhere.

81ctibk6.gif

again... again?
Still amazing.

It's sort of unfortunate that I'm not at home to answer all of this (phone), but I'll give my opinion:

1. "Unnatural"
The series has dealt with various origins, natural/supernatural/artificial, for Pokemon since Gen 1. Grimer being essentially human sewage. Porygon being created as a computer program. Mewtwo being a clone. Magnemite. Voltorb. Ditto. Baltoy. Castform. Etc etc.

You know what defines a Pokemon? Being a Pokemon. No way around this, really. You can hate a design, you can say "This shouldn't be something", but it is. There's no superspecial "animals only/nature/no icecream" criteria for candidacy in the Pokemon pantheon beyond "It was concieved by Game Freak's mon team and placed in a mainline game".

2. "Formes in general are battle oriented only and are bad"
Not all formes spring from battle origins. Burmy's different formes are it using materials from it's environment to build it's coat. Basculin, Shellos are different colors based on their location, which expannds on Arbok's different hood designs. Castform was made to change with the weather. Cherrim blooms in sunshine. Giratina needs a way of moving about in the physical realm, hence why he needs legs in our world. Rotom is an electric ghost that possesses appliances.

Speaking of more specific ones (Deoxys, and other formes I don't know about), ya know... just because it's oriented towards battle doesn't mean it's anti Pokemon. You know what all Pokemon do? They battle, whether it's in a trainer vs trainer scenario or if it's between each other in the wild. It's no big surprise to learn that most Pokemon have features meant to scare off opponents, or attract mates, or ward off predators, or fend off opponents. That is, fighting advantages are part of the whole "animal" package.

3. "Unoriginal - megas taken from x"
You know, most every game has some feature that can be said to come from another game, besides the very first ones. Tamagotchi did raising pets first, most RPGs had the concept of physical/special attack properties, following Pokemon was done in Dragon Warrior Monsters (3 at the same time, even), Pokemon-amie is Nintendogs, and dozens of other ideas here and there have probably been done already in terms of world design, battle mechanics, Pokemon concepts, story details, and so on. Before you pick on this specifically, take a look back. Cross pollination takes place constantly. What really matters is that it's _new to Pokemon_.

4. "Unexplainable in-universe"
From the first game, there have been light themes of genetic manipulation. Beyond the concept of artificial Pokemon, Mewtwo was created spefically to be perfect, in terms of what? Combat, intelligence, strength. Fast forwarding to BW2, you have the scientist Colress, who was seeking to find a way to bring out the "full potential of Pokemon" somehow. By the end, he has apparently hit on a method involving the bond between humans and trainers. Now this may be unrelated, but the constantly-accessible Pokemon-amie and Super Training give indication that they follow from this research, as well as Mega Stones. Details will come forth, but nothing in the games is ever introduced just-so with no backing behind it.

5. "Digimon"
Mega Evolution has nothing to do with digivolution, or the Mega level. Even if it did, see the "unoriginal" comment. And third, Digimon complaints are just... you know, I have my own preferences for some mon series over the others, but it's seriously some 90s PvD stuff going on. My natural inclination is to not really take seriously any "argument" that uses Digimon as its core.

6. "This is not evolution"
It's stated to be something different than normal evolution (metamorphosis) - probably going to end up like some sort of overdrive. Having one active at a time is probably for double/triple battle balance. And the name choice is probably something someone in-universe came up with to tie it with something already understood, regular evolution. I also think that the difference is slightly more noted in the Japanese name, which is all katakana to draw emphasis and to strongly differentiate it from evolution, which is always in kanji/hirogana.

JoeM86

I think some people are reading far too much into the qualifications for these Mega Evolutions.

We know there's a Gym Leader who "holds the key to Mega Evolutions". We know there's a Tower of Mastery in game. We know that the player characters wear bracelets with the Mega Evolution helix on them. Does it not seem likely that this secret qualification is simply finishing a sidequest in this Tower and activating the bracelet? All this talk of Pokemon having to survive for 5 turns or drop half their health or whatever seems to be completely pulled out of nowhere.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

This is the far more likely scenario.

Heck, I'm expecting Korrina to have a Mega Lucario.

PK Gaming

Serebii said:
With the official Japanese site update, a small note came out regarding further clarification on the Mega Evolutions. Within this site, it details that with Mega Evolutions, you can only have one Mega Evolution Pokémon in battle.

This will probably be a good thing (balance) but it also means that if there's one really good Mega Evolution, then everyone will use it and disregard everything else. That said, if any of my favorite pokemon get a mega form, I will be using them all of the time.

Forkball

Someone got paid to design Dedenne.

I kind of wonder the drawbacks of using Mega pokemon, especially since not everyone has a mega version, so you'd think there would be a distinct disadvantage.

Busaiku

It's still a battle item, replacing your typical hold item.
It's not crazy to expect something to happen in battle that would affect it.

JoeM86

Someone got paid to design Dedenne.

I kind of wonder the drawbacks of using Mega pokemon, especially since not everyone has a mega version, so you'd think there would be a distinct disadvantage.

Well, you can't give them items such as Choice Band/Scarf/Specs, Leftovers etc.

DaBoss

Late to the fire starter discussion, but Blaziken is like top-tier of them all. Tepig/Emboar are easily the worst of the bunch.

Well yeah, but then there is that awesome starter area fire bird too.

Blaziken > Talonflame

Talonflame is cool though.

I read it as

HAHAHAH SUCK IT, FENNEKIN!

I know, poor Fennekin.

I wonder how long it takes to be able to trade, I would like to trade immediately to get all of the starters, but I need 2 3DSs. :/

It's not pull out of nowhere, is this Gamefreak had already done. Like Zen Mode and Slow Start, we are basing this just as the worst case scenario. Since both of those tactics are gimmicky, convoluted and let's face it useless because of how hard they are to accomplish and the little recompense.

God I hope both of you are right. I want to use my Mega pokes.

Boss Doggie

Additionally, Digimon never had "Mega" - it was a dub thing

I find hilarious that they found a way to make one of the dumbest looking Pokemon (Blaziken) even dumber looking. Hahaha

Ehh if you're limited to american chicken POV I guess it'd look stupid.

Reyne

Why not give Pokemons a genuine third evolution instead of this gimmick? Or give pokemon with one or without evolution a chance to evolve...

Xenex

As much as I like Pokemon, and if I had a 3DS I'd pick this up but don't some of you guys miss the days of Red/Blue/Yellow. It may be my nostalgia kicking in but back then catching them all was a doable task, I did it. There's no way you'll catch them all in X/Y, there must be around 700-800+ Pokemon and to get them all you'll need games like Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, B, W. Maybe it's just me though.

Boss Doggie

I know - I said it from an American perspective. I'm aware of the shifting of power level names, but the Mega association is still there.

And I'll repeat the anger that it's not even Digivolution - that it's Burst mode!

This is why people should watch Savers damnit!

Using "unnatural" as an argument against newer Pokemon makes no sense considering that one of the most popular Pokemon of Gen 1 is a clone created by humans.

Why not give Pokemons a genuine third evolution instead of this gimmick? Or give pokemon with one or without evolution a chance to evolve...

Eviolite would make second evolutions too broken.

Cryxok

5. "Digimon"
Mega Evolution has nothing to do with digivolution, or the Mega level. Even if it did, see the "unoriginal" comment. And third, Digimon complaints are just... you know, I have my own preferences for some mon series over the others, but it's seriously some 90s PvD stuff going on. My natural inclination is to not really take seriously any "argument" that uses Digimon as its core.
it feels like Digimon to me. Sure, in concept is not different from previous formes as Joe stated earlier; the execution is what's bothering me. The fact that it's called "Evolution" but are reversible, alongside the fact that they're just adding "Mega" to the name makes if feel like Digimon to me, reminds me of Kabuterimon digivolving into MegaKabuterimon or something like that. I hope in the final game the "Mega" part doesn't appear, like they do with B. Kyurem and W. Kyurem.

They don't have to make the game full of new ideas (that would be called gimmicks anyway), but at least, make if feel original and different to the others.

As much as I like Pokemon, and if I had a 3DS I'd pick this up but don't some of you guys miss the days of Red/Blue/Yellow. It may be my nostalgia kicking in but back then catching them all was a doable task, I did it. There's no way you'll catch them all in X/Y, there must be around 700-800+ Pokemon and to get them all you'll need games like Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, B, W. Maybe it's just me though.

Not really I hate G/S/C.

What do people think of the 3D models for the Pokemon? Some Pokemon look much better in game imo, such as Dedenne and Bunnelby, whilst some look a little iffy, such as Gogoat and Talonflame.

Plenty already did it in BW. And nothing is stopping you from replaying RBY, but I'll enjoy playing the newer entries in the franchise just fine.

What do people think of the 3D models for the Pokemon? Some Pokemon look much better in game imo, such as Dedenne and Bunnelby, whilst some look a little iffy, such as Gogoat and Talonflame.

I'm glad that they went with a cel-shaded style. I hated the plasticky look that a lot of Pokemon had in Pokedex 3D.

it feels like Digimon to me. Sure, in concept is not different from previous formes as Joe stated earlier; the execution is what's bothering me. The fact that it's called "Evolution" but are reversible, alongside the fact that they're just adding "Mega" to the name makes if feel like Digimon to me, reminds me of Kabuterimon digivolving into MegaKabuterimon or something like that. I hope in the final game the "Mega" part doesn't appear, like they do with B. Kyurem and W. Kyurem.

They don't have to make the game full of new ideas (that would be called gimmicks anyway), but at least, make if feel original and different to the others.

It was pretty stupid to call them "evolutions" anyhow, I think it was just a cool buzz word in the 90s so they kept it.

Evolution in Japan is "shinka", but where as we automatically associate the word with a permanent change (like adaptation in natural selection), in Japan it's closer to "progressing to the next level". You can still revert back to a previous state and it will make sense.

I think the fanbase would've been able to swallow this better if it were called a new style of forme change, because that's essentially what Megas are. Its seems like they attached Shinka/Evolution to it in order to boost the hype.

Akihidas

I think the fanbase would've been able to swallow this better if it were called a new style of forme change, because that's essentially what Megas are. Its seems like they attached Shinka/Evolution to it in order to boost the hype.

Wasn't MegaMewtwo originally 'Awakened'? Why not keep it as that, it seems to be much more fitting.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I've never really criticized the Pokemon series of anything, but not a fan of this. It makes me feel like some pokemon are inherently more special than others (barring legendary). It isn't enough that Lucario got endlessly marketed, put into Smash, AND had decent competitive viability to boot? Did he need more just because he's a fan favorite? Ideally, all final form pokemon should be able to do this. If this was given to only really weak pokemon like 1/2 of the cast, I'd be totally ok with that. I'll even give Mewtwo a pass since he's a legendary. Did Lucario and Speed Boost Blaziken need more? Even if the forms turn out bad, it just feels like Gamefreak have acknowledged that certain pokemon deserve more attention. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's not pull out of nowhere, is this Gamefreak had already done. Like Zen Mode and Slow Start, we are basing this just as the worst case scenario. Since both of those tactics are gimmicky, convoluted and let's face it useless because of how hard they are to accomplish and the little recompense.
Why would they explicitly be keeping it a secret, then? What's the purpose of the Tower of Mastery?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What does it mean "in battle"? only one Mega on your team or only one on the field at once?

Considering they show artwork of Mega Mewtwo and Mega Lucario battling, I'd imagine we'll definitely see Mega Battles between both players.

Kyzer

Banned
I understand, and stuff, but you dont have to defend Pokemon to the point where you dismiss any sort of similarities to other mechanics of other games. Like if my friend played pkmn and was like oh hey this is kind of like final fantasy I wouldnt be like. No. they are entirely different concepts. And furthermore,!

Id be like. Yeah I see what youre saying.

Like. This shit reminds me of digimon. Pokemon is my favorite game franchise. I like it, im excited for it. But I am reminded of it. Not saying they stole the idea or are being unoriginal but are you blind to the similarities or even the idea that it could remind someone of it?

Also, MLucario must be incredible to face Mewtwo. and dat artwork...

Top Bottom