• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y "Mega Evolutions" revealed (trailer) + new art and details

I've never really criticized the Pokemon series of anything, but not a fan of this. It makes me feel like some pokemon are inherently more special than others (barring legendary). It isn't enough that Lucario got endlessly marketed, put into Smash, AND had decent competitive viability to boot? Did he need more just because he's a fan favorite? Ideally, all final form pokemon should be able to do this. If this was given to only really weak pokemon like 1/2 of the cast, I'd be totally ok with that. I'll even give Mewtwo a pass since he's a legendary. Did Lucario and Speed Boost Blaziken need more? Even if the forms turn out bad, it just feels like Gamefreak have acknowledged that certain pokemon deserve more attention. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I disagree. The Mega Pokemon they've showcased so far shows that almost any demographic of Pokemon (short of not fully evolved ones, probably) can gain one. This is a feature that will likely be built upon in later gens, so those weaker pokemon will always have a chance at getting attention from it.

Edit: And given how much Gamefreak is hyping this feature up, I don't think the requirements will be stupid like Zen Mode or Slow Start. They clearly want people to USE this feature, if Mega Evolving ends up being a pain in the ass, they would have added it for nothing.

Kyzer

Banned
anything short of full lines of evolutions for every pokemon always have room for further additions from gf. Im sure mega evos will be the same.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I disagree. The Mega Pokemon they've showcased so far shows that almost any demographic of Pokemon (short of not fully evolved ones, probably) can gain one. This is a feature that will likely be built upon in later gens, so those weaker pokemon will always have a chance at getting attention from it.
Well, in the OP, they only list six (Don't Japanese fanartists love Mawile? Thought it was a fan favorite there.), and only the 3 "cool" ones are marketed with screenshots. It could go either way at this point. Like I said, it would be great if all non-evolved pokemon could do this; make it a standard. As is, it just feels lopsided.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, at the very least next issue promises more Mega Evolutions.

Personally I hope we get stuff like Mega-Masquerain (back to the awesome Bug/Water combo it lost when it evolved from Surskit) and Mega-Drapion, less popular Pokemon getting it.

JoeM86

Well, in the OP, they only list six (Don't Japanese fanartists love Mawile? Thought it was a fan favorite there.), and only the 3 "cool" ones are marketed with screenshots. It could go either way at this point. Like I said, it would be great if all non-evolved pokemon could do this; make it a standard. As is, it just feels lopsided.

The other 3 should be revealed to the west on Monday :)

Well, it makes sense that they would show off popular Pokemon first since it would draw a lot of attention to the new feature. When it comes to collection-based series like Pokemon, the "cool guys" are very important when it come to marketing and showing off new gimmicks. Something like MegaCamerupt wouldn't be used as the poster child.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Well, it makes sense that they would show off popular Pokemon first since it would draw a lot of attention to the new feature. When it comes to collection-based series like Pokemon, the "cool guys" are very important when it come to marketing and showing off new gimmicks. Something like MegaCamerupt wouldn't be used as the poster child.
Right, I agree. But they didn't even bother showing the others off. Why not start off with "look at all these pokemon that can mega evolve (or whatever it's called)!" No harm in showing more and not less. But we're veering off topic a bit. Marketing is marketing. I just hope that if not this gen, then by next gen, we can mega evolve all non evolvable pokemon. Gamefreak shouldn't arbitrarily pick some, it should be a standard.

Mr-Joker

Banned
but don't some of you guys miss the days of Red/Blue/Yellow.

Not really no, Gen one is so outdated and has the broken psychic type.

It may be my nostalgia kicking in but back then catching them all was a doable task, I did it. There's no way you'll catch them all in X/Y, there must be around 700-800+ Pokemon and to get them all you'll need games like Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, B, W. Maybe it's just me though.

First off we don't know if X and Y will allow transfer from gen 5 and 4, secondly it actually much easier in the newer game with the event of Wi-Fi trading and GTS.

Right, I agree. But they didn't even bother showing the others off. Why not start off with "look at all these pokemon that can mega evolve (or whatever it's called)!" No harm in showing more and not less. But we're veering off topic a bit. Marketing is marketing. I just hope that if not this gen, then by next gen, we can mega evolve all non evolvable pokemon. Gamefreak shouldn't arbitrarily pick some, it should be a standard.

This may mean nothing but I did notice that Blaze has a X shape to it's breast feathers as well as a horn on it's crest+ black coloring like the X legendary and Lucario has a Y shape to it's yellow fur as well as markings that look like the Y Legendary.

Figured those 3 are being used to market the X and Y gene themes. Wonder if more Pokemon are gonna carry this theme.

Kurita

qZ4TgLn.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I like that not all Mega Evolution are going to just be the original Pokemon with some fur added, this is a pretty cool concept. Maybe the baby will also become an official pre-evo?

Top Bottom