• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y "Mega Evolutions" revealed (trailer) + new art and details

Qurupeke

qZ4TgLn.png

I THOUGHT IT WAS A JOKE! LOL

Ibdvnjxkbmbhvdmnbdjbvhdvhj MIND=BLOWN

Delio

Okay I freaking LOVE this concept. If they keep doing crazy random Mega Evolutions now that arent just adding things to the pokemon it will be fantastic. More crazy stuff Gamefreak!

Delio

Okay going by the assumption that the megastone transforms you right as you go out. Mega Kanga could totally wreck you double giga impact.

Neiteio

Wow, Mega Kangaskhan. As best as I can tell, there are no design changes to the mother; its pouch is just empty now that its baby is a toddler fighting alongside it.

I see its ability, Parental Bond, allows both mother and child to attack in the same turn -- in other words, it can hit twice in one turn. Does this apply to EVERY turn? I also wonder if the child has the same stats as the mother.

DaBoss

Someone who runs a Pokémon news YouTube channel posted a comment saying this:
With this double hit from Mega Kangaskan, there has to be a catch. If it's actually the baby hitting twice, I can see it doing less damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGmhjCHBG1E&lc=Qw5daeBkmVAiFd-lSl_H_AuM0gjlv0wzOC5aBbkEg6o
Legitimacy of that comment though is up in the air. I would imagine that others would have mentioned that earlier.
Probably a misunderstanding.

EDIT: I need to learn to read.

NeonZ

What's MegaKangaskhan? The baby, the parent or both? I guess both but it's a bit weird. Two different Pokemon as one.

The baby seems to be the only one who transforms, but I think the Kangaskhan name always referenced the parent...?

Someone who runs a Pokémon news YouTube channel posted a comment saying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGmhjCHBG1E&lc=Qw5daeBkmVAiFd-lSl_H_AuM0gjlv0wzOC5aBbkEg6o

Legitimacy of that comment though is up in the air. I would imagine that others would have mentioned that earlier.
Probably a misunderstanding.

It's clearly written as speculation, not an authoritative statement.

Drago

I have a feeling that all of the starters will get Megas. I mean, Blaziken shouldn't be the only one.

They're making an event out of Blaziken though. It's probably going to end up as the only starter with a Mega, as much as I disagree with that.

Anyways, I love Mega Kangaskhan, and it will be interesting to see how the two-hits-one-turn pans out, especially as far as stats go.

So when you breed Kangaskhan, does both the mother and child pop out of the egg?

Yep.

Neiteio

I don't want them to make mega forms of all the starters just for the sake of "equality." That's ridiculous. They shouldn't force this stuff. :)

If Blaziken's the only one, fine. They can always add more in the future. That's the nice thing about Mega Evolution, and each Pokémon requiring its own special stone to mega-evolve -- they can always add the special stones in the future. No need to come up with a new evolution method; just add the custom stone.

If I had to guess, I'd say the original three might receive mega forms. Reason being, part of the spot-on Pokebeach rumors was that a professor in the game gives you your choice of Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander. If you're going to give people access to the original three starters in the game, it'd seem fitting to introduce mega forms for them.

At any rate, this is all so exciting. Literally any Pokémon, no matter how evolved, is now fair game for an enhanced form that can be fresh twist on a familiar thing. This mega form of Kangaskhan (I hate writing that name, lol) is so brilliant in its simplicity -- it's not the mother that evolves, but the child, and the bond between them, allowing them to hit twice in one turn. Amazing!

Qurupeke

At any rate, this is all so exciting. Literally any Pokémon, no matter how evolved, is now fair game for an enhanced form that can be fresh twist on a familiar thing. This mega form of Kangaskhan (I hate writing that name, lol) is so brilliant in its simplicity -- it's not the mother that evolves, but the child, and the bond between them, allowing them to hit twice in one turn. Amazing!

So, Kangaskhan is the mother(having a useless baby) and the baby power ups using the mega stone. Mega Kangaskhan is the powered up baby and the mother.

So, Kangaskhan is the mother(having a useless baby) and the baby power ups using the mega stone. Mega Kangaskhan is the powered up baby and the mother.

Can you imagine? Using rest. The mother rests while the toddler attacks.

100% recovery move bitch. Yeah!!! =D

Neiteio

Can you imagine? Using rest. The mother rests while the toddler attacks.

100% recovery move bitch. Yeah!!! =D
Would they just perform Rest twice in a row? Assuming Rest doesn't put them both to sleep on the first use, lol. :)

Let's run some conservative numbers, conservative under the assumption that the follow-up attack by the baby is reduced power, let's say cut in half. What's the deadliest attack Mega Khan could deliver under such circumstances?

Neiteio

I think Mega Khan is too clever, conceptually, to be dismissed as a lazy design. The Genwunners should love this.

Kangaskhan was always a bit of a complicated design, anyways, so I think it's admirable restraint on their part to restrict the redesign to the baby. The baby is what mega-evolves, enhancing the combat potential of the pair. :)

Man, I have a feeling they'll mega-evolve Gyarados, probably one of the best-beloved of the already beloved original 151. A change to Water/Dragon would be swell. :)

Top Bottom