• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pole dancing could be on track to becoming an Olympic sport

Then they are some basic pole girls and at best culture vultures. Removing the sexuality from the pole routine is missing a huge point of the profession.
No comment on ballet?

"Removing sexuality and prostitution from ballet dance routine is missing a huge point of the profession."

Do you see how shortsighted and completely ridiculous your statement looks when seen with historical context?

Stop being willfully ignorant.

JoeNut

HGaIQMF.gif

i came for this.

wait..came...

MoeDabs

No comment on ballet?

"Removing sexuality and prostitution from ballet dance routine is missing a huge point of the profession."

Do you see how shortsighted and completely ridiculous your statement looks when seen with historical context?

Stop being willfully ignorant.

I never responded to you so why do you keep trying to bait me? Fuck off?

Myriadis

Then they are some basic pole girls and at best culture vultures. Removing the sexuality from the pole routine is missing a huge point of the profession. You don’t have to like it. Just don’t be ignorant

If you can't see past that it's not my problem. Doesn't change the fact that it is now recognized as an official sport, otherwise it couldn't even have applied for the Olympics.
And I'm not ignorant as I mentioned for what it is also used

A
I never responded to you so why do you keep trying to bait me? Fuck off?
It's not called a forum for nothing.

MoeDabs

If you can't see past that it's not my problem. Doesn't change the fact that it is now recognized as an official sport, otherwise it couldn't even have applied for the Olympics.

I’m not sure wtf you are arguing about ? I just think a bunch of guys on neogaf pretending they know shit about pole dancing thinking they know anything at all about it quite comical. ;p

Good night :)

I’m not sure wtf you are arguing about ? I just think a bunch of guys on neogaf pretending they know shit about pole dancing thinking they know anything at all about it quite comical. ;p

It's fairly easy to read. Of course, you took it the wrong way and came in here with an insulting and demeaning manner, though which seems to have clouded your judgement.

Myriadis

That it's a legit sport and not just some sexual activity, no matter how much you dislike it.
Sweet dreams darling. :*

This topic convinced me that men should never pole dance. Nothing about sexual attraction. It's just not very aesthetic. It looks very ugly when it's a man, but artful and beautiful when it's a woman.

Fuck that mess, it looks great with anyone who has the strength and agility to pull it off.

Myriadis

Point out where I says it was purely a sexual activity sweet heart. You can’t. Night babe :*

Your reply:

And most of the best pole dancers have worked in a strip club. You are just as bad as the people you chastised. You are pathetic and a piece of human shit.
His point was that it, and I quote there, does not make it sexual as a whole. To which you replied with that. Simple as that. No indication at all that you would see it as an sport, and your calling of anyone who does it as a sport as "culture vultures" is pretty telling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think pole twerking would actually be really hard. I'm drawing up a mental diagram. A lot of pressure would be on the hands and wrists to achieve a good twerk on a pole.

MoeDabs

His point was that it, and I quote there, does not make it sexual as a whole. To which you replied with that. Simple as that. No indication at all that you would see it as an sport, and your calling of anyone who does it as a sport as "culture vultures" is pretty telling.

At best you can say I think those who never stripped as culture vultures. Because those are the girls who are quick to proclaim they only do it as a sport since they are of course not “sluts”. I of course believe it’s a sport. I also believe in air. Want to know more stupid trivia? Ask yourself questions

This thread is incredibly condescending towards the professionals who do this for money and not some stupid medal.

I've actually read a post about culturally appropriating pole dancing in this thread.

I feel old.

To me, the important part is what makes it appropriation.
The removal of sexual stuff.
Amazing.

At best you can say I think those who never stripped as culture vultures. Because those are the girls who are quick to proclaim they only do it as a sport since they are of course not “sluts”. I of course believe it’s a sport. I also believe in air. Want to know more stupid trivia? Ask yourself questions

This thread is incredibly condescending towards the professionals who do this for money and not some stupid medal.
You sound overly defensive, to the point where you are insulting people who have done nothing wrong except "not stripping".
It's ridiculous.

Ehh that’s not what I said but who cares about strippers, right bro? Fuck them. Go Pole athletes tho!!

Then explain yourself.
What makes being a pole athlete without stripping wrong?
Why culture vultures?

To me, it seems like you're projecting some negative experiences onto the people in this thread, hearing things that were never said.

Like "who cares about strippers, fuck them".

Edit: Mh. Oh well.

Lain

[...]
This is a submission video for a competition in Mexico:
Spider-man Pole dance
See you, don't need to be in a sexy attire and grinding on the pole all the time.

she is a friend of mine and she is fucking awesome <3

Really nice post as a whole, but I wanted to specifically comment that, looking at that video, your friend is indeed awesome.

Myriadis

There is essentially nothing wrong with strippers doing pole dancing. But it's also a legit sport and no one should be shamed or seen as a stripper for doing it for sport. Good at least that you see it as a sport, even though I definitely don't like your views of those who do it as a sport.

Edit: oh, he's banned. Ain't even mad considering what he implied just there about my sister and friends of mine.

Jezan

Really nice post as a whole, but I wanted to specifically comment that, looking at that video, your friend is indeed awesome.
Thanks! :)

I think pole twerking would actually be really hard. I'm drawing up a mental diagram. A lot of pressure would be on the hands and wrists to achieve a good twerk on a pole.
If you know how to twerk and you can Invert is kinda easy at that point. When you can invert without jumping to gain momentum, you already have enough strength to twerk, but then again the twerk part is hard. When people can't invert here is a floor variation, where you just lock your knees on the pole and you support yourself with your arms on the floor.

It's kinda funny that an aerial twerk uses legs to support you and arms to "stay away" from the pole. And in the floor version, the legs are the ones separating your body from the pole and arms are supporting your weight.

It's also really helpful to know how to shift your body weight and when to do it, it kinda helps you cheat a little to reach positions if you don't have enough strength, of course part of that cheating comes from losing the fear to being midair and also trusting you won't overthrow your legs and come crashing down.

BTW no one asked but I think it's cool. There are two kind of pole, that's why you always see two poles at most competitions, it's not only because they are used for teams. One is a static pole and the other is spinning. As you can guess one doesn't move and you can spin if you let your grip off a little, that's why people start sliding down slowly when they are doing a spin on this one and mostly the spin is slowed down in few seconds, while the spinning pole, spins, you only need very little momentum to keep spinning, it's a double edge weapon, as most of us when first try spinning pole mode when we feel we are going to fast grab the pole and try to get closer, but that only makes it go faster, cries of help everywhere lol.

Szu

This topic convinced me that men should never pole dance. Nothing about sexual attraction. It's just not very aesthetic. It looks very ugly when it's a man, but artful and beautiful when it's a woman.

Sure, whatever you say.
giphy.gif

Dumb idea. Even if it is added, it should be added as another apparatus in gymnastics.

Would be a crime if it became an Olympic sport before ballroom dancing.

Ratrat

I get this tbh.

Its like when that stupid movie Burlesque released and Christina Aguilera insulted Dita Von Teese and strippers. You should respect the history and the people who made it.

Not a fan of including anything that is very subjective on who "wins" and who "loses". Yes, that would include all the dancing, synchronized swimming, etc categories. What one judge thinks is a flawless performance may be an average score to another judge and how is a layman supposed to decide who is right? Seems much more open to bribery and fraud as well.

Then again I don't think stuff like poker, e-sports, or bowling should be in the Olympics either so I guess even my feelings are pretty arbitrary.

Aske

I'm all for anything and everything becoming an Olympic sport. The more people are able to participate, or watch a given event and feel personally inspired, the better off we all are.

darscot

Have none of you ever watched gymnastics? I'm not saying this doesn't take some strength and fitness but do honestly think it's anywhere near the level of rings or bars?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just wanted to drop some korean pole dancing in this thread
https://www.instagram.com/letspole
I remember this person from the first time she showed up in a gaf thread. She does some crazy impressive shit, and still seems to be getting better. I don't know how the hell you hold your entire body weight from gripping the bar with the inside of one elbow, but she does stuff like that regularly.

I think a few months ago she won 2nd in some competition? She posted about it on that instagram.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Have none of you ever watched gymnastics? I'm not saying this doesn't take some strength and fitness but do honestly think it's anywhere near the level of rings or bars?

Near the level? Yes. How can you look at that gif and not think that is near the range of gymnasts?

I feel like you are just comparing the usual pole dancing and not the top tier stuff.

darscot

Near the level? Yes. How can you look at that gif and not think that is near the range of gymnasts?

I feel like you are just comparing the usual pole dancing and not the top tier stuff.

I understand the laws of physics, friction and leverage. I know it takes years to learn bars, years of shredding the rips from your hands. Take the best pole dancer in the world and see how long it takes them to learn say kip cast to handstand. That is a building block skill on bars. Then take the best gymnast in the world and see how long it takes them to pole dance. The pole dancer will take month or years if they ever master the skill the gymnast is going to take a few days. Pole dancing in the olympics would be nothing but a joke medal for gymnastics. It just dosen't take unique skill. Double Mini and Tumbling are ridiculous but they are just too close to Vault and Floor that's why they are not in. Trampoline is in because its unique enough to set it apart.

Top Bottom