• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pole dancing could be on track to becoming an Olympic sport

I understand the laws of physics, friction and leverage. I know it takes years to learn bars, years of shredding the rips from your hands. Take the best pole dancer in the world and see how long it takes them to learn say kip cast to handstand. That is a building block skill on bars. Then take the best gymnast in the world and see how long it takes them to pole dance. The pole dancer will take month or years if they ever master the skill the gymnast is going to take a few days. Pole dancing in the olympics would be nothing but a joke medal for gymnastics. It just dosen't take unique skill. Double Mini and Tumbling are ridiculous but they are just too close to Vault and Floor that's why they are not in. Trampoline is in because its unique enough to set it apart.

I suppose I don't see how it is any different than any other single apparatus gymnastics event.

darscot

I suppose I don't see how it is any different than any other single apparatus gymnastics event.

You just don't understand the two sports, just because you can't see the difference does not make them the same. It takes 15 years of devotion to master an apparatus at the olympic level. By 25 your over the hill and just can't cut it anymore. There are a few rare exceptions. What does it take to master pole dancing?

You just don't understand the two sports, just because you can't see the difference does not make them the same. It takes 15 years of devotion to master an apparatus at the olympic level. By 25 your over the hill and just can't cut it anymore. There are a few rare exceptions. What does it take to master pole dancing?

But its not an Olympic sport yet. Even as a sport it's in its infancy. You honestly don't think someone that puts an equivalent effort into pole dancing wouldn't stand head and shoulders above someone who hasn't?

I'd imagine that gymnasts will be the best competitors at it, but that doesn't mean it's easier than other gymnastic events. It's a nearly identical skillset.

Doikor

I could see this added as an event into gymnastics. Could be really interesting to see what someone with the skill set and strength to do crazy shit on the rings and bars can do on the pole. (I had a classmate who got to compete in the european championships a couple times and followed gymnastics a bit due to that for a while)

darscot

But its not an Olympic sport yet. Even as a sport it's in its infancy. You honestly don't think someone that puts an equivalent effort into pole dancing wouldn't stand head and shoulders above someone who hasn't?

I'd imagine that gymnasts will be the best competitors at it, but that doesn't mean it's easier than other gymnastic events. It's a nearly identical skillset.

You just intentionally pretending they are the same. Watch a little gymnastics head down to a gym and ask them which is easier or if they take the same skillsets. Watch a gymnast take a slam then tell me they are the same. Pole dancing is great work out it takes strength and fitness it is laughable to consider it on the same level as gymnastics.

Stanng243

You just intentionally pretending they are the same. Watch a little gymnastics head down to a gym and ask them which is easier or if they take the same skillsets. Watch a gymnast take a slam then tell me they are the same. Pole dancing is great work out it takes strength and fitness it is laughable to consider it on the same level as gymnastics.

As a casual observer they seem to take a similar skill set. I believe pole dancing should be in the Olympics.

My ex got into pole dancing, it was fun to watch but not sure how I'd feel about underage teens being featured. Your skin has to be in contact with the pole for you to stick which results in most pole dancers not exactly wearing much. If they can keep it more technical and less sexualized then it could be a good addition.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
My ex got into pole dancing, it was fun to watch but not sure how I'd feel about underage teens being featured. Your skin has to be in contact with the pole for you to stick which results in most pole dancers not exactly wearing much. If they can keep it more technical and less sexualized then it could be a good addition.

the entire olympics should have an 18+ age limit imho.

If you watch a rings routine and some of the videos posted here... what is different? And if there is some difference, why can't that be incorporated into a pole routine?

No Olympic event is easy. You are competing against the very best in the world. Unless the apparatus itself is so limiting that every competitor scores a perfect 10, I don't understand your criticism.

darscot

If you watch a rings routine and some of the videos posted here... what is different? And if there is some difference, why can't that be incorporated into a pole routine?

No Olympic event is easy. You are competing against the very best in the world. Unless the apparatus itself is so limiting that every competitor scores a perfect 10, I don't understand your criticism.

I can't teach you the fundamentals of physics, gravity and the difference between horizontal and vertical movement. You going to throw release moves on pole, just use magic to get back on again? This whole conversation is pointless like trying to describe color to a blind person.

I can't teach you the fundamentals of physics, gravity and the difference between horizontal and vertical movement. You going to throw release moves on pole, just use magic to get back on again? This whole conversation is pointless like trying to describe color to a blind person.

You mean like this?

Example of not sexy but awesome:
This guy is greatTo let go the pole while spinning in mid-air is something not everyone wants to do because it requires a lot f concentration and strength, if you do it too soon or too late you can fuck up your wrists. He has many tricks like that.

Is there some inherent limitation to the pole that means it won't be competitive? Don't base it on your preconceptions of who pole dances now but rather on what the sport could look like at the highest competitive levels.

darscot

You're only showing the bar. What about rings? Pommel horse? Balance beam? Not seeing why pole dancing is any less intense than any of those.

You guys can't be serious. Like I said go to any gym and watch. You guys have no understanding of what it takes to do gymnastics. The beam is steel under that little cover. Just get up and try and walk on it then come back and talk to me. The physics at play in any event in gymnastics destroy the human body. It's not dancing on a metaphor for a dick.

Szu

I don't understand the argument regarding having this event incorporated or even being compared to Olympic gymnastics.

I find that pole dancing as a event will have more in common with trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics.

Hell, maybe they might have a synchronized pole event like trampoline.

You guys can't be serious. Like I said go to any gym and watch. You guys have no understanding of what it takes to do gymnastics. The beam is steel under that little cover. Just get up and try and walk on it then come back and talk to me. The physics at play in any event in gymnastics destroy the human body. It's not dancing on a metaphor for a dick.

And there it is.

You still haven't explained what it is about a vertical pole that makes it inherently less skillful than any other apparatus. I sincerely want to know, because to a lifelong fan of the Olympics, I can't see it.

And I have been to two Olympics and watched dozens of gymnastics meets while in college. I'm no stranger to the sport as a spectator.

darscot

And there it is.

You still haven't explained what it is about a vertical pole that makes it inherently less skillful than any other apparatus. I sincerely want to know, because to a lifelong fan of the Olympics, I can't see it.

And I have been to two Olympics and watched dozens of gymnastics meets while in college. I'm no stranger to the sport as a spectator.

Seriously go read a basics physics text book. You need a rudimentary understanding of how an athlete uses the apparatus and gravity to generate force. A pole in pole dancing is vertical you generate force horizontally, you can't use it to generate power to propel yourself away from it and gravity to return you to it. There may be some strange exception I can't think of but all trick based sports use gravity.

lenovox1

You sound like you've never watched elite level.pole dancing despite there being plenty of links in this very thread. Sport pole dancing is not strip club pole dancing. And both are insanely difficult disciplines.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Seriously go read a basics physics text book. You need a rudimentary understanding of how an athlete uses the apparatus and gravity to generate force. A pole in pole dancing is vertical you generate force horizontally, you can't use it to generate power to propel yourself away from it and gravity to return you to it. There may be some strange exception I can't think of but all trick based sport use gravity.

Why do you keep being glib about this? No one is saying a pole dancer would propel themselves away from the pole and then come back.

darscot

Why do you keep being glib about this? No one is saying a pole dancer would propel themselves away from the pole and then come back.

That is why it's easy, safe and low impact. That is why its popular as a work out routine for women and men the world over. That is exactly why its not on the same level as other trick based Olympic sports. You asked me to explain the difference and I have done that. Not you personally people in the thread.

I have edited this so we are not comparing it to Dressage.

That is why it's easy, safe and low impact. That is why its popular as a work out routine for women and men the world over. That is exactly why its not on the same level as other Olympic sports.

I mean... running is easy, safe, and low impact and a popular work out routine for women and men the world over. Should running not be an Olympic sport?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That is why it's easy, safe and low impact. That is why its popular as a work out routine for women and men the world over. That is exactly why its not on the same level as other Olympic sports. You asked me to explain the difference and I have done that.

Fucking hell, what a dumb fucking argument.

Maybe everyone is arguing with you because you're being a reductive asshole. By your own logic you need to shut your mouth unless you've actively competed in a pole competition, which judging by the amount of shade you throw at it it's clear you have not. Both traditional gymnastics and pole dancing require intense physical and technical ability

Also, pole is no more inherently sexual than any other single apparatus gymnastics event.

That is why it's easy, safe and low impact. That is why its popular as a work out routine for women and men the world over. That is exactly why its not on the same level as other Olympic sports.

How is this "level" defined, since it includes things like shooting or dressage

We are talking gymnastics. Lets just stick to that.

No. You yourself said Olympic sports.
That is what you said, that is what this ia about.

Edit: If it's not about Olympic sports, than what's your point? Are you just discussing the difficulty of the sport, and you're fine with it becoming an Olympic sport?

darscot

Maybe everyone is arguing with you because you're being a reductive asshole. By your own logic you need to shut your mouth unless you've actively competed in a pole competition, which judging by the amount of shade you throw at it it's clear you have not. Both traditional gymnastics and pole dancing require intense physical and technical ability

Also, pole is no more inherently sexual than any other single apparatus gymnastics event.

I'm 100% agree I am trying to reduce this down to a point people can understand. You guys asked why the difference in intensity and difficulty and I have explained that.

Van Bur3n

Pole gymnastics is a sport in India. They probably mean this kind, because I heard they were trying to push this for Olympics.

indian-pole-gymnast-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXzbPzGwZA

Looks athletic to me. I says why not.

Szu

That is why it's easy, safe and low impact. That is why its popular as a work out routine for women and men the world over. That is exactly why its not on the same level as other trick based Olympic sports. You asked me to explain the difference and I have done that. Not you personally people in the thread.

I have edited this so we are not comparing it to Dressage.

How about release moves from one pole to another pole?

https://youtu.be/8HT-sYnGILE

darscot

How about release moves from one pole to another pole?

https://youtu.be/8HT-sYnGILE

That would dramatically increase the difficulty and intensity. That is not the sport the thread is about.

I was discussing Artistic gymnastics, you guys can keep moving the goal post and talking about other things but none of that is relevant to what I was saying.

My comment above was not mean for Szu, what you are saying about rhythmic or synchronized is a valid argument. My son does Trampoline and its not in the same league though.

That would dramatically increase the difficulty and intensity. That is not the sport the thread is about.

I was discussing Artistic gymnastics, you guys can keep moving the goal post and talking about other things but none of that is relevant to what I was saying.

Yep, the thread is about pole dancing becoming an Olympic sport, like dressage, rhythmic gymnastics, sailing or shooting.
Which you don't want to discuss for some reason.

None of this is relevant to what you were saying, but it's relevant to the thread.
What's your point here? It sounds like you're arguing against it being a sport, but you are focusing on artistic gymnastics for some reason.

I'm 100% agree I am trying to reduce this down to a point people can understand. You guys asked why the difference in intensity and difficulty and I have explained that.

People understand your dumb ass point, but it holds 0 water and paints you as a pedantic asshole. By saying you can't do a specific type of technique on a vertical pole vs a horizontal pole all you are saying is that different apparatuses inherently stress different skills and thus different techniques are derived.

If you have never tried to perform high level pole dancing techniques you have no place commenting on the difficulty or strenuousness of the sport. Just because the barrier for entry of a sport is lower does not mean that the skill cap is.

It's also besides the point that it doesn't even matter if an event is more or less physically strenuous than another Olympic sport. Curling is one of the most watched Olympic sports.

darscot

Yep, the thread is about pole dancing becoming an Olympic sport, like dressage, rhythmic gymnastics, sailing or shooting.
Which you don't want to discuss for some reason.

None of this is relevant to what you were saying, but it's relevant to the thread.
What's your point here? It sounds like you're arguing against it being a sport, but you are focusing on artistic gymnastics for some reason.

Yes I don't think it make sense because Artistics gymnasts will just make it a joke of a metal. They will simply add a minimal level to their training and dominate it. That is why I was focusing on Artistic. It adds nothing to artistic or rythmic.

lenovox1

You have no point. You are merely upset that something that was evolved from traveling side shows and burlesque performance is considered a sport.

You are not the arbiter of all athletics. You have never even seen elite level pole dancing. You are only judging it based on... Quite frankly, nothing. You have nothing.

Yes I don't think it make sense because Artistics gymnasts will just make it a joke of a metal. They will simply add a minimal level to their training and dominate it. That is why I was focusing on Artistic. It adds nothing to artistic or rythmic.

I don't see how saying it would be dominated by people that are already world class athletes diminishes it as a sport.

In fact, it seems to lend credence to the idea that they utilize a comparable skill set.

darscot

I don't see how saying it would be dominated by people that are already world class athletes diminishes it as a sport.

In fact, it seems to lend credence to the idea that they utilize a comparable skill set.

Because there is already a list of events like Double Mini Trampoline and Tumbling that are not in because they don't bring enough new and unique to the sport.

darscot

I will happily concede maybe it makes sense for rhythmic but I don't know what it really adds. Two pole two athlete synchronized and we might be getting somewhere.

The physics at play in any event in gymnastics destroy the human body. It's not dancing on a metaphor for a dick.

LOL ok, you've proved your point that you have ZERO idea what high level competitions are like for this sport, so I'm going to stop replying now. Have a nice day. :)

Edit: Not to mention the sport is still in its fledgling stages. I can't wait to see what happens when more world-class athletes actually take it seriously. There will be huge jumps in what's considered possible, just like on the horizontal bars from the 80's to present.

darscot

Edit: Not to mention the sport is still in its fledgling stages. I can't wait to see what happens when more world-class athletes actually take it seriously. There will be huge jumps in what's considered possible, just like on the horizontal bars from the 80's to present.

The did change the bars to allow the more force to be generated. That change was a major part of the evolution. The apparatus itself has evolved. I don't know exactly what year that happened though. Maybe when pole dancing evolves to the next level it will make sense. I don't know how that happens with a single vertical pole.

Top Bottom