• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Flying_Phoenix said:
So, 10 for Empty, 3 for Toxic, 5 for Rusty, 0 for Gaborn.

Then please make a better one.

Gaborn should be right though

Put me down for a vote for Rusty too.

GhaleonEB

From the Guardian article:

Facts? Considered a form of psychological abuse by some on the Christian right.​

Going to have to remember this line. So true.

GhaleonEB said:

Facts? Considered a form of psychological abuse by some on the Christian right.​

lol, I will borrow that line when I see my relatives again

Jackson50

GhaleonEB said:

Facts? Considered a form of psychological abuse by some on the Christian right.

Beautiful. Lamentably, it is true.

FP has an excellent collection of choice quotes from the GOP debate relevant to foreign policy. For better or worse, a few of my favorites.
"I think this fence business is designed and may well be used against us and keep us in. In economic turmoil, the people want to lead (ph) with their capital. And there's capital controls and there's people control. So, every time you think of fence keeping all those bad people out, think about those fences maybe being used against us, keeping us in."

Ron Paul
"Take a look at the oil revenues. We don't know if they will get in the hands of people who will have designs on radical Islam and the implication of a global caliphate."

Michelle Bachmann
"I would just have to say that I disagree with so much of what has been said here today. President Reagan, when he made his decision back in 1987, he saw this as a human issue. And I hope that all of us, as we deal with this immigration issue, will always see it as an issue that resolves around real human beings. Yes, they came here in an illegal fashion. And yes, they should be punished in some form or fashion. I have two daughters that came to this country, one from China, one from India, legally. I see this issue through their eyes. We can find a solution. If President Reagan were here, he would speak to the American people and he would lay out in hopeful, optimistic terms how we can get there, remembering full well that we're dealing with human beings here. We have to agree.

Jon Huntsman

KingK

Also, as long as we're rolling with the whole GAF Government thing, Jackson50 should be Secretary of State. He always has great posts regarding foreign policy.

The glee and positivity at DailyKos over this "brilliant" plan/speech is nauseating. How many times do we have to hear from cheerleaders that Obama has "trapped" republicans, "turned the table" on them, and put them in a situation where they either choose madness (and be punished) or do what Obama wants? They chose madness every single time and never get punished by the public.

Something will be passed, but the idea that this entire package will make it through the house is laughable. It'll be chopped to pieces and Obama will be stupid enough to declare victory with a neutered bill half as big. Just watch.

Evlar

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
The glee and positivity at DailyKos over this "brilliant" plan/speech is nauseating. How many times do we have to hear from cheerleaders that Obama has "trapped" republicans, "turned the table" on them, and put them in a situation where they either choose madness (and be punished) or do what Obama wants? They chose madness every single time and never get punished by the public.

Something will be passed, but the idea that this entire package will make it through the house is laughable. It'll be chopped to pieces and Obama will be stupid enough to declare victory with a neutered bill half as big. Just watch.
I'm no fan of Obama's performance overall, but I have to wonder what you want him to do. If, as you say, half of the government is occupied by madmen, what could anyone do about it?

I'm entirely on board with criticizing him for attempting to appease the hostage-takers again and again and again and again. This isn't a similar response (for once) and therefore doesn't bear the same kind of criticism.

PhoenixDark said:

Personally I think his jobs plan act is mediocre at best. I do like helping the long-term unemployed to be trained in new skills bit.

PhoenixDark said:

..and Daily Kos will revert back to crying about how President Obama stabbed them in the back when he compromise. Daily Kos has been a nauseating to read for a long time now.

but I did like his speech, and I want to believe.

mckmas8808

PhoenixDark said:

I thought you wanted him to use the bully pulpit to push for things that he wants? Looks like he did it to me.

Chichikov

I vote for eznark.
A gaffer will destroy America in 5 minutes anyway, so he might as well have some lulz on the way out.

Plus I'm a big proponent of training navy seals on Bernt's ass.

2romi41.png

Heh. Nice.

KingK said:
Also, as long as we're rolling with the whole GAF Government thing, Jackson50 should be Secretary of State. He always has great posts regarding foreign policy.
J50 has a slightly narrow interpretation of intervention for my tastes, but I want him to be my US Envoy for Middle East Peace (which is currently held by David Hale). The office deals specifically with Israel-Palestine issue and I think he's more than capable of forging a solution.

PhoenixDark said:

Well for one, I agree that it's way to early to call this a victory for Obama. There's a shitton that could happen between now and then. But there's also the fact that Cantor and Boehner have sent signals that they liked some of the things in the bill. In the end, I think we'll get a $300b-$320b deal instead of $487b, with 80% GOP stuff and 20% Dem stuff.

But yes, the sooner you stop going to dailykos, the better. They were great around during election time though, gotta admit.

Evlar said:
I'm no fan of Obama's performance, but I have to wonder what you want him to do. If, as you say, half of the government is occupied by madmen, what could anyone do about it?

I'm entirely on board with criticizing him for attempting to appease the hostage-takers again and again and again and again. This isn't a similar response (for once) and therefore doesn't bear the same kind of criticism.

I like the idea that he picked a fight last night, one which he'll probably lose; it's something he's been unwilling to do in the past. Using the bully pulpit is essential. My problem is that most likely what we'll get it a gimped bill Obama will use to declare victory.

There's not much he can do. Personally I think he should take the series of steps the executive branch can implement without congress, many of which he outlined last night. But even there one can ask the question "why now?" None of this was a problem a few months ago when UE was higher? These alleged 500 regulations he spoke of eliminating weren't a problem last year? Smog regulations were hampering job growth since 09? The obvious question is "why weren't these things addressed earlier?"

ToxicAdam

Time for a game of "who said it". Hint - Someone that is or might be a presidential candidate:

Do you want to know why nothing ever really gets done? It’s because there’s nothing in it for them. They’ve got a lot of mouths to feed — a lot of corporate lobbyists and a lot of special interests that are counting on them to keep the good times and the money rolling along ...

This is not the capitalism of free men and free markets, of innovation and hard work and ethics, of sacrifice and of risk. It’s the collusion of big government and big business and big finance to the detriment of all the rest — to the little guys. It’s a slap in the face to our small business owners — the true entrepreneurs, the job creators accounting for 70 percent of the jobs in America

You betcha' Sarah

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
I have no doubt this is exactly what will happen. The weakest policy provisions - on the tax side - will get through, coupled with horrible "compromises" on policy or roll backs the GOP demands. And Obama will sell it.

KingK

RustyNails said:
J50 has a slightly narrow interpretation of intervention for my tastes, but I want him to be my US Envoy for Middle East Peace (which is currently held by David Hale). The office deals specifically with Israel-Palestine issue and I think he's more than capable of forging a solution.

Oh, I agree (that's why I voted for you, lol). I support our intervention in Libya, and I know Jackson50, EV, and others here I usually agree with were ardently opposed. However, I still think he provides one of the most constantly informed and insightful viewpoints regarding foreign policy, even if I sometimes disagree.

Also, I just got around to watching Obama's jobs speech. Some good stuff was there, but it seemed like way too much of it was just perpetuating the idea that tax cuts can get us out of this. And anything that would actually pass would have any of the good parts (like infrastructure spending and elimination of corporate tax breaks) taken out anyway. And his explanation of how it was payed for seemed kinda like BS. "It's paid for because I'm asking you guys to find a way to pay for it." wat? Anyway, I think if it passed as it is now, it would help a little, but anything that does end up passing won't have any noticeable effect.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can I be Vice President, since I wouldn't have to have any real knowledge or truly do anything? I can just troll smile all the time, like Biden.

RustyNails said:

Remember when peace fails...my department starts sorting things out. lol

Hey guys, it's Friday.

And you know what Friday means.

GOP trying to cut funding to trains, again.

Despite record-breaking Amtrak ridership and strong support for intercity passenger rail by 15 states, the House Republican transportation budget plan will effectively eliminate all state-supported Amtrak service across the country for the fiscal year beginning October 1.

The FY 2012 Transportation-HUD House Appropriations Subcommittee budget proposal offered by the Majority prohibits the use of federal funds provided to Amtrak to fund any operating costs of state-supported trains. If enacted by the full Congress, it will eliminate nearly 150 weekday state-supported trains and negatively impact the more than nine million passengers who ride those trains each year and the communities they live in.

http://www.examiner.com/train-travel-in-national/house-gop-targets-state-sponsored-amtrak-services

jamesinclair said:
Hey guys, it's Friday.

And you know what Friday means.

GOP trying to cut funding to trains, again.

http://www.examiner.com/train-travel-in-national/house-gop-targets-state-sponsored-amtrak-services

Hey, it's not like it helps keep ticket prices low or anything.

I'm just bitter why can't I take highspeed rail to work like Amtrak and not NJT and not have it cost 1200.

It's funny that for my trip next week airfare is cheaper than round trip Acela from NY to DC and back.

Like I said bitter. ;P

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Hey, it's not like it helps keep ticket prices low or anything.

I'm just bitter why can't I take highspeed rail to work like Amtrak and not NJT and not have it cost 1200.

It's funny that for my trip next week airfare is cheaper than round trip Acela from NY to DC and back.

Like I said bitter. ;P

Free market pricing. Amtrak prices tickets with demand, unlike transit agencies that charge fixed fees.

It should give republicans an orgasm.

jamesinclair said:
Free market pricing. Amtrak prices tickets with demand, unlike transit agencies that charge fixed fees.

It should give republicans an orgasm.

I know...except it's not profitable (or is it they just can't afford new projects).

Technically why can't we have private companies competing for commercial passenger rail...I mean yes I know after 1910 Passenger trains barely generate income and you need to switch offer to industry cars, but it can't be like Railroad Tycoon 2! ;)

Bah, I'll always be cranky about highspeed rail. I mean once you've been on Amtrak, going back to NJT is never easy! lol

Hell, the one time I was on Acela was amazing! I get that being expensive, but fuck find someway to lower the prices for regular Northeast Regional trains!

Fuck all of this I'm going home and playing Railroad Tycoon and doing just that! lol

I know...except it's not profitable (or is it they just can't afford new projects).

Technically why can't we have private companies competing for commercial passenger rail...I mean yes I know after 1910 Passenger trains barely generate income and you need to switch offer to industry cars, but it can't be like Railroad Tycoon 2! ;)

Bah, I'll always be cranky about highspeed rail. I mean once you've been on Amtrak, going back to NJT is never easy! lol

Hell, the one time I was on Acela was amazing! I get that being expensive, but fuck find someway to lower the prices for regular Northeast Regional trains!

Fuck all of this I'm going home and playing Railroad Tycoon and doing just that! lol

Acela is profitable, as is the NE ragional and one or two other lines.

Note that profitable here means covering operating costs. The infrastructure will never be covered by fares.

Thats why private companies wont work out. Have the public pay for the infrastructure and yet have the private company enjoy the profit of the operations? Huh? Thats just giving money away.

This current system allows the profits from lines like Acela to subsidize lines like the Downeaster. Giving the Acela away means we still pay for the downeastern...but now we have to dig money out of the general fund instead of using the profits to subsidize it.

Jackson50

KingK said:
Oh, I agree (that's why I voted for you, lol). I support our intervention in Libya, and I know Jackson50, EV, and others here I usually agree with were ardently opposed. However, I still think he provides one of the most constantly informed and insightful viewpoints regarding foreign policy, even if I sometimes disagree.
Thanks, actually. Moreover, if it is requested, I will serve any prospective administration as SoS. Honestly, I would love to command Foggy Bottom. It would be a dream. Well, until the overwhelming stress made me grayer than a mule.
Remember when peace fails...my department starts sorting things out. lol
Wait, did you not claim that our SLBMs do not have hard-target kill capacity? I think it was you. And you are going to be SecDef? Oy vey!

Jackson50 said:
Wait, did you not claim that our SLBMs do not have hard-target kill capacity? I think it was you. And you are going to be SecDef? Oy vey!
I said that they were inaccurate and had a worse CEP than the land based ones. Also the traditional role of SLBM in the nuclear triad was for soft targets and quick strikes. Thats why the Russians put them off the East Coast, because that way they could strike DC and certain airbases in 12 minutes. They weren't for attacking silos or anything hardened generally. That role was the land based ICBMs since unlike subs its harder to keep a silo in reserve to negotiate a termination of the conflict. I apologize for this brief response as this is being typed on a phone. I promise you a full and detailed response when I get home. I mean how often does one get to discuss nuclear war fighting and deterrence these days :)

Damn republicans

Saying that former Massachusetts House speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi had conspired to sell his office and was an example of the American dream gone wrong, a federal judge today sentenced DiMasi to eight years in prison for steering millions of dollars in state contracts to a software company and secretly profiting from the scheme.

US District Court Judge Mark Wolf also ordered DiMasi to serve two years of supervised release and to forfeit $65,000. DiMasi, a lawyer and veteran lawmaker who had risen to be one of the state’s most powerful politicians, showed no emotion as the judge announced the sentence.

In remarks explaining his decision that stretched about 20 minutes, Wolf pointed out that DiMasi had been the state’s first Italian-American speaker and said DiMasi’s life had been “a great American story” that had gone awry.

Noting that DiMasi was the third Massachusetts House speaker in a row to be convicted in federal court, Wolf also said he was disturbed that DiMasi still had support from some lawmakers who felt he had done nothing wrong. Wolf said he felt the case showed that corruption was a regular occurrence on Beacon Hill.

Wolf had said Thursday that DiMasi could be sentenced to as much as 19 to 24 years in prison under federal sentencing guidelines -- far more than the 12 years and seven months recommended by prosecutors and the three years recommended by DiMasi’s lawyers.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrod...ion-charges/npmq08ytxUqtsD2DVfyseN/index.html

he's a democrat, but it's Massachusetts, who isnt?

jamesinclair said:
Acela is profitable, as is the NE ragional and one or two other lines.

Note that profitable here means covering operating costs. The infrastructure will never be covered by fares.

Thats why private companies wont work out. Have the public pay for the infrastructure and yet have the private company enjoy the profit of the operations? Huh? Thats just giving money away.

This current system allows the profits from lines like Acela to subsidize lines like the Downeaster. Giving the Acela away means we still pay for the downeastern...but now we have to dig money out of the general fund instead of using the profits to subsidize it.
What if accept as taxpayers paying for infrastructure with the goal it would lower fares via competition. We decouple it from the operating costs. People and private companies pay together. Cheaper high speed rail would empower people to look for and be able to work jobs outside their traditional range. People also are able to vacation easier and thus spend more money, more so it means commuters can take hone more money even more than they save via pre tax witholdings for transit.

Also is it not possible for a private company to run smaller, but profitable routes and afford the infrastructure costs you mention?

Keep in mind this just me thinking aloud.

Chichikov said:
I vote for eznark.
A gaffer will destroy America in 5 minutes anyway, so he might as well have some lulz on the way out.

Plus I'm a big proponent of training navy seals on Bernt's ass.
I'd vote for you chichikov. As long as we're all kissing ass here, I should say that you are one of my favorite posters. Not because I've ever agreed with you. It's because you are always respectful and never dismissive, rude, or insulting.

mckmas8808

Obama Visits Cantor’s District to Demand Passage of American Jobs Act
By: David Dayen Friday September 9, 2011 1:36 pm

110713_cantor_obama_ap_328.jpg

The President traveled to Eric Cantor’s district today in Richmond, Virginia, to reiterate his demand to pass the American Jobs Act as a full bill, not in parts. And he asked the assembled crowd to pressure their representatives to get the job done:

I’m asking all of you to lift up your voices, not just here in Richmond — anybody watching, listening, following online, I want you to call, I want to email, I want you to Tweet. I want you to Fax, I want you to visit, I want you to Facebook. Send a carrier pigeon.

I want you to tell your congressperson the time for gridlock and games is over, the time for action is now, the time to create jobs is now. Pass this bill! If you want construction workers on the work site, pass this bill. If you want teachers in the classroom, pass this bill. If you want small business owners to hire new people, pass this bill. If you want veterans to get their share of opportunity that they helped create, pass this bill. If you want a tax break, pass this bill.

Prove you will fight as hard for tax cuts for workers and middle-class people as you do for oil companies and rich folks. Pass this bill! Let’s get something done.

In a parallel move, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic leadership called on Republican committee chairs to move the American Jobs Act forward, with ranking members asking for hearings and markups.

I don’t think anyone expects miracles from this. Republicans aren’t even sold on tax cuts at this point. But I’d rather the President ask his followers to call, fax and tweet in support of a plan that will create at least 1.9 million jobs and bring the unemployment rate down a full point, than in support of a “balanced approach” to deficit reduction, like he did during the debt limit deal.

This is, at root, an extension of the job creation measures of the Recovery Act, which clearly faded too fast. It’s not the most liberal deal in the world. It has too many tax cuts. The job training program modeled on GeorgiaWorks is a losing proposition. Because of the depth of the hole, this plan won’t do the entire job of stabilizing the economy. And yet it’s a step, a legitimate step with some useful programs. We could spend money on infrastructure projects, or do nothing and spend more in the future on the same maintenance. We can do nothing and see demand stagnate, or spend now to increase demand and create growth and knock-on effects in the future. And so on.

It’s worth seeing whether the outside game will work in this context. And it’s worth putting energy into passage of the American Jobs Act, while resisting the more misguided efforts to pay for it in the Catfood Commission II

###############

LOL at send a carrier piegon. But I like going directly to Eric Cantor's district one day removed from giving this Joint Congress speech.

Jackson50

I said that they were inaccurate and had a worse CEP than the land based ones. Also the traditional role of SLBM in the nuclear triad was for soft targets and quick strikes. Thats why the Russians put them off the East Coast, because that way they could strike DC and certain airbases in 12 minutes. They weren't for attacking silos or anything hardened generally. That role was the land based ICBMs since unlike subs its harder to keep a silo in reserve to negotiate a termination of the conflict. I apologize for this brief response as this is being typed on a phone. I promise you a full and detailed response when I get home. I mean how often does one get to discuss nuclear war fighting and deterrence these days :)
Your criticism would have been valid for most of the Cold War. The old generation of SLBMs were inaccurate and had a higher CEP. Otherwise, presently, your assertion is erroneous. The current generation of SLBMs have a CEP comparable to the MX and, thus, present a credible hard-target kill capacity. That is why the Soviets threw a tantrum at their advent. Not only were they exceptionally survivable, they could, theoretically, contravene the Soviet's counterforce. Really, our SLBMs affords us a considerable strategic advantage in the flexibility of our nuclear forces.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I'd vote for you chichikov. As long as we're all kissing ass here, I should say that you are one of my favorite posters. Not because I've ever agreed with you. It's because you are always respectful and never dismissive, rude, or insulting.
You know what happened last time we selected a "I'd have a beer with him" candidate

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can't wait for Bachman to fade into irrelevance. Everything that comes out of this woman's mouth makes me wanna back a semi over her.

GhaleonEB

Gr1mLock said:
I can't wait for Bachman to fade into irrelevance. Everything that comes out of this woman's mouth makes me wanna back a semi over her.
She started fading the moment Perry entered the race. She'll be toast after New Hampshire, assuming she gets that far.

Jackson50 said:
Your criticism would have been valid for most of the Cold War. The old generation of SLBMs were inaccurate and had a higher CEP. Otherwise, presently, your assertion is erroneous. The current generation of SLBMs have a CEP comparable to the MX and, thus, present a credible hard-target kill capacity. That is why the Soviets threw a tantrum at their advent. Not only were they exceptionally survivable, they could, theoretically, contravene the Soviet's counterforce. Really, our SLBMs affords us a considerable strategic advantage in the flexibility of our nuclear forces.
Yes, you are correct, I was in error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom