• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
At about 10:30 pm EST Fox News will be having an "Obamacare rollout"

They are desperate lol.

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

EV, today I read an NPR article linked on Twitter about the tax credits/breaks expiring 12/31/13 where the first "quote from an outsider expert/interested party" came from a Cato Institute lickspittle and I couldn't help but think of you.
Enrages me every time.
Still not as bad as when NPR quoted the Family Research Council on a gay marriage story. I was going to write a complaint letter to the network, but then forgot about it. :/

I only listen to NPR (I listen while I cook), and yet I am far more informed of conservative opinions of the news than liberal. The story pattern always seems to be, Here is a positive story about, say, the economy; for commentary, let's turn to so-and-so from the Cato Institute, or the Heritage Foundation, the Brookings Institution, etc. They used to play a few more liberal commentaries, but I think those guys died off.

Also amusing is the idea that the Washington Post is a liberal newspaper. Their editorial page is filled with conservative columns; they routinely carry the conservative presidential candidates editorials far more than the NY Times; they carried Bush's water on Iraq and 9/11; they think Bob Woodward is objective; they're a corporation mouthpiece foremost. They're coasting on a "liberal" label earned over 30 years ago, but not deserved for quite some time.

msnbc dun goofed with Romney's adopted black grandkid. Pretty dumb thing to do and it only feeds into GOP's hollow claims of bad librul media.

msnbc dun goofed with Romney's adopted black grandkid. Pretty dumb thing to do and it only feeds into GOP's hollow claims of bad librul media.
It's so incredibly petty and stupid, I can't defend it. Seems like Perry is constantly making a fool of herself.

From what I understand MSBC's ratings have tanked all year, and it's not hard to see why. The only good program they have is Maddow, whereas the rest of the hosts suck; sure a part of me still likes Matthews but his style is annoying to most. Sharpton's show is popular apparently, I have no idea why; my mom loves it.

Half her family is white Mormons..... Sounds like her other controversy with her and her panel making a "Jewish joke".

This isn't Bashir nasty mean stuff. She and her show just are very comfortable at discussing race and poking fun certain aspects of it which can sometimes not go over well or seem mean spirited without that being the intent. She apologized unreservedly which was the right response.

Conservatives are mad that she used a hashtag though.
It's so incredibly petty and stupid, I can't defend it. Seems like Perry is constantly making a fool of herself.

From what I understand MSBC's ratings have tanked all year, and it's not hard to see why. The only good program they have is Maddow, whereas the rest of the hosts suck; sure a part of me still likes Matthews but his style is annoying to most. Sharpton's show is popular apparently, I have no idea why; my mom loves it.
Stop with the concern trolling

Chumly

Conservatives have successfully turned that vast majority of media into right wing. You have fox news which is extremely right wing and then everything else that leans right wing (except MSNBC of course). If there is the slightest of good news for Obama or democrats they all rush to put a negative spin on it.

....what are you talking about?
Melissa Harris-Perry joked that Romney's grandkid should marry Kim and Kanye's child. It wasn't scandalous, but it gave rightwingers just enough ammo to lob grenades. Other panelist said "one of these things is not like the other", referring to a photo of Romney surrounded by two dozen or so grandkids, one of who is black. But in the same panel, Dean Obeidallah said that photo explains GOP's diversity, which I thought was pretty funny.

To be fair Fox News has been race baiting all year in Trayvon Martin coverage and no one bats an eye because 'it's par for the course', blaming anything that relates to black culture as 'thug'. Hannity was trying to link him to Black Panthers, Pat Buchanan calling it "black on white crime". Besides Trayvon coverage, they constantly fearmonger about blacks and especially young blacks.
Half her family is white Mormons..... Sounds like her other controversy with her and her panel making a "Jewish joke".

This isn't Bashir nasty mean stuff. She and her show just are very comfortable at discussing race and poking fun certain aspects of it which can sometimes not go over well or seem mean spirited without that being the intent. She apologized unreservedly which was the right response.

Conservatives are mad that she used a hashtag though.

Stop with the concern trolling
What MHP said wasn't anything inflammatory, but it was dumb. Just stop giving them ammo and don't make stupid remarks.

Conservatives have successfully turned that vast majority of media into right wing. You have fox news which is extremely right wing and then everything else that leans right wing (except MSNBC of course). If there is the slightest of good news for Obama or democrats they all rush to put a negative spin on it.
This is simplistic, the media isn't pro republican or anything. Its pro status quo and driven by elite interests. Which is why its generally socially liberal while anti progressive when it threatens their interests.

This isn't a conscious choice most of the time or one that's new. Its because those in the media tend to think that way because its where they come from.

Even places like the BBC have this kind of bent. Active hiring from outside the typical upper middle class environment can help.

What MHP said wasn't anything inflammatory, but it was dumb. Just stop giving them ammo and don't make stupid remarks.
So self censor yourself to please a group that will still find something wrong? Not saying these comments were smart or anything, but these do not reflect any racism.

My guess is the right wanted to get back after the duck dynasty thing.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Watching CNN right now and all the commercial breaks are filled with Christian Mingle, military propaganda and other topics that tend to lean conservative. Funny how the freaken commercials are pretty revealing as to how much CNN has changed.

So self censor yourself to please a group that will still find something wrong? Not saying these comments were smart or anything, but these do not reflect any racism.

My guess is the right wanted to get back after the duck dynasty thing.

I don't think anyone said it's racist, at least not here. It's stupid and petty, and par the course for her.

The most frustrating/annoying thing is that mere days ago, Fox was demanding freedom of speech for the Duck Dynasty dude. Likewise you can bet your ass that if a Fox host made a similar comment about an adopted black kid, there would be a GAF thread and outrage online.

lol @ Fox being outraged about the Kanye West part of the comments though.

I don't think anyone said it's racist, at least not here. It's stupid and petty, and par the course for her.

The most frustrating/annoying thing is that mere days ago, Fox was demanding freedom of speech for the Duck Dynasty dude. Likewise you can bet your ass that if a Fox host made a similar comment about an adopted black kid, there would be a GAF thread and outrage online.

lol @ Fox being outraged about the Kanye West part of the comments though.
I guess I'm half responding the the carnival of stupid over on twitchy who are outraged she taged her apology with hashtags (BTW I ended up on twitchy once, wtf)

Par for the course? Have you ever watched her show? Its probably the best weekend show as they actually can speak more than talking points. That and its nice to have more than politicians pundits giving their opinion.

I don't see the comparison with fox because there's intent behind words. A network that has constantly race baited and promoted racist though processes is going to be judged on that.

The body of MHP work (full disclosure she was my professor) is racial and feminist (as that's what she studies) in nature and these comments don't seem to be anything but unnecessary and hurtful, which is why she apologized. This context is why she won't really be 'punished' like the right wants, they were a mistake but not part of a wider hateful view which is what is really so disturbing about things like phill, Kelly, etc.

I know your not saying they are the but its why your attack and false comparison to fox and duck dynasty is annoying and strikes me as a concern trolling attempt, they are nothing a like.

Alright guys, some 2014 predictions.

- Nothing of huge importance is accomplished in Congress. Unemployment extension passes, while an increase to the minimum wage passes in the Senate but is DOA in the House (even though it would pass in the House if it were just brought up for a vote).

- House Republicans make a half-assed attempt at reviving immigration reform but ultimately kill it, and several of their members will make off-color comments about Hispanic people in the process.

- The debt ceiling becomes a clusterfuck that sinks the GOP's numbers owing to some tea party shenanigans.

- Obamacare enrollment hits its goal of 7 million on private insurance. While the law never becomes extraordinarily popular, it gains majority support in polls and is essentially neutralized as an issue in the midterm elections.

- Unemployment hits 6% before the end of the year, and the budget deficit close to halves owing to higher tax receipts.

- SCOTUS agrees to hear a gay marriage case but we won't get a ruling or anything until next year. Until then, four more states will legalize it: Oregon, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Oregon via ballot initiative, the other three through the courts. A coalition of states with legalized gay marriage would now be big enough to elect a U.S. president.

- Democrats win the House with a commanding 220-215 majority.

- The Senate stays at 55-45 Democrats. Democrats lose West Virginia and South Dakota while picking up Georgia and Kentucky.

- Democrats hit it big in governors' races - Michigan, Florida, Maine, Pennsylvania, and one more state will all turn blue. Democrats hold everywhere else.

- Mitch McConnell at some point after the election forgets he won't be a Senator anymore and tries to issue a bold threat to Harry Reid, which is subsequently laughed off by Senate Democrats and the press.

- To close out the year, Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy for President of the United States.

- Nothing of huge importance is accomplished in Congress. Unemployment extension passes, while an increase to the minimum wage passes in the Senate but is DOA in the House (even though it would pass in the House if it were just brought up for a vote).

- House Republicans make a half-assed attempt at reviving immigration reform but ultimately kill it, and several of their members will make off-color comments about Hispanic people in the process.

- The debt ceiling becomes a clusterfuck that sinks the GOP's numbers owing to some tea party shenanigans.

- Obamacare enrollment hits its goal of 7 million on private insurance. While the law never becomes extraordinarily popular, it gains majority support in polls and is essentially neutralized as an issue in the midterm elections.

- Unemployment hits 6% before the end of the year, and the budget deficit close to halves owing to higher tax receipts.

- SCOTUS agrees to hear a gay marriage case but we won't get a ruling or anything until next year. Until then, four more states will legalize it: Oregon, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Oregon via ballot initiative, the other three through the courts. A coalition of states with legalized gay marriage would now be big enough to elect a U.S. president.

- The Senate stays at 55-45 Democrats. Democrats lose West Virginia and South Dakota while picking up Georgia and Kentucky.

- Democrats hit it big in governors' races - Michigan, Florida, Maine, Pennsylvania, and one more state will all turn blue. Democrats hold everywhere else.

- Mitch McConnell at some point after the election forgets he won't be a Senator anymore and tries to issue a bold threat to Harry Reid, which is subsequently laughed off by Senate Democrats and the press.

- To close out the year, Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy for President of the United States.
I, too, predict unemployment will pass.

I was hoping for a hopium post and you delivered.

that's one hell of a "commanding" majority dude

LOL this would be hilarious

I agree with most of those predictions except for the election ones. Swing the house result 10 seats towards the Republicans, and one seat towards them in the Senate. I could see a win for the Senate Democrats in Georgia or Kentucky, but not both.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Melissa Harris-Perry joked that Romney's grandkid should marry Kim and Kanye's child. It wasn't scandalous, but it gave rightwingers just enough ammo to lob grenades. Other panelist said "one of these things is not like the other", referring to a photo of Romney surrounded by two dozen or so grandkids, one of who is black. But in the same panel, Dean Obeidallah said that photo explains GOP's diversity, which I thought was pretty funny.

I thought it was very disappointing to see them pointing out joking about an adopted child being the weird one of the family. I know I'd be furious if anyone made any jokes about my adopted Hispanic cousin's race when I showed them our family photo.

It's especially surprising considering Melissa Harris-Perry's main focus is on equality for race, gender, and sexuality. But the good news is she actually apologized for it and did it in the correct way by not trying to defend herself or apply blame to anyone but herself. I don't know how anyone could ask for more than that.

It also really helps that she does have a history of being more tolerant than most other shows, making it a lot easier to excuse it as a mistake. She's pretty much the one person to actually put a trans person on the show to talk about trans rights, or put a walmart worker on to talk about worker rights, while other networks just put a democrat strategist on the show to talk about those issues.

You'd think it's common sense to let people actually affected by the issues have a voice in the conversation but it's a very rare sight to see that happen. So in the end I hope her show isn't effected by this controversy, but in no way am I going to say that segment was perfectly fine.

I thought it was very disappointing to see them pointing out joking about an adopted child being the weird one of the family. I know I'd be furious if anyone made any jokes about my adopted Hispanic cousin's race when I showed them our family photo.

It's especially surprising considering Melissa Harris-Perry's main focus is on equality for race, gender, and sexuality. But the good news is she actually apologized for it and did it in the correct way by not trying to defend herself or apply blame to anyone but herself. I don't know how anyone could ask for more than that.

It also really helps that she does have a history of being more tolerant than most other shows, making it a lot easier to excuse it as a mistake. She's pretty much the one person to actually put a trans person on the show to talk about trans rights, or put a walmart worker on to talk about worker rights, while other networks just put a democrat strategist on the show to talk about those issues.

You'd think it's common sense to let people actually affected by the issues have a voice in the conversation but it's a very rare sight to see that happen. So in the end I hope her show isn't effected by this controversy, but in no way am I going to say that segment was perfectly fine.
Good post

Wilsongt

...k...

Tennessee Man Suing A&E, GLAAD, and Obama over Duck Dynasty Suspension

In a post-mortem of sorts to the gigantic mess that was the Duck Dynasty controversy, a Tennessee man is filing suit against A&E, GLAAD, and President Obama for religious persecutionover the suspension of Phil Robertson, and uses some rather interesting visuals to make his point.

In the lawsuit, posted in full on Techdirt, Chris Sevier completely rails against the idea that expressing a negative opinion on homosexuality makes a person a bigot, and declares proudly, “WE LIVE IN A CHRISTIAN NATION ‘JACK.’” He accuses A&E and GLAAD of engaging in tactics similar to Nazi SS leader Heinrich Himmler.

Now, you may wonder why the President of the United States would be named in this lawsuit. Sevier explains one reason why.

Diablos

Aaron Strife said:
-Barack Obama discovers a Congressional Genie that will grant him the ability to reverse GOP-favored gerrymandering.

-FDR comes back from the dead and saves the world.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Why was it petty? I've read through the comments she and the panel made, and I honestly don't see how she was insulting the kid. Mittens? Yes, but not the kid.

Of course.

I think they can get 60 votes.

Why? It's going to boil down to republicans arguing against the government "dictating" what the private sector should do, and arguments over how it will hurt small businesses. The situation in Arkansas probably previews what will happen. Pryor has come out against Obama's minimum wage idea, but supports the state's own minimum wage increase ballot initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom