• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are worried about ties to Wall Street since for some reason people think that's a major reason Hillary suffered. The difference is Hillary lost for a multitude of other reasons, and most of her Wall Street interactions were as a private citizen after she left State. There's a massive difference between taking campaign donations as a New Jersey Senator from Wall Street, and going there and making several million dollars giving speeches to them imo. At least with Booker he can point to the fact that a lot of the people who work on Wall Street live in Jersey, so he was taking donations from his actual constituents.

Agreed 100%. I think the key point though is that Booker is charming and likeable, so attacks like that will roll off.

We simply can't nominate someone who is immune from attack. Even if our candidate is squeaky clean, Republicans will lie and make up fake scandals and stories like they tried to do to Obama. The truth doesn't matter. What matters is that our candidate can connect with people and get their support regardless of the scandals or controversy, which will always be there. And I really think Booker can do that.

I mean, Obama received a shitload of money from Wall Street but the attacks didn't stick even though they were true. . . Because at the end of the day people like Bams. They will like Booker too.

The degree to which politicians on the right and left lump consensual prostitution with sex slavery and put them both under "Human Trafficking" annoys the shit out of me.

wutwutwut

Did this get posted?

C17cwnPUoAA62bU.jpg:large

Mikey Neumann Verified account
‏@mikeyface

The pages are blank.

https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/819334956027695104

As that reply says, this is Bluth-level madness. Those look exactly like reams of blank paper straight out of the packaging.

Dream big! The GOP has the governor's mansions for Maryland, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Vermont. It's not for sure but I think Ohio is definitely within reach in 2018.

My bigger worry is Kasich running for Brown's seat, but I guess if Brown loses that he wasn't going to win the presidency in 2020 anyways.
Not sounding like Kasich goes for it, honestly. I think his best bet would be to stay on the sidelines throughout Trump and hope he gets obliterated in 2020 so Kasich can swoop in as the moderate savior. Hell I'm pretty sure this was his game plan already, just without that pesky Trump winning thing.

But yeah if he does jump in he could easily beat Brown so let's hope against that.

As for winning the governor's race I just want to temper my expectations, but I'd still expect the Democrats to fight like hell for it and for holding Brown's seat. I consider 2018 to be the OHDP's last stand. If they blow it they're shut out of Ohio government for another ten years. The new redistricting plan might help but the governor's party can basically pass gerrymanders anyway, they just have to reconvene every four years instead of ten if it's not a unanimous vote.

And like even if the gubernatorial nominee ends up being kind of a dud (I would hope this isn't Tim Ryan's fate), there still needs to be some effort and energy behind the campaign. The top of the ticket drives turnout and the GOP nominates and wins with boring fucks all the time. The Democrats used to too. Even if all you can do is limp your way to a 5-point loss that's still not a huge drag downticket or in other statewide races.

Since the Senate map sucks and the House is gerrymandered, governor's races should be our focus. If all we can do is win statewide because the state legislature maps are fucked (but don't forfeit those either), then let's sweep 'em.

NeoXChaos

Not sounding like Kasich goes for it, honestly. I think his best bet would be to stay on the sidelines throughout Trump and hope he gets obliterated in 2020 so Kasich can swoop in as the moderate savior. Hell I'm pretty sure this was his game plan already, just without that pesky Trump winning thing.

But yeah if he does jump in he could easily beat Brown so let's hope against that.

As for winning the governor's race I just want to temper my expectations, but I'd still expect the Democrats to fight like hell for it and for holding Brown's seat. I consider 2018 to be the OHDP's last stand. If they blow it they're shut out of Ohio government for another ten years. The new redistricting plan might help but the governor's party can basically pass gerrymanders anyway, they just have to reconvene every four years instead of ten if it's not a unanimous vote.

And like even if the gubernatorial nominee ends up being kind of a dud (I would hope this isn't Tim Ryan's fate), there still needs to be some effort and energy behind the campaign. The top of the ticket drives turnout and the GOP nominates and wins with boring fucks all the time. The Democrats used to too. Even if all you can do is limp your way to a 5-point loss that's still not a huge drag downticket or in other statewide races.

Since the Senate map sucks and the House is gerrymandered, governor's races should be our focus. If all we can do is win statewide because the state legislature maps are fucked (but don't forfeit those either), then let's sweep 'em.

OHDP is used to being shutout though. They've been shutout of the governors mansion for the last 22 of 26 years aside from 2007-2011.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
From the OT just in case the thread was going to fast

The man behind the sensational story concerning information the Russian government had supposedly collected about Donald Trump is a former British intelligence operative and was a longtime intelligence source for the U.S. government who had assisted the FBI during an investigation into corruption by FIFA, the world soccer association, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The operative — identified today by the Wall Street Journal as Christopher Steele, a former Russian operations officer for Britain's MI6 intelligence agency — had worked as a consultant for the FBI's Eurasian organized crime section, helping to develop information about ties between suspected Russian gangsters and FIFA, said one of the sources, who is directly familiar with Steele's work.

Steele had been hired originally to investigate Trump by his political opponents, and he decided to share his information with the FBI last year. The preexisting relationship between Steele and U.S. officials is one reason the FBI took the operative's allegations seriously when he first turned over a written dossier, filled with uncorroborated ”raw intelligence" about Trump, to one of the bureau's agents in Rome last summer, the sources said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-man-behind-the-trump-dossier-was-former-british-spy-004221154.html

Ogodei

Iowa and New Hampshire being the first two states will help in stopping something like that I think.

Bernie will likely have a massive influence in deciding who gets the nom. And no way he endorses the parties corporate losers. Sure he might fuck up with a bad endorsement but it won't be an "unexciting" pick

Clinton was interesting as someone from the more corporate wing of the party who had a strong base among the parties minority supporters. Straight corporatists like Cuomo won't be able to get off the ground, but neither will a non-intersectional candidate like Sanders who can't get traction with the minorities.

Owzers

CNN didn't get half serious about this massive trash heap until the rnc convention, they are dealing with flat out liars and don't have the luxury of both sidesing everything because the election is over, I don't think Kellyanne looks bad really, she looks like a winner and CNN is crying foul. It's going to take a united effort by the media not to let trump lie unchecked, but I doubt it will happen.

Clinton was interesting as someone from the more corporate wing of the party who had a strong base among the parties minority supporters. Straight corporatists like Cuomo won't be able to get off the ground, but neither will a non-intersectional candidate like Sanders who can't get traction with the minorities.
It will be interesting to see going forward how the South will vote in primaries. Clinton is sort of the last Democrat with national clout to have been seriously involved with politics in the South and now, barring an entry from Cooper, I'm not sure who it find will most appealing as a bloc. Would someone like Brown, who has a sizable base of non-southern black voters be able to make the same inroads there that he can in Ohio? Would they gravitate towards someone like Booker because they want to support another serious African-American candidate? Without Clinton's skill in Northeastern and Southern Democratic politics I don't know if candidates from other minority-heavy states outside the South will be able to connect in the same way.

This is getting juicy now
This evening, I had the opportunity to speak with President-elect Donald Trump to discuss recent media reports about our briefing last Friday. I expressed my profound dismay at the leaks that have been appearing in the press, and we both agreed that they are extremely corrosive and damaging to our national security.

We also discussed the private security company document, which was widely circulated in recent months among the media, members of Congress and Congressional staff even before the IC became aware of it. I emphasized that this document is not a U.S. Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC. The IC has not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable, and we did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions. However, part of our obligation is to ensure that policymakers are provided with the fullest possible picture of any matters that might affect national security.

President-elect Trump again affirmed his appreciation for all the men and women serving in the Intelligence Community, and I assured him that the IC stands ready to serve his Administration and the American people.

Trump outright lied that he was never briefed on this. Blatant lie.

Valhelm

contribute something
The degree to which politicians on the right and left lump consensual prostitution with sex slavery and put them both under "Human Trafficking" annoys the shit out of me.

I get where you're coming from, but consensual prostitution is rarely that. A woman who chooses to become a prostitute is almost always making that choice out of necessity. The alternative is abject poverty or homelessness.

I get where you're coming from, but consensual prostitution is rarely that. A woman who chooses to become a prostitute is almost always making that choice out of necessity. The alternative is abject poverty or homelessness.

Doesn't this, only does job because poverty is other option, imply that being a Walmart greeter is slavery.

I don't think those jobs should be made illegal either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
His account is totally nuked too. Even the name is now just a generic user number. So he's probably not coming back.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You just lit up the Pigeon symbol in the night sky.

jk it's actually white supremacy that summons him [/well meaning meta snark]

Edit: mods have made it clear adam asked to be banned/nuked. There was no bridge burning account suicide and he's free to come back when ever, should he choose to.

You just lit up the Pigeon symbol in the night sky.

jk it's actually white supremacy that summons him [/well meaning meta snark]

Edit: mods have made it clear adam asked to be banned/nuked. There was no bridge burning account suicide and he's free to come back when ever, should he choose to.

Yeah he's doing fine. Married with Children and whatnot now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The thing is Cuomo is already working to fix that. He's made $15/hr happen, paid family leave, he's working on free college tuition for NY (with Bernie next to him) and if that goes through expect to see some form of single payer out of him. I'm getting scared watching him go, everyone else looking to run needs to step it up and fast.

I'm going to say that both Walmart greeters and prostitution should be legal.

I prefer Sweden's approach to prostitution where BUYING sex is illegal but selling yourself for sex is not. It helps protect the prostitutes because the customers know that if they hurt a prostitute they can easily be thrown in jail.

I prefer Sweden's approach to prostitution where BUYING sex is illegal but selling yourself for sex is not. It helps protect the prostitutes because the customers know that if they hurt a prostitute they can easily be thrown in jail.

This doesn't really work that well either according to many sex workers IIRC.

I hope Adam comes back when we have all weathered the next four years with Democratic big majorities in both houses of Congress and a Democratic Presidency in 2020.

I can dream, right?

mo60

I hope Adam comes back when we have all weathered the next four years with Democratic big majorities in both houses of Congress and a Democratic Presidency in 2020.

I can dream, right?

At this point a democratic presidency in 2020 looks likely along with control of the senate if the Russia story has any more legs and ends up kicking trump out of the presidency.

The thing is Cuomo is already working to fix that. He's made $15/hr happen, paid family leave, he's working on free college tuition for NY (with Bernie next to him) and if that goes through expect to see some form of single payer out of him. I'm getting scared watching him go, everyone else looking to run needs to step it up and fast.
Oh man, Cuomo getting single payer?

I really don't like him but on the surface level he's got an amazing record to run on when he does. (I'm saying when because reality) Don't forget gay marriage - NY legalizing it was I think a rather large milestone/turning point. One of the biggest, richest states in the country, passed by the legislature, and the first time media coverage was almost completely positive and supportive instead of "oh but it's controversial!" And Cuomo was a very public face in that regard.

Hate to do the gossipy psychoanalysis stuff but I wonder if he feels obligated to run because his dad never did.

Still totally confused about the Clapper revelation tonight. As I hear people spinning it many different ways...

Let's see if I have it right.

Clapper met with Trump on Friday. According to CNN from Tuesday, Trump was told by Clapper the Russians are trying to compromise him in some shape or form(duh).

Wednesday's revelation from Clapper(10 Eastern) is that the 35-page Dossier was not part of the 2 page summation that Trump was told on Friday...the US Intel hasn't used that document in any shape or form...thus there is some other intelligence Clapper has.

Didn't Trump accuse the Intel Community of leaking the dossier today during his press conference as well?

The confusion: I see some people on GAF(in the megathread in OT) saying Trump was aware of the dossier by Clapper on Friday and thus Conway and Trump lied yesterday on Seth Myers and today during the Press Conference(of course they lied but not on the shit the specific shit they say they're lying on). The NBC story says otherwise.

I'm very confused. Russia is winning, on GAF at least.

Mainstream media, in print at least, is doing a horrible job with the Clapper update.

Cuomo vetoed public defender funding like three weeks ago.
Oh yeah, he does plenty of horrible shit to make up for the good stuff he passes. Like credit where it's due, but it's blatantly self-serving.

If he wasn't in such a liberal state and the Democratic Party wasn't clearly moving closer to Bernie Sanders I don't think he'd be doing any of this. Trotting out Sanders to endorse his college plan is shrewd, even when Sanders will undoubtedly critique him heavily during the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom