• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you get more establishment than Bill Richardson...

Extoling the dignity of work doesn't seem like the best message when there's no plan to get these people into work. When's the last time a Red State Senator won the Democratic nomination? McGovern?

Tall4Life

Extoling the dignity of work doesn't seem like the best message when there's no plan to get these people into work. When's the last time a Red State Senator won the Democratic nomination? McGovern?

That's not terribly long ago if you factor in incumbents and how there's only a presidential election every 4 years.

It was just a joke lol, he was the only minority governor I could think of with signifcant experience. I guess there's Deval Patrick too.

Hirono's available in the Senate too I suppose. I'm not really familiar with her. The point was that for VP experience minority choices are pretty slim outside the House.

Also for the record I definitely think if our nominee is a white man they should definitely have a minority VP. Harris is probably fine.

numble

Al Gore.

I'll still say it: Obama should have done more. He could have. I don't care if it would have been perceived as influencing the election. This is a crisis.

He could have. But he also believed Clinton had it in the bag.

Underestimating Trump has always been the worst thing about the last election.

Chumley

Banned
I just saw the Carter page interview. Wtf

The entire Trump campaign and the majority of his cabinet is in the tank for Russia, I'm certain of it now.

The question is why did they all lie about it? What deal did Trump make with Russia, and what was the process like when instructing everyone on his team about talking with them? I wonder if they know he's being blackmailed and each of their talks with Russian envoys was to check up with them on the status of the campaign, or timing of DNC info drops, etc.

I'll confess that I was wrong to get super sad Wednesday morning while the media showed off its massive erection from Tuesday's speech. I should know better than to think the administration can go even 1 day without looking like clowns, and that pattern seems like it's pretty solid after 6 weeks. Hell, there've been so many intel leaks the past few days that headlines are burying others that would and should be covered on their own.
We call this the Utah Dogwhistle.
That sounds more like a lewd sex act than a political gimmick. Decent band name, alternatively.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I went looking for a new PoliGAF thread. I assumed I missed a thread jump it's so slow in here. Is everyone in the happening bunker?

I've said it for awhile now, but experience is a detriment to our side since it means you might have compromised at some point to get something passed, and that's a no-no these days. It's why I'm almost certain we need one of our freshman Senators to be on the ticket; no real record to tie them down with the dreaded C word.

It's not just the fact many Democrats are corrupt and compromised. It's also about their poor judgement and will to fight for what they/their base thinks is right.

Jeffrey Toobin said:
By 2014, immigration activists began putting greater pressure on Obama to take executive action to help more families. ”When Boehner pulled out of the process, that's when there was a total focus on the President, because the legislative door had been shut," Clarissa Martínez, of La Raza, said. The White House felt the heat. ”There was a period in 2014 when the immigration activists gave up on Congress and said it's now on the President," the former White House aide said. ”They started calling him Deporter-in-Chief. The President brought them all in. He said by criticizing him they were letting the Republicans off the hook. He said he needed more time. He said, ‘I will do everything I can at the end of the summer.' " But Democratic Senate candidates in competitive races, like Kay Hagan, in North Carolina, implored the White House not to take any controversial steps on immigration before the midterm elections. Obama agreed; activists seethed; virtually all the Democratic candidates, including Hagan, lost anyway.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/27/american-limbo

Then, they lose power anyway. It's very sad. Just like all the folks who said they couldn't afford to take a chance on anyone else but Hillary Clinton lol.

It's not just the fact many Democrats are corrupt and compromised. It's also about their poor judgement and will to fight for what they/their base thinks is right.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/27/american-limbo

Then, they lose power anyway. It's very sad. Just like all the folks who said they couldn't afford to take a chance on anyone else but Hillary Clinton lol.
Hagan voted against the DREAM Act, too.

We probably could have legislated that if Democrats weren't such shitheads. It failed by 5 votes iirc and 5 Democrats crossed party line.

sazzy

6ou3Yy4.png

lol

Blader

It's possible I'm just falling for it, but it sure seems like Tillerson is actually trying to do an OK job

There were a number of anecdotes about Tillerson between his nomination and his hearing about how the guy is genuinely a patriotic boy scout (literally, he was an Eagle Scout) who wants to serve and look out for his country.

Now, a lot of Republicans who are not exactly on the straight and narrow would characterize themselves the same way. But, I do think Tillerson is not the Dick Cheney/Hailburton retread some feared he would be and he is trying to make an effort of doing a good job here. And on the Paris agreement in particular, I think he recognizes -- and said as much at his confirmation hearing -- that when nearly the entire world is joined together in a pact like this, it's not in America's interest to not have a seat at the table. I think that's why the Iran deal will also end up surviving despite Trump's campaign rhetoric to the contrary.

In the latest Intelligence squared podcast, Jeffrey Sachs relayed an anecdote that indicated other countries were being persistent in pressing environmental issues--and it seemed that the administration was responsive.

dramatis

"The Atlantic Politics & Policy Daily: Rand Paul and the Chamber of Secrets"

He even has the curly hair for it lol

Trump’s promise to use existing funds to begin immediate construction of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border has hit a financial roadblock, according to a document seen by Reuters.
An internal report, previously reported by Reuters, estimated that fully walling off or fencing the entire southern border would cost $21.6 billion - $9.3 million per mile of fence and $17.8 million per mile of wall.

But so far, the DHS has identified only $20 million that can be re-directed to the multi-billion-dollar project, according to a document prepared by the agency and distributed to congressional budget staff last week.
They have enough right now to pay for 0.001% of the wall

Not disputing these points - they are definitely true - but I think it's an awful idea to buy into. You're basically conceding anyone who has proven their capability to handle politics is tainted, and allowing the gross stupidity of the electorate to lead "with feelings", rather than educating them. Compromise and experience will be what's needed come 2020, and to have to ignore that in favour of voter appeasement is pretty disgusting. :(

I don't agree with it at all, but the only way to cut down on some of this primary shit is to have someone on the ticket with no accomplishments who can also demonstrate intellectual curiosity to convince people like us. That strongly helped Obama.

Kusagari

Tillerson seems like the kind of guy who understands that chaos and the world ending is bad for business.

Tillerson might actually end up being the best pick since, unlike the rest of the buffoons - including Trump himself, he actually is a good businessman and understands how stupid Trump's moves are for business at large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom